Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,258 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram (1147 Views)

Where Is Gwoza Sef?” Jonathan Asks At Meeting With Emir / Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals / Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by Philtrik(m): 9:30pm On Jul 16, 2014
President Goodluck Jonathan asks for $1,000,000,000 for Army equipment and modernization.

President Goodluck Jonathan
Jonathan has asked the House of Representatives to grant approval to his government to borrow an external loan of $1bn, approximately equal N165bn. The president’s inquiry became known during the House’s plenary in Abuja on Wednesday, July 16. The money is said to be used to upgrade the equipment of the Armed Forces.

In his letter entitled Tackling Ongoing Security Challenges for Urgent Action and addressed to the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, President Jonathan wrote:
“You are no doubt cognizant of the ongoing serious security challenges, which the nation is facing as typified by the Boko Haram terrorists threat. This is an issue that we have discussed at various times.

I would like to bring to your attention the urgent need to upgrade the equipment, training and logistics of our Armed Forces and security services to enable them be more forceful to confront this serious threat.
For this reason, I seek the concurrence of the National Assembly for external borrowing of not more than $1 billion, including government to government arrangements for this upgrade.”

Nairalanders whats your say?

Source: http://www.naij.com/69794.html
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by deywarley(m): 9:51pm On Jul 16, 2014
Dear gej, what happened to the almost 1trillion naira budgeted for fighting insurgency in the 2014 budget that we now need to borrow a billion dollars again? I pray the national assembly will do the right thing by blocking the move. Money is not the problem we are having rather it's the will to tackle this evil from the bottom by first prosecuting the sponsors of these barbaric group leading seige on our beloveth country. God bless Nigeria. #GEJOUT

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by Segadem(m): 10:16pm On Jul 16, 2014
one billion dollar? diaries God o oh!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by Ohjerry: 11:04pm On Jul 16, 2014
Segadem: one billion dollar? diaries God o oh!

grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:05pm On Jul 16, 2014
Election money abi. They blew 1 Trillion naira on security and nothing to show for it.

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by FindOut(m): 3:44am On Jul 17, 2014
RICHIEBOI1: Election money abi. They blew 1 Trillion naira on security and nothing to show for it.

I wonder! The Senators should be jailed if they don't ask him to account for it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show! No account. I'd like to think that even in very rich countries, you should be able to show everyone what you did with almost 8 BILLION DOLLARS.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by chamboy(m): 6:24am On Jul 17, 2014
Waiting for someone to come here and say na Apc chop d former 1t

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by akenuka(m): 7:06am On Jul 17, 2014
Someone should tell me that one trillion has finished.
The day corruption was given free way in Nigeria was the day it was agreed that security vote should not be accounted for.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by abacus(m): 7:50am On Jul 17, 2014
This is what you get when you elect and support coward 'oponu ole' as your handler.

Even if that $1b gets approved, he will use for door to door and nairaland campaign.

Only God can save us.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by reedonne: 8:25am On Jul 17, 2014
akenuka: Someone should tell me that one trillion has finished.
The day corruption was given free way in Nigeria was the day it was agreed that security vote should not be accounted for.
1tr for security budget not defense budget. Security budget include defense,police,NSA and minitry of interior which comprise of agencies like custom,NIS, etc.
Nigeria military budget is $2.6b or 0.5% of gdp making it one of the smallest in the world. If we are to spend what other country in our rank are spending, we should be spending nothing less than $10b on military every year. Algeria,egypt,SA,ethiopia,uganda even the small chad are busy equipping their army while we are spending $2.6b for our whole 130000 gigantic soldier defense force.
If these country are arming themself, then we should look outside boko haram and be ready for war anytime, considering the fact that we call ourself giant of africa we need a strong defense force.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by sevule(m): 8:28am On Jul 17, 2014
$1 billion loan? embarassed undecided undecided cry I laugh in Spanish

Mr. President please what happened to all the billions that was budgeted to the Armed Forces? And how did you arrive at the $1 billion figure? Are you aware that till date the police is yet to interview the parents, relatives or teachers of the abducted girls? How do you expect the girls to be found when it is pretty obvious that your administration has no interest in finding these girls?

Do not think that Nigerians can be fooled. You are simply using Boko Haram as an excuse to get a loan which would be used for your election campaign. If the money is ever approved we all know that what would actually be used in upgrading the Armed Forces is a negligible fraction. And as usual Nigerians would NOT demand for an explanation for how the money was expended. Just like the proceeds from fuel subsidy the people with the requisite connections would simply share the Boko Haram "subsidy".

After Obasanjo was kind enough to get us as a nation out of debt, your sole mission is to subject Nigerians both present and future to penury in the name of Boko Haram. My only hope is that our sleeping National Assembly would be quick enough to see through this pathetic ruse.

$1 billion Boko Haram subsidy MY FOOT!!!!!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by Nobody: 8:29am On Jul 17, 2014
The crook is looking for campaign money.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by dozzzybaba: 8:33am On Jul 17, 2014
ONE BILLION USDOLLAR$
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by olumaxi(m): 8:50am On Jul 17, 2014
Haaaaaaaa..R.I.P nigeria
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by san316(m): 10:18am On Jul 17, 2014
My people, it is unfortunate that GEJ will get it because it is nt the house that decides. It is the greedy senators n dis-Honorable members who may also be looking for election money. So they will approve and get their share. I'm Sorry, it's the troof.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by lanrefront1(m): 10:23am On Jul 17, 2014
Pastor Tunde Bakare made a prophecy concerning GEJ and the state of Nigeria's finances...
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by Jakumo(m): 10:31am On Jul 17, 2014
For the broader appeal needed to elicit more varied responses, the international assistance sought by the Nigerian government to fight its war on terror could be accepted both in cash and in military hardware, thus allowing interested international partners to influence events at the war-front as directly or covertly as best suits their individual national interests.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by musiwa112: 10:38am On Jul 17, 2014
western nigeria is a separate country from nigeria. the best is land transfer to avoid more suicide bombers. international law recognize me as president of western nigeria.

you cant solve the problem with democracy or military. because the senate a/ house of rep have mostly northerners, who will never agree.

democracy or military is not the solution.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Asks For $1,000,000,000 To Fight Boko Haram by egift(m): 6:44pm On Jul 24, 2014
hmmm there is God oooh

(1) (Reply)

Sea Pirates Take Over President Jonathan's home State / How 20-year Old Covenant University Student Was Murdered In Lagos / #bringbackourgirls: 130 Days Later, Chibok Girls Still Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.