Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,960 members, 7,814,246 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

9 Films That Were Banned - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 9 Films That Were Banned (5136 Views)

Homosexuality Movie “I Am Jazz” Banned On Nigerian TV Stations / Top 10 Horror Films That Are Based On Actual Events / Fifty Shades Of Grey Banned In Nigeria Cinemas Due To Sexual Content (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Films That Were Banned by hermesprogidy(m): 11:57am On Jul 08, 2014
The Birth of a Nation

Even at the time of its release in the US in 1915, DW Griffith’s The Birth of a Nation was controversial. A three-hour epic dramatising the American Civil War and its aftermath, the film depicts in a positive light the foundation of the Ku Klux Klan. Historians credit the film, which was a blockbuster success, with spurring the KKK’s revival in the 20th Century revival. The US National Association for the Advancement of Colored People staged a boycott and the cities of Chicago, St Louis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Denver banned it, with government leaders fearing that it would lead to race riots. Those bans were later lifted, and Griffith himself tried to apologise for The Birth of a Nation with his with his next film, Intolerance (1916). (Kino)

Ben-Hur

William Wyler’s epic about an enslaved Judean prince who crosses paths with Jesus was a box office smash in the US on its debut in 1959 – and set a new record for the number of Oscars it won. But it was promptly banned in China, where Mao Zedong’s government strongly opposed religious belief, for promoting a positive view of Christianity. China maintains a quota system that limits number of foreign releases in cinemas – though many films that miss out can be viewed at home. Even now Ben-Hur remains unavailable in the People’s Republic. (MGM/Warner Bros)

Battleship Potemkin

Sergei Eisenstein’s Soviet propaganda film Battleship Potemkin landed in cinemas like a thunderbolt in 1925. Luis Buñuel claimed that after a Paris screening of Potemkin he and his friends began pulling up pavement stones to build barricades in the streets for revolution. Luminaries like Charlie Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks called it the greatest film they’d ever seen. Because of Potemkin’s impact, the censorship boards of several countries felt it would spread communism. France imposed a ban after a short run in 1925 (it lifted it in 1953 after Joseph Stalin’s death) and the UK prevented its citizens from seeing it until 1954. (Kino)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

By today’s standards Tobe Hooper’s original 1974 version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is quite tame – though it has an air of eerie existential dread that few horror films since have matched. And even though the film suggests much more gore than it actually shows, it was a lightning rod for debates about violence in the cinema. Censorship authorities in many countries deemed its exhibition illegal: it was banned in West Germany from 1974-78, in Iceland from 1985-99, in Norway from 1974-97, in Sweden from 1974-2001 and in Singapore from 1974-2004. (Alamy)

Last Tango in Paris

Bernardo Bertolucci’s drama about a grieving widower (Marlon Brando) and his relationship with a much younger woman (Maria Schneider) is full of raw, naked emotions – most of which are expressed in raw, naked sex scenes between the two actors. Few films at that point had been more sexually explicit, and some countries were not ready for it. It was banned in Bertolucci’s native Italy from 1972 to 1986, and remains banned in Singapore to this day. (MGM)

District 9

South African sci-fi director Neill Blomkamp intended to make an allegory for apartheid with his 2009 film District 9, in which marooned extraterrestrials are kept in a sort of Bantustan by their human oppressors. But District 9 was banned in Nigeria because of what was perceived there as the film’s racism: a subplot concerns villainous Nigerian gangsters who exploit the aliens and believe that alien blood will cure them of disease. (Sony)

Viridiana

Luis Buñuel’s surreal, taboo-busting film about an aristocrat (Fernando Rey) who lusts after his niece, a nun, is dripping with licentiousness and anti-Catholicism. The trailer for English-speaking audiences promised an orgy more shocking than the one that ends La Dolce Vita, and at one moment in the film itself a character brandishes a crucifix that doubles as a switchblade knife. Viridiana was actually going to be Spain’s official submission to the Cannes Film Festival in 1961 until an outcry from the Church prompted General Franco to withdraw it from exhibition completely. It remained unseen in Spain until after Franco’s death in 1975. (Criterion)

Milk

The 2008 film about San Francisco official Harvey Milk and his crusade for gay rights in the late 1970s and early ‘80s won Sean Penn an Oscar – and won the wrath of Samoa’s censors. It was banned there, according to the Pacific island nation’s government, because it was “inappropriate and contradictory to Christian beliefs and Samoan culture… In the movie itself it is trying to promote the human rights of gays. Some of the scenes are very inappropriate in regard to some of the sex in the film itself, it’s very contrary to the way of life here in Samoa.” (Focus Features)

Salò or the 120 Days of Sodom

The final film from Italian director and poet Pier Paolo Pasolini before his murder in 1975 remains one of the most controversial films of all time. Set in the last days of World War II in Italy, the film is a loose adaptation of the Marquis de Sade’s 120 Days of Sodom. It was banned from 1975 to 2000 in the UK, from 1976-93 in Australia, from 1976-97 in New Zealand and remains banned in Malaysia in Singapore. It was never officially banned in the US, but an undercover policeman arrested the proprietor of an adult bookstore for selling it in 1994, prompting free speech protests from Martin Scorsese and Alec Baldwin. A court ultimately dismissed the case. (Criterion)

Source: http://www.bbc.com/culture
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by funshint(m): 2:59pm On Jul 08, 2014
Pls add "half of a yellow sun"-Chimamanda Adichie

1 Like

Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by prof800(m): 8:43pm On Jul 08, 2014
funshint: Pls add "half of a yellow sun"-Chimamanda Adichie
...and 'NOAH' - Darren Aronofsky (banned in some asian countries)
gringrin grin grin grin
grin grin gringrin
gringrin
grin

1 Like

Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by Guykhena(m): 10:53pm On Jul 08, 2014
prof800:
...and 'NOAH' - Darren Aronofsky (banned in some asian countries)
gringrin grin grin grin
grin grin gringrin
gringrin
grin

More of Islamic countries..
Which to me doesn't make sense I mean Noah is such a great movie.
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by Kezifils(m): 3:08pm On Jul 09, 2014

The Ban has Been Lifted.
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 09, 2014
half of a yellow sun was never banned. It was only delayed.
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by Nsonaso(m): 4:28pm On Jul 11, 2014
Dark Angel season 3
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by suwailad(f): 11:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
hermesprogidy:

Salò or the 120 Days of Sodom

The final film from Italian director and poet Pier Paolo Pasolini before his murder in 1975 remains one of the most controversial films of all time. Set in the last days of World War II in Italy, the film is a loose adaptation of the Marquis de Sade’s 120 Days of Sodom. It was banned from 1975 to 2000 in the UK, from 1976-93 in Australia, from 1976-97 in New Zealand and remains banned in Malaysia in Singapore. It was never officially banned in the US, but an undercover policeman arrested the proprietor of an adult bookstore for selling it in 1994, prompting free speech protests from Martin Scorsese and Alec Baldwin. A court ultimately dismissed the case. (Criterion)

Source: http://www.bbc.com/culture

gawsh what an evil movie. please dont see this if you dont have heart.
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by prof800(m): 12:07pm On Jul 18, 2014
Guykhena: More of Islamic countries..
Which to me doesn't make sense I mean Noah is such a great movie.
I think they are not ready for scriptural 'explorations' yet. It was frowned at by religious groups and got some eastern bans.

'Exploration' will soon get popular in the near future.
Noah became successful in box office afterall. Let's see what will happen to 'Exodus' -- another exploration of religious tales.

Come december!
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by prof800(m): 12:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
LUPUNNYMedia:
half of a yellow sun was never banned. It was only delayed.

In movie business; When your film gets suspended and the 'RELEASE DATE' gets shifted forward by 3 months, then you know the nightmare is not different from getting a BAN.!

Try that in Hollywood and you might have to settle for 'direct-to-dvd'. sad
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by Guykhena(m): 6:27pm On Jul 18, 2014
prof800:
I think they are not ready for scriptural 'explorations' yet. It was frowned at by religious groups and got some eastern bans.

'Exploration' will soon get popular in the near future.
Noah became successful in box office afterall. Let's see what will happen to 'Exodus' -- another exploration of religious tales.

Come december!
Woah Christian Bale smiley,,,,,
Well I hope this 'Exodus' explore into the genre of Fantasy,the same way Noah did,which I think was the key to the success of Noah.
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by armadeo(m): 3:33pm On Jul 19, 2014
Guykhena:
Woah Christian Bale smiley,,,,,
Well I hope this 'Exodus' explore into the genre of Fantasy,the same way Noah did,which I think was the key to the success of Noah.

Was Noah good. Everyone I know has complained about the movie so I haven't watched it though I love the cast.
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by Guykhena(m): 3:43pm On Jul 19, 2014
armadeo:

Was Noah good. Everyone I know has complained about the movie so I haven't watched it though I love the cast.
Noah was an awesome movie,I mean you get to see the family drama of Noah and his Family,thrilling Fantasy movie with perfect special effects.
The wonderful thing is,we all already know the Noah story,but this movie took us to another dimension of the Noah Story,explore different genres,trust me you're gonna love it.
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by dmcdad: 12:17am On Jul 23, 2014
Guykhena:
Noah was an awesome movie,I mean you get to see the family drama of Noah and his Family,thrilling Fantasy movie with perfect special effects.
The wonderful thing is,we all already know the Noah story,but this movie took us to another dimension of the Noah Story,explore different genres,trust me you're gonna love it.
Seriously? I have downloaded the full movie in 1080p HD for the past two weeks but not yet watched it because of the reviews I read before downloading. I guess I will have to watch it and see for myself.
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by ONWARDBABA: 11:17pm On Jul 25, 2014
from where una download am plz i ned to
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by severee(m): 11:00am On Jan 22, 2015
suwailad:

gawsh what an evil movie. please dont see this if you dont have heart

More like if you don't have the stomach there was a full 20minutes dedicated to different disgusting stories of people eating sh*t and a little girl peeing
on some pervs face,
Then there's the n*ked kids parading the castle and the constant r*pe scenes
Good thing the voyeurism scene was brief cause I was so close to losing my mind
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by CeiW5k: 7:44pm On Mar 03, 2015
i have a list also?
Re: 9 Films That Were Banned by Southboy(m): 1:40am On Mar 07, 2015
armadeo:

Wasnt Interesting to me

(1) (Reply)

You Can Watch Nigerian Tv Channels From Anywhere Online / Heroes 'season 3' Continues / Is The Ghanaian Movie Industry Making Any Improvement?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.