Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,832 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

For Yorubas... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / For Yorubas... (4314 Views)

Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Yorubas... by Sholah96(m): 2:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
What are the english words for 'igbako' and 'omorogun', tools for preparing yoruba solid foods? Let's share our answers.
Re: For Yorubas... by dexentity: 2:36pm On Jul 08, 2014
Omorogun - turning stick

Igbako. - ?
Re: For Yorubas... by BTT(m): 2:55pm On Jul 08, 2014
dexentity: Omorogun - turning stick

Igbako. - ?

Igbako : Solid food 'disher'
Re: For Yorubas... by MetaPhysical: 3:04pm On Jul 08, 2014
OP,

These utensils are Afrocentric, unique to the land! English language is a foreign tongue and not everything African must have an equivalent European term.

We must strive to teach any interested European to learn to pronounce "igbako" and "omorogun" in the native tongue, rather than attempting to find a soft-tongue for them to identify with.....the way some of us have done with our native names, anglocizing Yemi to Yemee, Ayo to Ayour, SHOLA to SHOLAH!

Stop the enslavement!
Re: For Yorubas... by dexentity: 3:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
BTT:

Igbako : Solid food 'disher'

I will go along with that.
Re: For Yorubas... by Sholah96(m): 5:16pm On Jul 08, 2014
Igbako is called 'saucer' and omorogun is 'baton'
Re: For Yorubas... by MetaPhysical: 5:38pm On Jul 08, 2014
Sholah96: Igbako is called 'saucer' and omorogun is 'baton'

So what is saucer, and what is a baton to an Englishman? Morevover, what is their utility in an English household?
Re: For Yorubas... by Sholah96(m): 6:14pm On Jul 08, 2014
To englishmen, baton is used to knead dough during bread making by chefs, not in bakery o!
Re: For Yorubas... by MetaPhysical: 7:22pm On Jul 08, 2014
Sholah96: To englishmen, baton is used to knead dough during bread making by chefs, not in bakery o!

so why do we have to call omorogun a baton?

If North Africans had gone in search of an English equivalent for matsah, the whole globe will be calling it pancake.

If the Chinese had changed the name of his "lo mein" to anglo the whole world would be calling it "noodles".

Why cant "akara" just be that, why do we need to find English equivalent so it can be called "beancake"?

Each culture promotes its prominence through language and tongue. Why are we so consciously dead?
Any wonder why none of the African languages make the list of public awareness literatures, like Arabic, Korean, Chinese, Sanskrit, and so on?

Everyone in America know about "fufu". This is because we did not give it an anglo name. Let's follow that example. Make them pronounce our native terms instead of yielding to their language as a standard.

1 Like

Re: For Yorubas... by 2prexios: 11:22am On Jul 10, 2014
Guess why I'm now the happiest of men? My metaphysical is back! I love you my brother, please don't go. You know how much I miss U. Without "U" there's no "US"
Re: For Yorubas... by MetaPhysical: 8:09pm On Jul 12, 2014
2prexios: Guess why I'm now the happiest of men? My metaphysical is back! I love you my brother, please don't go. You know how much I miss U. Without "U" there's no "US"

whatssup my brother. cheesy
Long time, happy to see you!
Re: For Yorubas... by macof(m): 11:26am On Jul 14, 2014
MetaPhysical:

so why do we have to call omorogun a baton?

If North Africans had gone in search of an English equivalent for matsah, the whole globe will be calling it pancake.

If the Chinese had changed the name of his "lo mein" to anglo the whole world would be calling it "noodles".

Why cant "akara" just be that, why do we need to find English equivalent so it can be called "beancake"?

Each culture promotes its prominence through language and tongue. Why are we so consciously dead?
Any wonder why none of the African languages make the list of public awareness literatures, like Arabic, Korean, Chinese, Sanskrit, and so on?

Everyone in America know about "fufu". This is because we did not give it an anglo name. Let's follow that example. Make them pronounce our native terms instead of yielding to their language as a standard.

I completely agree with this
It's bad enough that the way we overlook our language and everything about our identity, let's not loose it all and make our next generation a people without roots

English can borrow Yoruba words too
Re: For Yorubas... by 2prexios: 1:47pm On Jul 14, 2014
MetaPhysical:

whatssup my brother. cheesy
Long time, happy to see you!

happy to see you too. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Anybody Who Says Lagos Is Not Yoruba Land Is An Idiot. Says Oba Of Lagos. / The Story Of Ogedengbe The Yoruba Warrior! / LYRICS: Ycee – Omo Alhaji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.