Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. (3661 Views)

There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari / We Are Igbos- Dakuku Peterside / Why Are Igbos Trying So Hard To Claim Delta Igbos are igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by onyengbu1(m): 2:37pm On Oct 09, 2008
I use to read through posts on nairaland without looking back at these misrepresentation or should I say misspelling of  Igbo.

It didnt mean much to me until I realize that most people on this nairaland are very offended when their own ethnic name is misspelled.

Theres a post on this forum where someone rained insults on someone because he wrote Yoruba instead of Yoruba. I also notice that the hausas don't feel well when they are referred to as AWUSA.

These things might not mean much to many forum users but please lets try as much as possible to write or even pronounce  these things well.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by Godalone(m): 2:49pm On Oct 09, 2008
You are a good Igbo guy and it is a nice observation.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by inquisitiv: 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2008
Onye ngbu, thanks for that observation. it pisses me off too but guy, nawa for your name i dey somehow(onye ngbu)
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by tpia: 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2008
onye_ngbu:

I use to read through posts on nairaland without looking back at these misrepresentation or should I say misspelling of  Igbo.

It didnt mean much to me until I realize that most people on this nairaland are very offended when their own ethnic name is misspelled.

Theres a post on this forum where someone rained insults on someone because he wrote Yoruba instead of Yoruba. I also notice that the hausas don't feel well when they are referred to as AWUSA.

These things might not mean much to many forum users but please lets try as much as possible to write or even pronounce  these things well.      

is this thread you're referring to? So the only thing you noticed here was the mispelling of Yoruba. smh.

WHY YOURUBA IS THE MOST DEVILISH TRIBE ON EARTH.

1 If you work with them, they look for a way to take you out from competiton with their juju. Yuruba people believe in juju so much that even their 3 years old child practice juju.

2.  Yurubas are not reliable. they tell you 1 thing in the morning an tell another in the afternoon.

3. they are the ugliest in the world especially with that wild cat mark on their face that is as dark as amala.

4. they are very dirtty. its only in  yurubaland that people build houses without toilets. yuruba people go to toilet with black waterproof and do shot put and still turn around to eat amala with that hand without washing. don't eat in any y yuruba restront or you will get taifod.

5 yurubas are in secret cult and can never be good muslims

6 they are too lazy to work thats why they do 419 and drugs in abroad and do alaye in home.

7 there women are so ugly and dirty that i think their men don't have nose because they must not be smelling them otherwise why marry them
8 yurubas have the biggest mouth in histry. they talk and talk but no action.  that is y they fill every website trying to stop any story about the evil they commit in nigeria.

9 yurubas sleep with their daughters or their sons. its not only obasanjo that did it but his inlaw and his friends and many other yurubas i know in lagos that run away from home because there mother cut off their hair while they are asleep for juju or their mother jumped on top of them to have sex with their children son.

10 yuruba women sleep wit any man that want to give them money for sex and they are so so cheap. just give them 50 naira in sabon gari and she will do you wonders in your farm.

11. all they want in life is party party party owambe. that is why obasanjo useless nigeria money in festac because he wants party party party.,

12 the north make big mistake in allowing a yuruba rule again because they do nothing but useless nigeria.

13 what will yuruba do if nigeria cut into three. they can't trade they can't farm they can't produce they are just good for nothing but sex and party. what has yuruba don for nigeria
14 everything about them is juju juju juju juju. they  are all fake muslims

juju is against islamic religion

15 nairaland people tell yuruba to stop wacking their mouth here starting from that ugly seun to the last yuruba person here plus those ones that mask as hausa or nupe or any norterner.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-172280.0.html
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by KarmaMod(f): 2:57pm On Oct 09, 2008
The funny thing is when I first registered on NL, the spellchecker used to change Igbo to Ibo. Not sure if it still does that though as I haven't used it in a while

Funmi, are you listening? People are pleading with you
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by KarmaMod(f): 2:58pm On Oct 09, 2008
Lmao Tpia, does it surprise you? grin
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by grafikdon: 3:13pm On Oct 09, 2008
@Tpia, I believe the guy was referring to a thread where Quoyasystem intentionally used the term "Yoruba" instead of Yoruba and not the thread where some Doudle ID Southern slowpoke masquerading as a Northerner with his fabricated "bad English" used the term "Yuruba".

Nevertheless, it doesn't take away the fact that most people who should know better insist on using the wrong term. This thing is just like picking your nose or scratching your butt in public. I am not sure there is any law against those but most people shy away from them because they know that people around them find those things (scratching your buttocks and picking your nose) repulsive/offensive/disgusting. It's not just about using the erroneous terms "Ibo" or "Yoruba", I have heard people in this Country say A-i-rak when they know fully well it is pronounced I-r-ack (Iraq). . . the list is endless.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by tpia: 3:20pm On Oct 09, 2008
grafikdon:

@Tpia, I believe the guy was referring to a thread where Quoyasystem intentionally used the term "Yoruba" instead of Yoruba and not the thread where some Doudle ID Southern slowpoke masquerading as a Northerner with his fabricated "bad English" used the term "Yuruba".

Nevertheless, it doesn't take away the fact that most people who should know better insist on using the wrong term. This thing is just like picking your nose or scratching your butt in public. I am not sure there is any law against those but most people shy away from them because they know that people around them find those things (scratching your buttocks and picking your nose) repulsive/offensive/disgusting. It's not just about using the erroneous terms "Ibo" or "Yoruba", I have heard people in this Country say A-i-rak when they know fully well it is pronounced I-r-ack (Iraq). . . the list is endless.

the language used in the quote I posted isnt that much different from Quotasystem's hate speech either. I can also dig up similar instances from his posts here. If someone abused him, it most certainly wouldnt be just because he mispelled Yoruba.

For someone to feel it was only because he spelled Yoruba wrong, that people got upset, still has me shaking my head.

In any case, Deepzone I hope you're aware of this thread? Maybe you need to stop claiming to speak for the Yoruba plz, because you're causing too much trouble with your tribalistic mindset and postings.

Ibos live in the former midwestern region and they're also referred to as Anioma. Igbos are located after the river Niger. They don't like it when someone calls them Ibo. And vice versa.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by onyengbu1(m): 3:22pm On Oct 09, 2008
@grafikdon,

they might pronounce a-i-r-a-k but they wont write it that way. They will write iraq.

When someone goes to the extent of writing those things wrongly, its usually intentional.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by grafikdon: 3:27pm On Oct 09, 2008
tpia:

the language used in the quote I posted isnt that much different from Quotasystem's hate speech either. I can also dig up similar instances from his posts here. If someone abused him, it most certainly wouldnt be just because he mispelled Yoruba.

For someone to feel it was only because he spelled Yoruba wrong, that people got upset, still has me shaking my head.

I think you are misinterpreting the poster. My understanding is that he was talking about people knowingly writing the wrong term. The reference to the ''abuse'' was to illustrate that some people do find it offensive (and they have every right to do so).
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by grafikdon: 3:32pm On Oct 09, 2008
onye_ngbu:

@grafikdon,

they might pronounce a-i-r-a-k but they wont write it that way. They will write iraq.

When someone goes to the extent of writing those things wrongly, its usually intentional.

You do have a point there. Saying it and writing it are two different things, however I find it very irritating when people who actually know better come to TV and say "a-i-r-a-k". It is also true that those who write it do so intentionally.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by onyengbu1(m): 3:36pm On Oct 09, 2008
even Bush and some highly placed US officials are guilty of that act but im not sure they will write i-r-a-k
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by AloyEmeka9: 3:36pm On Oct 09, 2008

Ibos live in the former midwestern region and they're also referred to as Anioma. Igbos are located after the river Niger. They don't like it when someone calls them Ibo. And vice versa.
Where did you get this information? There is no ibo but igbo please besides, there is nothing like Anioma but Aniocha please. Anioma is a proposed state 's name that comprise Aniocha, Onicha ugbo, atani and Onitsha and Nnewi. Get your facts right before posting them here. The word ibo was a white man's error because they could not pronounce 'gb'. This is the first time I'm hearing somebody refering to ibos as before river Niger and Igbos are after river niger. What of the igbos in Atani and many parts of riverine anambra state after umuleri and aguleri? Should they be called ibos because they are before the river Niger?.

@Topic,
I don't see the big deal in the reference since everybody knows what the person is trying to write. as for quotasystem, igbos pronounce Yoruba as Yoruba and tens of thousands of them especially those staying in the east may spell it that way.
Deezone is another man for another day. I am used to ignoring his iboish spelling.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by grafikdon: 3:39pm On Oct 09, 2008
onye_ngbu:

even Bush and some highly placed US officials are guilty of that act but I'm not sure they will write i-r-a-k

I wouldn't bet on on that. . . Bush will actually write a-i-r-a-k out of spite. . . just like he gave gave "French Fries" the baptism of "Freedom Fries". . . grin grin
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by tpia: 4:03pm On Oct 09, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

Where did you get this information? There is no ibo but igbo please besides, there is nothing like Anioma but Aniocha please. Anioma is a proposed state 's name that comprise Aniocha, Onicha ugbo, atani and Onitsha and Nnewi. Get your facts right before posting them here. The word ibo was a white man's error because they could not pronounce 'gb'. This is the first time I'm hearing somebody refering to ibos as before river Niger and Igbos are after river niger. What of the igbos in Atani and many parts of riverine anambra state after umuleri and aguleri? Should they be called ibos because they are before the river Niger?.

as you're well aware, the opinions on this matter depends on who's talking.

However, you may want to make some enquiries about the phrase "Western Ibo".

Have you ever wondered why the 'gb' in Yoruba words wasnt changed to 'b' in spite of European mispronounciation.

anyway, I'm not Igbo so the matter no concern me.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by AloyEmeka9: 5:26pm On Oct 09, 2008
as you're well aware, the opinions on this matter depends on who's talking.

It surely does not depend on you because you are talking rubbish from your little tribalist head. If you do not have tribal myopia, how come you didn't care to check out the meaning of Aniocha and Anioma?

However, you may want to make some enquiries about the phrase "Western Ibo".
inquiry from who when i've lived in the east for over 20 years of my life?

Have you ever wondered why the 'gb' in Yoruba words wasnt changed to 'b' in spite of European mispronounciation.
You must be very stupid for citing this instance because there are so many Gb's in igbo that is not mispronounced but it's different from the name of an ethnic group. Are you saying that Yoruba can be called Yorugba? Your myopic mind is seriously playing games on you. I may hate tribalists but I hate your types that mask as non tribalists when all they spew are hidden tribal sentiments. I don't have to hide behind anything if I want to go the tribalist angle especially when i've sold cars to two people from nairaland. Stop hiding and come out in the open. Say your name and stop throwing stones from behind the fence as TPIA or logging in as TEXCEE whenever you want to wear your anti igbo regalia. Fool some nairalanders for all I care but not Emeka. I started following you since the kidnapping incident and realized that you and Texcee are the same . Stop it and get a life you stupid dirty arse hole.

anyway, I'm not Igbo so the matter no concern me.
Talk about your tribe and leave igbo people alone. Is it jealousy or what? Why are you always up in their business everytime you see Igbo? You are very despicable and I repeat that i prefer many tribalists here that come out in the open to you that hide as a good boy under TPIA only to show your true colours under Texcee. gay.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by tpia: 6:14pm On Oct 09, 2008
@ aloy-emeka: look, you need to learn how to make your point without resorting to name calling and seeing everything as an insult.   Always with some stupid chip on your shoulder- give it a break.

By your own admission you're not from Anioma so whats your beef.

Hyperventilating over a name will get you hypertension and little else.

My original response to this thread was to respond to the OP's claim that people were attacking someone/Quotasystem for mispelling Yoruba. If someone can ignore the kind of hate speech that masquerades as tribalism here, and think mispelling a name is worse than the kind of drivel people like you spout, then thats too pathetic.

abeg getting your knickers in a twist over some internet post shows you need to get a life. Need I say more.

Am sure if it were a thread calling on people to come and insult other tribes you wouldnt wonder at the ethnicity of the posters responding. You tribalists are sick people, for real.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by tpia: 6:32pm On Oct 09, 2008
by the way, I just read through your whole stupid and senseless post and realized you're accusing me of being Texcee.

Get a life, bro.

Unlike you, I don't need to hide under a different user name to make a point. Go back and check every post I've made since I joined this forum. Pick the ones you want to quarrel about and let me know. Anything you want to face me over, go ahead and do so- I don't need to be Texcee to say what I want to say.

You're so stupid. undecided
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by AloyEmeka9: 6:35pm On Oct 09, 2008
@ aloy-emeka: look, you need to learn how to make your point without resorting to name calling and seeing everything as an insult. Always with some stupid chip on your shoulder- give it a break.

By your own admission you're not from Anioma so whats your beef.

Hyperventilating over a name will get you hypertension and little else.

My original response to this thread was to respond to the OP's claim that people were attacking someone/Quotasystem for mispelling Yoruba. If someone can ignore the kind of hate speech that masquerades as tribalism here, and think mispelling a name is worse than the kind of drivel people like you spout, then thats too pathetic.

abeg getting your knickers in a twist over some internet post shows you need to get a life. Need I say more.

Am sure if it were a thread calling on people to come and insult other tribes you wouldnt wonder at the ethnicity of the posters responding. You tribalists are sick people, for real.

You are the tribalist aand I am not.Can you point any tribalist thread or whatever I indulge in but i don't like your types that keeps making sly comments and hiding under different names to throw stones at igbos. The jealously should stop for real. What do you think you are gaining from that? Nothing because we igbos have thick skin and you can only end up vexing some igbos who will throw hurtful stones at you as a rebuttal. There are so many things that need attention in todays Nigeria and you should make yourself more useful than hiding under the name Texcee tand throw stones at igbos. Like I said before, many Nairalanders have spoken to me and have met me and I am blessed to sell two cars and some computers to nairalnders that saw my ad on this ite. They've met me and though I may not disclose their id, one of the car buyers is a benin guy while the other is yoruba. If they are reading this, they should please come and attest to it and also say where and how they noticed any form of tribalism in me.

Texcee or is Tpia, get a damn life and stop being a tribal gay.
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by KarmaMod(f): 6:35pm On Oct 09, 2008
Texcee o. Tpia o. I like both of them. where is Texcee sef
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by KarmaMod(f): 6:37pm On Oct 09, 2008
They've met me and though I may not disclose their id, one of the car buyers is a benin guy while the other is yoruba. If they are reading this, they should please come and attest to it and also say where and how they noticed any form of tribalism in me.

aka I have a black friend grin
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by grafikdon: 6:38pm On Oct 09, 2008
KarmaMod:

aka I have a black friend  grin

First of all, my best friend is black. . . but black people are monkeys grin grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by doyin13(m): 6:39pm On Oct 09, 2008
But jeez mehn. . . .

I am Yoruba. . .

walahi talahi gimme lighter

shebi shebi we on fire, kini big deal kini big deal  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 09, 2008
Oga o. na fight?

Before when I type up Nigeria's tribes, na Ibo show up o. Well, I guess if the people want Igbo, they deserve Igbo, abi?

But kini wahala? Na white wey hear I- bo dey spell it like Ibo . ewo ni awa Nigerians ara wa, ta moh corrected spelling, ta wa lo nko radarada? undecided
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 09, 2008
doyin13:

I am Yoruba. . .
no no no!! It's Yoruba angry angry grin grin
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by grafikdon: 6:42pm On Oct 09, 2008
doyin13:

But jeez mehn. . . .

I am Yoruba. . .

walahi talahi gimme lighter

shebi shebi we on fire, kini big deal kini big deal  grin grin grin grin grin

I thought you were Yuruba. . . that new evil tribe that was discovered on Nairaland. . .  grin
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by tpia: 6:42pm On Oct 09, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

You are the tribalist aand I am not.Can you point any tribalist thread or whatever I indulge in but i don't like your types that keeps making sly comments and hiding under different names to throw stones at igbos. The jealously should stop for real. What do you think you are gaining from that? Nothing because we igbos have thick skin and you can only end up vexing some igbos who will throw hurtful stones at you as a rebuttal. There are so many things that need attention in todays Nigeria and you should make yourself more useful than hiding under the name Texcee tand throw stones at igbos. Like I said before, many Nairalanders have spoken to me and have met me and I am blessed to sell two cars and some computers to nairalnders that saw my ad on this ite. They've met me and though I may not disclose their id, one of the car buyers is a benin guy while the other is yoruba. If they are reading this, they should please come and attest to it and also say where and how they noticed any form of tribalism in me.

Texcee or is Tpia, get a damn life and stop being a tribal gay.

once again, trying to slander me in this manner will get you nowhere.

I threw you a challenge: go through my posts on this forum and quarrel with anything you like there. This isnt the first time someone like you will try to talk trash about a non-Igbo person appearing on an "Igbo" thread.

I repeat- when hate speech is ignored by your type, and instead you prefer to pretend mispelling Yoruba is what people are annoyed at, then you're pretty pathetic. I don't know how to put this in a way that will enter your thick brain.

For the last time, stop calling me by other people's names. If you're trying to find out the identity of texcee, then go about it in a manly manner,and not this cowardly one.

I don't NEED TO HIDE UNDER ANOTHER MONIKER TO RESPOND TO ANY TOPIC

Do you understand, or your delusions are too strong at this point? I'm here to help- let me know.

You're selling cars on this site- so what and did I buy a car from you or who asked for your personal info? Not to mention that's all the more reason for you to hide under various ids in order to display your tribalism under a different user name. na today?
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by Sauron1: 6:43pm On Oct 09, 2008
onye_ngbu:

I use to read through posts on nairaland without looking back at these misrepresentation or should I say misspelling of  Igbo.

These things might not mean much to many forum users but please lets try as much as possible to write or even pronounce  these things well.       

Whatz the flipping difference between Ibo and Igbo??
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by tope2000(f): 6:44pm On Oct 09, 2008
Ok
so what excatly is the significance of that G?? in IGBO
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 09, 2008
I thought Emeka was a male Igbo na. This one wey dey act feminine undecided
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by Sauron1: 6:45pm On Oct 09, 2008
tope2000:

Ok
so what excatly is the significance of that G?? in IGBO

I wonder!!!
Nigerians are so sensitive.
Who cares if u call me Yorugbo or Yarugbi?
Re: Please Nairalanders, We Are Igbos Not Ibos. by grafikdon: 6:46pm On Oct 09, 2008
~Sauron~:

Whatz the flipping difference between Ibo and Igbo??

Igbo is the name and language of the ethnic group while "Ibo" is the adulterated,distorted version of Igbo by Europeans who allegedly could not pronounce the "gb".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Is Behind My Trial At The Code Of Conduct Tribunal – Tinubu / Question For The Advocates Of Separation / Pictures Of Abule Egba/iyana Ipaja Covered By Flood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.