Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) (6423 Views)

SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER / Lonely Days- A Review / Tears Of A Broken Heart-a Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 14, 2014
All rights reserved. No part of this may be posted anywhere outside this forum without the prior notice/permission of the copyright owner. You are not allowed to read the complete series without having something positive to add to your life, or at least laugh or smile about.
(c) Shoefreak Mizzthang OluwaBunmilola grin whichever suits your memory. kiss

Dedicated to damiso and naijababe, kiss grin

Please note that this is a sequel to another novel of mine tats now available on my blog and can be downloaded for free on amazon. Enjoy!

CHAPTER ONE:

Each morning Sean would wake up with the same feeling of loneliness and depression. It was the type that could be associated with living in a country that's oceans away from yours. His childhood was over where he had everything handed to him either by his parents or by his sister. The decision his sister took to send him abroad to study didn’t really sink in but he knew she had meant well. He was not particularly thrilled at first but the admission letter and the visa and the plane ride changed his mind.

Even when his mind was doubtful, he loved adventures and that was one of such he didn't want to pass him. People had always teased him for being a spoilt silver-spoon-in-the-mouth child. Sean knew better but he would just laugh and waved whatever anyone had to say aside. His life had not been smooth sailing and the position where he was at that moment was all thanks to his sister and her every-means possible techniques that involved things that even Sean didn’t want to acknowledged.

He was in a strange country now with strange people and cultures, and all he wished for was for his sister Alice to be there with him. He wished he could open his eyes to see his sister smiling down at him and urging him to get ready for lectures and he smiled. The statement Alice Bryn would have made where she to be present was far from that. It would be more in the line of scolding him for being a lazy bone. Sean always woke up like that and it was always something he hated but which had become a habit of his.

It had gone on for a long time until this particular morning Sean had woken up with a different feeling. He couldn’t place it but it was like no other morning since he had been in South Africa. Ordinarily, he would lay on his bed even while awake and encourage himself to get up and start the day. He’d had to drag himself out of bed every morning to his table for some light reading then to the bathroom. Most times he’d skip breakfast and would go to campus without food.

He opened his eyes, said a silent prayer and got off the bed immediately. He did some cardio-muscular exercises and after which he had called his friend Derek. He switched on the mini-home theater and slotted in his favorite music and started dancing. He asked himself why he was dancing as he moved to the song. He persuaded himself to stop but his feet and body didn’t stop moving to the rhythm. Well, this had better be an exceptional day he thought to himself as he did a Pharrel move.

He danced his way to the kitchen as he read out from his book. Still dancing, he brought eggs from his small fridge and placed a loaf of bread on the kitchen cabinet. His doorbell rang and he dashed there with his feet still following the beat from the music. It was Derek. Derek looked at Sean as he opened the door. He looked past Sean’s shoulder into the room then back at him.

“Is something wrong? It is 7:30 in the morning and you are wide awake and dancing. Dancing!!” Derek said without moving. Sean laughed and spun Derek around which brought the latter into the room and he closed the door with his feet.

“Do you want breakfast? I want to make egg-white omelet, healthy eating,” Sean said as he dropped his book on the table. Derek was walking around the room as if he was looking for something. Sean asked if he’d lost forgotten something in his room.

“Is there a chic in here somewhere?”

“What chic? Have you ever seen me with any chic since we have been friends?” Sean asked as he danced into the kitchen.

“Will you stop dancing for a minute and talk to me? Should I be worried? You read too much, is that why?” Derek asked. “Has your brain finally gone kaput?”

“You are something else. Are you saying that I shouldn’t dance when I am happy? Anyway, do you want breakfast?” Sean asked as he lit the stove.

Derek leaned on the cabinet and watched Sean carefully. Sean’s behavior was a surprise to him. He had never come there to see him out of bed not to talk of listening to music but there he was dancing. It all seemed fishy and he started thinking of a way to call Sean’s sister in Nigeria. Sean turned to look at him and smiled when he saw the concerned look on Derek’s face then he stuck out his tongue at his friend.

“Okay. I have had it. I am calling your sister right now.” Derek declared. Sean laughed out loud and led Derek into the room. He stopped the music and tried to explain to Derek as much as he could. When he finished talking, Derek shrugged.

“That is crazy. You don’t know why you are in this mood. Is that what you just said?” Derek asked.

“Yes I don’t. I woke up and I found myself happy and so excited. Maybe today is the day I will meet someone special,” Sean explained. Derek laughed then.

“Oh now I understand. There is some chic you have been eyeing and today is the day you really ask her out. Well that is more of an explanation than the crap you told me earlier," Derek asnwered with a smile.

"What? Are you even..."

"Who is she? Is she someone I know?” Derek asked with raised eyebrow. Derek didn’t understand and Sean didn’t get it too so he just smiled as he ignored his friend hoping he would forget about it and eat up.

Fifteen minutes later, with glorious silence from Derek during breakfast, Sean’s mood changed again. This time it was like something was hurrying him out of to the apartment. He didn’t even bother to wash the dishes; he just piled them up and left them on the table. Derek made a move to wash up but Sean asked him not to. He said something about them being too late for school.

“What on earth are you talking about?! We don’t have classes till ten, buddy,” Derek complained, looking at Sean like he had gone insane.

“We have to start going to campus now,” Sean replied and pulled Derek up. Derek snatched his hand from Sean’s grip and sat down.

“No. We will wait a few more minutes and whatever is biting you has to ease up. Anyway, take a look at this,” Derek said as he brought out a magazine from his bag. He tossed it in front of Sean. Sean looked at his wristwatch and then at Derek. Derek signaled for him to pick the magazine up and open to page eight. Sean knew better than to argue with Derek anytime he was like that so he just did as he was told.

“What am I supposed to be looking for?” Sean asked as he flipped through the pages.

“The dating classifieds,” Derek replied. Sean shot him a look that could melt stone.

“What the h...? You asked me to wait so we could look at dating classifieds. Are you insane?” Sean snarled. Derek shook his head and urged him to read. Sean dropped the magazine and made to go to the door.

“No. There is one particular girl in there that I find very interesting. You should call her,” Derek answered hurriedly.

“I am leaving. If you want me to read that, it has to wait till I come back. Lock my door after you please,” Sean said without stopping. Derek knew then that he had no choice but to also follow Sean. He would explain the brain behind it on their way to campus. Moreover, Derek was suspicious that there was more to Sean’s sudden urge to get to the university and he intended to find out. They went out of the apartment and off to their UNISA campus.

***please be free to bring your criticism and comments. It's such that makes me better, or at least try to be***

3 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 14, 2014
CHAPTER TWO

In not to far away Sunnyside, Pretoria, Brenda was standing at the side of the road waiting for a taxi that would transport her to campus. She was apprehensive that morning and was beginning to wonder why she was in such a hurry to get to the university that day. It was very unusual of her to get up and not mope around her room before getting ready for school. There was something strange pulling her like she was a puppet on a string.

The thing had pulled her thirty minutes before the time she normally would get out of bed. The same thing had also persuaded her to wear a skinny jean that she had pushed to the back of her big closet, because she was not one for anything that called attention to her. Her mouth had unwillingly curled up into a smile when she saw her reflection in the mirror and she had wondered why she felt that was a good look for her. She ate apples instead of bananas and she chose her red-rimmed glasses instead of the black ones.

After all that been done, Brenda locked her door to the leering stare of the boys on her corridor. She also noticed the mischievous grin on the faces of the ladies who always thought Brenda was a wet blanket that had to ejected from that building. Her phone started to ring when she got to the elevator and she picked up. It was her brother.

“Sawubona! Unjani?,” Brenda greeted in Zulu as she adjusted her seemingly tight blouse. She was beginning to feel that her choice of outfit wasn't the right one after all but she was late. One of the ladies asked who the jerk was that had caught her attention. Brenda shook her but kept walking, she had other things on her mind that to reply a bimbo in a slutty skirt.

Her brother said something about an amount of money that had been deposited into her ABSA bank account and his intending visit to her place over the weekend. They chatted over nothing for a while and disconnected with a promise to call back soon. The guy that joined the elevator at the 3rd floor paused before he entered. He stood behind Brenda and winked as she shifted for him to pass.

"Unjani?" The guy said and Brenda said she was good to the question about her well being. No one said 'how are you' to someone they'd always thought was a nerd. She was feeling very nervous and she could feel his stare drilling a hole into the back of her head. What a day this is going to turn out to be, Brenda thought as the elevator finally opened. She walked as fast as she could and didn't look back till she was outside the compound and on the road.

The first taxi that stopped in front of Brenda didn’t have a charming driver so Brenda waved him off. The next one had a panama cap that clashed with Brenda’s bag and he was also waved away. The fifth one had a nice-person look and his shirt was a good match for Brenda. So he was her driver for the day.

When Sean and Derek got to the campus they went straight for lectures. Derek was a fine art student and he had a life drawing to do somewhere near the administrative building. Sean on the other hand had a chemistry practical to supervise as the class rep. They said goodbye to each other and went their separate ways.

The chemistry practical turned out alright so Sean finished early. He had promised Derek to buy him boerwors and pap for lunch, so when it was time he went looking for him at the cafeteria. As he made his way to the cafeteria, he heard an argument behind him. The voice of the lady was shrill but strong. It was the kind of voice that holds a lot of passion but at the same time bold. Sean turned and he saw her. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen aside his sister. The lady looked in his direction and Sean turned his back. He was not sure of what to do.

Derek would have stepped in if he were there. Sean felt in his heart that he was supposed to go and talk to the lady. Nobody had ever caught his attention like that, somehow she made his heartbeat accelerate. He turned again in time to see the cab man getting out of his car. Sean noticed that the argument was about the fare. The lady probably didn’t have that much money on her and Sean could see that she was beginning to sound perplexed. He cleared his throat and turned towards them.

4 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by LarrySun(m): 7:44pm On Jul 14, 2014
Okay. Nice intro.

But I detect a faint whiff of redundancy in the narratives. And the former parts of the posts are guilty of excessive use of conjunctions; 'and' most especially. Some clauses also scream for punctuations.

Above all, you are doing a great job.

3 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by PrettySpicey(f): 10:32pm On Jul 14, 2014
Quite good, shoefreak and great beginning too.

Dare I suggest you separate the paragraphs more for easier read? It helps with those using simpler handsets.

Nice work all in all

2 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Greyworld: 7:00am On Jul 15, 2014
ma sit tight
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 15, 2014
Nice one Shoefreak.

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 15, 2014
Oga na u

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 15, 2014
LarrySun: Okay. Nice intro.

But I detect a faint whiff of redundancy in the narratives. And the former parts of the posts are guilty of excessive use of conjunctions; 'and' most especially. Some clauses also scream for punctuations.

Bro, good observation. But you should know that there is no such thing as excessive use of conjunctions in works of Literature.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by LarrySun(m): 2:22pm On Jul 15, 2014
hifaif:

Bro, good observation. But you should know that there is no such thing as excessive use of conjunctions in works of Literature.
Really? You mean conjunctions can be overly used? Wow! Tell me something, I'm willing to learn.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jul 15, 2014
Nice intro!
#legs crossed#
#fingers crossed#
#mouth munching pop-corn#
Carry on!

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
LarrySun:
Really? You mean conjunctions can be overly used? Wow! Tell me something, I'm willing to learn.

Literature affords you much more freedom than essay or article-writing where you have to stick to all the rules of grammar.
Ernest Hemingway is still described as the finest writer to come out of the American continent and one of the earliest Americans to win a Nobel Prize, yet the guy stuffed his works with conjunctions, especially, 'and'. It became his style of writing. Just read the opening paragraph of his book 'Farewells to Arms'. Just the opening paragraph alone and see the number of conjunctions there.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by LarrySun(m): 3:56pm On Jul 15, 2014
hifaif:

Literature affords you much more freedom than essay or article-writing where you have to stick to all the rules of grammar.
Ernest Hemingway is still described as the finest writer to come out of the American continent and one of the earliest Americans to win a Nobel Prize, yet the guy stuffed his works with conjunctions, especially, 'and'. It became his style of writing. Just read the opening paragraph of his book 'Farewells to Arms'. Just the opening paragraph alone and see the number of conjunctions there.
I don't want to derail the OP's thread. Poetry, a genre of Literature, may afford you the 'freedom' you said, but I disagree when it comes to Prose (fictions and all). You are the first man to tell me a work of prose can be wanting in grammar. I'm sure you know that essays and articles are also works of literature.

And as for your comparison with Hemingway, there is a diversity in styles, my brother. I read Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea' and didn't find any fault in his use of conjunctions. What I am saying is that when the same conjunction appears numerous in a single sentence (as I noticed in the OP's posts) it becomes an excessive use.

2 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 15, 2014
LarrySun:
I don't want to derail the OP's thread. Poetry, a genre of Literature, may afford you the 'freedom' you said, but I disagree when it comes to Prose (fictions and all). You are the first man to tell me a work of prose can be wanting in grammar. I'm sure you know that essays and articles are also works of literature.

And as for your comparison with Hemingway, there is a diversity in styles, my brother. I read Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea' and didn't find any fault in his use of conjunctions. What I am saying is that when the same conjunction appears numerous in a single sentence (as I noticed in the OP's posts) it becomes an excessive use.

That was his last book written at a time he was enduring a terminal illness. Read his earliest works. I am out.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 15, 2014
LarrySun:

True, they are works of literature. I should have used works of art instead. Maybe, there would be a better time to talk about this. Respect, bro.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
Jennimma: Nice one Shoefreak.
Thanks dear. I appreciate you.

LarrySun: Okay. Nice intro.
Noted. Thank you for reading. I tend to use 'and' a lot because I feel weird when I have sentences wit more than eight words. I can only get better anyway. Thank you.

LyndaRoyce: Nice intro!
#legs crossed#
#fingers crossed#
#mouth munching pop-corn#
Carry on!
thanks dear. Will update soon enough.

@divepen
@prettyspicey: noted
@jennimma
@greyworld

Thanks for reading.

And hifaif too.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 15, 2014
CHAPTER THREE

Meanwhile, somewhere in Abuja, the capital city of Nigeria, Julia and her friends sat in front of the office of the principal of Criterion High School awaiting the man’s arrival. Julia looked at her friends and smiled. They had called her a disillusioned pretty-face when she told them that they would be doing their final teaching practice at the prestigious CHS. Julia knew people and people knew her, but none of them took her seriously.

She had toured Abuja to a point where she knew what was happening. She knew who was calling the worthy shots and where the real actions were. She saw Abuja as her chess board and she intended making it her own. No matter whom she was playing with, she would always hold high aces.

The students of Criterion High School trooped into their school compound. They were chatting, running, screaming and making happy noises. The atmosphere was that of a happy Monday morning that was preceded by a wonderful weekend. It reflected on the faces of the students as they filed into their various classes to begin another term of the school session. Julia and the others watched silently as the students went about their various activities.

“These students are many. They are probably as many in each class. How do they want us to cope with such large classes?” Julia lamented, facing Tonia who just smiled and nudged Nike to reply.
Nike looked at Julia, made a face and told her to ask Lola instead of them. Lola was not aware of their conservation or she pretended not to. She just concentrated on her nails.

“Lola, what class do you intend to teach?” Julia asked Lola.

Lola stopped filling her nails and looked up. She looked at Nike, then back at Julia. She shrugged and continued filing her nails. Julia moved closer to her, snatched her nail file and repeated her question. Lola frowned and pointed a warning finger at Julia who stood firmly in front of her without blinking.

“Okay. If you must know, I think I’ll take a senior class. You know you can’t handle such a class due to the fact that you are kind of slow,” Lola answered with a funny grin on her face. She had intended to infuriate the Julia.

Julia opened her mouth as if to speak but she said nothing. She threw the nail file at Lola and walked away towards Tonia and Nike. The two ladies then burst into laughter as Julia got near them. Julia hissed and started towards the other girls who were just looking on as everything happened.

“I’m sorry for keeping you waiting. I’m Mr. Benson, the vice principal of the school. Please, come with me,” a man said directing them towards an office adjacent to the principal’s office.

The office had a big mahogany table, two high back chairs faced the table and one office chair on which Mr. Benson sat on. The man started talking to someone through the intercom on the table. A few minutes after and he adjusted his tie and faced the people in front of him.

“Yes. Welcome everyone. The principal is not here right now and he may not be here today. So I’ll be the one to assign you to your classes and the number of periods you'd take per day…”

“Excuse me sir,” Julia said, bringing a frown on the other faces. A reaction she noticed but chose to ignore.

“Yes, Miss….,” replied Mr. Benson, looking into the letter of introduction he had picked up.

“I am Julia sir. Julia Anozie.”

“Okay. Miss Anozie. What was it you wanted to say?” Mr. Benson asked.

“Yes, will there be accommodation for those of us that are not resident in this town sir?” she asked. Mr. Benson smiled as he picked up the phone. He talked to someone for some minutes and replaced the receiver.

“Miss. Anozie. There is an empty staff quarters for you and the others that are involved. The men however will have to… Oh, welcome, Mrs. Adesola,” said Mr. Benson as a woman entered the office and stood by his table ignoring the student-teachers.

“Mr. Benson, you called for me sir.”

“Yes. These are our new student-teachers. I would like you to make provisions for them to occupy the vacant flat beside the girls hostel," the man started.

"Okay."

"Please send some senior students there to clean up the place and bring the key over by two. Everyone, this is Mrs. Adesola, our female hostel manager,” Mr. Benson concluded.

“Good morning,” greeted the student-teachers except Julia who just nodded.

“Good morning. You’re welcome,” replied Mrs. Adesola as she walked out of the office. Julia made up her mind that she didn’t like that woman.

Mr. Benson allocated Tonia to a junior class to teach social studies. Lola wanted a senior class but Mr. Benson declined based on the fact that she only minored in Economics which disqualified her, so she was given a junior class. Julia was also asked to teach business studies at the junior class. Nike and another girl were given the senior classes because they majored in Economics. This didn’t go well with Lola; she frowned when Julia made a funny face at her. Mr. Benson dismissed them and they followed another teacher who was to show them around the school premises.

5 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by LarrySun(m): 9:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
I sense envy brewing among those girls.

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
CHAPTER FOUR

Everything else started in earnest after that. They were welcomed and introduced to the students. As always, many of the students had taken to divalicious Julia. The girls liked her sense of style and the little scarves she ties around her neck. And the boys, well, talk about teen crushes.

“Some people think they are smarter than the others but they get punched in the face,” Julia commented a few days later as they sat in the music room which was to be their office throughout their stay in the school. Lola hisses as she entered the room.

“It’s not your fault, Miss yellow-pawpaw,” Lola replied and sat down.

“Lola! Lola! Watch your utterances or else?” Julia warned.

“Or else what? Nonsense,” Lola replied angrily.

“You girls should mind how to behave. We just started our task and you’re already at each other’s throat,” Tonia said as she drew something on a cardboard paper.

“Please, keep the noise down. You’re not the only one here,” complained Mrs. Samson, the music tutor.

“We’re sorry ma. It’s this stubborn girl that is stepping on people’s toes,” replied Julia as she pulled Lola by the hand in a bid to drag her to Mrs. Samson. Lola pulled her hair and they both started to laugh while the others looked at them scornfully.

“You two are something else,” Mrs. Samson said and smiled as she walked out.

“The two of you are birds of same feather. When we asked you to contribute money back at the hostel you were complaining of not having money. Yet you’ll want the largest part of the food,” said Tonia as she held unto Lola’s skirt.

“Ah! Ah! Do you want to strip me naked for these guys to feast on,” Lola asked pulling away from Tonia’s grip. Dave, one of the male teachers walked in at that moment and the girls burst into laughter leaving Dave to wonder what it was all about.

The bell rang to signify the close of school for the day. Julia called some students inside the music room and ordered them to sweep the floor. Some were to dust the furniture while the others arranged the books. When the students were through, she closed the door and joined the others as they walked to the administrative block to sign-out for the day. They then headed back to their flat to spend the rest of the day. The male student-teachers bade them goodnight and went on their way.

When they got into their room, Julia stretched out on the bed and yawned. Tonia and Lola sat down to eat as Nike went into the bathroom to take a shower.

“Don’t eat all the food. You didn’t contribute more than fifty naira and there you are eating yam and fried egg," Julia said aas she untied the scarf.

"And so, abeg, make we hear word jors," Lola replied.

"Which word, thing wey I never start. Bring your plate and let me see the slices of yam you have taken,” Julia complained. She got up and tried to peer into what the other ladies had on their plates.

“Hold my throat so that I won’t eat. You had better keep quiet or sleep. Your food is still in the pot. We only took a small part,” replied Tonia as she tried to hide her plate from Julia’s scrutiny.

Just then Tonia’s phone started to ring but she ignored it and continued struggling with Julia.

“You won’t answer your call because of a plate of food. It might be Sam,” Nike said as she came out of the bathroom, and she picked up Tonia’s phone.

“Hello… Tonia’s busy right now… She’s fighting with Julia over a plate of…,” Tonia snatched her phone and frowned at Nike who just laughed.

“Hi. Who is this?”

Julia made a face and started to hug the teddy bear on the bed and feigned kisses.

“Who did you say you are? Oh, Sam… How are you? Why did you hide your number?” Tonia said into her phone. Sam was her boyfriend. Julia and Lola screamed and started to laugh.

“Don’t mind these silly girls… It’s Julia and Lola as usual… What? Oh God not again? Sam, this is not fair. What sort of relationship is this anyway? I am sick of it Sam. Goodbye,” Tonia hung up, walked up to the bed.

The other ladies stopped laughing as she sat down and screamed into the pillow. Lola, Julia and Nike looked at each other and frowned. The relationship between Sam and Tonia had not been too cordial in recent times and they had noticed and didn’t really like it.

“Is it the same busy story?” Julia asked.

“Yes… It’s just not fair?” Tonia replied with tears in her eyes and she sneezed.

“Don’t cry. It’s not worth it,” said Nike.

“I will not pity you. I told you that such a relationship can’t work. I told you it was a waste of time,” countered Julia.

“How can you say that? I love him very much. We’ve come a long way,” Tonia said in defense. “I always respect what you say but that was insensitive of you.”

“Oh really? You only see the guy twice in a year! And it's not like he lives outside the country. Dear, forget it,” Julia continued.

“Stay out of it if you can’t think of anything better to say,” said Lola, as she pushed Julia to the side.

“You guys always amaze me. You are encouraging this lady to waste her time with someone that is obviously not sitting around wondering how happy she is,” Julia said again with contempt.

“Do not listen to her. If he’s really yours, he’ll be more serious and if he is not, there’ll be others,” said Nike as she pulled Tonia towards herself.

“When will that be? I’m not getting any younger you know,” Tonia lamented.

“Anyways, Sly is coming over this evening to take us out. You do not have to sit here and mope. I know that will take your mind off things,” Julia said in a lighter mood.

“I would hate to agree with this one but she's right,” Lola said and Nike agreed that it would really help in relieving Tonia of the mood she was in.

Tonia agreed to follow them reluctantly after Julia had threatened not to borrow her a Jimmy-Choo sandal. She had boasted about wearing the sandal to a family party the following weekend. What did she have to loose anyway. Sam was a selfish man and who said she also didn't have the right to be selfish too.

5 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 15, 2014
Hahaha. It's just weird personalities rolled into one huge friendship. cheesy
LarrySun: I sense envy brewing among those girls.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 15, 2014
CHAPTER FIVE

As soon as they arrived at their destination, Julia was immediately all over the place. Everyone knew her to be the life of any place. Her friends were always in her shadow and they trusted her to make things happen for them. Tonia however was not feeling it, she started to feel out of place and moody. She sat alone at a corner as she drank a bottle of malt. Her expression was blank and downcasted.

Tonia’s eyes wandered to Julia and Lola as they danced so closely with some guys Tonia had never seen before. She frowned deeply, it was as if she was in another planet and was the alien visitor. The music stopped some minutes later, and they came back to their vacated seats and drinks.

“Is there something you would like to ask Tonia, Byron?” Julia asked as she came close to where Tonia sat. Tonia looked up as she heard her name. She knew what that sounded like; Julia was up to her tricks again.

“Tonia, can I take you out one of these days or is there a boyfriend?” asked Byron, one of the guys Sly had come with.

“No. She doesn’t have a boyfriend,” replied Julia.

“I can answer for myself, Julia,” Tonia said in defense.

“I’m sorry. I just wanted to make it fast,” replied Julia as she sipped her beer.

“So, would your boyfriend….”

“Yes. What is it anyway?” Tonia asked, staring at Byron.

“Oh it’s nothing really. I was just asking and wondering,” Byron replied.

“Ask and wonder somewhere else. Sly, when are you taking us back to the quarters?” Tonia asked and turned to look at Sly who was busy ogling Julia.

“Whenever you girls are ready,” replied Sly as he held Julia’s hand, “But not with this angel though.”

“I have to be at work tomorrow so don’t get any cute ideas that I will stay,” replied Julia as she hugged and kissed Sly.
Tonia frowned as she caught Byron and Lola whispering and eyeing her suspiciously.

“What are you whispering to this guy?” Tonia asked waving a finger at Lola.

“It is nothing serious. I was just telling Byron that your boyfriend is in Onitsha and that you’ve not seen him in eight months.” Lola replied.

“Who gave you that right to be saying such things about me? That is a private issue! I hate that, Lola." Tonia said angrily as Lola rolled her eyes.

"Calm down!"

"I really don’t like it and it’s not your business. Julia, please warn Lola,” Tonia said angrily. Julia waved a finger at Lola who just smiled and looked away. Byron stood up from his seat and sat beside Tonia who was looking at him with scornful eyes.

“I’ll make you happy. I’ll be the best…,” he started.

“Please spare me all that nonsense. Sly, I think it’s time we leave now. Its late as it is,” said Tonia and she stood up to adjust her trouser.

“Are you all ready to go?” Sly asked as he turned to look at Lola.

“We’re not….,” Lola began but stopped when she saw Tonia’s angry stare.

“We should be leaving. I don’t want anyone to bother my girl any more,” Julia replied.

“Oh, we’re ready,” Lola said.

“Okay, let’s go,” Julia said.

“Are you sure you won’t stay?” Sly asked Julia.

“Please let’s go,” said Tonia quite uneasily.

“What’s the hurry about anyway?” replied Byron as he tried to hold Tonia’s hand.

“Don’t even think about it,” threatened Tonia.

“Touchy! Touchy!” Byron said jokingly.

“Whatever, mummy's pet,” hissed Tonia as she picked up her pace.

Byron stopped short as he heard the insult; he looked at Sly who pleaded to him to ignore Tonia. Julia made a face and went after Tonia. Byron walked after them, caught up with Tonia and pointed a warning finger at her. Julia slapped his hand away. Byron made to say something but the stare from Julia changed his mind for him and he finally walked past her to the SUV. Tonia looked at him, went to the other side of the car and waited for the others to catch up.

The gate was locked by the time they got to the school. Sly had to offer the gateman some money before he could opened the gate. Sly and the others drove off and the girls walked to their quarters.

“Wow, what a night!! I think we should do this more often Julia,” Lola said as she sat on her bed.

Tonia looked at her, shook her head and called her a glutton. Lola hissed and told her that she’d rather be that than a Miss Goody Two Shoes like Tonia.

“Honestly,” interrupted Nike, “You ought to go out a little more.”

“Socialize more with people. You don’t expect Mr. Right to come to you while inside your shell, do you?” Julia asked.

“Let me be,” Tonia complained. Julia went to sit beside her. They started to say something very silently that Lola and Nike couldn’t catch but at the end of their conversation, Tonia nodded.

“Alright, we’ll leave you to drool over this non-existing relationship. But when it begins to hurt deeper, don’t come running to us for sympathy,” said Lola with all seriousness.

“I think she understand that we are just trying to help,” said Nike with concern on her face.

“Thank you but no thanks,” Tonia replied and went into the bathroom to shed some pent-up tears in spite of Julia’s call.
Lola and Nike shook their heads and Julia told them to give Tonia a little time and space.

“When the bubble bursts, no one will blame us and she’ll know better. I pray it will not be too long though,” said Nike.

“That is exactly my point. I will not want anybody to call me a bad friend,” concluded Lola as she took off her clothes.

“She is stronger than you think. She will figure it out herself,” Julia said as she started getting undressed too.

They all sat down and listened to Tonia’s sniffing and sneezing.

5 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by PrettySpicey(f): 11:24am On Jul 16, 2014
Tonia face ya life and leave Sam o... that boy has a hidden agenda o
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by kingphilip(m): 11:33am On Jul 16, 2014
PrettySpicey: Tonia face ya life and leave Sam o... that boy has a hidden agenda o
Can't wait for nxt week Tuesday
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 16, 2014
Hmmmm...
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 16, 2014
What's with the Hmmmm grin **sticks finger in his nose*a*

olubukato: Hmmmm...

kingphilip:
Can't wait for nxt week Tuesday
undecided what's happening next week Tuesday? cheesy

PrettySpicey: Tonia face ya life and leave Sam o... that boy has a hidden agenda o
grin
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 16, 2014
CHAPTER SIX

The students of junior class Two A gathered in front of the music room after they had received summon from their social studies student-teacher, Tonia.

“Will you people keep quiet or do you want me to use the cane on you?” said a teacher that was teaching in a class next to the music room.

“We’re sorry sir,” they chorused and kept quiet and waited.

Tonia went outside to where the students were gathered and handed a sheet of paper to the class captain and told him to read out the names on the list. She instructed that the students whose name gets called were to to wait while the others should return to their class. The boy read out the names, those concerned left leaving seven students standing. Tonia instructed them to kneel; she asked why their assignments were not submitted with the others.

After the unsatisfactory murmur, Tonia implored Julia to whip them as she sat each one down to do the undone assignment. By the time all these were over, it was their recess time and Tonia released them to go for it. She however instructed them to complete their assignments and bring it over before they'd go home. Tonia stretched and yawned. It had been a very hectic day and she felt tired.

“You these born-teachers are always easy to identify,” Julia observed while eating ground nuts and pop-corn, “If you want me to help you beat your students next time you have to pay.”

“Thanks for the compliment,” Tonia replied, “Yes I will pay. You know I can’t beat them.”

“Look at me. I don’t even have to go to my class regularly. Mr. Dairo takes care of it,” Julia concluded and cat walked to her table.

“Well, everybody knows you have nothing to offer these students anyway. The better for them if you just stay away,” Lola commented and moved away before Julia could compose herself to reply.

“Did she just say that? Lola, don’t you ever insult me. I wasn’t talking to you, was I?” Julia replied angrily and pointed a finger at Lola who had started reading a soft-sell magazine she had picked up a table.

"Na you know," Lola replied without looking up.

“Busy body,” Julia said and hissed.

Later, Nike and Lola started to copy some numbers from the magazine and they teased each other as they did so.

“What’s so interesting?” Tonia asked, peering into what they were doing.

“Well come to think of it. You can write out the website too Tonia,” Lola said.

“What website? I don’t get you,” Tonia replied still confused by it all.

“There is a Nigeria Pen pal or is it dating website advertised in the magazine; and you never can know, you may find someone you like,” Lola explained. Tonia snatched the magazine and started to read.

“Who are these people? What gave them the impression that they’d find someone that’ll suit them by displaying themselves on a website,” Tonia complained.

“Nike and I will be buy data on her modem so we can register on the website and see how far it gets us. Well, hopefully we’ll get a Mr. Right through it,” Lola said typing something into her phone.

“What? I thought you have a Mr. Right?” Tonia asked, looking at Lola with a questioning look.

“He has been suspended until further notice. This is an international dating site, International men,” Lola concluded.

“Oh I see. Well, it’ll be fun, let me in on it too. It can be a good past time but I still think it’s a facade,” said Tonia.

“Try it and wait,” Nike replied, “What will you write about yourself?”

“Listen to this. 'I’m a beautiful angel with a nice body, cute stature, kissable lips…,” Julia read from her phone.

“What is your problem? Are you trying to lure all these unserious guys with sex on their minds?” Nike asked eyeing Julia scornfully.

“Hell, yes!"

"You are crazy in the head."

"It’s none of your business,” Julia replied, “Why are you always on my case?”

“Put a touch of spice, Tonia. Play around this thing and have fun. Let Sam’s eyes pop open when he sees you’re not being miserable as he thought you would be,” Nike said and smiled at Tonia ignoring Julia’s question.

“I will like to see the look on his face when he finds out that I’m actually not crying my eyes out for him,” Tonia replied as she nodded.

“That’s my girl,” said Lola.

“You did broke up with him, but keep up the spirit,” said Julia, “As for me, I want the macho ones.”

“Useless girl,” the other girls said.

“Whatever,” replied Julia and she rolled her eyes. “No be Abuja we dey?”
They all laughed as she started cat walking round the room.

The friend’s teaching practice came and went and they went back to their school campus.
Tonia and Nike were standing in front of Nike’s room when Lola came over to join them.

“Hey girls, what’s up? Have you girls received any calls yet?” Lola asked as she walked over to meet the other girls.

“Not yet. I on my laptop till 11 last night and there was not even a hint of anything coming,” replied Nike, “I think they didn’t find us interesting.”

“I told you girls that it was just a façade,” said Tonia smiling, “But it was fun then anyway.”

“I was really looking forward to having new phone pals you know,” Lola said sadly, “Abuja guys are boring.”

“I was looking forward to that too actually. It would have been nice to make new friends,” replied Tonia, “Let out some steam.”

Nike shot her an appraising look and Tonia grinned, knowing that it would catch Nike off guard to hear her say such a thing. Tonia loved doing the unexpected. Tonia looked over Nike’s shoulder and saw Julia approaching, swaying her hips seductively as usual.

“I hope you will not break this hip,” Tonia said in a bid to taunt Julia.

“I have an unbreakable waist. Is there anything interesting? What’s new about the pen pal thing? I know I’m unlucky with things like that,” Julia replied and hugged the girls. This was her normal way of greeting.

"Hey there," the others greeted.

“I visited the website and no one took any notice of me," Julia complained as she dabbed her lips with a lip balm. They all filed into the house as the sun smiled wider.

“No one has received or heard anything yet,” Nike said as she poured herself some juice from the table by her side.

“No?” Julia could not believe her ears, “You mean not even miss spice who actually displayed her phone number.”

Instead of being insulted as was Julia’s intent, Tonia laughed heartily.

“I’ll say one thing for you Julia. You’ve got spirit and flavor but I wonder how that hasn’t helped you yet,” Tonia replied.

“True talk,” chipped in Lola as she pulled at Julia's sling-bag.

“Okay, it’s understandable,” Julia said and sat down on the only vacant chair and reached for the extra can of juice on the table, “To think that all my sexy, juicy details were overlooked. I should sue those people for this.”

Tonia’s phone began to ring at that same time.
“It’s probably Sam with his stories. Can you girls believe that he called me this morning to tell me to come over to Onitsha,” Tonia said, looking at the other girls who just looked on with disbelief.

“It’s a big lie. He wouldn’t dare such a thing. Let’s just hear what he has to say. I think you should use the speaker mode,” said Nike, adjusting her seat. Tonia nodded.

“Hello,” said Tonia into the mouthpiece.

“Hi,” a voice replied. Tonia looked at the girls, puzzled. The voice was not Sam’s voice.

“Who is this? Can I help you please?” asked Tonia, looking inquiringly at the other girls.

“I’m Tunde. I saw your profile and number on naijaconnect.com and decided to call you,” the voice said.

“What?” the ladies shouted. Nike motioned for them to be quiet and urged Tonia to keep the guy talking.

“Oh yes... Okay. How are you?” Tonia said.

“Are you alright? You sounded shocked or something. Don’t tell me that I am the first lucky guy to call you,” the guy said.

“Well, not really. So you are Tunde. Please can I have a little more of introduction,” Tonia said.

“I’m Tunde like I said. I am a civil engineer; I live and work in Canada. You are Tonia right?” he asked. The girls looked on as the guy talked about himself, oblivious that he was talking to a room full of girls with tricks up their sleeves.

Minutes later, the guy disconnected promising to call later, the girls cheered.

2 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 16, 2014
CHAPTER SEVEN

“Wow!! Does that look like a façade?” Nike asked.

“A civil engineer in Canada,” Julia said, “My dream man.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry. It was not your number that he called. So get over it,” Lola said jeeringly and collected Tonia’s phone, Tonia just stood staring.

“Don’t look so surprised,” Nike said and nudged Tonia.

“I am actually stunned,” Tonia replied smiling.

“God!! Text messages keep coming in. Why do they all have to wait till now? Please can I read them?” Lola asked Tonia, who nodded. It was some nice poems and Nike and Lola burst into laughter.

“That is beautiful. But there is no name,” Lola said.

“Let me send a reply,” Tonia said. She collected her phone and typed in some words. The person replied indicating that his name was Poetic man.

“What nonsense. He’s one of those small, unserious boys like on that nairaland you normally visit, Nike,” Julia commented, and tried to collect Tonia’s phone.

“He’s trying to be funny. I like that. At least, he brings out the humor in this,” Tonia said.

“There is fire on the mountain," said Nike smiling at Tonia.

“Go girl,” Lola interjected.

“Come on girls. It’ll be fun. Let me call him back… it seem like a UK number and he is rejecting my calls,” Tonia complained.

“I told you he is a joker,” said Julia with a frown.

“He sent a text message. He said I should not bother to call him. He doesn’t want me to burn my calling credit. Isn’t that sweet?” Tonia commented.

“The guy has an attitude,” said Julia.

“No, he does not. He’s just being considerate,” Tonia answered. Nike and Lola exchanged glances and smiled.

“She is defending him already. This will be interesting,” said Nike, slapping Tonia on the back.

“Don’t be on my case ooo. You told me to have a little fun and he sounds interesting,” Tonia replied and made a face, “Another text message.”

“I’ll call you but you will have to do most of the talking. I’m kind of a shy guy,” Lola read.

“He’s a coward,” Julia commented.

“Pack it in, Julia. What is your problem?” Nike said as sternly as she could amidst her smile.

“Not all guys are the talkative ones…. He’s already calling. Keep quiet,” Tonia said to the girls.

“He is not all that,” Julia said and Nike put her hand on her mouth.

“Hello there. Those were some beautiful texts,” Tonia said and made a face at the staring girls. The guy refused to say anything and all Tonia could hear was 'errrmm' 'errmmm' so Tonia disconnected.

“What happened?” Lola asked.

“He wasn’t talking,” replied Tonia.

“He told you he wasn’t going to say much, didn’t he?” Nike said. “What you did was rude.”
The phone started ringing again and Tonia refused to pick the call.

“He should be man enough to talk,” Julia replied and Nike frowned angrily at her.
Nike snatched the phone and said, “Hello.”

“Hi. I’m sorry I didn’t say anything the other time,” the man said. Nike gave Tonia the phone.

“It’s Okay,” Tonia replied.

“I’m sorry but I find this really awkward. I’m not good at this. So, you will have to do most of the talking,” replied the man, “I will give an honest reply if you have questions.”

“Okay. The SMS you sent were quite nice. What’s your name and what do you do? Are you a poet?” Julia rolled her eyes and put two fingers in her mouth, Lola smacked her arm.

“My name is Kunle. I presently live in London. My Mum is British but Dad is Nigerian. I work in a big firm that used to be owned by my dad but now mine.”

Nike howled and Lola covered her mouth, but Julia just sat rigid on her chair.

“Oh, that’s nice. I’m Tonia, I am still a student. I’m studying Economics at City College of education in Abuja. I am in my second year,” Tonia replied.

“That’s nice. I don’t know your reaction to this but mine is that I hardly have time to go chasing girls and I’m finally coming back to Nigeria next month,” Kunle said.

“Well I did it for the fun of it. Actually I took a bet with my friends as to who would get a call first. You just won me three thousand naira,” Tonia said and smiled at the girls. Nike and Lola were just controlling themselves not to burst into laughter.

“Congratulations then. How old are you if I may ask?” Kunle asked.

“I’m twenty one and you?”

“I’ll be twenty six next month,” Kunle said. The conversation went on and Kunle promised to call back later in the day. Nike gave Tonia a high five and Lola snickered at Julia who just waved her off. She got up and said she had to run and off she went before anyone could stop her.

Julia entered her room and swore. She paced the length of the room and swore over and over again. What is wrong with these people? Tonia? Why Tonia of all people? What does she even have? She is not as pretty as I am and not in any way sexy. Why would she then be the one that would get all the actions? Julia sat down finally and removed her shoes. Men can be crazy at times, she thought. Tonia did not write anything special so why should she be the one they would call, she said out loud. I love her but she can be a pain in the neck some times, Julia thought angrily.

She smiled and reprimanded herself for saying such things about her friend. Tonia was a wonderful and good friend to her. Julia shook her head and sighed deeper. It had been two years since she had a real relationship. It was not as if they didn’t ask her out but she had been too choosy and her criteria were too steep for guys her age.

Most guys didn’t want to stay with a girl like her. She wanted, in fact needed a regular boyfriend and she was ready to do all it takes. She wouldn't mind giving it all she could to make it work but where she would find such was the biggest question. She needed someone to be serious with but she wanted someone far away from school. Someone neutral and oblivious of her string of sugar daddies because she was not actually ready to give those ones up for any relationship she might have.

Julia closed her eyes and went to her bed to lie down. Her last boyfriend had caught her with one of her sugar daddies and it didn’t end well. She didn’t want any drama and neither did she want to live without the money the daddies provided her with. Just then her phone started to ring. Julia ignored the call but the caller was persistent so she picked up.

“Hello. This is the lovely Julia,” she said into her phone.

“Hello. I am Sean. I am calling from South Africa. I was asked to call you by my friend. What was all that you wrote about who you were?” the caller said.

“What?!” Julia said before she could stop herself. She had her own very first caller. This would be fun, she thought. She smiled deeply after a few seconds and returned her attention to the voice. The caller had cut off by then. This didn’t go down well with Julia.

To her, it was rude and uncalled for. She dropped her phone and picked up her ipad. What had she written that was that interesting. Julia knew she had gone a little overboard with her description but she didn’t actually think anyone would read it. She found her page and her mouth dropped open.

It was like she was looking at herself naked on the page. All she could read out was her physical attributes. No one wrote their physical appearances for the world to see, Julia was sure she would get a lot of perverts then. Her phone started to ring again. She sighed and picked up.

“Hello, this is the lovely Julia.”

“Hi there. I am Marvelous. I saw your number on…”

“Are you sure you want to call me? Which part did you like most? Did you like my boobs or ass?” Julia asked before the person could go further. She heard a shaky intake of breathe and what felt like a short smile. The person giggled and said they were actually lovely but he loved the eyes. Julia rolled her eyes but kept quiet.

“Are you there?” the person on the line said. Julia said yes and urged him to continue. He was a talker indeed. He didn’t even say anything out of line. They just chatted about fashion labels and poetry, two of Julia’s favorite topics. Maybe it was her lucky day after all. They had a decent thirty minutes conversation; Julia didn’t see any reason to be sarcastic about him even when he told her he was a student. She was carried away by him and she liked it.

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 16, 2014
Please, avoid reading and smirking. Be free to leave your comment and criticism and thoughts on the story and the writing itself. Thanks you.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 17, 2014
Babe, haven't finished reading but my initial comment is that you should consider getting someone to proof-read before you post. I'll be back later to finish it.

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by PrettySpicey(f): 2:07pm On Jul 17, 2014
Are these Canada and London guys for real?

And was that our Sean calling Julia of all people?

Hmm, observation mode activated.

Ride on shoefreak

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by soulminister(m): 3:06pm On Jul 17, 2014
the beginning of this story sounds like a part of the story am following on naijastories.com that is titled, "beautiful colours of sin"..........good so far.

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
It is actually. I'm the same person. @tai grin

Welcome! 'beautiful colors of sin' is a sequel to this one and both are working titles and I couldn't decide jare.

Is it out? Has it been scheduled? Lemme go check.

soulminister: the beginning of this story sounds like a part of the story am following on naijastories.com that is titled, "beautiful colours of sin"..........good so far.

naijababe: Babe, haven't finished reading but my initial comment is that you should consider getting someone o proof-read before you post. I'll be back later to finish it.
he was doing me sakara so I kicked him with words. grin

Thanks @prettyspicey
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by JeffreyJamez(m): 3:50pm On Jul 17, 2014
*Peeping from the window*

Interesting, veery interesting...

Make I dey look first.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Addicted To S*X / Extreme Encounter / Publiseer Is A Finalist At The 2018 Harvard Business School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.