Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,298 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. (12431 Views)

Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo / Return ‘Arabic Ajami’ To Naira Notes – Muslim Group(MURIC) Urges Buhari! / Why Do Fulanis from Kwara Like Adopting Yoruba Names: Like Kolapo And Bukola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Generalkorex(m): 8:31pm On Jul 13, 2014
wazoboy: Except for number 3, I already know that others are related to Islam/Arab! No 10 does not sound arabic to me, it seems to mean "move closer to wealth"
bro
as for that No 10. Sunmola move closer to wealth is differnt from sunmela it seems dat what the op wanted to write.the yorubas ar fond of calling ismaheel sunmela
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Generalkorex(m): 8:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
abes: Except those are not Yoruba names but adapted names. So are Kafayatu, shakiratu, Alimo, Peteru, Jakobu etc.

NB: Sunmola is from Mosunmola and not Ishmael.
yeah mosunmola se omo lollypop la.sun mo bi oya ponla

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by idumuose(m): 8:51pm On Jul 13, 2014
Youngwee:

Concluding Thoughts
Several other names came to mind when I thought of this article—names like Waidi (Abdulwahid), Mukoila (Mikail), Muda, (Mudassar), etc. There are also other names that I simply couldn’t trace to any existing Arabic name I know of, but which Yoruba Muslims bear nonetheless. This includes names like Shittu, Gbadamosi (now rendered as Bhadmus, which Hausa people bear as Badamasi), Raji (which many Fulani from northeastern Nigeria also bear), etc. I hope someone reading this can educate me on the origins of these names.
Whatever it is, it is remarkable that Yoruba Muslims have successfully domesticated Arabic names to the point of making them sound like native Yoruba names.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by idumuose(m): 9:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
menice69: what of Awesu which is Uwais in Arabic
Good info.i am also learning

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by eposho: 9:11pm On Jul 13, 2014
seunfly:

No, olohunwa is not from allahu.
Olu or olo means the owner and awa means us or we hence oluwa means our owner.
Olohun = olu/olo + orun =owner of heaven.
Dia is God ohhhhhh?
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Wealthyone: 9:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
Obiagelli: quite interesting. I have always wondered what bakare meant. Is gbadamosi also Arabic?

Heard gbadamosi was derived from the name....Badmus
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
tpia1:

check his university website which categorically states his name as ramon.

Okay.

Cheers.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
wazoboy: Except for number 3, I already know that others are related to Islam/Arab! No 10 does not sound arabic to me, it seems to mean "move closer to wealth"
me too.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Isiterere(m): 11:54pm On Jul 13, 2014
Obiagelli: quite interesting. I have always wondered what bakare meant. Is gbadamosi also Arabic?
Gbadamosi =Badmus

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Isiterere(m): 11:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
tpia1: ramon, not raymond.

check the university website.

i've never heard of anyone changing their muslim name to raymond.

most nigerian muslims keep their names and do not change them to english ones. I think you used your imagination here.
he is widely addressed as Ramon Adedoyin , but his letter head is Raymond Adedoyin , d street name is Raymond Adedoyin street Parakin Ile-Ife(that's where The Polytechnic Ile-Ife is situated . He is still a Muslim though chief Mrs is a Christian . I think he twisted/funkified the name because of his exposure .
ALL IZZ WELL
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by igbanbajo(m): 5:04am On Jul 14, 2014
abes: Except those are not Yoruba names but adapted names. So are Kafayatu, shakiratu, Alimo, Peteru, Jakobu etc.

NB: Sunmola is from Mosunmola and not Ishmael.

You're party right.
Intonation is the key here.
When pronounced Sunmola (mi mi mi), it's move closer to wealth; but when pronounced Sunmola (do mi do) then it is a corrupt form of Ismail.

Have a nice week ahead.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by tpia1: 5:11am On Jul 14, 2014
Isiterere:
he is widely addressed as Ramon Adedoyin , but his letter head is Raymond Adedoyin , d street name is Raymond Adedoyin street Parakin Ile-Ife(that's where The Polytechnic Ile-Ife is situated . He is still a Muslim though chief Mrs is a Christian . I think he twisted/funkified the name because of his exposure .
ALL IZZ WELL

ok.

first time i'm hearing of such though.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by maestroferddi: 5:23am On Jul 14, 2014
seunfly:

No, olohunwa is not from allahu.
Olu or olo means the owner and awa means us or we hence oluwa means our owner.
Olohun = olu/olo + orun =owner of heaven.
I am afraid you are wrong. Do some investigations...
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by MRWHINNIG: 9:41am On Jul 14, 2014
Konmight:

Dr Adedoyin Raymond, the owner of Oduduwa University, is/was a muslim(I don't know what he presently practices). I only know his wife (maybe some of his wives, don't know the actual nos) is a christian, she attends winners chapel then at Parakin when I used to attend the Damn Church. Raymond Adedoyin was born and raised a muslim until he grew up and decided to change his name to Raymond. Like I earlier said, I don't know what he practices now.

There are many Raymonds today who were born Abdulrahmon. Even Raymond Dokpesi, the owner of DAAR communications.

Hope I made sense.

Cheers.
Raymond is an English name derived from French. It has no roots in Arabic or Yoruba whatever.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 14, 2014
MRWHINNIG: Raymond is an English name derived from French. It has no roots in Arabic or Yoruba whatever.

I know. But some Muslims who used to bear Abdulrahman or Rahman usually change their names to Raymond when to convert to christians. I've seen some.

Sometimes I ask myself, why do people convert from one religion to another?

As far as I'm concern, it's like leaving PDP for APC.

God knows better shaa.

Cheers.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by free37: 10:14am On Jul 14, 2014
ok.
lipsrsealed
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Areolad: 11:00am On Jul 14, 2014
Konmight:

Dr Adedoyin Raymond, the owner of Oduduwa University, is/was a muslim(I don't know what he presently practices). I only know his wife (maybe some of his wives, don't know the actual nos) is a christian, she attends winners chapel then at Parakin when I used to attend the Damn Church. Raymond Adedoyin was born and raised a muslim until he grew up and decided to change his name to Raymond. Like I earlier said, I don't know what he practices now.

There are many Raymonds today who were born Abdulrahmon. Even Raymond Dokpesi, the owner of DAAR communications.

Hope I made sense.

Cheers.
Dr Adedoyin Ramon, but at times they spell the name as Raymond, is a Muslim. We used to observe prayers together in the mosque of his Oduduwa University while I was working there. I left the school early this year. He has only one wife Mrs Iyabo Adedoyin who's a Christian.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by tpia1: 12:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Konmight:

I know. But some Muslims who used to bear Abdulrahman or Rahman usually change their names to Raymond when to convert to christians. I've seen some.

i've never seen any.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by yashau(m): 1:26pm On Jul 14, 2014
hamza-amusa
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Dragonking: 1:30pm On Jul 14, 2014
E don tay when yorubas be slave to their northern masters. chiaaa shocked shocked shocked
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Emerald120(f): 1:48pm On Jul 14, 2014
daryoor: all this a muslim namea translated in yoruba.

its kinda funny yoruba Christians dont name their kids in the yoruba translation.

david- dafidi

peter- peteru

john- johanu

Moses - mosisi

Samueli, Ruthu, Joshu, Janeti
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by tpia1: 1:52pm On Jul 14, 2014
The yoruba translations of those names would probably sound closer to the muslim versions, hence keeping the english form would be considered more expedient.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by seunfly: 11:15am On Jul 17, 2014
maestroferddi: I am afraid you are wrong. Do some investigations...

It seems u re not a yoruba person, if you are, then you need to go back to the basic of yoruba language so that you will understand the concept of "ORO ASOPO", "ORO AYALO" and concept of yoruba dieties (eledumare, orumila, olu awo orun and oluwa etc). I don't need to do investigation, google is own your phone.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by seunfly: 11:18am On Jul 17, 2014
maestroferddi: I am afraid you are wrong. Do some investigations...

It seems u re not a yoruba person, if you are, then you need to go back to the basic of yoruba language so that you will understand the concept of "ORO ASOPO", "ORO AYALO" and concept of yoruba dieties (eledumare, orumila, olu awo orun and oluwa etc). I don't need to do investigation, google is on your phone..

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Worked Against Release Of Ganduje Bribe Videos— Kwankwaso / 2023 Presidency: Buhari Will Never Give Tinubu What He Wants - Ayo Adebanjo / Kinsmen Endorse Shaibu For Edo Governorship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.