Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,799 members, 7,844,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say (1927 Views)

Can Any Opposition Governor Say This About Pmb? / Ex-Adamawa Governor, Murtala Nyako's Son Wanted By EFCC / Oil Producing States Have Cornered The Nation's Wealth- Yobe Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by idumuose(m): 8:03pm On Jul 16, 2014
Mr. Ngilari rather than address his resignation letter to the governor, addressed it to the Speaker of the Assembly.

The controversy surrounding the resignation of Bala Ngilari as the Adamawa State Deputy Governor continued on Wednesday with the principal character stating that he was cornered into resigning the way he did.

Mr. Ngilari’s resignation was read on the floor of the Adamawa Assembly on Tuesday and accepted by the lawmakers few minutes before the then state governor, Murtala Nyako, was impeached. His resignation has been questioned by Mr. Nyako and other lawyers who argue that since the then governor was still in office then, Mr. Ngilari should have submitted his resignation letter to Mr. Nyako.

On Wednesday, Mr. Ngilari said he was aware of the constitutional provision but was boxed to a corner by the lawmakers.

“The truth is that I have not sent any letter of resignation to the governor up till now,” Mr. Ngilari told journalists on phone late on Tuesday. “The representatives of the House only came to my house yesterday (Monday) asking me to tender my resignation and address the letter to the Speaker of the House which I did”.

He added that “When the lawmakers led by the deputy speaker met and asked me to write the resignation, I wrote it to the governor. But they asked me to change it and address it to the speaker”.

He said he simply acceded to the request of the lawmakers to send his resignation letter to the then Speaker of the Adamawa State Assembly, Umaru Fintiri, who has since been sworn in as acting governor.

Mr. Nyako had on Tuesday called for the reinstatement of his deputy, which would have seen the latter being sworn in as the governor of the state.

Mr. Nyako, who spoke through his spokesperson, in a statement cited Section 306 (5) of the Nigeria constitution, which requires the deputy to send his resignation letter to the sitting Governor.

Mr. Nyako said since he was then still the sitting governor, the resignation letter should have been addressed to him.

“No such was written to him, none was received by him and none was approved by him. It should, therefore, be known that in the eyes of the law, the deputy governor has not resigned. Barrister Bala James Ngillari is still the Deputy Governor of Adamawa state,” Ahmad Sajoh, Director, Press and Public Affairs, Governor’s Office, said in the Tuesday statement.

“This clarification is necessary to avert another subversion of the constitution, since the order processes relating to the impeachment saga have all been in contravention of the constitution and the law. We wish to observe that the continued abuse of the constitution and the law of the land will spell doom for our democracy,” he added.

http://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/165063-i-was-cornered-into-resigning-ex-adamawa-deputy-governor-says.html
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by PointB: 8:08pm On Jul 16, 2014
Knowing Nigeria very well, I expect this matter to drag in the court until the expiration of their tenure. No easy way out...

2 Likes

Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by Firefire(m): 8:12pm On Jul 16, 2014
Nigeria introducing new logic to democracy since 1999 (Tinubu vs Akerele vs Pedro) grin
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by Decibel: 8:19pm On Jul 16, 2014
Abokis and their penchance for lies. angry
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by idumuose(m): 8:44pm On Jul 16, 2014
He was cornered into resigning ba! So you realised you were conned by the house members?this is hilarious.
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:51pm On Jul 16, 2014
Decibel: Abokis and their penchance for lies. angry
we realised ur lack of intelligence, but you may do well by concealing it in a public forum as this...

2 Likes

Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:52pm On Jul 16, 2014
idumuose: He was cornered into resigning ba! So you realised you were conned by the house members?this is hilarious.
actually mate, since u wanna prove so smart, I biliv u shld av realised that the writer intended writing 'coerced' and not 'concerned'
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by NwaNimo1(m): 9:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
idumuose: Mr. Ngilari rather than address his resignation letter to the governor, addressed it to the Speaker of the Assembly.

The controversy surrounding the resignation of Bala Ngilari as the Adamawa State Deputy Governor continued on Wednesday with the principal character stating that he was cornered into resigning the way he did.

Mr. Ngilari’s resignation was read on the floor of the Adamawa Assembly on Tuesday and accepted by the lawmakers few minutes before the then state governor, Murtala Nyako, was impeached. His resignation has been questioned by Mr. Nyako and other lawyers who argue that since the then governor was still in office then, Mr. Ngilari should have submitted his resignation letter to Mr. Nyako.

On Wednesday, Mr. Ngilari said he was aware of the constitutional provision but was boxed to a corner by the lawmakers.

“The truth is that I have not sent any letter of resignation to the governor up till now,” Mr. Ngilari told journalists on phone late on Tuesday. “The representatives of the House only came to my house yesterday (Monday) asking me to tender my resignation and address the letter to the Speaker of the House which I did”.

He added that “When the lawmakers led by the deputy speaker met and asked me to write the resignation, I wrote it to the governor. But they asked me to change it and address it to the speaker”.

He said he simply acceded to the request of the lawmakers to send his resignation letter to the then Speaker of the Adamawa State Assembly, Umaru Fintiri, who has since been sworn in as acting governor.

Mr. Nyako had on Tuesday called for the reinstatement of his deputy, which would have seen the latter being sworn in as the governor of the state.

Mr. Nyako, who spoke through his spokesperson, in a statement cited Section 306 (5) of the Nigeria constitution, which requires the deputy to send his resignation letter to the sitting Governor.

Mr. Nyako said since he was then still the sitting governor, the resignation letter should have been addressed to him.

“No such was written to him, none was received by him and none was approved by him. It should, therefore, be known that in the eyes of the law, the deputy governor has not resigned. Barrister Bala James Ngillari is still the Deputy Governor of Adamawa state,” Ahmad Sajoh, Director, Press and Public Affairs, Governor’s Office, said in the Tuesday statement.

“This clarification is necessary to avert another subversion of the constitution, since the order processes relating to the impeachment saga have all been in contravention of the constitution and the law. We wish to observe that the continued abuse of the constitution and the law of the land will spell doom for our democracy,” he added.

http://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/165063-i-was-cornered-into-resigning-ex-adamawa-deputy-governor-says.html

Silly man - On a chess board there are various pieces including the one they call a 'pawn'.

Your were always a 'pawn' and you've been check mated in the game called 'Poli-tricks'.

(You won't get any sympathy from me)

5 Likes

Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 16, 2014
New version of politics,made in Adamawa,Nigeria.
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by Isiterere(m): 10:57pm On Jul 16, 2014
the whole process is unconstitutional .

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by savvysabina: 11:57pm On Jul 16, 2014
Nigerian politics...there is always more to it than meets the eyes...they are all masters of the game. www.madamsabi. for an encouraging quote and story.
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by Omexonomy: 2:29am On Jul 17, 2014
Nigerian politics. I hope other nations e.g usa uk france et al are learning from this development.
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by Decibel: 5:12am On Jul 17, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: we realised ur lack of intelligence, but you may do well by concealing it in a public forum as this...
We? You are not serious. When you are serious let me know.
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by Decibel: 5:16am On Jul 17, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: actually mate, since u wanna prove so smart, I biliv u shld av realised that the writer intended writing 'coerced' and not 'concerned'
Stop embarrassing yourself. Are you the writer?

2 Likes

Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by Decibel: 5:16am On Jul 17, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: actually mate, since u wanna prove so smart, I biliv u shld av realised that the writer intended writing 'coerced' and not 'concerned'
Stop embarrassing yourself. Are you the writer?
Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by otokx(m): 5:17am On Jul 17, 2014
The guy was desperate and greedy.

1 Like

Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by Koolmexxi(m): 7:10am On Jul 17, 2014
Well if he wasn't part of d whole impeachment drama, he'll have known if his Oga is still his Oga or not. He obviously got played by d house members only cos he expected to gain from d whole ploy... D guy's a slowpoke

1 Like

Re: I Was Cornered Into Resigning, Ex-adamawa Deputy Governor Say by jdilight(m): 10:21am On Jul 17, 2014
NwaNimo1:

Silly man - On a chess board there are various pieces including the one they call a 'pawn'.

Your were always a 'pawn' and you've been check mated in the game called 'Poli-tricks'.

(You won't get any sympathy from me)

On the contrary, this man is playing the queen now. He may become the next governor. The speaker was quick to overlook such a tactical move.

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Crisis Hits PDP As Governors Moves Against Muazu / #Buharigate:Hausa Language Was Not Offered In 1961 Exams–University of Cambridge / President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan's Achievement Till Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.