Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

So What Would Be The Job Of The Medical Doctor? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / So What Would Be The Job Of The Medical Doctor? (1249 Views)

Fake Female Medical Doctor Apprehended In Abuja (Photo) / Photos: Meet The Medical Team That Kept Ebola Away From Nigerians / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So What Would Be The Job Of The Medical Doctor? by nobilis: 4:50pm On Jun 29, 2014
Everyone in the health sector is clamoring for more interaction with the patients. Everybody in the health sector wants to be more in touch with patients. Most of them use the phrase: "for better patient care and management" to cover up the greed behind their desires.

The nurses want to be consultants who will be meting out patient care tips to patients who come to the hospitals. And I ask: what should the medical doctor be doing?
The lab scientist wants to be in total charge of hospital laboratory services. And I ask: what then is the role of the clinical pathologist?
The pharmacist wants to be the one prescribing medications and advising patients on which drugs to take and which to avoid. And I ask: what should the doctor be doing?
The radiographer wants to be in total charge of hospital radiology departments. And I ask: what should the radiologist be doing?

I'm asking these because those countries that these people cite as examples still have medical doctors whose work is well-known and respected.
Re: So What Would Be The Job Of The Medical Doctor? by evanscheck(m): 12:46am On Jun 30, 2014
nobilis: Everyone in the health sector is clamoring for more interaction with the patients. Everybody in the health sector wants to be more in touch with patients. Most of them use the phrase: "for better patient care and management" to cover up the greed behind their desires.

The nurses want to be consultants who will be meting out patient care tips to patients who come to the hospitals. And I ask: what should the medical doctor be doing?
The lab scientist wants to be in total charge of hospital laboratory services. And I ask: what then is the role of the clinical pathologist?
The pharmacist wants to be the one prescribing medications and advising patients on which drugs to take and which to avoid. And I ask: what should the doctor be doing?
The radiographer wants to be in total charge of hospital radiology departments. And I ask: what should the radiologist be doing?

I'm asking these because those countries that these people cite as examples still have medical doctors whose work is well-known and respected.

If a doctor spend all these years in school and come out yet does nt know wat he/ she shud be doing then he/she shud go and collect all the school fees he / she paid from primary to university and even sue them for time wasting cos he or she have not gained anything from them.they all decieved d person and dey are fraudsters.

2 Likes

Re: So What Would Be The Job Of The Medical Doctor? by prettyprettywow: 2:14am On Jun 30, 2014
Perfect!!!
evanscheck:

If a doctor spend all these years in school and come out yet does nt know wat he/ she shud be doing then he/she shud go and collect all the school fees he / she paid from primary to university and even sue them for time wasting cos he or she have not gained anything from them.they all decieved d person and dey are fraudsters.
Re: So What Would Be The Job Of The Medical Doctor? by nobilis: 9:12am On Jun 30, 2014
evanscheck:

Well said, my man.
But then everybody in the Nigerian health sector is saying that doctors are incompetent and are clamoring to occupy the role of doctors. If the pharmacist starts prescribing drugs and the nurse wants to start consulting with patients and all such things, what will a doctor be doing?

In our labs, the med lab scientists are saying that the labs shouldn't be headed by physicians. But there are physicians who are specifically trained to oversee hospital laboratories and those physicians are called pathologists. So if the med lab scientist says the labs shouldn't be headed by the pathologist, what then would be the job of the pathologist?

In radiology departments, there are physicians who are specifically trained to read and interpret radiological investigations and those physicians are called radiologists. But radiographers in most hospitals are preventing radiologists from doing their jobs. So what then would be the job of the radiologist?

I hope you get my drift now.
Re: So What Would Be The Job Of The Medical Doctor? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 30, 2014
nobilis:

Well said, my man.
But then everybody in the Nigerian health sector is saying that doctors are incompetent and are clamoring to occupy the role of doctors. If the pharmacist starts prescribing drugs and the nurse wants to start consulting with patients and all such things, what will a doctor be doing?

In our labs, the med lab scientists are saying that the labs shouldn't be headed by physicians. But there are physicians who are specifically trained to oversee hospital laboratories and those physicians are called pathologists. So if the med lab scientist says the labs shouldn't be headed by the pathologist, what then would be the job of the pathologist?

In radiology departments, there are physicians who are specifically trained to read and interpret radiological investigations and those physicians are called radiologists. But radiographers in most hospitals are preventing radiologists from doing their jobs. So what then would be the job of the radiologist?

I hope you get my drift now.

A recent court judgement upheld the fact Pathologist and MLS are different professional disciplines and therefore one can not seek to head the other (Suit No. NICN/ABJ/128/2012: Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria vs. Hon. Attorney-General of the Federation, Hon.
Minister of Health & others ).
The headship of clinical aspect as regards pathology belongs to the Pathologist who is a Consultant Physician and has duty to advice other physicians on pathology results as regards disease state. Pathologists are licensed physicians trained to attend to and treat patients with abnormalities in their areas of specialization. .

A Scientist in the medical laboratory is academically and professionally empowered on the methodology, principle, management and skills require to obtain results from patient's samples. Parading the corridors in hospitals seeking to countersign laboratory result forms of work performed by medical laboratory scientists or struggling to analyze specimens will in no way improve patient care. License is original authority derived from law to perform a speciļ€ed task and the Scientist has that license as encompassed in the in MLSCN act which is Nigerian Law.

http://www.mlscn.gov.ng/files/mlscn_docs/MLSCN_ACT.pdf

It is on record that the Medical Defense Union in the UK had advised pathologists against signing forms of work not done by them which equates to intellectual theft/plagiarism.( Dr Okara 2014)

What the court is saying in effect is that, Pharmacist can't head an MLS, and a Doctor can't head a pharmacist in a multidisciplinary system as obtainable in the health sector, that's exactly the precursor of the present rancour. Head your department/directorate and allow other professionals to head theirs.
Re: So What Would Be The Job Of The Medical Doctor? by adeoladrg(m): 2:51pm On Jun 30, 2014
nobilis: Everyone in the health sector is clamoring for more interaction with the patients. Everybody in the health sector wants to be more in touch with patients. Most of them use the phrase: "for better patient care and management" to cover up the greed behind their desires.

These practices they undergo in the countries we run to for treatment is what we are clamouring for.

Enuf said about the incompetence of doctor. Only someone who has lost a loved one to a doctor's mistake will understand this! I pray it doesn't happen to you.

That's said, don't go saying pharmacists want to prescribe, you're feeding the public with a very wrong info.

Now your question: What will the medical doctor be doing?

My question is, what are the medical doctors in saner climes doing? Have they been displaced? An emphatic NO!

So what are they doing?

(1) (Reply)

Disastrous Accident At Ikotun, Lagos. / What Causes A Blister/pain Spot To Appear On The Corner Of Lower Lip / Trado Medical Doctor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.