Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,080 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? (4417 Views)

Cross River Workers' January Salary Paid On 15th Of January / Should I Return The Funds / Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by AmenJoan(f): 3:00pm On Jul 02, 2014
I resigned a month ago from a government agency (name witheld). I was paid in error a month after. I got a call from the head office that I should return the money to the agency's account.
Before you go ahead to answer whether it is right or not to return this money and the possible consequences of not returning it, let me give you some background gist.
I joined the agency a little over two years ago, had to resign because I got another job that was more convenient for me even though not as well paying. So when I joined, I was to get what they call first 28 days allowance amounting to over 300,000 naira. Up till when I resigned, the agency didnt pay that money. Then they started deductions from salary about 8 months ago (amounting to almost 200,000 for this period), claiming they will pay it when the national budget is passed. Till I resigned I didnt get that either. So the question now is am I owing them or are they owing me? what would you do if you were in my shoes?

P.s They asked me to pay this money to the agency's account, and I am well aware that it is CBN that pays our salaries, the account statement shows that too.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by johnwizey: 3:39pm On Jul 02, 2014
Return wetin....abeg na wetin go happen go happen o. Hw much is the said money?
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Redoil: 3:48pm On Jul 02, 2014
If you return the money will it go back to cbn? Na wa for nigeria
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 02, 2014
I was initially going to jump into preaching about how its the right thing for you to do, bla bla bla...
But after reading ur post properly i realised two things:
1. The money will not go back to CBN, the agency is going to share it among their top mgt
2. they're owing you much more than that, which i can almost certainly assure u they will never pay up, from the tone of ur post

Therefore my advise to u is to keep the money, don't spend it for about a month (just in case). If possible transfer the money to another account (since its a salary account, it may be possible for them to collude with the bank to "rectify the error"wink
#MyPersonalOpinion

1 Like

Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by adaleng(f): 5:53pm On Jul 02, 2014
My personal opinion is to get a lawyer 2 write 2 d agency 2 pay up d bal 4 d remaining 28days payment, Den copy CBN. In case dey want 2 bring up a case cos the money wont get bck 2 CBN.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by uboma(m): 6:02pm On Jul 02, 2014
Justosaus: I was initially going to jump into preaching about how its the right thing for you to do, bla bla bla...
But after reading ur post properly i realised two things:
1. The money will not go back to CBN, the agency is going to share it among their top mgt
2. they're owing you much more than that, which i can almost certainly assure u they will never pay up, from the tone of ur post

Therefore my advise to u is to keep the money, don't spend it for about a month (just in case). If possible transfer the money to another account (since its a salary account, it may be possible for them to collude with the bank to "rectify the error"wink
#MyPersonalOpinion

Very wrong advise...

@op, since the agency has requested that you return the money paid to you in error, please do so to maintain a clean reputation for yourself. You can pay into the agency's account so that you will have evidence of payment (i.e the deposit slip) for future references. You can even make a case for the unpaid allowance that lawfully belongs to you later in the future and even citing the money you returned when you discovered that it was paid in error (that will be a plus for you, trust me).

This reminds me when i left FCMB for another bank some years ago. the following month, i received a credit alert of some money (commission for having maintained a level of cash deposits during my stay). At first, i reported to the bank about the deposit but when i was told that it was commission for my sweat, i relaxed.

So my dear, there are more diplomatic ways to fight your cause. Refund the money and maintain your rep.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 02, 2014
uboma:

Very wrong advise...

@op, since the agency has requested that you return the money paid to you in error, please do so to maintain a clean reputation for yourself. You can pay into the agency's account so that you will have evidence of payment (i.e the deposit slip) for future references. You can even make a case for the unpaid allowance that lawfully belongs to you later in the future and even citing the money you returned when you discovered that it was paid in error (that will be a plus for you, trust me).

This reminds me when i left FCMB for another bank some years ago. the following month, i received a credit alert of some money (commission for having maintained a level of cash deposits during my stay). At first, i reported to the bank about the deposit but when i was told that it was commission for my sweat, i relaxed.

So my dear, there are more diplomatic ways to fight your cause. Refund the money and maintain your rep.
Its people like you that make me hesitate before commenting on Nairaland. If you read my footnote you'll see i stated clearly that it was "my own personal opinion". Now on what template did you judge my opinion as right or wrong? We're not all the same and even if we were, circumstances are different....

1 Like

Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 02, 2014
How about you reply them detailing the outstanding claims they are yet to pay you? They may have forgotten about it (although I don't know how a responsible organisation would).

I guess it's all up to your conscience.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by AmenJoan(f): 8:07pm On Jul 02, 2014
Thanks a lot for all your advise guys. Appreciate. How can they forget how much they owe me? I think I'll take d advise of the poster that said I should write to them detailing the amount I am owed. The agency doesn't have an account, it's CBN directly that pays us. I intend to ask for the account number tomorrow, lemme see which account they intend me to pay it into. The said money is roughly 120000, it used to be 140k until they started removing 20k per month saying when the budget is passed, they will refund.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by uboma(m): 8:14am On Jul 03, 2014
Justosaus:
Its people like you that make me hesitate before commenting on Nairaland. If you read my footnote you'll see i stated clearly that it was "my own personal opinion". Now on what template did you judge my opinion as right or wrong? We're not all the same and even if we were, circumstances are different....

Whether it was your personal opinion or not, its morally wrong to keep what does not belong to you...
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by KillerBeauty(f): 9:11am On Jul 03, 2014
Return it

1 Like

Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by AmenJoan(f): 5:27am On Jul 04, 2014
It's painful because I still owe money I used in paying rent when I took this job. I was hoping to use the 28days allowance to offset that. But they refused to pay it. Please more responses from FG workers will be appreciated. Would like to know the best route to recover my money if am going to return this one. Thank you
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by davide470(m): 7:32am On Jul 04, 2014
The best way to resolve this is: Draft a mail to CBN (Head of Accounts or something), copy Head of Accounts of your former agency, HR, Head of your unit. The mail should entails the date of your resignation, the error salary paid, your agency requesting you to pay d said amount in their account, your outstanding allowance owed and finally, ask for an advice.

Pls do this, if you don't want to work in a Federal Agency again.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by AmenJoan(f): 10:37am On Jul 04, 2014
davide470: The best way to resolve this is: Draft a mail to CBN (Head of Accounts or something), copy Head of Accounts of your former agency, HR, Head of your unit. The mail should entails the date of your resignation, the error salary paid, your agency requesting you to pay d said amount in their account, your outstanding allowance owed and finally, ask for an advice.

Pls do this, if you don't want to work in a Federal Agency again.

Ha, I want to work in a federal agency nau, what's the possible outcome of taking this route?
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by davide470(m): 3:40pm On Jul 04, 2014
Amen Joan:

Ha, I want to work in a federal agency nau, what's the possible outcome of taking this route?
Your former place of work will make your case personal, and would retaliate anyway.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by EHITZ(m): 7:49pm On Jul 04, 2014
Speaking from a legal perspective and having considered all issues raised, i will advice you to write a letter of demand, detailing all that is supposed to accrue to you while your stay at the agency lasted.
My guess is that you stay in Abuja, if that is the case, we could arrange to meet for an interview, mail us at starlionlegal@yahoo.com
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by AmenJoan(f): 6:09pm On Jul 05, 2014
Don't stay in abuja, but you are making sense

EHITZ: Speaking from a legal perspective and having considered all issues raised, i will advice you to write a letter of demand, detailing all that is supposed to accrue to you while your stay at the agency lasted.
My guess is that you stay in Abuja, if that is the case, we could arrange to meet for an interview, mail us at starlionlegal@yahoo.com
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 05, 2014
uboma:

Whether it was your personal opinion or not, its morally wrong to keep what does not belong to you...
i know ur type
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by AmenJoan(f): 9:42am On Jul 07, 2014
So this issue has taken a new dimension, I have been asked to write another resignation letter and put today's date. Something is sounding fishy about this? What do I do guys, please help
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 07, 2014
AmenJoan: So this issue has taken a new dimension, I have been asked to write another resignation letter and put today's date. Something is sounding fishy about this? What do I do guys, please help
okay
make u dey there na
instead of u to take d money and walk away u dey dull urself
Writing a new resignation letter will only "prove" to unsuspecting people dat u have bin working since, therefore the salary (which u're about to return) can never now go to CBN, its for the agency to share. Except maybe u get a lawyer to advise u/contact dem, i see u losing both ways
#AgainMyPersonalOpinion-For the Holier Than Thous in the house
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by EHITZ(m): 6:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
AmenJoan: So this issue has taken a new dimension, I have been asked to write another resignation letter and put today's date. Something is sounding fishy about this? What do I do guys, please help
I think it is to your advantage that you are being asked to write a fresh letter, its just to put the records straight in their file, in a bid to save their own head.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by AmenJoan(f): 6:17am On Jul 12, 2014
it's risky for me jare. I have another job now so I don't want a clashing date of first appointment for this current one, and resignation date from the previous agency

EHITZ:
I think it is to your advantage that you are being asked to write a fresh letter, its just to put the records straight in their file, in a bid to save their own head.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by aseczyl(m): 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2014
Seek legal advice. If you can hold the money and then sue concerning the deduction from your salary which they promised to pay but did not. By the way, it depends on what amount the money we are talking about is, to decide whether it's even worth the whole drama.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by aseczyl(m): 12:53pm On Jul 12, 2014
AmenJoan: It's painful because I still owe money I used in paying rent when I took this job. I was hoping to use the 28days allowance to offset that. But they refused to pay it. Please more responses from FG workers will be appreciated. Would like to know the best route to recover my money if am going to return this one. Thank you
davide470(m): 7:32am On Jul 04
The best way to resolve this is: Draft a mail to CBN (Head of Accounts or something), copy Head of Accounts of your former agency, HR, Head of your unit. The mail should entails the date of your resignation, the error salary paid, your agency requesting you to pay d said amount in their account, your outstanding allowance owed and finally, ask for an advice.

Get all these ready as suggested by davide470, then present them to the bosses in the office that are demanding you return the money and then use it to blackmail them into sharing the money with you cos I believe the money is going into their personal accounts if you return it. their demand that you write a new resignation letter, postdated, is evident of this.
But try and acquire a long spoon cos you may be dinning with the devil

1 Like

Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Oxone(m): 1:18pm On Jul 12, 2014

Something doesn't smell right here so I'll advice you do the following

Have them send you a mail to that effect so that you'll have proof of whats going on.

Don't write the letter instead send them a mail demanding for what you're owed and make them understand that you'll write to CBN and the media if push comes to shove.

Their reaction after this will inform your next decision. i believe you should give them a chance to do the right thing before taking it further.

In the meantime, Return the money cos they can sabotage your new job

1 Like

Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Kx: 1:26pm On Jul 12, 2014
In case you don't know, you could lose your current job if your previous employer writes them that you were paid in error and has converted the money.
It is called integrity.

2 wrongs does not make a right. Refund the money first and foremost and write to request for your own money which they are owing you.

Please be guided.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by AmenJoan(f): 1:28pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ok guys, will return. Thanks for your input. But am still waiting for them to tell me which account to send it to. As soon as they do will refund. Will keep u guys posted.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 13, 2014
If I were you, the following will be my thoughts:

1) First of all I do not know what I may do until I am in the position.
2) Secondly they knew what they were doing right from the start and that was why they said you should change your resignation date.
3) If it was CBN that pays, how did they know you were paid.
4) Except they know where you currently work or they want to go the extra mile that's when they can sabotage your new job. Not likely however.
5) What happened to you with regards to non payment of some of your entitlements is not uncommon. It is a common practice. Though bad, na Naija we dey.
6) Let them know you understand but you would have to inform CBN that you paid it back to them. During future audits, it may bounce back and they may deny you ever paid back.
7) It's very tricky. The person contacting you may be the only one who knows about it.

What should you do? My opinion is: Send a mail stating to the appropriate quarters as usual (Former HR, Accounts, Direct Supervisor) that you received a money after you left the agency and you need advice on what to do. Mention that, there were some monies the agency owe you and you also need advice on when it will be resolved and if you are still entitled to it. You have no business with CBN.

Your only concern is keep the email, their reply especially with the bank account they sent to you and keep the teller of the money you sent and demand a reply that it has been received by them and move on.

This is my mindset this moment. It may change tomorrow so the ball is in your court.

1 Like

Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by IYIMAN: 9:52pm On Aug 13, 2014
Hello, please pay the money. You will be given an account number of the accountant general of the federation to pay to with a bank draft.... You may not pay your immediate agency. Pls then do not change your resignation date. If u need further explanations pm me. But make sUre you pay (whether or not you are paid your entitlements) . You can file for that soonest, cheers!
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by adekanmbi1986(m): 3:49pm On Aug 14, 2014
The money was paid intentionally to your account. That is the usual practice with the Government MDAs. They are aware that you are no more with them and just used your account details as a means of carrying out their illicit act. Pocket ur money.
Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:53pm On Aug 14, 2014
AmenJoan: I resigned a month ago from a government agency (name witheld). I was paid in error a month after. I got a call from the head office that I should return the money to the agency's account.
Before you go ahead to answer whether it is right or not to return this money and the possible consequences of not returning it, let me give you some background gist.
I joined the agency a little over two years ago, had to resign because I got another job that was more convenient for me even though not as well paying. So when I joined, I was to get what they call first 28 days allowance amounting to over 300,000 naira. Up till when I resigned, the agency didnt pay that money. Then they started deductions from salary about 8 months ago (amounting to almost 200,000 for this period), claiming they will pay it when the national budget is passed. Till I resigned I didnt get that either. So the question now is am I owing them or are they owing me? what would you do if you were in my shoes?

P.s They asked me to pay this money to the agency's account, and I am well aware that it is CBN that pays our salaries, the account statement shows that too.

Two wrongs have never made a right.

There is a word I love so much, its called: DUE PROCESS.

If you are certain the Money isnt yours to keep, follow due process to return it.

If they indeed owe you outstanding sums of Money, Follow Due process to get your money.

But if you keep this money, you are just as bad as the people we all complain about.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? by adekanmbi1986(m): 4:00pm On Aug 14, 2014
AmenJoan: Ok guys, will return. Thanks for your input. But am still waiting for them to tell me which account to send it to. As soon as they do will refund. Will keep u guys posted.
. Don't make such mistake of paying back the money. I have people working in account and budgets of Government MDAs, it is the usual practice just like paying ghost workers. The money won't go to the government account and you end up loosing everything including your deductions. Believe me, they can't write your employer because they are also guilty of error payment assuming it is truly error because it means they don't know what they are doing and they may end up loosing their job. You can still work with any Government MDA because Nigeria lacks good records keeping. Believe, people do this on daily basis, getting salary from the government through ERROR whatever. Conscience; even GEJ lacks that. You have been cheated in the past, now is the time to payback.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Image Of Very Young NDA Cadets. / Anambra State Judiciary Workers Begin Indefinite Strike / Polaris Bank 2022 Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.