Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,250 members, 7,839,301 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Adebayor Temporarily Retires From Togo Nt - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Adebayor Temporarily Retires From Togo Nt (664 Views)

Emmanuel Emenike Retires From The National Team / The Expensive Cars Asamoah Gyan And Adebayor Drove To Kumasi / Emmanuel Adebayor Retires From Togo International Duty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Adebayor Temporarily Retires From Togo Nt by Jarus(m): 8:37am On Oct 06, 2008
See story:

http://mtnfootball.com/live/content.php?Item_ID=16539

I see this as pride. Poor football administration is almost everywhere in Africa. It's just sacrifice he has to make. Weah singlehanded funded Liberian national team.
If Adebayor was just struggling to make a name for himself, maybe he was playing in Israel or Malta, will he have done that? I believe this stardom is getting into his head. Recall McCarty too, at the peak of his stardom, used to have problem with SAFA. Mikel too appears to be treading this part.

By the way, is Adebayor more star than Kanu? Kanu was (and maybe still) always ready for Nigerian national team assignments, even though I doubt if Togo FA can be more disorganized than NFA.
Re: Adebayor Temporarily Retires From Togo Nt by Tatase(f): 6:40pm On Oct 06, 2008
This is not at all surprising from Adebayor, I mean its not the first time he's holding his national team to ransome because of principles/pride/poor management/money (re: world cup '06 where he again caused bad feelings in his team at the event proper over money and management). I mean its bad that your country mistreats you when you come for international matches (i mean with all the fan adulation and being a national hero and star of the team) AND we all know he's positively STARVING (living on that 75k a week shoestring budget ) so he can't reconcile himself to just sucking it up for national pride like the rest of his teammates.

Of course it's not right that FAs cheat players and organize things badly, it's horrible and unfair! But, at the same time, he's not the only one and he's not really punishing anyone but his Togolese fans and his teammates by temporarily resigning. The whole thing is just immature. If he wants to retire, he should retire like a man and fully burn his bridges and stop this faffing around. Is it because he's the star and he knows they'll take him back anytime he's ready that he's "temporarily resigning". It's just not right.
Re: Adebayor Temporarily Retires From Togo Nt by bawomolo(m): 12:59am On Oct 07, 2008
true this sounds like a punk ass one leg in-one leg out move. retire if you want to retire. football is a team sport, you gotta learn to check your ego especially when playing for your country.

(1) (Reply)

Did Aboutrika Need To Own A Glo Sim To Win The African Footballer Of The Year? / Who Will Win This Weekend's Turkish Grand Prix / Job Exhibition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.