Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,964 members, 7,821,390 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Why Are Christian Fundamentalists So Anti-intellectual? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Christian Fundamentalists So Anti-intellectual? (1381 Views)

Jesus Just Sent A Message To Me. Dear Christian Fundamentalists Here. / Why Are Christian Against The Use Of Hijaab / Pastafarian Procession Attacked By Russian Police, Christian Fundamentalists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Christian Fundamentalists So Anti-intellectual? by huxley(m): 12:16am On Oct 06, 2008
Why are Christian fundamentalists so Anti-intellectual?  Scandal of the evangelical Mind  discusses this sad state of affairs in great depth.

Here is the opening paragraph of this book;

The scandal of the evangelical mind is that there is not much of an evangelical mind. An extraordinary range of virtues is found among the sprawling throngs of evangelical Protestants in North America, including great sacrifice in spreading the message of salvation in Jesus Christ, open-hearted generosity to the needy, heroic personal exertion on behalf of troubled individuals,  and the unheralded sustenance of countless church and parachurch communities. Notwithstanding all their virtues, however, American evangelical are not examplary for their thinking, and they have not been so for several generations.
Re: Why Are Christian Fundamentalists So Anti-intellectual? by plusQueen: 12:20am On Oct 06, 2008
what a restless soul.
Rest in peace!
Re: Why Are Christian Fundamentalists So Anti-intellectual? by davidylan4(m): 1:16am On Oct 06, 2008
same old fraud. They think being atheist suddenly makes them more intelligent. Someone pls tell them about Isaac Newton and co.

I read their writings and i wonder who they are decieving . . . huxley is trying to claim to be intellectual by copying and pasting the ideas of others? grin What a complete tool.
Re: Why Are Christian Fundamentalists So Anti-intellectual? by huxley(m): 10:06am On Oct 06, 2008
davidylan*:

same old fraud. They think being atheist suddenly makes them more intelligent. Someone please tell them about Isaac Newton and co.

I read their writings and i wonder who they are decieving . . . huxley is trying to claim to be intellectual by copying and pasting the ideas of others? grin What a complete tool.

What about Isaac Newton and Co.? Were they intelligent? Is what what you are trying to say?

By the way, the author of this book is himself a christian evangelical. Here is parts of a review taken from Amazon;

Mark Noll is a chaired professor of "christian thought," at Wheaton College - one of the great Evangelical liberal arts colleges, as well as being one of the leading church historians of our time. Noll is also one of the leading public intellectuals within the Evangelical movement. (By public intellectual, I mean an academic whose is grounded in rigorous scholarship but who also writes - at a high level - for the general public. Stephen Carter of Yale is another good example of a Christian public intellectual.)
Evangelicals are all too often typecast as hillbillies who neither read nor think. Like most stereotypes, there is a grain of truth to the characterization - where there is smoke there is usually fire. In the "Scandal of the Evangelical Mind," Noll issues a wake-up call for a renewed commitment to the life of the mind on the part of Evangelicals. Noll begins by persuasively demonstrating the existence of an intellectual deficit among Evangelicals. In contrast to the Catholic-leaning journals like First Things or the New Oxford review, there is no real Evangelical journal of public thought. There are few scholarly journals focusing on Evangelical perspectives. Evangelical colleges emphasize teaching at the expense of scholarly research, despite decades of proof that the good teaching and good scholarship goes hand in hand.
Re: Why Are Christian Fundamentalists So Anti-intellectual? by Lady2(f): 7:34pm On Oct 06, 2008
Hux,

for once I may agree with you, just take a look at SARAH PALIN!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Bid To Ban GOD From Obama's Inauguration oath swear-in / Whose Ideological Box Is Bigger? / Olabowale, Your Attention Is Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.