Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! (3086 Views)

Mercedes Benz AMG 6x6 , The Best Thing On Wheels / The New Mercedes G63 AMG 6x6 / The New 6-wheel-drive Mercedes G63 AMG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by ivoryhouse(m): 7:24am On Jul 15, 2014
Up until now, the best chance you'd have to get to drive this monster 6x6 AMG would be to join the Australian army, which signed a contract with Daimler in 2008 to procure 2,100 of these unstoppable desert chasers. But now Mercedes has decided - rather brilliantly - to make a civilian version, ready to order by millionaires before the end of 2013.

From the original military blueprint, it keeps six driven wheels, an off-road low-range ratio in the transfer case, portal axles, five differential locks and a tyre-inflation control system that allows the pressure in the 37-inch tyres to be adjusted in record time, on the move.

But once you climb into the cabin, there's a much less utilitarian bent. Four heated and ventilated leather armchairs, a leather-finished dash with contrast stitching, carbon-fibre trim and Alcantara slathered on the roof headlining and pillars. Pure AMG opulence. And the weirdness doesn't end there. Once you've got over the sheer size of the 6x6, it's worth noting the gigantic carbon wheelarch extensions and a pickup load area featuring an exclusive bamboo lining. Normal, this thing is not.

Did we mention it was big? At 5.85m long and 2.3m tall, it's positively huge. And fast. With the G63's 540bhp, 5.5-litre bi-turbo V8, the G63 AMG 6x6 can hit 62mph in seven seconds. And it does so with no hesitation, the 561lb ft being split in 30/40/30 (front, mid and rear axles) with the help of the familiar 7spd dual-clutch 'box. It just stomps its power to the road. Or whatever surface you happen to be on.

Ok, so the strangest product AMG has ever engineered was likely never supposed to corner like a sports car, but its relative agility is mind-blowing, especially considering that, at 3.85 tonnes, it's a VW Golf heavier than the already mighty G63 AMG.

More than that, it just will not be stopped. By anything. It has axle articulation that would make a Land Rover wince, manages 460mm of ground clearance and has a diving - sorry, fording - depth of a solid metre, 40cm more than the bodystyle it has been derived from. You can take it as read that absolute traction is never an issue, and even if you do begin to slip, you just drop the tyre pressures - independently for each axle, I might add - via switches mounted on the overhead console.

It's the best big boy's toy ever invented. Not a cheap one, though, at something over €300,000. But be honest, can you think of a better way to get your off-road kicks?

THE NUMBERS
5461cc, V8, 6WD, 540bhp, 561lb ft, 13.4mpg, 0-62mph in 7.0secs, 100mph, 3850kg

Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 15, 2014
Did you see the Top gear review? The most fantastic thing on 6 wheels.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by ivoryhouse(m): 8:00pm On Jul 15, 2014
cne010: Did you see the Top gear review? The most fantastic thing on 6 wheels.
Yes, I even saw the video and its just amazing
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by billy187(m): 8:15pm On Jul 15, 2014
Shut up and take my money already!!
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2014
When the 6 X 6 descended the steep slope was where it gained my love.
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by Glock9(m): 9:59pm On Aug 26, 2014
That's a badass vehicle. Its filling the gap left by Hummer especially the H1.
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by Ahuitzotl: 2:07pm On Aug 27, 2014
7secs?! come on my 250 horses of clean japanese muscle Pilot makes better time....
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by Homguy(m): 3:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ahuitzotl: 7secs?! come on my 250 horses of clean japanese muscle Pilot makes better time....
Its by a long mile heavier than your Japanese muscle pilot, so factor that in. Its a fast ride for its weight and size.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ahuitzotl: 7secs?! come on my 250 horses of clean japanese muscle Pilot makes better time....

Okay, now you're done typing out of the abundance of your ignorance, run along!
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by Ahuitzotl: 6:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
Homguy: Its by a long mile heavier than your Japanese muscle pilot, so factor that in. Its a fast ride for its weight and size.
Then its dead weight pretty much defeats the entire purpose of a fast ride if its built for tank warfare?,innit?.Heavier armoured SuVs example Conquest knight are pretty much quicker and luxurious yet start under 300,000$ price range.This is a total rip-off....no offence
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by billy187(m): 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ahuitzotl: Then its dead weight pretty much defeats the entire purpose of a fast ride if its built for tank warfare?,innit?.Heavier armoured SuVs example Conquest knight are pretty much quicker and luxurious yet start under 300,000$ price range.This is a total rip-off....no offence
I dont think the civilian 6*6 was designed for warfare...its kinda for transversing terrible terrain in comfort and ease--and intimidating your neigbours!(*wink!)

On road you might beat it in a Pilot....however, take the race offroad and the 6*6 will be loong gone before (or if) your car finds traction. That notwithstanding ,7secs is worringly fast for a vehicle if that size on or off road! You gotta see the top gear review understand this beast!!

p.s.: Last time I checked the Conquest Knight was 400000 (or$625000?)
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by Ahuitzotl: 9:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
billy187: I dont think the civilian 6*6 was designed for warfare...its kinda for transversing terrible terrain in comfort and ease--and intimidating your neigbours!(*wink!)

On road you might beat it in a Pilot....however, take the race offroad and the 6*6 will be loong gone before (or if) your car finds traction. That notwithstanding ,7secs is worringly fast for a vehicle if that size on or off road! You gotta see the top gear review understand this beast!!

p.s.: Last time I checked the Conquest Knight was 400000 (or$625000?)
When i buy a high end vehicle,it is expected to be relatively quick,less complicated and luxurious,more like getting a bang for my buck.Now,we don't see any high target customer living in an Afghan cave as to regular drives through rugged terrain to work therefore most customers might not be getting their real value for money when their juggernaut can be beaten on smooth asphalt by my Honda from nought to 60km/h......And we don't for the love of God understand how Mercedes could fit in a V8 engine to the monstrosity.Cost-cutting? No we are looking at a rip-off,right here.
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by ivoryhouse(m): 10:53pm On Aug 29, 2014
Which pilot, the one that flies... seriously, your honda pilot will only see the dust off this beast, over 500 horse power and you will even compare a mere 250 horse power honda pilot? Sacrilege!
We forgive you, thats the price of ignorance.
Lol! (I get the feeling I'm in trouble)
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by yungboss(m): 11:20pm On Aug 29, 2014
Ahuitzotl: When i buy a high end vehicle,it is expected to be relatively quick,less complicated and luxurious,more like getting a bang for my buck.Now,we don't see any high target customer living in an Afghan cave as to regular drives through rugged terrain to work therefore most customers might not be getting their real value for money when their juggernaut can be beaten on smooth asphalt by my Honda from nought to 60km/h......And we don't for the love of God understand how Mercedes could fit in a V8 engine to the monstrosity.Cost-cutting? No we are looking at a rip-off,right here.
biturbo v8 it is bro, besides your analysis is very parochial, lean in the lightest sense of the word. This vehicle would possibly tow a 10-link chain of Honda pilot...possibly tow a military tank...without insult,your pilot is useless compared to this car...you say 7sec to 62mph from nought is slow,(that means it would possibly do 6.5sec to 60mph) for this size of a vehicle...? I doubt your pilot would achieve that.
besides does it look like a truck built for straight line acceleration,NO! If you want that,then run beside an ml63 amg... My brother,speed is not everything that makes up a good vehicle,other factors like safety matter alot.
this car would do everything a Honda pilot would do,and can do everything the Pilot cannot do

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by auhanson(m): 10:44pm On Aug 30, 2014
yungboss:
biturbo v8 it is bro, besides your analysis is very parochial, lean in the lightest sense of the word. This vehicle would possibly tow a 10-link chain of Honda pilot...possibly tow a military tank...without insult,your pilot is useless compared to this car...you say 7sec to 62mph from nought is slow,(that means it would possibly do 6.5sec to 60mph) for this size of a vehicle...? I doubt your pilot would achieve that.
besides does it look like a truck built for straight line acceleration,NO! If you want that,then run beside an ml63 amg... My brother,speed is not everything that makes up a good vehicle, so many other factors like safety matter alot.
this car would do everything a Honda pilot would do,and can do everything the Pilot cannot do

Nice description.. needless to say anything more..i rest my points
Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by yungboss(m): 4:03am On Aug 31, 2014
Ahuitzotl: When i buy a high end vehicle,it is expected to be relatively quick,less complicated and luxurious,more like getting a bang for my buck.Now,we don't see any high target customer living in an Afghan cave as to regular drives through rugged terrain to work therefore most customers might not be getting their real value for money when their juggernaut can be beaten on smooth asphalt by my Honda from nought to 60km/h......And we don't for the love of God understand how Mercedes could fit in a V8 engine to the monstrosity.Cost-cutting? No we are looking at a rip-off,right here.

Re: Mercedes Benz G63 Amg 6x6! by yungboss(m): 4:04am On Aug 31, 2014
Another

(1) (Reply)

Best Small Car Ever! - This Car Is Immortal! Most Durable, The Most Roughed! / Toyota Matrix 2005 Vs Toyota Corolla 2006 - Advice Please / Dashboard Lights Malfunction On 2006 Honda Pilot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.