Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? (1834 Views)

The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa / What Biz Can I Do With A Capital Of #100k Offline Biz Not Online Biz Pls / How To Make #700 Just 30mins Everday.not Online Pure Offline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 3:52am On Jul 15, 2014
Getting information online about businesses in Benin City is like looking for fish in a dry land. There are many free ways to take one's business online, but it appears the business owners are yet to get along with modern marketing trend. Pls Why are Benin City Business owners not online?

Twitter: @webclickNG
Facebook: @webclickNG

Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by AlienfromMars: 4:30am On Jul 15, 2014
The reason is cos they have nothing to offer to the world. They are cheats, greedy and prefer to eat their seeds now than to grow their seeds for the future. Its a pity.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by internetpo(m): 6:32am On Jul 15, 2014
Guess they dnt understand online biz yet.
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 8:34am On Jul 15, 2014
Actually we conducted a survey of 2000 businesses in Benin City recently and about 90% are not online. Majority of them are excited about the opportunity web presence and online presence offers but are not willing to spend a dime or learn how to integrate their business.
I had an experience in 2013. I wanted to do a company seal, so I went online to look for Business in Benin that do that. However, I only saw for Lagos. So I called the Lagos contact negotiate and send money to the account. The next week, I went to Lagos to collect the seal. One day later, I found out that someone offer the same service, a stone throw from where I leave. Funny enough, it cost N500 less. If only I have seen it online, I would have spent N2000 less.

What would you proffer as a solution?
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by Mendo007(m): 12:28pm On Jul 15, 2014
I am a Benin city based business man and I will like to say that most businesses in the south-south and Benin city in particular don't get online because of 2 basic reasons:
1, they don't see how putting their business online will translate to cash for them
2, they are scared of getting duped because when they hear internet, the first thing that comes to their mind in fraud and so they fear a lot even when they are at the receiving end they still feel it may some how play to their disadvantage.
but that is a very shallow mentality they have over here because I use the internet to promote my business online and has been of huge growth for me and I do not regret taking this path
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 1:50pm On Jul 15, 2014
Mendo007: I am a Benin city based business man and I will like to say that most businesses in the south-south and Benin city in particular don't get online because of 2 basic reasons:
1, they don't see how putting their business online will translate to cash for them
2, they are scared of getting duped because when they hear internet, the first thing that comes to their mind in fraud and so they fear a lot even when they are at the receiving end they still feel it may some how play to their disadvantage.
but that is a very shallow mentality they have over here because I use the internet to promote my business online and has been of huge growth for me and I do not regret taking this path
Thanks for sharing your experience. The points you raised are right on point. Lack of awareness and the fear of the unknown. I have been using the internet to promote my services since 2005. In fact I have received payment from different part of the world from Nigerians. Although some of those people then think they were taking a risk at first, but with time they were happy that they got what they want. Since then, I have enjoyed some referrals.
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by lcoral(f): 8:50pm On Jul 15, 2014
@ Alienfrommars; I think your words were too harsh and wrongly judged. The fact that majority of them aren't online does not mean they got nothing to offer. You won't like someone describing your people with the exact words u used bco am sure some of your friends here on NL are from Benin. #proudly Edo#

1 Like

Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by lcoral(f): 8:50pm On Jul 15, 2014
@ Alienfrommars; I think your words were too harsh and wrongly judged. The fact that majority of them aren't online does not mean they have got nothing to offer. You won't like someone describing your people with the exact words u used bco am sure some of your friends here on NL are from Benin. #proudly Edo#

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2014
lcoral: @ Alienfrommars; I think your words were too harsh and wrongly judged. The fact that majority of them aren't online does not mean they have got nothing to offer. You won't like someone describing your people with the exact words u used bco am sure some of your friends here on NL are from Benin. #proudly Edo#
Actually the irony of the matter is that there are big and great businesses in Benin City. In the course of our survey, I have been privilege to see some of these businesses. I can confidently say many of them can compete with similar businesses from other cities in Nigeria. But because those ones are online, they are far ahead. That is why you will see someone from Benin will go to Lagos to get an item at a higher cost because they don't know it is even available in Benin.
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by Rossikki: 10:22pm On Jul 15, 2014
Well, the situation there is a BIG opportunity for internet gurus who can find a way to get businesses there online by minimising the risk element for them, perhaps by allowing businesses there to defer payment for services pending the verifiable expansion of their businesses and customer base etc. Offering stuff like 90 day free trials etc.... If you can find a way to do it, you'll end up a multi-millionaire.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by lcoral(f): 8:28am On Jul 16, 2014
@ webclickNG. You re right. A large number of them hav poor internet/ ict knowledge compared to their counterparts in other big cities. This is good area for computer gurus like you to key into.
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 9:44am On Jul 16, 2014
Rossikki: Well, the situation there is a BIG opportunity for internet gurus who can find a way to get businesses there online by minimising the risk element for them, perhaps by allowing businesses there to defer payment for services pending the verifiable expansion of their businesses and customer base etc. Offering stuff like 90 day free trials etc.... If you can find a way to do it, you'll end up a multi-millionaire.
That is a thoughtful idea.
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 4:00pm On Jul 16, 2014
Any other thoughtful idea?
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 1:38pm On Jul 17, 2014
Coming soon! FREE Report: The Implementation of Internet Presence for Benin City Small and Medium Businesses
To be notified of the report, Follow me on:

http://facebook.com/webclickNG
http://twitter.com/webclickNG
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 9:10pm On Jul 18, 2014
My FREE Report: "The Implementation of Internet Presence for Benin City Small and Medium Businesses" is ready. To get a copy, visit the link below
[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqksher5mq9apbx/The%20Implementation%20of%20Internet%20Presence%20for%20Benin%20City%20SME.pdf[/url]
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 11:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
20% discounts on professional Joomla website is the main attraction of July month for Nigeria SMEs, because Webclick, one of the best Joomla web development company in Nigeria has launched fabulous 20% discount on all their web design and digital marketing services.

For detail visit: http://www.live-pr.com/en/discount-limited-time-offer-r1050417420.htm
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 7:19pm On Jul 22, 2014
I met a couple of business persons today. They said they don't want to go online because, the first time they did, it did not work. Though, I think that was a misplaced excuse. The fact that the first person did not bring the desire result does not mean the system does not work. You can simply change your service provider
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by remarkD(m): 7:24pm On Jul 22, 2014
is why some businesses don't survive the long-run & competition...
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 11:08am On Jul 23, 2014
remarkD: is why some businesses don't survive the long-run & competition...
Right on point
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by lcoral(f): 11:55am On Jul 31, 2014
We shall get to that point with time.
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by Afepeters(m): 12:44pm On Jul 31, 2014
You have hit the nail on the head.
lcoral: @ Alienfrommars; I think your words were too harsh and wrongly judged. The fact that majority of them aren't online does not mean they got nothing to offer. You won't like someone describing your people with the exact words u used bco am sure some of your friends here on NL are from Benin. #proudly Edo#
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 3:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
The solution is on the way. The first Edo State Online Information Portal and Business Directories Search Engine soon to be launched.
For pre-launch sponsorship, partnership, Ads placement and business listing, visit the demo site on: http://benin.assdin.org/index.php/get-listed2
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by genny2kuk(m): 3:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
WebclickNG: Getting information online about businesses in Benin City is like looking for fish in a dry land. There are many free ways to take one's business online, but it appears the business owners are yet to get along with modern marketing trend. Pls Why are Benin City Business owners not online?

Twitter: @webclickNG
Facebook: @webclickNG

You just raised a point, however I see it as a business opportunity.

Nothing stops you from creating an Online Business Directory for Benin business owners. If there are fears that some of the businesses might be fake, u offer a premium listing that authenticates the business and let visitors of the directory know their status.

You can thank me later.
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by newacca: 4:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
Same thing applies to Abeokuta. sad
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 4:25pm On Jul 31, 2014
genny2kuk:

You just raised a point, however I see it as a business opportunity.

Nothing stops you from creating an Online Business Directory for Benin business owners. If there are fears that some of the businesses might be fake, u offer a premium listing that authenticates the business and let visitors of the directory know their status.

You can thank me later.
Thanks for the tip
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 1:22pm On Aug 01, 2014
Why do Benin business owners not have a functional email
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by WebclickNG: 7:08pm On Aug 10, 2014
Whats is your take on this subject?
Re: Why Are Benin City Businesses Not Online? by KivosWebmasters: 7:49pm On Jul 03, 2016
Kivos Webmasters And ICT Solutions Nigeria is a Website Development and Maintenance Company based here in Nigeria, having head-office at No. 25, Sapele Road, adjacent to GT Bank, Opp. Edo State Secretariate Building, Benin City, Edo State. We are delighted to bring new innovations to this region of Nigeria. We provide website design and development services to our locality. Our price system is very customer friendly and we allow installment payments. We work hand-in-hand with our clients and ensure customer satisfaction in all our services which include Website Design, Web Programing, Website Hosting, Bulk SMS Services, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Mobile Website and Mobile Apps Development, Website Maintenance, Upgrade and Security, Website Academy and Web Consultancy Services. KIVOS WEBMASTERS is now into the Sales and Supplies of Computers and Computer Accessories, System Networking and Internet Installations, and System Engineering including repairs, maintenance and upgrade.
For more infomation, Contact Us
www.kivoswebmasters.com

(1) (Reply)

Own Manufacturing Plant Of Your Choice / Vtu Recharge Card,data, Subscription Biz Partner Needed Nationwide / 2018: Next Generation Of Billionaires In Africa Will Be Farmers- Akinwumi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.