Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,970 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Who Created *gods?* - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Created *gods?* (2292 Views)

How The Universe Was Created And Who Created It, Disproving Atheism / Who Created God Or How Did God Come Into Existence? / Who Created God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Created *gods?* by datedoboi: 5:09pm On Jul 14, 2014
anytime i see the part in the Bible

Exodus 20:3-13 (New Living Translation)
3 "Do not worship any other gods besides me. 5 You must never worship or bow down to them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other god! I do not leave unpunished the sins of those who hate me, but I punish the children for the sins of their parents to the third and fourth generations.

i always wonder who created the gods that our heavenly father God says we should not worship.
how do dey the gods comes into the existence?
do dey also exist independently?

Deuteronomy 10:17
New International Version
For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes.
Re: Who Created *gods?* by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 14, 2014
The same person that made the one you worship: man.

2 Likes

Re: Who Created *gods?* by kevoh(m): 5:24pm On Jul 14, 2014
Let us make man god in our own image and likeness.

Man made up ''God'' ! Shikena

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by Gospels: 6:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Brb
Re: Who Created *gods?* by Gospels: 6:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
Re: Who Created *gods?* by datedoboi: 7:26pm On Jul 14, 2014
kevoh: Let us make man god in our own image and likeness.

Man made up ''God'' ! Shikena

but before this happened, there were existence of gods in Egypt (pharaohs house) and other part of the world
but gods has spirit... is it man dat created the spirit too?

Apatheist: The same person that made the one you worship: man.
wat is dis one saying?

mind u i dnt worship gods, i worship God Almighty, but sometimes when one think of this whole universe so many thoughts running in once mind
Re: Who Created *gods?* by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 14, 2014
datedoboi:

but before this happened, there were existence of gods in Egypt (pharaohs house) and other part of the world

wat is dis one saying?

mind u i dnt worship gods, i worship God Almighty, but sometimes when one think of this whole universe so many thoughts running in once mind
Man made all the gods.
Whether na capital or small letter.

2 Likes

Re: Who Created *gods?* by Rossikki: 9:40pm On Jul 14, 2014
There are really no such things as 'gods'. A being is only a 'god' to less powerful or advanced beings. A cat would probably consider men as gods.

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by freethinker01: 9:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
Man created all both 'gods' and 'god'. And they all imaginary.

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 14, 2014
"god" is like the common noun teacher, it can be given to anyone. the word "God" can refer to anyone/thing who is worshiped or a mighty person.
Re: Who Created *gods?* by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
JMAN05: "god" is like the common noun teacher, it can be given to anyone. the word "God" can refer to anyone/thing who is worshiped or a mighty person.
Is this how bad Nigeria's educational system is? sad
Re: Who Created *gods?* by macof(m): 7:02am On Jul 15, 2014
datedoboi:

wat is dis one saying?

And how do u know that the one u worship is the Almighty?

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by macof(m): 7:04am On Jul 15, 2014
JMAN05: "god" is like the common noun teacher, it can be given to anyone. the word "God" can refer to anyone/thing who is worshiped or a mighty person.

true, so it's important for OP to let us know d God he is talking about
Re: Who Created *gods?* by datedoboi: 8:42pm On Jul 15, 2014
macof:
And how do u know that the one u worship is the Almighty?

through:
For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes.
Re: Who Created *gods?* by datedoboi: 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
macof:

true, so it's important for OP to let us know d God he is talking about

am talking about the gods that accept blood and human parts as sacrifice, ur askin me as if u dnt knw wat am talkin about.

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by datedoboi: 8:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
Apatheist:
Man made all the gods.
Whether na capital or small letter.

you are funny, even Jesus father (God); man made Him?? shocked shocked
Re: Who Created *gods?* by wordcat(m): 9:56pm On Jul 15, 2014
datedoboi:

And who is jesus heavenly mother?

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by macof(m): 11:11pm On Jul 15, 2014
datedoboi:

am talking about the gods that accept blood and human parts as sacrifice, ur askin me as if u dnt knw wat am talkin about.

still you haven't identified this god or gods, because Yahweh is also known for accepting blood sacrifice and human parts

2 Likes

Re: Who Created *gods?* by macof(m): 11:17pm On Jul 15, 2014
datedoboi:

Of course. Jesus father is just a comedy show character made by the Romans

datedoboi:

through:

Can u prove this? Or u jst stupidly making claims

If u want to prove the Bible's authenticity you can't ask the Bible to tell u if it's authentic when you know it would lie
Re: Who Created *gods?* by datedoboi: 11:39pm On Jul 15, 2014
Damn... dis place is full of atheist let me run as fast i can sad

Re: Who Created *gods?* by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 16, 2014
datedoboi:

Yes, your ancestors made their Gods, the Jews made their own gods. Every god was influenced by other cultures and other gods,except most of sub-Saharan Africa because we evolved/lived in isolation.

Every culture has its own god it uses to explain things it does not know.

The Argument From Locality:
Argument from Locality runs as follows. Every religion currently being practiced on this planet, as well as every past religion which no longer has followers, has a definite, discernible origin in time and space. Even if the exact beginnings of a religion are murky, that religion still originated in a definite area and in a definite time period.

However, I argue that any god or gods which existed and which desired to reveal themselves to humanity would not do this – they would not provide a revelation to only one culture, at one time, in one place. There are several good reasons to believe this, and if it holds, then any religion which did have only a single point of origin cannot possibly be true. In short: The fact that all religions originated in one specific culture, at one specific time and place, points strongly to their being the product of that culture, time and place – and not the product of divine revelation."

How come your Jesus never revealed himself to your ancestors? All of them will go to "hell" because they didn't believe in him.

2 Likes

Re: Who Created *gods?* by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 16, 2014
Apatheist:
Is this how bad Nigeria's educational system is? sad

What is your point cos am still asking myself that question especially after I saw your comment.
Re: Who Created *gods?* by macof(m): 1:41pm On Jul 21, 2014
Apatheist:
Yes, your ancestors made their Gods, the Jews made their own gods. Every god was influenced by other cultures and other gods,except most of sub-Saharan Africa because we evolved/lived in isolation.

Argument from Locality runs as follows. Every religion currently being practiced on this planet, as well as every past religion which no longer has followers, has a definite, discernible origin in time and space. Even if the exact beginnings of a religion are murky, that religion still originated in a definite area and in a definite time period.

However, I argue that any god or gods which existed and which desired to reveal themselves to humanity would not do this – they would not provide a revelation to only one culture, at one time, in one place. There are several good reasons to believe this, and if it holds, then any religion which did have only a single point of origin cannot possibly be true. In short: The fact that all religions originated in one specific culture, at one specific time and place, points strongly to their being the product of that culture, time and place – and not the product of divine revelation."

How come your Jesus never revealed himself to your ancestors? All of them will go to "hell" because they didn't believe in him.

But you are wrong my friend.

Paganic societies don't use "God " to explain what they don't know...rather they use it to explain what they know
@apatheist

Paganic spiritualities have no "origin period". Every knowledge held is based on decades and centuries old research and understanding.

Stop fitting Paganism into the scope of christianity

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by mazaje(m): 1:45pm On Jul 21, 2014
You will understand it better when you realize that the ancient Jews were polytheist. . .

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 21, 2014
macof:

But you are wrong my friend.

Paganic societies don't use "God " to explain what they don't know...rather they use it to explain what they know
Explain?
Re: Who Created *gods?* by GooseBaba: 4:44pm On Jul 21, 2014
Clearly we know that yahweh is one of many gods. Most African abrahmist simply choose to thread on the path of ignorance in the name of faith.

That passage quoted by the op clearly show a god trying to claim or protect his market share. When a master is jealous or competes with his subjects that means the master can be replaced.

If we are to argue objectively. Then we must agree on the same starting point. There is no such thing as almighty God" because followers of any God proclaims their God as almighty.. Almighty is a state of mind. But REALITY thruimps always. Hence, the belief in a thousand and one Gods and counting..

Any God looking for converts must compete for market share.. Nobody holy pass...

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by mazaje(m): 5:09pm On Jul 21, 2014
Deuteronomy 32:8-9 reads

When the Most High apportioned the nations, when he divided humankind, he fixed the boundaries of the peoples according to the number of the gods; 9 Yahweh's own portion was his people, Jacob his allotted share.

We know from the Ugaritic (Ras Shamra) tablets that the Canaanite god El fathered 70 gods; this background informs about Deuteronomy 32:8-9.

Then I came across the article Ugarit and the Bible on theology.edu.

There is one Ugaritic text which seems to indicate that among the inhabitants of Ugarit, Yahweh was viewed as another son of El. KTU 1.1 IV 14 says:

sm . bny . yw . ilt

“The name of the son of god, Yahweh.”

This text seems to show that Yahweh was known at Ugarit, though not as the Lord but as one of the many sons of El.

The prophets of the Old Testament rail against Baal, Asherah and various other gods on nearly every page. The reason for this is simple to understand; the people of Israel worshiped these gods along with, and sometimes instead of, Yahweh, the God of Israel. This Biblical denunciation of these Canaanite gods received a fresh face when the Ugaritic texts were discovered, for at Ugarit these were the very gods that were worshiped.

El was the chief god at Ugarit. Yet El is also the name of God used in many of the Psalms for Yahweh; or at least that has been the presupposition among pious Christians. Yet when one reads these Psalms and the Ugaritic texts one sees that the very attributes for which Yahweh is acclaimed are the same for which El is acclaimed. In fact, these Psalms were most likely originally Ugaritic or Canaanite hymns to El which were simply adopted by Israel, much like the American National Anthem was set to a beer hall tune by Francis Scott Key. El is called the “father of men”, “creator”, and “creator of the creation”. These attributes are also granted Yahweh by the Old Testament.

For instances, read KTU 1. 2 I 13-32 and compare it to many of the Psalms. Also, read Ps 82:1, 89:6-8mn!).

In 1 Kings 22:19-22 we read of Yahweh meeting with his heavenly council. This is the very description of heaven which one finds in the Ugaritic texts. For in those texts the “sons of god” are the sons of El.

Other deities worshipped at Ugarit were El Shaddai, El Elyon, and El Berith. All of these names are applied to Yahweh by the writers of the Old Testament. What this means is that the Hebrew theologians adopted the titles of the Canaanite gods and attributed them to Yahweh in an effort to eliminate them. If Yahweh is all of these there is no need for the Canaanite gods to exist! This process is known as assimilation.

Besides the chief god at Ugarit there were also lesser gods, demons, and goddesses. The most important of these lesser gods were Baal (familiar to all readers of the Bible), Asherah (also familiar to readers of the Bible), Yam (the god of the sea) and Mot (the god of death). What is of great interest here is that Yam is the Hebrew word for sea and Mot is the Hebrew word for death! Is this because the Hebrews also adopted these Canaanite ideas as well? Most likely they did.

http://www.theology.edu/ugarbib.htm

Here is another very interesting piece from

In the Levantine pantheon, the Elohim are the 70 sons of El the Ancient of Days (Olam) assembled on the divine holy place, Mount Zephon (Jebel Aqra). This mountain, which lies in Syria, was regarded as a portal to its heavenly counterpart. The Elohim were originally ruled by El Elyon (God Most High), but He later hands His rule down to the god called Hadad who was known among the common people as "the master" ("Baal"wink. Assembled on the holy mountain of heaven and ruled by one, the pantheon (Elohim) acts as one. The enemy of the Elohim is Yam ("the sea"wink, a chaos monster slain by Baal. Each son was allocated to a specific people (e.g. Yahweh to Israel, Milcom to Moab etc.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim#Canaanite_religion

It seems the ancient Jews got the idea of their God from previous civilizations, the Canaanites and others, no wonder to preserve do away with them, their God it was written told them to kill them all off and take all that belongs to them. . . . . .
Re: Who Created *gods?* by mazaje(m): 5:10pm On Jul 21, 2014
he final editors of the Hebrew canon were fervent monotheists, but a remnant of the polytheistic basis of the pre-Mosaic religion can still be detected. Albrecht Alt has shown that divine titles such as 'El Bet' el (Gen. 31:13; 35:7); 'El 'Olam (Gen. 21:33); and 'El Ro'i (Gen. 16:13); 'El 'Elyon (Gen. 14:18); and 'El Saddai (Gen. 17:1); all later taken to be one God (Yahweh) after Moses, were all originally separate gods worshipped by the early Hebrews.3 The Catholic scholar Bruce Vawter concurs with Alt. According to Vawter, none of the available English translations does justice to the original Hebrew of Genesis 31:13, which quite simply reads "I am the god Bethel" ('El Bet'el), who was a member of the Canaanite pantheon along with the rest of the above.4 The original meaning is therefore quite different from the traditional understanding: this god at Bethel is not the universal Lord who appeared at Bethel but just one god among many – a local deity of a specific place.

In the mutual swearing of Jacob and Laban (Gen. 31:51f) it is clear that two distinct gods are referred to.5 The work of later editors is clearly evident in this passage. As Alt states: "Was it not plain paganism for the ancestor of Israel and one of his relations to swear by two different gods? This dangerous sentence had to be rendered harmless by an addition or alternation."6 In Judges 11:24 Jepthah recognizes the authority of the god Chemosh, at least for the Ammonites in their own land.

The popular notion that Moses was the original monotheist is a thesis that has very little support. As we shall soon see, Moses probably was not even a monotheist, but even if he was, there was monotheism in Egypt a generation before Moses, most likely under the heretic king Akhenaten of the 14th century B.C.E. In his insistence on the worship of Yahweh alone, Moses was a henotheist, i.e., he believed that Yahweh was the greatest among the gods, the king of gods.

The traditional belief that Yahweh revealed himself solely to Moses, and that no people except the Hebrews worshipped Yahweh, is also becoming more tenuous. Several scholars have pointed out evidence of Yahweh worship among several pre-Mosaic eastern cultures.7 For example, the controversial tablets at Ebla, dating back into the 3rd millennium B.C.E., speak of a god by the name of "Ya," who is linked to the Yahweh of Moses by some Ebla scholars.8

Contrary to popular understanding, the First Commandment, "You shall have no other gods before me," does not deny the existence of other deities. In his commentary on Deuteronomy Anthony Phillips maintains that "there is here no thought of monotheism. The commandment does not seek to repudiate the existence of other gods, but to prevent Israel from having anything to do with them."9 The ontological status of other gods besides Yahweh can be explicitly seen in Deut. 32:8, where we find Yahweh setting the boundaries of nations according to the "number of the sons of God." The RSV follows the Septuagint text, which has been reinforced by the copy of Deuteronomy found among the Dead Sea Scrolls in Cave 4 at Qumran. . . .

http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/henotheism.htm
Re: Who Created *gods?* by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:56pm On Jul 21, 2014
Apatheist:
Explain?

We dont believe in God. . . . .we know our God.

My atheistic Aborisha. . . .how far?
Re: Who Created *gods?* by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:06pm On Jul 21, 2014
Apatheist:

This atheist guys sha, na wa o

Let us know if the bold is true. . . .we shall know who is making true/fasle claims.

Iyale or Iya-ile is a Goddess in Yoruba spirituality. She is popularly know as Mother Nature or Mother Earth in the greek culture which is Nature in the real sense.

Did Man or Our ancestors created nature/earth?

1 Like

Re: Who Created *gods?* by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 21, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

We dont believe in God. . . . .we know our God.
who/what exactly?

My atheistic Aborisha. . . .how far?
I gave conditions...
Re: Who Created *gods?* by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:09pm On Jul 21, 2014
Rossikki: There are really no such things as 'gods'. A being is only a 'god' to less powerful or advanced beings. A cat would probably consider men as gods.

The most sensible post on this thread so far.

At least someone took a step defining what God is. . .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PROPHECY: Dr. Paul Enenche Of Dunamis Reveals What Will Happen In 2016 / See Evidence The Jesus With "Long Hair" In Churches Is False. / The Bible Meme Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.