Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,754 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders (863 Views)

Learn Web Design With Video Tutorials From Nairaland -HTML,CSS,BOOTSTRAP Etc. / A Lesson To Anyone Who Wants To Hire Anyone From Nairaland/online / Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by oskaaay(m): 4:15pm On Jun 30, 2014
I couldn't hold this anymore but pour out my heart to help my readers worldwide especially Nigerians. To the glory of God am a website designer at Foskaay Enterprises and had pretty good works online like informationvill.com ; careerpingger.com ; kaybaba.com ; revlisimo.com ; shop.revlisimo.org etc. doing fine in their own paste some own by me or designed for others. The reason for this introduction is not to market my skill but to get my readers aware that the writer of this article is not a newbie nor ja-ja-si (dummie) to the website world so you can listen to pick one or two things. In quick list I want to highlights lessons to learn from Nairaland hacks which kept it down for nothing less than 5 days (Dollars missed daily for Seun Osewa and other NairaLanders making it big through the platform).

Lessons:

1. Treat website like business even if you don't earn from it yet or ever!
Although this may not affect Seun Osewa much has he is trying his best but what about you and I. Some of us Nigerians see website has what you design, put it there and forget (no wonder many domain names expires without owner been aware of it. I have some customers like that now) to run itself. If you open a business offline or work in an organization and you don't check-in for weeks am sure you know the implication, that is the same with which a website online operates. It must (not should) be checked often to monitor its states.

2. Do technical checkup for your website as often as possible?

Now, let’s get something here and I quote as posted by stan-ogb on a post about Nairaland resurrection:
"On the other hand, i observed that the hackers that tried to wipe out this forum had successfully wiped their data till about January 11. We pray such thing does not happen again."

Do you know that there is scarcely any successful hacking on a website without attempts? I perceive that seun osewa may have missed this lesson out to give technical check on this forum as often as possible because he would have diagnosed and discover the attempts and even if he can't stop it he would have backup his business outside the host like subscribing to an insurance company in the real offline business world. With that he could have stop or just restore the backup easily if that is what happened oooooo (am not having the fact here).

2.1 How to technically checkup your website?
(i) Check your website activities alert platforms like email often to discover any technical activities behind the scene of your website that you can't know from the frontend. Example. One of my website, I had checked the updates email for a while until just recently I took to it again. surprisingly I found out that hackers have been trying to penetrate but thanks to God and the security measures was strong enough to repel them and they had continue trying (wickedness dies hard) till they had gotten my USERNAME perfectly well and now trying PASSWORD (with that have lost 50% security protection already to such hackers). When I saw it I screamed within and jumped to the backend and did few things you should also do if it happens to you (I created another username and password, transferred all post attached to the former one and finally deleted the user account straight away). If I had over trusted my password and overlook such or didn't even check the email in weeks from then. They may possibly had taken over my website by now and leave me to start clearing their mess when they finally leave.

2.2. Always update outdated tools like template, plugins, widgets, etc. once you get notifications. It may cause vulnerability to your website for hackers.

2.3. Let’s change the mentality of just patronize cheap but baseless designers out there.
For example I got a client in need of an active forum almost equal to Nairaland in features but for an organization. it includes programming that allows people to submit forms aside from signing up the forum, the forms will give out a printable page after successful inputs for registered person to print a copy and the organization will have an interface within to confirm anyone that comes to their office online as a registered member.

With all these I billed the customer sincerely #200,000 with two years hosting (unlimited), security of database, social media and 3 months free service/technical support after installation etc. Guess what my readers....NAIJA stuff naauuuuuhhhhhhh.... One person involved came up and said he has guys (designers so to say) that will get that done for him for MAXIMUM (yes mean highest) of #20,000 (twenty thousand Naira) and could even beat price down to #15,000 that if I can handle it I should stay or forget it. What do you expect from people like me (just a small boy though). I said you are free to go I CAN NOT HANDLE such.
Now tell me which site will fall possibly as the number one hack victim if not for websites with the above features that net the design only #15,000 only with hosting, design programming, security etc. CHAI!!!! Although Foskaay Enterprises is offering web design promo of #15,999 but not for website of that class I noted and closed the chapter with them.
Do you see such scenario? Please be conscious of too cheap to be through website design fees and designers...my humble advice
I am sorry that I will have to stop here for now for a reason that am still a LEARNER and believed that I have experts ahead of me reading this. Forgive me for blunders and unprofessional advice or confrontation to people especially my dear brother (Seun Osewa) but I plead for something please include your own leasons learnt from NairaLand hack and also tell us other website safe (design, security, backup etc.) use TIPS.

Thanks for time well spent with this little boy. I remain
[img]http://4.bp..com/-Tcnh1KxWyrA/UInrkOrcOeI/AAAAAAAAAXs/sPD_JdGK0bY/s400/osk+4visaL.png[/img]
Olasunkanmi Ayomide Fakeye
Foskaay Enterprises
www.informationvilla.com
www.foskaay.com

1 Like

Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by ibitomisi: 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2014
oskaaay: I couldn't hold this anymore but pour out my heart to help my readers worldwide especially Nigerians. To the glory of God am a website designer at Foskaay Enterprises and had pretty good works online like informationvill.com ; careerpingger.com ; kaybaba.com ; revlisimo.com ; shop.revlisimo.org etc. doing fine in their own paste some own by me or designed for others. The reason for this introduction is not to market my skill but to get my readers aware that the writer of this article is not a newbie nor ja-ja-si (dummie) to the website world so you can listen to pick one or two things. In quick list I want to highlights lessons to learn from Nairaland hacks which kept it down for nothing less than 5 days (Dollars missed daily for Seun Osewa and other NairaLanders making it big through the platform).

Lessons:

1. Treat website like business even if you don't earn from it yet or ever!
Although this may not affect Seun Osewa much has he is trying his best but what about you and I. Some of us Nigerians see website has what you design, put it there and forget (no wonder many domain names expires without owner been aware of it. I have some customers like that now) to run itself. If you open a business offline or work in an organization and you don't check-in for weeks am sure you know the implication, that is the same with which a website online operates. It must (not should) be checked often to monitor its states.

2. Do technical checkup for your website as often as possible?

Now, let’s get something here and I quote as posted by stan-ogb on a post about Nairaland resurrection:
"On the other hand, i observed that the hackers that tried to wipe out this forum had successfully wiped their data till about January 11. We pray such thing does not happen again."

Do you know that there is scarcely any successful hacking on a website without attempts? I perceive that seun osewa may have missed this lesson out to give technical check on this forum as often as possible because he would have diagnosed and discover the attempts and even if he can't stop it he would have backup his business outside the host like subscribing to an insurance company in the real offline business world. With that he could have stop or just restore the backup easily if that is what happened oooooo (am not having the fact here).

2.1 How to technically checkup your website?
(i) Check your website activities alert platforms like email often to discover any technical activities behind the scene of your website that you can't know from the frontend. Example. One of my website, I had checked the updates email for a while until just recently I took to it again. surprisingly I found out that hackers have been trying to penetrate but thanks to God and the security measures was strong enough to repel them and they had continue trying (wickedness dies hard) till they had gotten my USERNAME perfectly well and now trying PASSWORD (with that have lost 50% security protection already to such hackers). When I saw it I screamed within and jumped to the backend and did few things you should also do if it happens to you (I created another username and password, transferred all post attached to the former one and finally deleted the user account straight away). If I had over trusted my password and overlook such or didn't even check the email in weeks from then. They may possibly had taken over my website by now and leave me to start clearing their mess when they finally leave.

2.2. Always update outdated tools like template, plugins, widgets, etc. once you get notifications. It may cause vulnerability to your website for hackers.

2.3. Let’s change the mentality of just patronize cheap but baseless designers out there.
For example I got a client in need of an active forum almost equal to Nairaland in features but for an organization. it includes programming that allows people to submit forms aside from signing up the forum, the forms will give out a printable page after successful inputs for registered person to print a copy and the organization will have an interface within to confirm anyone that comes to their office online as a registered member.

With all these I billed the customer sincerely #200,000 with two years hosting (unlimited), security of database, social media and 3 months free service/technical support after installation etc. Guess what my readers....NAIJA stuff naauuuuuhhhhhhh.... One person involved came up and said he has guys (designers so to say) that will get that done for him for MAXIMUM (yes mean highest) of #20,000 (twenty thousand Naira) and could even beat price down to #15,000 that if I can handle it I should stay or forget it. What do you expect from people like me (just a small boy though). I said you are free to go I CAN NOT HANDLE such.
Now tell me which site will fall possibly as the number one hack victim if not for websites with the above features that net the design only #15,000 only with hosting, design programming, security etc. CHAI!!!! Although Foskaay Enterprises is offering web design promo of #15,999 but not for website of that class I noted and closed the chapter with them.
Do you see such scenario? Please be conscious of too cheap to be through website design fees and designers...my humble advice
I am sorry that I will have to stop here for now for a reason that am still a LEARNER and believed that I have experts ahead of me reading this. Forgive me for blunders and unprofessional advice or confrontation to people especially my dear brother (Seun Osewa) but I plead for something please include your own leasons learnt from NairaLand hack and also tell us other website safe (design, security, backup etc.) use TIPS.

Thanks for time well spent with this little boy. I remain
[img]http://4.bp..com/-Tcnh1KxWyrA/UInrkOrcOeI/AAAAAAAAAXs/sPD_JdGK0bY/s400/osk+4visaL.png[/img]
Olasunkanmi Ayomide Fakeye
Foskaay Enterprises
www.informationvilla.com
www.foskaay.com
nice job.

1 Like

Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by oskaaay(m): 4:52pm On Jun 30, 2014
ibitomisi:
nice job.

Thanks and please any contribution if you are a webmaster......be rate of hacking attempts on websites this day is a concern to me....having more than two website that am managing...tired of all this...please help oooooooo.....although I have security on ground but learning more is also essential....
Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by ibitomisi: 4:57pm On Jun 30, 2014
oskaaay:

Thanks and please any contribution if you are a webmaster......be rate of hacking attempts on websites this day is a concern to me....having more than two website that am managing...tired of all this...please help oooooooo.....although I have security on ground but learning more is also essential....
Lol! If I have half of the knowledge you have on web design, mehn!!!! leme just save it.

1 Like

Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by oskaaay(m): 5:24pm On Jun 30, 2014
ibitomisi:
Lol! If I have half of the knowledge you have on web design, mehn!!!! leme just save it.

ahh..you made me laugh like this naaaaaaunnnn grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin just a little boy still learning though!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by DualCore1: 6:42pm On Jun 30, 2014
What serious organisation or web master keeps backups of a server on the same server? Why are they called backups?

Sadly its a common trend and its a shame that people who you expect should know better still make very silly mistakes intentionally mostly because they have this feeling that it wont happen to them....until it happens.

3 Likes

Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by oskaaay(m): 6:55pm On Jun 30, 2014
Dual Core: What serious organisation or web master keeps backups of a server on the same server? Why are they called backups?

Sadly its a common trend and its a shame that people who you expect should know better still make very silly mistakes intentionally mostly because they have this feeling that it wont happen to them....until it happens.

That is true....but can you help with safer mediums to save the backups outside like mail etc....Please list them if you do not mind because other webmasters are reading......
THANKS!!!
Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by oskaaay(m): 8:18pm On Jun 30, 2014
Am very happy that my article here was perfectly right as Mr. Seun Osewa has finally consented to this when I read a recent post from him.... Website is an enterprises that requires strict management and monitoring as he said. WEBMASTERS lets beef up our website security and call out for help from reliable webmaster when issues strucks check his post at https://www.nairaland.com/1793151/concerning-catastrophic-loss-valuable-data
Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by OXCUBA: 8:19pm On Jun 30, 2014
Dual Core: What serious organisation or web master keeps backups of a server on the same server? Why are they called backups?

bro I feel your pain ..... we are all humans .... mistakes are bond to happen.... no body is ''Mr know it all''

1 Like

Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by Djtm(m): 12:49am On Jul 01, 2014

I guess he was just trying to cover up the fact that he doesn't make backups. I have my doubts though, since he said it was on a different disk on the same server. It's still difficult to believe tho. I can picture seun lashing someone who suggests keeping backups on the same server as the main site.

1 Like

Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by DualCore1: 10:03am On Jul 01, 2014
OXCUBA: bro I feel your pain ..... we are all humans .... mistakes are bond to happen.... no body is ''Mr know it all''

There is a difference between mistakes and carelessness. I think putting the word "mistake" in my first post was a wrong choice. A mistake is when you do something you don't know you shouldn't do. Carelessness is when you do something you know you shouldn't do.

This is not a mistake made by Nairaland, it is carelessness.

oskaaay:
That is true....but can you help with safer mediums to save the backups outside like mail etc....Please list them if you do not mind because other webmasters are reading......
THANKS!!!
The most important question is: What should I backup?
Most sites are dynamic today, such dynamism is powered by the database. So a key aspect of your backup should be your database. There is a tendency to think that we will never need a backup so we become careless with the issue. Personally I am too busy to be running backups manually, well thanks to cron jobs.

A simple script can be used to make remote backups of your files and databases. When placed in a cron job, this script can run hourly, daily, weekly without your attending to it. You may choose to have such backups packaged and sent to your mailbox or any other hosting account you have.

The key thing is that there should not be a single point of failure between your main site's location and its backup location.
Put simply, if you have your site in Port Harcourt, put the backup in Sokoto.

3 Likes

Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by oskaaay(m): 10:13am On Jul 01, 2014
Dual Core:

There is a difference between mistakes and carelessness. I think putting the word "mistake" in my first post was a wrong choice. A mistake is when you do something you don't know you shouldn't do. Carelessness is when you do something you know you shouldn't do.

This is not a mistake made by Nairaland, it is carelessness.

The most important question is: What should I backup?
Most sites are dynamic today, such dynamism is powered by the database. So a key aspect of your backup should be your database. There is a tendency to think that we will never need a backup so we become careless with the issue. Personally I am too busy to be running backups manually, well thanks to cron jobs.

A simple script can be used to make remote backups of your files and databases. When placed in a cron job, this script can run hourly, daily, weekly without your attending to it. You may choose to have such backups packaged and sent to your mailbox or any other hosting account you have.

The key thing is that there should not be a single point of failure between your main site's location and its backup location.
Put simply, if you have your site in Port Harcourt, put the backup in Sokoto.

is the script what could be given out...if not how may we talk better maybe on whastapp, email, etc. sir.
Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by DualCore1: 10:32am On Jul 01, 2014
oskaaay:
is the script what could be given out...if not how may we talk better maybe on whastapp, email, etc. sir.

This is a script to backup your detabase. If you're a PHP developer you can modify it to backup your files.

http://pastebin.com/9rpedgKu
Re: Lessons To Learn From NAIRALAND Shut Down Over 5days For ALL Nairalanders by oskaaay(m): 10:49am On Jul 01, 2014
Dual Core:

This is a script to backup your detabase. If you're a PHP developer you can modify it to backup your files.

http://pastebin.com/9rpedgKu

THANKS so much...already open to check the page and saw the code.....busy now but will check later.THANKS AGAIN SIR! grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Get These 4 Hot In Demand Traffic Softwares And Get Over 10k Daily Visitors / Free Domain & Hosting For A Year / Blogger Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.