Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,272 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Immigrating To Nigeria... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Immigrating To Nigeria... (2344 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Immigrating To Nigeria... by 76kid: 10:22am On Oct 08, 2008
Good Morning People

I am new to this forum, and am here to inquire about living in Nigeria.

I am an English white 31 year old male currently living in London and am considering moving to Nigeria. I am engaged to a Nigerian woman and we are both keen to make the move.

Are there any expats here that can assist me in their experiences of moving to Nigeria, or any Nigerians that can give me any honest feedback about their homeland?

We are looking at Abuja, as that's where my fiance is from and has family there. Also I appreciate this is a massively upcoming thriving area.

Am very keen to here your thoughts.

Thanks for your help in advance.

B
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by kiwi992(m): 1:53pm On Oct 08, 2008
Mate,

You can't just move there.  Can you?

You need to go and visit first, inorder to see things for yourself and then make up your mind.  That would be the best way to go about it.

Ensure that you've got good skills before moving to Nigeria, if you have to.  People there are highly educated and so, it would be very competitive in the job market.

One more thing is that you would really need to be smart to live in Nigeria.  Never be gullible and trusting.  Always be aware of yourself and surroundings.  In short, be wise and never be too trusting.  I definitely would, even though a Nigerian.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on information from other people, as you know, moving to a different country is such a big upheaval.   

kiwi992.
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by 76kid: 3:15pm On Oct 08, 2008
Thanks for your reply.

Of course I wouldn't move there without visiting first! I am in Nigeria for 3 weeks over Christmas and plan to do plenty of research and talking to companies etc.

With my line of work I have been assured of a higher standard of living and could potentially do very well.

I just wanted to find out if there were any ex pats on here for feedback on British living in Naij.

Thanks for your comments.

B
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by toshmann(m): 3:48pm On Oct 08, 2008
be careful what you ask for, you may just get it. cool
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by AloyEmeka9: 4:23pm On Oct 08, 2008
Nigerian immigration is the most sloppy and stupid department nowadays. The bureaucracy involved in immigrating to Nigeria is just uncalled for. I know an American family that tried it through their wife/mother and are still in it till this day. Most internationals that are married to Nigerians and lived in Nigeria for over 25 years are still having problems getting their citizenship. What kind of stupid country is this?
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by 76kid: 4:35pm On Oct 08, 2008
I shouldn't have a problem there, however I happen to know that the immigration service is much much better than it used to be.
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by Leilah(f): 4:41pm On Oct 08, 2008
I was in Nigerian twice, I am white woman. i was also in Abuja twice. the roads are terrible, no traffice lights you woudl easily be killed so make sure someone train you in on the driving there. I was ripped off everywhere, remember as a white person they will do everything in their power to overcharge you as they think you are rich.  However, you should really not have that much problems as it is indeed a mans world down there. I woudl love to live in Abuja. But as one poster said be careful. To be frank I wouldn't trust the locals as far as I could throw them as nice as they are, I woudl certainly have my wits about me and have security around the home. I don't know about jobs as I have only been theretwice. You really need to go there first. The heat is just overwhelming, its like living in an oven! esp Abuja. I really liked it though.

lovely hotels with gorgeous swimming pools! there are nice places to chill out. Great nightly entertainment too. Stunning architecture also. its becoming quite cosmopolitan.
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by Leilah(f): 4:47pm On Oct 08, 2008
Hey what is your line of work?

I have always been thinking of going there. But my husband said, no matter what he will never ever move back to Nigeria. Would be nice to have a villa there though, even that woudl give me a chance to go there.
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by 76kid: 4:50pm On Oct 08, 2008
I am a senior digital designer, working across web, print, illustration and photography.

I'm contemplating moving to Abuja to set up my own business.
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by bawomolo(m): 4:55pm On Oct 08, 2008
Leilah:

Hey what is your line of work?

I have always been thinking of going there. But my husband said, no matter what he will never ever move back to Nigeria. Would be nice to have a villa there though, even that woudl give me a chance to go there.

are you willing to cough up 400,000 dollars or more for a villa??
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by morpheus24: 6:44pm On Oct 08, 2008
Go to Onyibosonline to get info on expats my friend.

Oh and another thing, learn to use "OKADA". If youdon't know what I mean . You will.
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by Leilah(f): 10:18pm On Oct 08, 2008
Very well. You'll never know until you go. Have a great trip all the same. smiley
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by weeti(m): 8:29am On Oct 09, 2008
Hello.
You try to find abuja_expats from yahoo groups.
There may be someone who can help you to get all kind of information about movin to Nigeria.
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by GoldCircle: 4:38pm On Oct 13, 2008
Hi 76kid,
my sincere advice is for you to first visit and see things for yourself. its a whole ball game entirely when you talk to people on ground one on one . The opportunities here are indeed limitless especially for expatriates with the relevant know how. I know of at least two different foreigners who relocated to Nigeria about two years ago to do their business; but have ended up consulting for other foreigners who now want to relocate too. And I tell you, they are making more money from their consultancy thing that their 'real' businesses. it's not a bed of roses though, but I am very optimistic that you'll succeed here. if our Asian brothers (Indians, Pakistanis and Lebanese) are the 'big boyz" in our so called mega corporations, then I doubt if you'll have any major inhibitions!

This topic ought to be in the travel section though! that's where I think you'll get the real picture!
Re: Immigrating To Nigeria... by chantaliona(f): 7:02am On Oct 17, 2014
Hello to all
I am new to this forum, and would love it if someone would give me a bit of advice here, I have a friend in Nigeria, and I was thinking if I could sponsor him, has anyone ever done this? to sponsor? now what would be his best route? should he be a student ? would it be easier if he was? and is it easy to sponsor a person?
That's the questions for now, hope someone out that can give me advise. Muchly appreciated
Thank you
Chantal

(1) (Reply)

Adult Education Lesson Center In Lagos / 13 Food Superstitions. / My Somalia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.