Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name (9067 Views)

Islamic View On Keeping Wives In same House / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? / She's A Christian,am A Muslim. Can This Marriage Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by tbaba1234: 9:34pm On Jul 03, 2014
Feeling ‘reborn’ as a Muslim, ex-Playboy bunny insists on keeping Chinese name
BY SHERIDAN MAHAVERA
Published: 3 July 2014

Felixia Yeap, the former Playboy bunny who announced last Friday that she was embracing Islam, said she felt “born again” on her birthday today when her conversion would be made official.

The 28-year-old, however, said she would fight to keep her Chinese name given by her mother.

"My Chinese name means tranquility and elegance," said Yeap, who said she would take the Islamic declaration of faith in front of family members and close friends.

“Today is not just my birthday, but also the day that I am born again. The day that I finally return after 28 years of finding the way home,” wrote Yeap in her soul-baring posting this morning.

Yeap said her conversion was the result of a seven-month quest to learn about Islam, after she took to wearing the hijab, a decision which attracted criticism from her fans.

“From the moment I pledged to wear the hijab, even though I was not a Muslim at heart, until this moment (July 3, 6am) where I am a Muslim at heart who only waits for the official pronouncement, I have gone through many trials and tribulations,” said the Ipoh-born former kindergarten teacher, who once worked at The Playboy club in Macau.

Yeap, saying she had persevered months of insults and alienation because of her decision, however, paid tribute to her mother who she said bravely endured sarcasm from their relatives.

“She did not object (to it), in fact she gave her blessings when I told her that I was learning about Islam and intended to embrace the faith.

“Many converts are disowned by their families for making the same decision. Some of them hide their identities as Muslims from their family members for fear of being alienated and disowned,” she wrote.

She said when she asked her mother why she supported her decision, her mother had replied in Cantonese, "Sang seng jor lor, dai gor nui la... kwai jor hou dor" (You are grown up already, more mature ... a good girl).

“My mother smiled and I fought back my tears,” said Yeap, who also said the support and her own "stubbornness" helped her get through negative remark hurled at her.

“I admit, there were times I felt crushed and defeated.

But I firmly stood my ground and did not take off my hijab. I continued my struggle.”

When the story of her love for the Muslim head dress made headlines in December last year, many of Yeap’s 148,000 fans left her Facebook page, accusing her of a publicity stunt.

Some non-Muslims, said Yeap, had said she was doing it to marry “a rich Datuk”.

But Yeap told The Malaysian Insider last year that she could have found a rich husband a long time ago through her successful modeling career.

Of her past, Yeap said it made her realise how some considered hedonism and materialism as happiness.

“Most of the people around me judged their happiness based on their boyfriends' wealth, the happening parties they went, or how they were happy as long as they got drunk, and how much money they could scalp from their boyfriends.

“Most hungered for wealth and they searched for it without caring for their dignity.

“But for me, that was not the wealth that I longed for. For what is the point of being wealthy when your life feels empty, meaningless and drowned in sin. That is not the happiness I seek.”

Yeap, who started modeling in 2005, had bagged top prizes in a slew of contests and pageants.

She first broke the news of her conversion in front of some 2,000 people at an event ahead of the holy month of Ramadan in Shah Alam, last Friday. – July 3, 2014.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/feeling-reborn-as-new-muslim-ex-playboy-bunny-insists-on-keeping-chinese-na
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by tbaba1234: 9:38pm On Jul 03, 2014
An earlier report

Ex-Playboy bunny says she’s embracing Islam on July 3

A former Playboy bunny and model, Felixia Yeap, whose interest in the hijab drew intense media attention late last year, yesterday announced that she was embracing Islam this Ramadan.

The 28-year-old, speaking at a programme in Shah Alam in conjunction with the Islamic holy month which begins tomorrow, said she would officially recite the Muslim declaration of faith on July 3, which is her birthday, adding that the fifth day of Ramadan was Prophet Muhammad's favourite date.

Speaking in front of a 2,000-strong audience, Yeap said some of her friends have started to avoid her.

"My friends have distanced themselves from me, thinking that I wear the hijab to become a Malay, but the fact is I am attracted to Islam," she said, adding that she has support from her parents, especially her mother.

Yeap would announce her Muslim name later, saying she preferred not to reveal the place where she would recite the shahadah or oath taken by a new Muslim.

The Ipoh-born, saying she faced a huge challenge in observing the fasting month because of her gastritis, said she had bought dates which were traditionally served for breaking of fast in Ramadan.

Last year, Felixia told The Malaysian Insider of the criticism she received after donning the hijab.

“They say I did this to find a rich Malay datuk to marry. If I wanted to find a rich man, I would have done it a long time ago when I was still modelling in sexy poses. Their criticism defied logic. All I wanted to do was to cover up more and do more decent modelling," she said.

A former kindergarten teacher, Yeap started modelling in 2005 when she entered the Dewi Remaja contest organised by a magazine and became one of its finalists.

She then joined many beauty pageants and at the peak of her career, she was invited to be a Playboy bunny and worked at its club in Macau. – June 28, 2014.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/ex-playboy-bunny-says-shes-embracing-islam-on-july-3
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by maclatunji: 12:28am On Jul 04, 2014
Congratulations to her. It is quite a transition, May Allah guide her ways and ours too.

1 Like

Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by TheBigUrban2: 5:10am On Jul 04, 2014
At least she kept her cultural name. Good for her

Unlike some people we know who think that Arabic names are "islamic" and oly names
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by Rhemi1: 6:06am On Jul 04, 2014
Gud 4 her, its her decision to make, she's all grown up
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by Idrisenagi: 6:08am On Jul 04, 2014
Welcome back to the religion of Abraham,moses, jacob,joseph,jesus and muhammad.
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by Afam4eva(m): 6:09am On Jul 04, 2014
The.Big.Urban:
At least she kept her cultural name. Good for her

Unlike some people we know who think that Arabic names are "islamic" and oly names
That's the difference between a Chinese and an African. While they modify their religion to suit their culture, we in this part of the world change our culture to suit our religion.

2 Likes

Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by tbaba1234: 6:27am On Jul 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
That's the difference between a Chinese and an African. While they modify their religion to suit their culture, we in this part of the world change our culture to suit our religion.
Change of name is not a religious requirement in Islam unless the name has negative meanings.

1 Like

Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by Afam4eva(m): 6:34am On Jul 04, 2014
tbaba1234:
Change of name is not a religious requirement in Islam unless the name has negative meanings.
It's not about what ut is in islam but about what people make it out to be. They feel it makes them more Islamic to bear an Arabic name than say a Yoruba or Hausa name.
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by finah: 7:21am On Jul 04, 2014
Alhamdulillah for her. I pray that Allah strengthens her imaan and grant her the support she needs.
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by kuss: 7:41am On Jul 04, 2014
people that accept Islam leave after a year or two ask Mike Tyson, loon , Janet Jackson etc
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by tbaba1234: 7:50am On Jul 04, 2014
kuss: people that accept Islam leave after a year or two ask Mike Tyson, loon , Janet Jackson etc

Tyson, Loon and Janet Jackson are still muslims
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by Slitz(f): 7:55am On Jul 04, 2014
putting on the Hijab takes a lot of courage....a whole lot!!!...may Allah bless her and make it easy for her.

1 Like

Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by hamaworld(m): 10:12am On Jul 04, 2014
May Allah see her through. Stay bless.
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by lebienconnu: 11:02am On Jul 04, 2014
ma sha Allah. ma sha Allah.

This is always the case for those that genuinely explore Islam. Put aside all prejudice and do it with a neutral mind with the sole aim of finding the truth and you shall discover the religion of Allah to be a religion of peace in contrast to the image being painted by the "muslims" and other adversaries of Allah (swt).

1 Like

Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by ayindepremier: 12:33pm On Jul 04, 2014
kuss: people that accept Islam leave after a year or two ask Mike Tyson, loon , Janet Jackson etc
please, borrow a life. u are just so ignorant, Google can be ur best friend also Wikipedia. No Offense.
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by dragnet: 3:55pm On Jul 04, 2014

loon?? you just had to display your ignorance #MustYouTalk?!
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by dragnet: 3:58pm On Jul 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
any culture which goes against the tenets of islaam must be discarded.
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by TheBigUrban2: 6:50pm On Jul 04, 2014
dragnet:

So much for tolerance

1 Like

Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by dragnet: 8:57pm On Jul 04, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

So much for tolerance

it's either you don't understand the concept or you're merely being mischievous.
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by myads890(m): 7:25pm On Jul 05, 2014
dragnet:

Tenets of Saudi Arabia you meant to say. You're simply substituting your culture and tradition for another man's.
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by dragnet: 6:52am On Jul 06, 2014
myads890:

Tenets of Saudi Arabia you meant to say. You're simply substituting your culture and tradition for another man's.

If you really posted this, then it's obvious you know next to nothing about what is being discussed and I'd have loved to explain to you but I'd rather not.
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by myads890(m): 8:26am On Jul 06, 2014
dragnet:

If you really posted this, then it's obvious you know next to nothing about what is being discussed and I'd have loved to explain to you but I'd rather not.

You can only explain what you understand
Re: Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name by azeeza(f): 4:53am On Jul 09, 2014
Islam is a tool of personal improvement but not a means of looking down on people. Lupe Fiasco

(1) (Reply)

The Last Sermon Of Rasullulah (may Allah Have Mercy Upon Him) / Suggested Time-table For Ramadan / Are You Ready For Ramadan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.