Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? (1347 Views)

Is Buhari Fighting Corruption Or His Political Enemies? / Was President Buhari’s Appointments Based On Competency Or Ethnicity? / Sanusi Lamido Explodes: How Vested Interests Are Killing Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by MrChinex: 1:17am On Jul 11, 2014
Just thinking...

Any suggestion?
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Onlinebizexpert(m): 1:37am On Jul 11, 2014
Religion

1 Like

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Smartsyn(m): 3:04am On Jul 11, 2014
ordinary stealing
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by NaMe4: 4:06am On Jul 11, 2014
Ethno-Corruption

1 Like

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 11, 2014
ethnicity has been n is still killing da nation n it has got a lot to do with da parasitic north...the country needs da enthronement of true federalism n resource control but ethnichty has been a spanner in da works n only da,again,parasiting north is against that..ethnicity/tribalism/north is foundational n is naija's only problem,corruption aint as much a problem as ethnicity.

2 Likes

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 11, 2014
Ethnicity because most Nigerians defend corruption when the guilty party is someone from their tribe and when people speak out against corrupt officials their tribesmen and women see it as an attack on their tribe. We can never get rid of corruption with that attitude.

3 Likes

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by ojimbo(m): 9:17am On Jul 11, 2014
tatiana009: Ethnicity because most Nigerians defend corruption when the guilty party is someone from their tribe and when people speak out against corrupt officials their tribesmen and women see it as an attack on their tribe. We can never get rid of corruption with that attitude.
eg. Sanusi 20b saga, chibok saga, boko boys
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by iiichidodo: 10:32am On Jul 11, 2014
Corruption first of all before ethnicity is killing Nigeria....

1 Like

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by EmeeNaka: 11:14am On Jul 11, 2014
Religion is,undisputably,the major problem of Nigeria.
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by agabusta: 11:22am On Jul 11, 2014
Ethno-Bigotry carries it. I used to think corruption is our major problem untill Jonathan came around.
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Kanwulia: 11:35am On Jul 11, 2014
The most corrupt ETHNIC groups! grin
NIGERIANS!!!!
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by rahimmatt01: 12:04pm On Jul 11, 2014
corruption is eating us deep but lets see what this present administration will do about it.. i believe he has introduced some schemes inorder to tackle this.
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by NwaNimo1(m): 1:03pm On Jul 11, 2014
The corruption of a particular ethnic group is what's killing Nigeria. . . . .

And the ability of that ethnic group to successfully subjugate and corrupt another corrupt ethnic group doesn't help matters.

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Adelaide2: 2:16pm On Jul 11, 2014
Corruption
Religion
Ethnicity
Overpopulation (especially with unproductive humans)
Lack of maintenance culture
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by seunfly: 2:23pm On Jul 11, 2014
i think ethnicity has caused more damage than anything.

1 Like

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Ohjerry: 2:26pm On Jul 11, 2014
Ethnicity 90% corruption - 10%

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by seunfly: 2:34pm On Jul 11, 2014
agabusta: Ethno-Bigotry carries it. I used to think corruption is our major problem untill Jonathan came around.
Exactly, i think ethnicity has help to take corruption to the highest level. It helps legitimised corruption through it's our turn mentality and it's ok if it your tribe man is corrupt, but it's bad if he/she is not.
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 11, 2014
I argued this same issue with my cousin..here are my points-if ethnicity is our problem why are nigerian politicians eg tinubu,peter obi,atiku so rich and their kinsmen poor,if tinubu or peter obi is truly a bigot no igbo or yoruba will be poor. Corruption or stealing is our biggest problem
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Adelaide2: 2:47pm On Jul 11, 2014
seunfly:
Exactly, i think ethnicity has help to take corruption to the highest level. It helps legitimised corruption through it's our turn mentality and it's ok if it your tribe man is corrupt, but it's bad if he/she is no.

Actually, if you look deeply at corruption in Nigeria, you will find that it has little or no stamp mark of ethnicity. All the corrupt big guys from all tribes dine and wine together. Only the poor and marginalized see ethnicity all the time. So, corruption is the major problem, followed by religion. Many times, even armed robbers and kidnappers (other forms of corruption, some how) from different ethnic groups work together, again demonstrating that corruption has no ethnic boundary.

Where ethnicity and religion feature too well is in electing or appointing capable people to run things.
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by seunfly: 3:04pm On Jul 11, 2014
Adelaide2:

Actually, if you look deeply at corruption in Nigeria, you will find that it has little or no stamp mark of ethnicity. All the corrupt big guys from all tribes dine and wine together. Only the poor and marginalized see ethnicity all the time. So, corruption is the major problem, followed by religion. Many times, even armed robbers and kidnappers (other forms of corruption, some how) from different ethnic groups work together, again demonstrating that corruption has no ethnic boundary.

Where ethnicity and religion feature too well is in electing or appointing capable people to run things.

Yes u re right, at the top they steal together, but the grassroot level they use ethnicity to cover up their attrocities. For example, watch the first people to defend any minister, governor or president caught stealing public money and you will realise that Nigerians always act based on religion and ethnicity sentiment.

1 Like

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Adelaide2: 3:06pm On Jul 11, 2014
seunfly:

Yes u re right, at the top they steal together, but the grassroot level they use ethnicity to cover up their attrocities. For example, watch the first people to defend any minister, governor or president caught stealing public money and you will realise that Nigerians always act based on religion and ethnicity sentiment.

The Nigerian rank and file (average people) are among the blindest and most brain-washed in the world. That I agree.
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by seunfly: 3:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
Adelaide2:

The Nigerian rank and file (average people) are among the blindest and most brain-washed in the world. That I agree.

Just watch the way the so called educated cheers their governors even here on nairaland when they know he has done little or nothing, but they will ignore Mr Right because they don't like the origin of his party or where he is from. I ve seen some people who said that they prefer one particular bad leader just because he is closer to their tribe, even though the man is of no benefit to them.

1 Like

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Adelaide2: 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2014
seunfly:

Just watch the way the so called educated cheers their governors even here on nairaland when they know he has done little or nothing, but they will ignore Mr Right because they don't like the origin of his party or where he is from. I ve seen some people who said that they prefer one particular bad leader just because he is closer to their tribe, even though the man is of no benefit to them.

There is no Mr. right among the current leaders though. I know you are driving at PDP V APC.
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by seunfly: 3:34pm On Jul 11, 2014
Adelaide2:

There is no Mr. right among the current leaders though. I know you are driving at PDP V APC.

APC vs PDP? No, not at all, the issues i'm talking about cut across apc, pdp or any party right now because they all have the good and bad eggs in their party. I'm talking about the attitude of average Nigerian who want to be sentimental rather than rational.

1 Like

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by mencade5(m): 4:51pm On Jul 11, 2014
these the problems of nigerians.

1. Over population: somebody should please tell the hausa fulani man, the ijaws, urhobo, the igalas, the yorubas, the edos, etc. To stop breeding children like chickens. This should stop. Their thinking is to over populated the nation feeling it will help them rule and become number in nigeria. Thos leads us to ethnicity.

2. Ethnicity and nepotism: due to the fact that everybody wants to rule, having too many population, when this doesnt work, they go into ethnicty. Supporting and following someone who is from their tribes only. This is what we see everyday in nigera. Yoruba, hausa, igbo, tivs, igala, idoma, nupe are the people that exhibits this nonsense acts. When this doesnt work they go into religionalism.

3 religion: shame to all nigerians. We are the most religious people on earth but our hearts are very wicked. We claim to serve God but are enemies to our own brothers from other religion. Christians hating muslims. Muslims hating christians, christians-muslim hating traditional religion.

Nigeria can never be a better place until we stop all these nonsense and accept each other as one.

*rides my ferrari out of this thread*

2 Likes

Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by Arosa(m): 4:56pm On Jul 11, 2014
This is a case of choosing between pest or cholera.
Re: Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? by rash47(m): 7:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
Ordinary nigerians, i mean the followers.we are not sophisticated.

(1) (Reply)

JONATHAN; Omisore Will Emerge Victorious In Aug. 9 Governorship Poll. / 2015,buhari Or Jonathan Is Our Man!!! / Breaking….two Bus Load Of Chibok Girls Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.