Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University (730 Views)

6 Injured, As Uniport Students Clash With Police Over School Fee Increase / National Open University Of Nigeria 2011/2012 / Someone Should Please Fill Me Up With Oau Fee Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University by Nobody: 10:40am On Jul 06, 2014
Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University

For those who understand the signs of time, for those who learn from history, and for those who care to know the potential pitfalls ahead, I suggest a dogged and unwavering approach to tame the beasts and vampires determined to destroy the future of our nation by driving education into a sinkhole.

I speak for the youths, the down trodden, the poor and the marginalised. I speak for the nation, my generation, parents and the students. What crimes have we the youths committed? What have we the younger generation done to deserve the wanton injustice mete out to us? Perhaps it is true that we need guns and bombs to be heard and to make a change.

They had free education and all the luxuries that came with it. They had it smooth and convenient. They have their offices, the power and the fat salaries. Why must they put us through hell? We arealready in a sauna. Free education is alien,the standard of our education is pitiful, notbecause there are no funds to provide free education and make the standard better but because we have beasts, vampires, corrupt and greedy ones in control.It is no more news that thousands of graduates churned out yearly cant get jobs, yet our universities wickedly and cruelly increase tuition fees. If we cannot be guaranteed jobs, at least let education be affordable to us free and cheap, we canforge a life with knowledge gained and build our Nation to perfection.

We might agree partially with State universities and have no problem with Private Universities increase of Tuition fees for a few not so convincing reasons. What shall we say of Federal Universities?The National Open University Institution idea was a brilliant one. Brought back to life by Chief Olusegun Obasanjo and waxing stronger ever. It proved to be worthit. Employed or uneducated adults and youth entrepreneurs could do their businesses, work, go to school and pay their own fees. It used to be affordable andbrilliant for all.

I experienced the genesis of tuition fee increase in Nigeria few years ago. Ladoke Akintola University of Technology increased tuition fees from the convenient#6,000 per session to #40,000 Naira and many other Institutions followed suit. We have experienced astronomical and unjustified increase of tuition fees in our Universities ever after.I tried to imagine reasons why NOUN would follow suit. I cannot find any. I wondered. Are Federal Universities now for-profit Institutions? Is the purpose of NOUN to make money for the federal government and enrich the pocket of the VC and co? Besides the Funds provided bythe Federal Government and judging by the number of Student intake, funds generated from old tuition fee is more thanenough to make considerable improvement and development. Generating funds internally is not a good reason to shut the door of education to themany poor people of Nigeria.

We are calling on the federal government to investigate the reckless increase in school fees in NOUN and other Universities born by greed and corruption. The government must take education serious and in doing so, education should be affordable for the poor who live on or below the minimum wage. Anything Short of that is Injustice and Cruel.

We are calling on the decision makers of NOUN not to close the door of education tous but rather reconsider, reverse or reducethe recent increase in tuition fee from#58,000 to #115,000.

Sources:
http://saharareporters.com/2014/07/06/tuition-fee-increase-corruption-national-open-university
http://kenadvocacy..com/2014/07/tuition-fee-increase-corruption-in.html

2 Likes

Re: Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 06, 2014
like and comment if this is worth front page
Re: Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University by echobee(f): 10:44am On Jul 06, 2014
Na wa ooooooooo sad sad. What is naija turning to? . May God deliver us cry
Re: Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University by swtme(f): 11:44am On Jul 06, 2014
The most annoying thing is that they no longer give textbooks, they give us CD's to print out our courses which means we av 2 spend more money,there's also no facilitators we have to pay 4 private tutorials. I can't believe they would bring corruption into this 2.

1 Like

Re: Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University by akinsola118: 3:41pm On Jul 06, 2014
Can't go to dat school again !
Re: Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
Why is this not on Front Page?
Re: Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 06, 2014
To take education seriously...only N10K5 was added. If Nigeria has gone to d dogs...u don't expect NOUN to be exempt. Increase d cost of ur services and products in order to meet up. Ain't easy!
Re: Tuition Fee Increase: Corruption In National Open University by BaddieKay(f): 12:33am On Jul 07, 2014
the school has practically turned to a private uni where in jx two semesters u spend N100k plus....so not fair to think lectures and textbooks aint given z bad

(1) (Reply)

Business Analyst Online Training In INDIA | Business Analysis Online Training / 2014/2015 Post Utme Application Form Is Out / KWASU Admission List (1st Batch) 2014/2015 Out.call_081633957671.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.