Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

What Are Alogrithms? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are Alogrithms? (2093 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Alogrithms? by Cybergenius(m): 6:29pm On Jun 27, 2014
What are alogrithms, how are they used, what are they used for , and why do computer scientist need it?
Re: What Are Alogrithms? by Donkunxex(m): 6:37pm On Jun 27, 2014
Cybergenius: What are alogrithms, how are they used, what are they used for , and why do computer scientist need it?

thesame question I checked on google...still don't get...... pls. gurus come back...nl is back oi...come ansa dis question
Re: What Are Alogrithms? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 27, 2014
Cybergenius: What are alogrithms, how are they used, what are they used for , and why do computer scientist need it?

Algorithms and not alogrithms are step-by-step procedure you use to solve a particular problem. Algorithms close to a programming language are called pseudo-code.

They are used in your computer programs or abstractly.

They are used in computer science to solve computer related problems.

Computer scientist needs them to solve i.e sorting and searching and tracking problems. E.g of such algorithms are sorting algorithms(merge sort, bubble sort, quick sort), searching algorithms(binary search),tracking algorithms(prim's,kruskal's and dijkstra's algorithm(finding shortest path to a location in a graph(note that graph here could be a city)
)
)

myview

1 Like

Re: What Are Alogrithms? by Nobody: 12:35am On Jun 28, 2014
An example of algorithm is this:
Problem: I want to eat fried chicken, but i dont have money and i dont have chicken but i can afford corn. And to make matters work, I cannot even kill or fry a goddamn chicken.

Algorithm:
Step 1: Buy 20 naira corn
Step 2: Close all my doors except the one that leads into my siting room
Step 3: Form a trail from my gate to my sitting room
Step 4: Hide somewhere and wait for an unsuspecting fowl to start eating the corn from my gate till it enters my sitting room
Step 5: I shut my sitting room door after the visitor enters, and calls paddy4destiny to come and solve the remaining tasks.

Disclaimer: No fowls were harmed, killed, fried or eaten in the making of this thread.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Alogrithms? by Mikocake(m): 6:22am On Jun 28, 2014
*dhtml:
An example of algorithm is this:
Problem: I want to eat fried chicken, but i dont have money and i dont have chicken but i can afford corn. And to make matters work, I cannot even kill or fry a goddamn chicken.

Algorithm:
Step 1: Buy 20 naira corn
Step 2: Close all my doors except the one that leads into my siting room
Step 3: Form a trail from my gate to my sitting room
Step 4: Hide somewhere and wait for an unsuspecting fowl to start eating the corn from my gate till it enters my sitting room
Step 5: I shut my sitting room door after the visitor enters, and calls paddy4destiny to come and solve the remaining tasks.

Disclaimer: No fowls were harmed, killed, fried or eaten in the making of this thread.
lolz..Alobam
Re: What Are Alogrithms? by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 28, 2014
Sorry, sorry y'all, i meant to say that the stuff i posted above is an alogrithm like the poster asked.

Let me give you the pin.chur of an algorithm

Re: What Are Alogrithms? by Donkunxex(m): 8:29am On Jun 28, 2014
tankz
Re: What Are Alogrithms? by stevedeey(m): 3:19pm On Jun 28, 2014
They have all given you the answers to what algorithm is.
A stepwise approach to providing solutions to computer related problems is Algorithm..
To simplify complex problems you have to represent them firstly in algorithm. Its diagramatic representation is flowchart.
They both help programmers to represent the flow of their original program. algorithm is like a model, a prototype or an artifact that a programmer can tailor his real program after.
Unlike a real programming language algorithm does not follow a specific programming syntax neither does it obey any rule. It only gives clue of the real program.
for example, you want to write an algorithm to represent how u can add twi numbers together....
start
Step 1: Declare the the two numbers, num1 ,num2
Step 2: input num1,
Step 3: input num 2
Step 4: add num1, num2
Step 5: output addition
stop
I hope those little facts help?/
Re: What Are Alogrithms? by losprince(m): 5:40pm On Jun 28, 2014
Algorithms are steps taken to solve problems, its not only applied in computer science but its widely used there.

Algorithm to avoid data loss after a hack

backup!
backup!!
seun backup!!!

note : Algorithms are simple and straight forward and must lead to the end of the problem.

in programming there are two main types of Algorithms, pseudo codes and flow charts

pseudo codes are steps written in phrases close to a programming language that solves the problem.

flow charts are pictorial representation of the program
Re: What Are Alogrithms? by adexsimply(m): 7:56pm On Jun 28, 2014
Nice one @ dhtml. But what eventually happens when he can't blame anyone?
Re: What Are Alogrithms? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 28, 2014
Then and then only, we shall blame GEJ once again (he is always getting all the blames).
Re: What Are Alogrithms? by adexsimply(m): 8:48pm On Jun 28, 2014
*dhtml:
Then and then only, we shall blame GEJ once again (he is always getting all the blames).
lol... grin
Re: What Are Alogrithms? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jun 28, 2014
and we can blame seun too

(1) (Reply)

Logging In Problem: I'm Using Php And Mysql / Website Vs Web Application. The Difference. / Does Any Functional Programmer Here Use Julia?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.