Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,973 members, 7,814,307 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) (25822 Views)

Design And Build Of A Pure Sine Wave Inverter / Whatsapp Reborn Version 1.80 / (RAPP Version 1.5) Reminder Application Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:06pm On Jul 01, 2014
Objectives:
Considering the high cost of commercially available MPPT based solar charge controllers,
I decided to build one for myself at a much lower cost and secondly, to have customizable features.

Methodology:
Solar charge controllers are majorly DC buck converters.
There are several methods of achieving MPPT based charge controllers.

These briefly are:
Perturb and observe, Incremental conductance, Current Sweep Method, Constant voltage.
The first four methods involve storing the PV (photovoltaic) array Voc (Open circuit voltage) /current
against the controller output voltage Vout/current with varying pulse widths applied to the buck converter.
The stored points are then compared and that with the maximum power transfer value is then used to
switch the semiconductors in the controller for a fixed interval after which the process is repeated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:08pm On Jul 01, 2014
The method chosen by me is number five – the constant voltage method.

Each manufacturer’s PV array has what is known as an IV curve i.e. a curve
showing the maximum current that can be supplied at a particular voltage
from the panel. At some point along this curve is the maximum power transfer point.
The point showing maximum current at maximum voltage
this point is known as the knee of the IV curve.

This is shown below.

1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:08pm On Jul 01, 2014
An approximate maximum transfer point can then be obtained by switching at a constant ratio
of Vout/Voc.

My PV modules are “Joy Solar” panels each rated 200W, 24V DC.
They are connected three in series to give Voc (an open circuit voltage)
of maximum 90V at peak irradiance. These series strings are then run in parallel
I experimented with different pulse widths ranging from 0.6 to 1 of Voc
and finally settled for 0.8

This was the point I achieved a maximum power transfer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:10pm On Jul 01, 2014
BLOCK DIAGRAM of SYSTEM DESIGN

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:11pm On Jul 01, 2014
PCB artwork from top in clockwise direction

1. Top silkscreen
2. Double sided copper pcb
3. Top side layout
4. Bottom side layout

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:12pm On Jul 01, 2014
PCB board after etching of artwork

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:12pm On Jul 01, 2014
PCB After adding components

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:13pm On Jul 01, 2014
Microprocessor Control part simulation in PROTEUS

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:14pm On Jul 01, 2014
Screenshot of my desktop showing my design in PCB artist

Top layer tracks are in red, bottom layer tracks in brown

1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:14pm On Jul 01, 2014
Highside mosfet approx. 32khz,12v peak-peak drive signal on Oscilloscope set to differential mode

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:16pm On Jul 01, 2014
Fully assembled and installed.

Some changes had to be made, number of toroids in output inductor was increased from two to three
to reduce system losses due to heat

input/output terminals were melting at above 20A so I removed them and soldered wires directly to the board

initial backlit blue background LCD replaced with more passive green background LCD

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:16pm On Jul 01, 2014
Controller at night time
relays disconnect the controller from the PV array

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:18pm On Jul 01, 2014
Some useful design tools

1. InductorRing program from Vladmir Denisenko (search google)

1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 2:18pm On Jul 01, 2014
2. Power stage designer tool from Texas Instruments

1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hi bro, nice information. But i was expecting you were building it from scratch not prebuild. Anyway do inbox me ur contact, we could work on something together
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 3:10am On Jul 03, 2014
@mrnestyy1985:

It was built from scratch by me. The design is not exactly rocket science.
The issue of being prebuilt or not was discussed in the previous version of this post before the recent loss of data on nairaland.
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by ucheezeigbo(m): 2:42pm On Jul 03, 2014
Hi engr @nisol. This is a great design and full of innovations. I work for a solar based marketing company as an engineer and am happy to learn how the components I sell are really made. My number is 07030098944 and email is ui_coole@yahoo.com. I would like to meet you and learn more from you. Give me a look in sometime, please.
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by usisky(m): 11:14am On Sep 21, 2014
Hi Mr. nisol. Really nice design you've done. I really appreciate your input, especially you presentation.

A while ago, I did some research into the workings of the MPPT technique. I read a lot of application notes, notably from manufacturers like Microchip, Atmel and Intersil. But I never really got round to doing any work related to it largely because of other engagements. But with what you have done and presented here, you have just helped sparked my interest in that again. Though, I am interested in SMPS technology in general.

Out of curiosity, I would like to ask: Have you done any work on offline SMPS designs before?

Thank you much much!!
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 11:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
@usisky

Once you control the the on/off duration of semiconductor switches in a
to influence the output of a power circuit, you have an SMPS (switch mode power supply).

This project involves SMPS technology in two places.

(1) the DC-DC stepdown (48V -12v/5v) flyback converter
(2) buck converter switched at 40khz.

In the not to distant future I will post more detailed SMPS designs.
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by usisky(m): 11:12am On Sep 26, 2014
@nisol

Peace and thanks for your response.

Yes! I understand that it is "switch mode" technology too. I was just curious to know if you've done designs on "offline" SMPS. I am very much interested in that, hence, my asking.

Your contribution has been immense. I hope some day we'll get to do some designs together.

Thanks Sir.
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by dknagare: 4:45am On Nov 15, 2014
Dear Sir,

how can I get software and PCB file

Regards

Datta
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by laco: 12:01pm On Sep 16, 2015
Dear sir,

how can I get software file, PCB, schematic diagram.

Laco
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by temizeee(m): 2:34pm On Oct 30, 2015
my oga o rep you oooooo.......u dey build mppt cc!!!!! am highly impressed for these,how is the function of the cc now or u build it for someone?
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by muthusld: 6:53am On Dec 25, 2015
Dear sir,

how can I get software file, PCB, schematic diagram.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 30, 2015
Lalasticlacla...fp oo
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by nisol: 4:55am On Feb 15, 2017
Version II

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by mrchuckz: 3:53pm On Feb 15, 2017
LETS TALK.
gadgetpalaz@gmail.com
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by ghostt: 2:55pm On Mar 11, 2017
Advanced Mppt Controller, using incremental conductance, interleaved to 180 degree out of phase for better performance, up to 80 amp 96v , displays parameters on LCD and battery voltage auto selectable. ##updated##

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by Janyves(m): 2:12pm On Mar 12, 2017
Impressive........
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by emmantrop: 11:48am On Apr 03, 2017
Please sir, How can I get the schematic diagram and pcb of this Design. Thanks
Re: Design And Build Of A 48v 40a Mppt Solar Charge Controller. (version 1) by dragnet: 3:36pm On Apr 12, 2017
this is encouraging

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Surprising Things You Can See From Space / How To Stop Or Cancel Data Auto- Renewal On Mtn, Glo, 9mobile And Airtel / 4 Similarities Between Human Being And Chimpanzee - Aroms Aigbehi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.