Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,359 members, 7,812,015 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal (2112 Views)

Provide Pre-paid Meters To Nigerians Now, FG Orders Discos / 20 Things Nigerians May Experience In 2016 Under Buhari’s Govt, By Fayose / Dutch Driving Instructors Can Now Accept SEX As Payment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Omooba77: 6:45am On Jul 16, 2014
Here are ten things I have identified as top abnormalities Nigerians now just surrender to or even accept as normal. As a matter of fact, they are essentially Nigerian in outlook and any attempt to change them might even affect our corporate image. They are as Nigerian as the green-white-green flag. Yet, there is nothing “normal” about them and a good, conscientious leadership can change them.
1.    Electricity: Gradually, Nigerians now have accepted that it is normal not to have or expect electricity. So when the Power Ministry under Professor Chinedu Nebo, recently announced a drop of 2000 megawatts from the existing 4000 megawatts, no Nigerian even commented. Also, when the power authorities speak of strikes, everyone looks away, uncaring.That is the new way. In my nick of the wood in Abuja, we even have a time table for light. There are off days as every part has its own “light day”. You plan your schedules in strict adherence to this time table. The other day, we had two days of uninterrupted power supply. My law-abiding neighbours became worried and collectively went to report the “anomaly” to NEPA (Nigerians still calls it that in spite of all the name change).

2.     Bad Roads: What you do about bad roads is not to complain. The skill you must get is how to navigate the craters and gutters in a way to save your tyres the ordeal. Since one big man spent a whopping 300 billion naira on roads without any visible change, Nigerians have resigned to fate, accepting their lot on the road of life (no pun intended).

3.    Electoral rigging: That elections are going to be rigged is not the issue. You knew it was going to happen as sure as the sun sets in the East. What you don’t know is the latest methods. Rigging are now even transparent, free and fair. You knew the poll was rigged but exactly how, you haven’t the faintest idea. At the end, you accept the result as the people’s wish. May be the new system is to allow the people do the rigging themselves. Self-reliant rigging!

4.     Corruption: Poor EFCC! They now pick every soft target they can find; quickly post their photos on the internet- just to keep the façade of waging a war against corruption. And they indeed are waging a war against petty thieves, leaving out the shot-callers and the well connected rogues who even run the anti-graft agencies.Yes, folks. The monster is waxing strong and many now only appease it with platitudes. This is the one that may never go away because it has become a duly registered conglomerate in its own right. What you do is try to see how much of it doesn’t affect you but it is everywhere you turn. Deal with it.

5.     Killer Convoys: You already know about that. What you don’t know is the madness of it all and why the big men choose to risk their lives and that of others in this manner. First, the convoys are a way of saying “look, we are different from you”. Then, it is the ultimate sign that you had arrived.I know a certain speaker (House of Assembly) who upon getting sworn in, called his aides aside and said “Please, ensure the sirens are the loudest in this state”. He wasn’t satisfied even with his aides’ reassurances. One day, he actually “supervised” the compliance by lowering his window to listen to the sweet sound of power. Only in Nigeria!

6.     Lack of cash: Welcome to the era of cashlessness. I laughed when I first heard of the CBN inspired cashless policy. If you asked me, Nigerians did not even notice the fact that the policy officially took off on July 1, 2014. Why? Nigerians have been living without cash since the start of the current dispensation. The skills we have learnt as a people is how to have enough cash to keep you alive till the next money enters your hand.How more cashless can an already listless, struggling people get? By the way, a certain supermarket I went the other day pretending to be operating the cashless stuff had difficulty with the machine. The batteries ran down and there was no light to power the damn device. The hapless customer just gave cash – good old cash – and left.

7.     Violence: The other day, Miss Malala came to town. A foreign news medium said she was risking her life by coming to Nigeria as if it was here she was first shot at.  But that is new reality! Our country is now in the same category as Somalia, Syria and the other demonised nations of the world.With thousands getting killed each week, Nigerians are now insensitive. An editor told me the other day that he was tired of all the stories of killings and abduction going on in Borno State. And he wasn’t being callous. He was merely accepting the new norm – the fact that a bomb blast now sounds like the knockouts we like throwing around at xmas when we were innocent.

8.     Defection: Politicians now move around the political parties like some girls looking for where to shop for the latest Brazillian hair. There was a time when to defect from a party was the ultimate decision by a politician. It would make headlines. But now, you just yawn when you hear of it.

9.     Strikes: Strikes have become a comedy out here. In some climes, strikes are the biggest of crisis. But now, unions just get together to have fun – threatening and then backtracking! Industrial actions don’t have any value anymore. They are actions without a corresponding action from the authority that has learnt that after a while, the strikers would get tired and seek any kind of settlement.Let’s strike out the strikes, please!

10.    Skewed court judgments: No one even expect justice from the courts anymore. You only went there because you were either dragged there against your wish or that you went because you didn’t know where else to turn to.  At the end, you are disappointed by the quality of justice dispensed, even if it was in your favour.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/10-top-things-nigerians-now-accept-as-normal/183708/

6 Likes

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by eluquenson(m): 6:47am On Jul 16, 2014
Its absolutely a way of life in Nigeria.
Constant electricity supply is unusual & always celebrated like Xmas.
Corruption is a course of study with 4.0GP....no carry over. To mention but few, things has deteriorated in this country. Am totally ashamed of being a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 16, 2014
Very untidy writeup! Can't strain my eyes undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Smartsyn(m): 6:56am On Jul 16, 2014
op, in writing article, there is what is called paragraphing and proper spacing. It makes reading simple.

It won't be a bad idea if you use it on your post please.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Kuyorodele: 7:01am On Jul 16, 2014
http://payloge.com/?ref=1381. An easy way of making real fast cash online without stress.
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by ITbomb(m): 7:07am On Jul 16, 2014
OP, tidy up the write up, so that we can push it up to front page.

Quite interesting if you have the eyes to read
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Omooba77: 7:11am On Jul 16, 2014
ITbomb: OP, tidy up the write up, so that we can push it up to front page.

Quite interesting if you have the eyes to read
I guess is ok now..........blessed morning............
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Tallesty1(m): 7:17am On Jul 16, 2014
Smartsyn: op, in writing article, there is what is called paragraphing and proper spacing. It makes reading simple.

It won't be a bad idea if you use it on your post please.
He can't use it because his keypad has asthma.
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by dridowu: 7:18am On Jul 16, 2014
The most common is power outage, defection and corruption. So as far that we are still living in Nigeria all this abnormal is normal. Even the Presi of our dear con3 can attest to it all.
Jah Bless
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Tallesty1(m): 7:21am On Jul 16, 2014
Smh
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 16, 2014
Sadly, nothing here included is a lie. And what makes it even more annoying is the fact that nothing here is positively good - Corruption, Violence and Strike' are all considered to be a norm.

What a disgrace!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Smartsyn(m): 7:21am On Jul 16, 2014
Tallesty1: He can't use it because his keypad has asthma.
Dr Tallesty1, You rightly diagnosed his problem, he'll need an inhaler then...
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by kgbd(m): 7:23am On Jul 16, 2014
What you cannot confront you cannot change. We've all been silent about the abnormalities thereby giving it the strenght and encouragement needed for it obvious sustained growth maintained through all sectors of our economy....... There may be times when we are unable to stop them, but there never should be a time we don't protest.....

2 Likes

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 16, 2014
Omooba77:
I guess is ok now..........blessed morning............
Op can bold the main points for each points before the body and also he can give a 1 line space between each point.
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Omexonomy: 7:26am On Jul 16, 2014
To me their is nothing wrong with all these. That was what made it a country call nigeria and their is no other country call nigeria.
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by kgbd(m): 7:26am On Jul 16, 2014
Ceasar1: Sadly, nothing here included is a lie. And what makes it even more annoying is the fact that nothing here is positively good - Corruption, Violence and Strike' are all considered to be a norm.

What a disgrace!
there is even a level of stealing that is now not qualified to be called corruption.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by kgbd(m): 7:30am On Jul 16, 2014
Omexonomy: To me their is nothing wrong with all these. That was what made it a country call nigeria and their is no other country call nigeria.
you should be the 11th number on the list.

1 Like

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by eleojo23: 7:39am On Jul 16, 2014
True
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Akshow: 7:39am On Jul 16, 2014
The defection rubbish is d most outrageous. Have u heard of democrats decamping to republican or vice versa on a daily basis as our shameless thiefing polithiefcians do? Smh for this country.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by koboko69: 7:40am On Jul 16, 2014
The title should be 10 top things Pro PDP now accept as a way of life.

1 Like

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by coldsummer: 8:14am On Jul 16, 2014
This is sad yet soo true.

The cashless policy thing got me ROTFL
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Sijo01(f): 8:19am On Jul 16, 2014
Bitter truth.
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 16, 2014
Assassinations should be on the list too.
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Omexonomy: 8:50am On Jul 16, 2014
kgbd: you should be the 11th number on the list.
the op made a mistake you should have been 3rd on the list
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Omooba77: 8:51am On Jul 16, 2014
lomomike: Op can bold the main points for each points before the body and also he can give a 1 line space between each point.
I guess is ok now.......
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by ugoboss26(m): 9:01am On Jul 16, 2014
Killer convoys and party defections are more common in my state, I just sigh anytime I see such.
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by angela98(f): 11:20am On Jul 16, 2014
Giving bribes to achieve anything. Doing oluwole tinz to achieve something. Unhealthy competitions amongst Nigerians cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by donodion(m): 11:36am On Jul 16, 2014
Omooba77: Here are ten things I have identified as top abnormalities Nigerians now just surrender to or even accept as normal. As a matter of fact, they are essentially Nigerian in outlook and any attempt to change them might even affect our corporate image. They are as Nigerian as the green-white-green flag. Yet, there is nothing “normal” about them and a good, conscientious leadership can change them.
1.    Electricity: Gradually, Nigerians now have accepted that it is normal not to have or expect electricity. So when the Power Ministry under Professor Chinedu Nebo, recently announced a drop of 2000 megawatts from the existing 4000 megawatts, no Nigerian even commented. Also, when the power authorities speak of strikes, everyone looks away, uncaring.That is the new way. In my nick of the wood in Abuja, we even have a time table for light. There are off days as every part has its own “light day”. You plan your schedules in strict adherence to this time table. The other day, we had two days of uninterrupted power supply. My law-abiding neighbours became worried and collectively went to report the “anomaly” to NEPA (Nigerians still calls it that in spite of all the name change).

2.     Bad Roads: What you do about bad roads is not to complain. The skill you must get is how to navigate the craters and gutters in a way to save your tyres the ordeal. Since one big man spent a whopping 300 billion naira on roads without any visible change, Nigerians have resigned to fate, accepting their lot on the road of life (no pun intended).

3.    Electoral rigging: That elections are going to be rigged is not the issue. You knew it was going to happen as sure as the sun sets in the East. What you don’t know is the latest methods. Rigging are now even transparent, free and fair. You knew the poll was rigged but exactly how, you haven’t the faintest idea. At the end, you accept the result as the people’s wish. May be the new system is to allow the people do the rigging themselves. Self-reliant rigging!

4.     Corruption: Poor EFCC! They now pick every soft target they can find; quickly post their photos on the internet- just to keep the façade of waging a war against corruption. And they indeed are waging a war against petty thieves, leaving out the shot-callers and the well connected rogues who even run the anti-graft agencies.Yes, folks. The monster is waxing strong and many now only appease it with platitudes. This is the one that may never go away because it has become a duly registered conglomerate in its own right. What you do is try to see how much of it doesn’t affect you but it is everywhere you turn. Deal with it.

5.     Killer Convoys: You already know about that. What you don’t know is the madness of it all and why the big men choose to risk their lives and that of others in this manner. First, the convoys are a way of saying “look, we are different from you”. Then, it is the ultimate sign that you had arrived.I know a certain speaker (House of Assembly) who upon getting sworn in, called his aides aside and said “Please, ensure the sirens are the loudest in this state”. He wasn’t satisfied even with his aides’ reassurances. One day, he actually “supervised” the compliance by lowering his window to listen to the sweet sound of power. Only in Nigeria!

6.     Lack of cash: Welcome to the era of cashlessness. I laughed when I first heard of the CBN inspired cashless policy. If you asked me, Nigerians did not even notice the fact that the policy officially took off on July 1, 2014. Why? Nigerians have been living without cash since the start of the current dispensation. The skills we have learnt as a people is how to have enough cash to keep you alive till the next money enters your hand.How more cashless can an already listless, struggling people get? By the way, a certain supermarket I went the other day pretending to be operating the cashless stuff had difficulty with the machine. The batteries ran down and there was no light to power the damn device. The hapless customer just gave cash – good old cash – and left.

7.     Violence: The other day, Miss Malala came to town. A foreign news medium said she was risking her life by coming to Nigeria as if it was here she was first shot at.  But that is new reality! Our country is now in the same category as Somalia, Syria and the other demonised nations of the world.With thousands getting killed each week, Nigerians are now insensitive. An editor told me the other day that he was tired of all the stories of killings and abduction going on in Borno State. And he wasn’t being callous. He was merely accepting the new norm – the fact that a bomb blast now sounds like the knockouts we like throwing around at xmas when we were innocent.

8.     Defection: Politicians now move around the political parties like some girls looking for where to shop for the latest Brazillian hair. There was a time when to defect from a party was the ultimate decision by a politician. It would make headlines. But now, you just yawn when you hear of it.

9.     Strikes: Strikes have become a comedy out here. In some climes, strikes are the biggest of crisis. But now, unions just get together to have fun – threatening and then backtracking! Industrial actions don’t have any value anymore. They are actions without a corresponding action from the authority that has learnt that after a while, the strikers would get tired and seek any kind of settlement.Let’s strike out the strikes, please!

10.    Skewed court judgments: No one even expect justice from the courts anymore. You only went there because you were either dragged there against your wish or that you went because you didn’t know where else to turn to.  At the end, you are disappointed by the quality of justice dispensed, even if it was in your favour.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/10-top-things-nigerians-now-accept-as-normal/183708/
Op..thanks for bringing this to nairaland
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by phayvoursky(m): 11:47am On Jul 16, 2014
What can we (the masses) do?

Just live your life and forget about their problems.

When you get to the top try working out things; if some power centres ain't cool with that; chop the money too.
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by youngmonie: 11:52am On Jul 16, 2014
Their lord and saviour, the best thing that happened to nigeria GEJ is adressing all of the "Sigh"
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Omooba77: 2:29pm On Jul 16, 2014
God will change Naija for good sah
Re: 10 Top Things Nigerians Now Accept As Normal by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2014
Worry less...think of what you can do to help your country

(1) (2) (Reply)

Imminent Collapse Of Civil Rule In Nigeria By Femi Falana / How To Know Your PVC Pickup Location / The Excessive Of Igbo In Lagos Provoked The Eleko Oba Rilwan Osuolale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.