Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,458 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? (12456 Views)

Anybody Know of any Elderly People Born in the Pre-colonial Times? / Did West Africans Reach The New World? Afrocentric Fantasy Or A New Beginning? / Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by SurePresident: 7:08am On Aug 04, 2014
Yes!

2 Likes

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by AkoEja: 7:19am On Aug 04, 2014
The main problem with Africa of the prehistoric era is that there has been no documentation of what we did in those days. Most of the history is based on oral tradition. Many achievements of Africans are therefore not provable
Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by shigoslim(m): 7:28am On Aug 04, 2014
You guys should visit ARCHIVE, where historian remains are kept. There view archive in Nigeria one at university ibadan and soko monument dedicate soko state.
Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by FlintGuevara(m): 7:33am On Aug 04, 2014
DaVinChiSam: Bros Ahu odi gi?
Biko jukwa ya ozo. Dude is plain funny!

2 Likes

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by turl(m): 7:37am On Aug 04, 2014
Chinaimporter: If by west african,u mean indigineous ones like ijaw..non but if you mean migrant ones like the igbos the yes.cast iron was discovered by the igbos around 2500bc .The true origin of the igbos lies in the sumerian city of ur near the site on ancient babylonia.the igbos establist the ubaid dynasty headed by the great igbo king meshanepada who built a ziggurat in honor of the great god nnanna(also called nanna in sumerian and sin in akkadian) who asked the igbos to migrate to other part of the world to spread civilization in the then young world. Igbos then invented the first alphabet called the cuneiform and left babylon under an igbo family called the Akadians who where the ancestors of modern arabs,Ethiopians and jews through a former sheperd of igbo orign called abraham.
The igbos then migrated to perisia which they civilized and gave her first royal dynasty and their god called Ahura mazda(i hi ura mu aza gi meaning he who answers me in my sleep)
From there they went to ancient egypt where they civilized and gave her first pyramids and also sent a delegation th civilized the barbarians in the north called the greeks.it should be noted that some of the greatest greek men where igbos eg aristotle(erie asi tolu uto), pythagoras(bia ta ara) achilles( aku ili) etc.
The igbos also enslaved the isrealites in both babylonia and Egypt and after they got tired of the city life they migrated to eastern nigeria while civilizing the Nubians, yorubas,fulanis etc on there way.it should be noted that oduduwa and bayegida were all igbos in oduduwa case yoruba legend holds that he is a fair man from the east. The igos are not desended from jews or egyptians rather thses people are all desended from the igbos and and unbiased historical evaluation would prove that

*Sigh*..here we go

1 Like

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by emenik08: 7:57am On Aug 04, 2014
My TAKE ON THE TOPIC.
The possibity that west african had been producing cast iron is there bt mainly for agricultural n sculptural purposes. I think d idea of guns came after the europeans taught us about gun powder.
Reason is that anybody that can melt iron ore n purify it a bit will definitely be able to get to cast iron. The word 'cast iron' is just iron that can be easily cast into moulds. This is because of its fluidity (ability to flow into d intricacies of d mould). Cast iron contains largest quantity of carbon in any known alloy of iron which is why it flows easily compared to other alloys like steel. Carbon easily enters iron through the fuels(charcoal, coke etc) used in melting the iron ore.
Iron ore>pig iron>cast iron>steel
the 'greater than sign' signifies futher purification.

Lastly anybdy using bare hands to handle a temperature of 1000-1200degrees celcius(handling temp for wrought iron) must be using juju or be an iron man.
Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by anonimi: 8:11am On Aug 04, 2014
pjosh1: This is the problem africa is still having, even if we first the europeans to produce cars and planes or we adopted and made advanced tech. From them during the precolonial era how has it helped us in this present time? THINK ABOUT THE PRESENT AND FURURE NOT THE PAST.. It's funny how we blame the europeans for halting development in Africa during the precolonial era

We need to constantly REMIND ourselves of our PAST achievements as a source of INSPIRATION for our current & future capabilities!
Why do you think the "developed" oyinbo societies spend so much on museums

OP, I have read some African history book that expressed the opinion that the slow down of African technological development could be linked to the desertification of the Sahara thus cutting off/reducing regular exchange/travel that promotes exchange of ideas.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by ThaProphet(m): 9:00am On Aug 04, 2014
pjosh1: This is the problem africa is still having, even if we first the europeans to produce cars and planes or we adopted and made advanced tech. From them during the precolonial era how has it helped us in this present time? THINK ABOUT THE PRESENT AND FURURE NOT THE PAST.. It's funny how we blame the europeans for halting development in Africa during the precolonial era

As much as we need people to focus on the present, we also need guardians of the past. Not everyone is going to be interested in the same thing. I also think one of the problems with MODERN Africans is the disregard for history. The past, present and future are equally important and anyone fascinated by any should be encouraged, not discouraged.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by uzoexcel(m): 10:31am On Aug 04, 2014
what are u smoking??it seems strong...imma need some of that grin grin grin grin grin
Chinaimporter: If by west african,u mean indigineous ones like ijaw..non but if you mean migrant ones like the igbos the yes.cast iron was discovered by the igbos around 2500bc .The true origin of the igbos lies in the sumerian city of ur near the site on ancient babylonia.the igbos establist the ubaid dynasty headed by the great igbo king meshanepada who built a ziggurat in honor of the great god nnanna(also called nanna in sumerian and sin in akkadian) who asked the igbos to migrate to other part of the world to spread civilization in the then young world. Igbos then invented the first alphabet called the cuneiform and left babylon under an igbo family called the Akadians who where the ancestors of modern arabs,Ethiopians and jews through a former sheperd of igbo orign called abraham.
The igbos then migrated to perisia which they civilized and gave her first royal dynasty and their god called Ahura mazda(i hi ura mu aza gi meaning he who answers me in my sleep)
From there they went to ancient egypt where they civilized and gave her first pyramids and also sent a delegation th civilized the barbarians in the north called the greeks.it should be noted that some of the greatest greek men where igbos eg aristotle(erie asi tolu uto), pythagoras(bia ta ara) achilles( aku ili) etc.
The igbos also enslaved the isrealites in both babylonia and Egypt and after they got tired of the city life they migrated to eastern nigeria while civilizing the Nubians, yorubas,fulanis etc on there way.it should be noted that oduduwa and bayegida were all igbos in oduduwa case yoruba legend holds that he is a fair man from the east. The igos are not desended from jews or egyptians rather thses people are all desended from the igbos and and unbiased historical evaluation would prove that
Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by macof(m): 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
emenik08: My TAKE ON THE TOPIC.
The possibity that west african had been producing cast iron is there bt mainly for agricultural n sculptural purposes. I think d idea of guns came after the europeans taught us about gun powder.
Reason is that anybody that can melt iron ore n purify it a bit will definitely be able to get to cast iron. The word 'cast iron' is just iron that can be easily cast into moulds. This is because of its fluidity (ability to flow into d intricacies of d mould). Cast iron contains largest quantity of carbon in any known alloy of iron which is why it flows easily compared to other alloys like steel. Carbon easily enters iron through the fuels(charcoal, coke etc) used in melting the iron ore.
Iron ore>pig iron>cast iron>steel
the 'greater than sign' signifies futher purification.

Lastly anybdy using bare hands to handle a temperature of 1000-1200degrees celcius(handling temp for wrought iron) must be using juju or be an iron man.

I doubt Africans gained knowledge of gun powder from Europeans, Maybe Arabs but not Europeans.
Btw The fon people in West Africa are said to have had women soldiers wielding weapons with gun power long before European contact

1 Like

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by AmunRaOlodumare: 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
For some reason the spam bot doesn't allow me to post this information with all the quote. I will try to post it in sequence.

There's some controversies within archaeologists about the earliest dates for West African metalworking, but the latest date everybody agree with seems to be around 500BC. Other dates range from 3000BC to 500BC by using radiocarbon dating.

1 Like

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 2:21am On Aug 05, 2014
Bantu people introduced iron in Africa, the first civilization to reach iron age
Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by kingston277(m): 5:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
HolyHolla: The Nok culture culture had developed the technology of mining and refining cast iron as far back as 900 BC. The civilization appeared in Northern Nigeria around 1000 BC and history has it that it vanished under unknown and mysterious circumstances around 300AD.

Anyone interested may want to check on these few links for more on the Nok culture or google other links for more information.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

africanhistory.about.com/od/kingdoms/a/NokCulture.htm

www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-africa/highly-advanced-and-mysterious-ancient-civilization-nok-00679#!bddtcH

It might also be of interest to note that it is the development made by other civilizations in processing iron into steel that gave them the advantage of developing technology of arms and industrial machinery production. Although also made from iron, steel is harder and more maleable than iron and it's production requires a slightly more technical process. However, it is not known that the Nok civilization was able to develop iron into steel. But generally, it is believed that it is this advantage of producing steel that was used in advancing development of firearms and industrial machinery by other civilizations.
Tanzania was one of the first in the world to produce high quality carbon-steel that couldn't be matched else where(expect possibly India) until approximately the 18th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haya_people

3 Likes

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by kingston277(m): 5:27pm On Aug 05, 2014
AkoEja: The main problem with Africa of the prehistoric era is that there has been no documentation of what we did in those days. Most of the history is based on oral tradition. Many achievements of Africans are therefore not provable
Not exactly true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nsibidi

3 Likes

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by kingston277(m): 5:36pm On Aug 05, 2014
anonimi:

We need to constantly REMIND ourselves of our PAST achievements as a source of INSPIRATION for our current & future capabilities!
Why do you think the "developed" oyinbo societies spend so much on museums

OP, I have read some African history book that expressed the opinion that the slow down of African technological development could be linked to the desertification of the Sahara thus cutting off/reducing regular exchange/travel that promotes exchange of ideas.
China was isolated for millenia but that didn't stop them from being on top. More archaeology needs to be done in Africa before such assertions are made. Did you know Africans have been documented building submarine-like equipment in the 19th century?
[url]http://books.google.ca/books?id=XsHB69txxdEC&pg=PA92&lpg=PA92&dq=sierra+leone+alligator+society+submarine&source=bl&ots=DGbNOSsGV0&sig=fO2Cxi4VdLD4L9JHVMxdM8EV3X8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dwfhU5GYC4qayASh_ILADA&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=sierra%20leone%20alligator%20society%20submarine&f=false[/url]
Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by kingston277(m): 5:38pm On Aug 05, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare: For some reason the spam bot doesn't allow me to post this information with all the quote. I will try to post it in sequence.

There's some controversies within archaeologists about the earliest dates for West African metalworking, but the latest date everybody agree with seems to be around 500BC. Other dates range from 3000BC to 500BC by using radiocarbon dating.

Actually wasn't the agreed date around 1400 BC? Thats what I've read. But the 3000BC thing is being taken seriously though.

1 Like

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by anonimi: 5:40pm On Aug 05, 2014
kingston277:
Tanzania was one of the first in the world to produce high quality carbon-steel that couldn't be matched else where(expect possibly India) until approximately the 18th century.

Many thanks for the link, which I just checked and found this:

Archeological discoveries
The Haya people of Tanzania have been linked to one of the greatest scientific breakthroughs of all time: the invention of steel. Archaeologist Peter Schmidt discovered through a literalist combination of archaeology and oral tradition that the Haya had been forging steel for around 2000 years.

This discovery was made accidentally while Schmidt was learning about the history of the Haya via their oral tradition. He was led to a tree which was said to rest on the spot of an ancestral furnace used to forge steel. A group of elders were later tasked with the challenge of recreating the forges.

At this time they were the only ones to remember the practice, which had fallen into disuse due in part to the abundance of steel flowing into the country from foreign sources. In spite of the lack of practice the elders were able to create a furnace using mud and grass which when burned provided the carbon needed to transform the iron into steel. Later investigation of the land yielded 13 other furnaces similar in design to the re-creation set up by the elders. This process is very similar to open hearth furnace steelmaking.

These furnaces were carbon-dated and were found to be as old as 2000 years. Steel of similar quality did not appear in Europe until several centuries later.

This is quite IMPRESSIVE!

3 Likes

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by AmunRaOlodumare: 6:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
There's some controversies within archaeologists about the earliest dates for West African metalworking. The latest date everybody agree with seems to be around 500BC. Other dates range from 3000BC to 500BC by using radiocarbon dating.

Leaving the controversies aside, iron and copper metallurgy were clearly well established in West Africa by 500 BC with gold, bronze, and brass following in the mid-first millennium AD. The earliest appearance of metallurgy in East Africa dates to the closing centuries of the last millennium BC. In southern Africa, the southward migration of Bantu-speaking farmers introduced iron and copper around AD200, with gold, tin, bronze, and brass appearing towards the beginning of the second millennium.
From The Oxford Hand book of African Archaeology (2013) (chap 10)

1 Like

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by macof(m): 7:48pm On Aug 05, 2014
anonimi:

Many thanks for the link, which I just checked and found this:

This is quite IMPRESSIVE!

Truly impressive.
You noticed that the article implied that the iron work is better than that of Europe.

It's a pity the Tanzanian people have refused to build up on this an make a Mark in iron casting

Oh! Africa how we have fallen since we forgot the Great works of our brilliant ancestors

3 Likes

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by hiuser(m): 8:38pm On Aug 05, 2014
PAPAAFRICA:
Great Benin Pg.124

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by hiuser(m): 8:51pm On Aug 05, 2014

has a glorious revelation about gisting..is that in this...
Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by hiuser(m): 9:22pm On Aug 05, 2014
http://instagram.com/p/rHto9rxH7s/

Check out her pages! She was collecting precious stones : tanzanian*

Namibia aqua-marine

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by HolyHolla(m): 9:49pm On Aug 05, 2014
kingston277:

Quite true! But I'll wonder why they did not forge ahead into further development of iron into industrial machinery! It would have projected a cultural advancement for Africa.

1 Like

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by kingston277(m): 10:45pm On Aug 05, 2014
HolyHolla:

Quite true! But I'll wonder why they did not forge ahead into further development of iron into industrial machinery! It would have projected a cultural advancement for Africa.
Same reason it didn't happen elsewhere other than England, not the right conditions. They did however produce iron on a "semi-industrial" scale by the 19th century.
http://der.org/resources/study-guides/blooms-of-banjeli-study-guide.pdf

2 Likes

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by Kanoro: 11:55pm On Aug 05, 2014
shadowwalker101:
Why r u people always disturbing me post ur own make I post my own

Because you're a dumbass, that's why. You obviously don't know what forums are for.

1 Like

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by Kanoro: 12:42pm On Aug 06, 2014

If you're gonna make things up, can you at least try to be clever? At least have some evidence? Lastly answer my question instead of making an entirely new topic. Be proud of your own history and stop trying to steal others.

1 Like

Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by Kanoro: 1:05pm On Aug 06, 2014
macof:

I doubt Africans gained knowledge of gun powder from Europeans, Maybe Arabs but not Europeans.
Btw The fon people in West Africa are said to have had women soldiers wielding weapons with gun power long before European contact

Most Sub-Saharan Africans acquired their knowledge of gunpowder from Europeans. It was the North Africans who gained it from Arabs
Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by Kanoro: 1:08pm On Aug 06, 2014
kingston277:
Not exactly true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nsibidi
I've heard of this before.This was not a formal script taught in schools or made into books though was it? I'm pretty sure it was restricted to secret societies and mostly used on pottery.
Re: Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? by Kanoro: 1:09pm On Aug 06, 2014
kingston277:
China was isolated for millenia but that didn't stop them from being on top. More archaeology needs to be done in Africa before such assertions are made. Did you know Africans have been documented building submarines in the 19th century?
[url]http://books.google.ca/books?id=XsHB69txxdEC&pg=PA92&lpg=PA92&dq=sierra+leone+alligator+society+submarine&source=bl&ots=DGbNOSsGV0&sig=fO2Cxi4VdLD4L9JHVMxdM8EV3X8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dwfhU5GYC4qayASh_ILADA&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=sierra%20leone%20alligator%20society%20submarine&f=false[/url]

Since when was China isolated?? You obviously haven't heard of the silk road. I would quote and link it but it's not letting me do it on phone for some reason. Anyway it says that the silk road shaped civilizations like China, Arabia, Persia, and India. The exchange of ideas bolstered their development. Notice all of the civililizations on the silk road were the most advanced? Europe was only able to catch up to them in the last few hundred years because of their advanced seagoing ships. Search silk road on Wikipedia.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ogun Ti Afi Ngbe Aye Ni Irorun Ati Ogun Korikosun To Gbona Gan / Annual Osun Osogbo Festival 2019(pictures) / Please, I Need Your Help! Who Speaks Central Igbo And Can Teach Me It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.