Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,176 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Homosexuality And Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Homosexuality And Religion (719 Views)

self-service Leads To Homosexuality--watchtower / UK Man Preached Against Homosexuality And He Was Sent Straight To Jail. / Homosexuality And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homosexuality And Religion by Onenaiija: 3:34pm On Jul 01, 2014
Stumbled upon this post online.... and thought it wise to share...
I was born and raised Christian (catholic), but I have grown to see that religion is a bundle of contradictions and a tool for manipulation and domination. I therefore prefer to describe myself nowadays as spiritual but not religious. Our country is packed full of churches and mosques and yet still deteriorating and going down the creeks at an alarming rate. Despite their weekly (Friday or Sunday for the Muslims and Christians respectively) those of “the opium of the masses”, the people are still full of hypocrisy and wickedness. Anyone who has observed less religious (and more advanced) parts of the world will immediately see less strife, more harmony, more equity and generally more peaceful and reasonable societies. I therefore without any apologies, prefer not to allow my life be run by outdated theories of dubious origin.
I walk with God every day and till the day he kicks me out himself, I will not accept rejection by religious institutions. On the contrary, He’s been very kind to me. I like to think of the saying that Religion is man’s way of reaching out to God, as opposed to Spirituality- which is individual and relationship based.

Some people were born gay, some stumble into same sex attractions by accident etc, whatever the story may be, I totally reject the notion that being gay is wrong especially as the basis for this assertion is the words contained in a 4000year old book written by a bunch of Jews whose motives and circumstances we cannot even begin to understand nor to recreate today.

Let me refer to the Bible- In the book of Deuteronomy 21v18-21-summary of this biblical passage encourages a stubborn child be put to death. Also Chap.25 also encourages a brother in case of the death of his own brother; inherit the wife as his own, and so many horrendous laws. Did you know the bible fully supported slavery? So do we now imbibe these laws in our time because the bible encourages it some years ago? I do tell people the Old Testament is so inapplicable. The whole sense of the bible to me is in the New Testament; clearly Jesus Christ never uttered a word condemning Homosexuality. But he indirectly recognizes alternative sex orientation as in Matthew 19:12… “There are eunuchs, who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” Same Matthew and even Luke alluded to the greek word ‘pias’ in a way suggestive of same-sex relationship. Read more about that in the reference below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_homosexuality

The article is objective, it argues for and against. After the second testament, the Bible very much needs more testaments as evidence of review according to human development and evolution in the society.

Islam on the other hand out rightly states what it is, condemns it and even goes as far as to state the punishment for the sin if one doesn’t repent and cease from the act. Islam prohibits its followers from listening to music, and says whoever steals should have their wrist chopped off. I don’t agree with that and I don’t think most Muslims in the 21st century would agree to that.

Religion is such a powerful overlord. The thing with religion and its dogma is that it is frigid and inflexible, it doesn’t accommodate change. It is also very archaic, religious laws came thousands of years ago in primitive times.

If you study the language of the biblical story about David & Jonathan which even the Bishop TD Jakes has acknowledged as a gay story- though he says it doesn’t prove the bible supports being gay.

Nigerians will argue that Homosexuality is alien to our culture and religion; and shouldn’t be accepted, First of all the so called Christianity is foreign to us, but still the originators of this religion have accepted gay rights. They have seen the need for change and thereby evolved their thinking faculty to accept gay rights. Coming to culture, Homosexuality is ‘unafrican,’ they say, and we will not become like the west. The west is not exactly a homosexual haven; acts of discrimination against homosexuals are not uncommon in the US and Europe. But it is the idea of ‘unafricanness’ that is truly insidious. No one can authenticate that any ancient culture frowns at homosexuals. To the best of my understanding; Esu, the Yoruba god of trickery (not same as biblical Satan) has homosexual qualities.

The braided hair of Shango, god of Thunder is suggestive of bisexuality. Likewise, similar braids on Ode, the cult of hunters who live deep in the forests without female company for long periods, or of the naked all-male Egungun masquerade cult that must not be seen by women, are all suggestive of the undiscussed sides of traditional spirituality and sexuality. Spirituality and sexuality do not have to be at odds. For the unpretentious few, the two might actually mean the same thing.

Additionally, the notion of a loving and benevolent God creating some people gay through no fault of theirs and then condemning them to eternal blazes is in my opinion fatally flawed.

Homosexuality has nothing to do with religion. Sexuality is a part of being human; you don’t choose to be gay or straight. But u can choose to drop all forms of mental and emotional slavery. Viva Revolucione!!!

When I was sixteen or thereabout; my uncle once made a statement which I overheard from my room while he was chatting with my Dad. My Dad had just told him that one of his friends had discovered his son was gay and his immediate reply shocked me and sent deep shivers through my body; he said “Those idiots should be burnt!” and my dad’s reply was not encouraging, he said “God will punish them all if they don’t change”., the society should be careful about what they say, because a child nearby is listening.

Ashimolowo said, “Homosexuality is a thing of the mind and the people you hang around with.” I chuckled. Oyakhilome said, “Just because you couldn’t overcome a habit & formed a ‘union’ of like minds agitating for equal rights doesn’t make it right.” Adefarasin called it “demon of homosexuality.” The truth of our human condition is that we are a diverse, multi-faceted species. The measure of our humanity lies, in part, in how we think of those different from us. We cannot – should not – have empathy only for people who are like us.

It’s a f*cking stupid messed up world; I have got my God; he speaks to me every day; some things I just can’t work out, I let them be – because I know one day he will make me understand; I have got that trust, it’s called belief.

At this juncture, I question the church (Christianity) on their stand towards us. The church is like a home for all, so whatever they do, their decisions, their judgments and verdicts counts and influences individuals and societies a lot, especially in the African environment; so the church has a big role to play in changing the world and its assimilation of gays, but it is so unfortunate that the church has failed to see the big picture and has decided to abide by their books (doctrine), simply because they don’t want to be seen as failures, they know the truth, but they choose to keep quiet, and act ignorant of the “truth”, thereby invariably causing havoc and misdirection to gays trying to find their footing in life. Pope Francis at his inaugural mass said “Looking upon every man and woman with tenderness and love is to open up a horizon of hope; it is to let the shaft of light break through the heavy clouds.” Every time we express love or kindness or even a little compassion, we spark hope in another person.

Accept yourself for who you are, love yourself because no one else will, figure out how best to exist in whatever circumstances you happen to find yourself and work very hard towards securing some happiness for yourself in a world which seems bent on stripping you of every last shred of joy. The truth is that no straight person can ever understand what it means to be gay, lesbian, bisexual or otherwise just like you can’t understand the pain of a sickler in crisis or the pangs of childbearing if it’s not happening to you.
Re: Homosexuality And Religion by Onenaiija: 4:35pm On Jul 01, 2014
Full article from a Nigerian gay blog >>>http://tbcloset./2014/06/29/homosexuality-and-religion/
Re: Homosexuality And Religion by myads890(m): 5:46pm On Jul 01, 2014
nigerian gays have a blog? shocked
Re: Homosexuality And Religion by Vansnickers: 6:59pm On Jul 01, 2014
myads890: nigerian gays have a blog? shocked
Fool.
Re: Homosexuality And Religion by TheShopKeeper(m): 11:16pm On Jul 01, 2014
Homosexuality is a sin – not a lifestyle

Romans 1:24-32 (NIV)
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
1 Corinthians 6:12-20 (NIV)
12 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13 You say, “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.” The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”[17 But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.[c]
18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
Re: Homosexuality And Religion by myads890(m): 11:58am On Jul 02, 2014
Van snickers:
Fool.

Your great grandfather's great grandfather
Re: Homosexuality And Religion by Ubenedictus(m): 1:22am On Jul 03, 2014
Van snickers:
Fool.
it is a good question, does nigeria have a gay blog, i thought the new bill ended all type of gay associations including such thing as a gay blog.

Maybe i am wrong.

(1) (Reply)

Forget Any Religion And PRAY! / Did The Historical Jesus Really Exist? / American Ebola Survivor Calls The Outbreak 'a Fire Straight From The Pit Of Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.