Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,769 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System (3235 Views)

A Type Of Linux Hack That Affects Laptops / Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? / Linux or Windows Operating System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by Gatasolomon(m): 6:31pm On Jul 17, 2014
I am struggling to find a place to begin telling you about all the benefits and features you'll enjoy with Linux.
The operating system loads quickly and shuts down quickly
The operating system is very low cost
Upgrades are FREE!
Browsers like Firefox, Opera, and Chrome work well in Linux
Linux offers an amazing number of free programs
Linux can run Window Office
Linux runs Open Office
Linux looks enough like Windows you won't feel like you're in a strange place.
New open source software is available.
Older open source software is upgraded FREE!
You are not pestered about “Genuine Linux”
When you want to add software it is easy to find what you need
You don't have to clean the registry often – I've never felt the need in Linux
Linux can run Internet Explorer
You have access to support without paying for it
There are several places to find support
You may have access to a support group of living people in your community
You can learn Linux at your own pace
Linux will run your “legacy” equipment saving you replacement costs
Linux has educational software for FREE!
Linux has a self-adjusting star chart for FREE!
Linux is NOT Windows
Linux has photo editing and managing software for FREE (GIMP and F-SPOT)
You can run checking and finance software on Linux
Linux will co-exist peacefully with Windows on your machine

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by ITbomb(m): 7:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
The operating system loads quickly and shuts down quickly Same with Mac but Windows is still preferred
and the running cost is higher, how many Linux software can you buy for N200 in Nigeria
Upgrades are FREE!
I will stick with what I know
and better on Windows
Yea, like ping pong and solitaire
but not as sleek
Linux runs Open Office
which opens only in your room
apart from the Close and Minimise button on the 'wrong' side, it is close enough
why the new one when no one is using the old one
free indeed
hey bro, we know our way round
the easy part is to download not to find
Obviously
Yea, Symbian can also run a browser, who needs IE anyway after downloading other browsers
True, cos the users are not many
Like Computer village?
it would be easier for Shekeau to read the Bible than for you to find two people with a Linux system in your community
and windows at a faster pace
the latest drivers are always available for your windows devices
for every 1 of Linux, you see 4 of windows
ok, I don't even know what star chart is
Linux is NOT Windows
and can never be windows
photoshop anyone?
it should run
Linux will co-exist peacefully with Windows on your machine only as a second wife

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 17, 2014
I am struggling to find a place to begin telling you about all the benefits and features you'll enjoy with Linux.
first of all, do u mean ubuntu?

windows 8 and 8.1 re quick enough

yh. I downloaded it free. But just like the guy above me said. Its rubish. U cant even play mp3 files u have to download one rubish service

Upgrades are FREE!
i upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1 FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

since 1998. Microsoft windows

simple math. All ubuntu apps ever × 2 = free windows apps

microsoft owns office

Linux runs Open Office
same, lame

not as good looking as windows 8.1

not needed. Do u use it?

windows preveiws re upgraded free

nothing good comes easy. Nothing genuine is free. No fine babe has a porverty killing bf

av u heard of Windows 8 store?

because it does not perfom as much functions as windows

microsoft owns IE

there's nothing to support. The few major problems i had with it had no solutions

there are billon places to find support with windows

no body in my community use linux

Windows is 4 times easier to learn

what im i replacing?

Windows is the king of softwares even mac cant argue

what do u mean

Linux is NOT Windows
of course. pinky cant be brain

photos. Photoshop. corel draw. Paint. KAVD. Picasa. Photostatic. Power media player.........to name a few

I dont want to hear anything software again

pinky still leaved peacefully with brain na

3 Likes

Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by persius555(m): 7:45am On Jul 18, 2014
My own two kobo, if you feel like tweeking your tech saavy brain or looking to explore a newer OS or would like to build a server/client based system you could try linux. Do note, if u are the type that dreads the command line user interface, then you might not enjoy the linux system. Though linux allows you try different flavours. But, all in all windows stands out, i can assure you will appreciate your windows more eventually. cheesy
Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by danidee10(m): 9:49am On Dec 01, 2015
ITbomb:

The operating system loads quickly and shuts down quickly Same with Mac but Windows is still preferred
and the running cost is higher, how many Linux software can you buy for N200 in Nigeria
Upgrades are FREE!
I will stick with what I know
and better on Windows
Yea, like ping pong and solitaire
but not as sleek
Linux runs Open Office
which opens only in your room
apart from the Close and Minimise button on the 'wrong' side, it is close enough
why the new one when no one is using the old one
free indeed
hey bro, we know our way round
the easy part is to download not to find
Obviously
Yea, Symbian can also run a browser, who needs IE anyway after downloading other browsers
True, cos the users are not many
Like Computer village?
it would be easier for Shekeau to read the Bible than for you to find two people with a Linux system in your community
and windows at a faster pace
the latest drivers are always available for your windows devices
for every 1 of Linux, you see 4 of windows
ok, I don't even know what star chart is
Linux is NOT Windows
and can never be windows
photoshop anyone?
it should run
Linux will co-exist peacefully with Windows on your machine only as a second wife

ok, first let me reply you

1. Your windows might be fast initially but as time goes on it will slow down and you'll need to defragment and optimize whether you like it or not, as for linux defragmenting dosen't even exist because it has a better Disk format EXT4 than your NTFS

2. and the cost is higher, This doesn't even make sense at all Linux os is free to download whether ubuntu, debian, mint, they are all free you don't need to buy any software.....compare this to windows, windows is not free and you need to buy software or use your pirated 200 Naira software on to even use it at all coz by default only there is not much installed for you (You sound like a software pirate sha buying software 200 Naira, i'm sure you windows is cracked too......smh) undecided undecided undecided

3. You will stick what you know....then you'll never learn anything new simple...Next!!!

4. No they are not better in Linux....They are just the same UI, performance.....Next!!!

5. Like seriously!!!!, 99% of Linux software is free, free, even the ones that aren't free have community version and premium and the community version is free, no charge the only cost you have to literally pay is for the internet you use to download it...go and check how much dreamweaver or idm, or photoshop...this won't matter to you cuz you even buy pirated software for 200 Naira...smh tongue

6. Yeah windows wins here....but shouldn't you be amazed that a different operating system can run another's application with the same codebase, this dosen't mean that the office will be unstable or look ugly on linux though, i can confirm cuz my office 2007 runs well on my ubuntu no issues.....Also linux has it's own office suites, Libre office and Apache open office though they are not as good as Microsoft Office

7. Hater....Next!!!

8. Yeah they are some distro's that mimic windows to aid people like you that don't like new things to make the transition but that dosen't mean that we don't have cool ui's and desktop environment...go check out Unity, Gnome and best of all KDE....even windows 10 stole features from KDE and linux in general (Multiple desktop and window spread) but since we're open source we'll forgive

9. Dosen't make sense at all...i use open source software all the time compared to your closed source controlling software where everything is hidden from you

10. Yes free

11. Software Pirate.....mtchewwww undecided undecided undecided

12. and download the one that has backdoors in it right?? cool

13. Obviously...do u even understand the statement....This means that it's more efficient than windows FACT: over 70% of servers on the internet run linux/unix or a form of them....Where's your prestigious windows server na

14. refer to point 6....but we also have a lot of browsers.....chrome, chromium, firefox, opera, vivaldi, qbrowser.....too many to mention

15. refer to no 13....over 70% of servers on the internet i'll leave you to evaluate that for yourself, but even the nairaland is hosted on a linux machine.....Next!!!!

16. Dosen't even make sense.......Next!!!!

17. Please go and check linuxmeetup.com

18. silly....because you grew up with windows and you've known nothing more....it's like saying you learn how to eat faster with your hand when you've never seen spoon

19. But why do the drivers always get corrupted by virus...also it's a pain to install drivers on a formatted laptop, tools like drivers pack solution try to make it easy and going through windows update is more pain except you have lightening fast internet.....but with linux just install once and never bother about drivers again even if you format

20. For every one of linux you see 4 of windows (True for home users)...but servers (for every one of windows you see 500 linux servers)

21. ok, you win here that's not relevant

22. and windows can never be Linux, cuz it's susceptible to virus and gets slow with time...we love who we are

23. How much is photoshop.....oh i forgot pirate grin

24. Just showing you that we run all kinds of applications too...not really relevant though

25. it's just compatible with windows i can read your NTFS on through my linux without any external program, but try reading EXT4 with windows... which means with my flashdrive with linux installed on it (oh i forgot to tell you linux can be installed on a flash drive!!!! even on a memory card!!!!!!) i can access your windows files and reset your mumu password without leaving a trace...(oh i just taught you something)

By the way we don't need to reboot after installing new software or updating.....That's so argggghhhh on windows....Thank you for reading

6 Likes

Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by danidee10(m): 9:02pm On Dec 01, 2015
first of all, do u mean ubuntu?

windows 8 and 8.1 re quick enough

yh. I downloaded it free. But just like the guy above me said. Its rubish. U cant even play mp3 files u have to download one rubish service

Upgrades are FREE!
i upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1 FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

since 1998. Microsoft windows

simple math. All ubuntu apps ever × 2 = free windows apps

microsoft owns office

Linux runs Open Office
same, lame

not as good looking as windows 8.1

not needed. Do u use it?

windows preveiws re upgraded free

nothing good comes easy. Nothing genuine is free. No fine babe has a porverty killing bf

av u heard of Windows 8 store?

because it does not perfom as much functions as windows

microsoft owns IE

there's nothing to support. The few major problems i had with it had no solutions

there are billon places to find support with windows

no body in my community use linux

Windows is 4 times easier to learn

what im i replacing?

Windows is the king of softwares even mac cant argue

what do u mean

Linux is NOT Windows
of course. pinky cant be brain

photos. Photoshop. corel draw. Paint. KAVD. Picasa. Photostatic. Power media player.........to name a few

I dont want to hear anything software again

pinky still leaved peacefully with brain na

Now let me answer you, you seem more knowledgeable about computers than the other user (No insult intended)

1. Yeah, the OP might mean ubuntu, but they are other great distros of linux that offer the same or even better linux experience than ubuntu...e.g linux mint, Arch linux and debian but it all depends on what the user prefers there is no "one size fits all" for this

2. Yeah mp3 is not supported for a good reason ubuntu makes use of some codecs which might be considered illegal in some countries, so they don't want their users having unauthorized software that they shouldn't have by default cuz it's a crime in some countries....that dosen't mean you can play mp3's in those countries you can still install some of the codecs and have the full mp3 experience but as far as i know, in Nigeria there is no law against it also some distro's have support for mp3 out of the box so if you don't like something that bad just change to another distro (simple eh), on windows if you don't like something you stick with it until windows does something your biggest fight is to go and post in the windows forums, but with linux if i vex i can even fork the source code and edit it myself shocked, try finding the code for MS office and improve it lemme see grin......we still have a lot of pressing issues to deal with here that codecs

3. But how much did you buy windows 8 or 7?? it wasn't free or was it? (if you get a cracked version)

4. i don't really get you here, sure windows is older than linux but OP is just showing you that all the popular browsers work well on linux, but in the real sense linux is older because the first windows operating systems that came out are based on MS-DOS, but the new ones from windows NT 3.1 down to windows 10 today, first appeared in 1993 and linus torvalds uploaded the first linux os in 1991 and by the way linux has it's root from Unix announced in the early 70's so technically linux is older but that dosen't matter (i'm just giving you some history and facts)

5. But we don't have expensive software like photoshop and most of the free apps on windows store are useless (made by people who want to show their skills, and they are not maintained after they are released), ubuntu free apps are more useful

6 and 7. i've talked about this while replying the other user (OP didn't really do a good job on this one though....i must admit)

8. Nope KDE looks better by default, but with customization my unity looks better than windows, linux is better than windows when it comes to customization u can edit window animations and all those eye-candy animations, that's not what i mean the main customization is i tweaked my system to use less power and still be efficient hence my battery lasts longer on linux than on windows.....good luck doing that on windows (power save mode i guess cheesy)

9. Yes i use them, not all of them though (do u use all the software on windows?....NO) e.g i use gimp, deepin music player, rhythmbox, transmission can't mention all...but they are great and it's good to know the developers keep updating them and they are not stagnant and abandoned like the ones on windows store

10. True for windows 10....i don't think it was for others.

11. Linux is good if not better and comes easy compared to windows....we're open source and don't force our users to buy because it's free cool

12. Nope it's still not as easy

13. You're absolutely wrong here.....the linux server where nairaland is hosted is not doing any work abi and you ever wondered how the site stays online and doesn't go off for rebooting when software is updated (windows world) it's because it's running linux, linux servers can stay up and running for years without the need to reboot i personally saw a linux server stay up for 6 months without rebooting (where i did my Industrial Training) try keeping your pc turned on for one week let's see (no hibernation or sleep mode)....Linux dosen't even make use of a registry...all applications have their settings stored with them not in a central location, do u know what this means, it means i can copy all my settings into a flash and carry them anywhere i go and use of any system i please this includes all of my apps and ppa's too, could you do that on windows....nope, don't tell me about windows backup because it's not the same thing

14. i've talked about this when refferring to office in my own post.....IE is dead though even MS knows that that's why they have a brand new browser in windows 10....MS edge (it's still not as good as other popular browsers)

15. Jeeeez.....ignorance, why would you say this don't you have access to the internet go to askubuntu.com ubuntuforums.com, these are just the support site's for ubuntu each linux distro has it's own forums for the community to interact, they're better than the windows forums in the case of askubuntu (i don't have much experience with other distro forums but i guess they are just as good)...You never looked for support so don't complain.

16. should we still talk about this again (abeg read number 15 it's just one number before this)

17. yeah it's not so widespread in Nigeria....This dosen't mean we don't have linux users in nigeria....linuxmeetups.com also i have a group but you'll not join so i'm not posting it you have to look for it yourself if you're interested tongue

18. Nope it's because that's what you grew up with....gone are the days of the command line being tied to linux.....now there are nice gui's to use (it's still there for power users though), by the way windows also passed through the command line times too and it's still there...though their command line is not as powerful as the TERMINAL

19. This means Linux runs on a large variety of hardware, even all those ancient computers, try installing windows 7 on your old desktop or laptop (pre- 2007) back in the days you'll know what i mean....linux is everywhere even android phones are powered by linux....The biggest phone os in the market, abeg where is your windows mobile (This is another battle for another thread though)

20. i might agree with you here...i'm tempted a bit, but you have to dole out the cash to get all the amazing software....don't crack o

21. Not necessary (what was OP Thinking here.....High grade Oshogbo weed must have been speaking grin grin grin)

22. Yes Linux can't be windows there are too different operating systems (Linux is the Brain for power users, windows is the pinky for basic users)....does it not rhyme

23. is photoshop free, or corel draw (don't tell me you're a pirate)....gimp is and you can't even compare gimp to paint don't ever try it

24. Even me too i was tired of hearing software grin grin

25. i don't want to hear anything about pinky and the brain again angry angry angry

By the way try and do this on your windows search in a single command or action or however: Search for all the pictures on your pc contain a particular keyword and move them to another folder (when you achieve this please post it here) grin

and also on linux i can have a system more like a workstation with different users that can be logged in at the same time and run different types and versions of software and update them and make changes to their system however they like without rebooting or interrupting the users (e.g updating a software of another user or upgrading the system for everybody)....when you do this on windows post your achievement here or mail bill gates, oh i can also login through ssh and work on another pc, e.g updating or installing software without interrupting anybody that is using it, in windows the best you can get is RAT's (Remote Access tools) where the mouse will be moving or PUTTY (a light weight ssh client for windows).......Thank you for listening too

Some cool screenshots of my desktop

oh by the way i'm an arsenal fan and i listen to frank edwards so don't mind that

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by makavele: 4:58am On Dec 02, 2015
U killed it , brov !!!!

1 Like

Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by obiak4(m): 11:45am On Jun 30, 2016
makavele:
U killed it , brov !!!!
Sorry how much is a linus machine/pc?
Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by makavele: 1:11pm On Jun 30, 2016
obiak4:

Sorry how much is a linus machine/pc?

depends on specs . . a core i5,,,, 120 GB ssd and 4 GB ram would go for nothing less than 200k now
due to the naira/dollar saga
Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by ugnoble: 4:26am On Jul 02, 2016
danidee10:

Now let me answer you, you seem more knowledgeable about computers than the other user (No insult intended)

1. Yeah, the OP might mean ubuntu, but they are other great distros of linux that offer the same or even better linux experience than ubuntu...e.g linux mint, Arch linux and debian but it all depends on what the user prefers there is no "one size fits all" for this

2. Yeah mp3 is not supported for a good reason ubuntu makes use of some codecs which might be considered illegal in some countries, so they don't want their users having unauthorized software that they shouldn't have by default cuz it's a crime in some countries....that dosen't mean you can play mp3's in those countries you can still install some of the codecs and have the full mp3 experience but as far as i know, in Nigeria there is no law against it also some distro's have support for mp3 out of the box so if you don't like something that bad just change to another distro (simple eh), on windows if you don't like something you stick with it until windows does something your biggest fight is to go and post in the windows forums, but with linux if i vex i can even fork the source code and edit it myself shocked, try finding the code for MS office and improve it lemme see grin......we still have a lot of pressing issues to deal with here that codecs

3. But how much did you buy windows 8 or 7?? it wasn't free or was it? (if you get a cracked version)

4. i don't really get you here, sure windows is older than linux but OP is just showing you that all the popular browsers work well on linux, but in the real sense linux is older because the first windows operating systems that came out are based on MS-DOS, but the new ones from windows NT 3.1 down to windows 10 today, first appeared in 1993 and linus torvalds uploaded the first linux os in 1991 and by the way linux has it's root from Unix announced in the early 70's so technically linux is older but that dosen't matter (i'm just giving you some history and facts)

5. But we don't have expensive software like photoshop and most of the free apps on windows store are useless (made by people who want to show their skills, and they are not maintained after they are released), ubuntu free apps are more useful

6 and 7. i've talked about this while replying the other user (OP didn't really do a good job on this one though....i must admit)

8. Nope KDE looks better by default, but with customization my unity looks better than windows, linux is better than windows when it comes to customization u can edit window animations and all those eye-candy animations, that's not what i mean the main customization is i tweaked my system to use less power and still be efficient hence my battery lasts longer on linux than on windows.....good luck doing that on windows (power save mode i guess cheesy)

9. Yes i use them, not all of them though (do u use all the software on windows?....NO) e.g i use gimp, deepin music player, rhythmbox, transmission can't mention all...but they are great and it's good to know the developers keep updating them and they are not stagnant and abandoned like the ones on windows store

10. True for windows 10....i don't think it was for others.

11. Linux is good if not better and comes easy compared to windows....we're open source and don't force our users to buy because it's free cool

12. Nope it's still not as easy

13. You're absolutely wrong here.....the linux server where nairaland is hosted is not doing any work abi and you ever wondered how the site stays online and doesn't go off for rebooting when software is updated (windows world) it's because it's running linux, linux servers can stay up and running for years without the need to reboot i personally saw a linux server stay up for 6 months without rebooting (where i did my Industrial Training) try keeping your pc turned on for one week let's see (no hibernation or sleep mode)....Linux dosen't even make use of a registry...all applications have their settings stored with them not in a central location, do u know what this means, it means i can copy all my settings into a flash and carry them anywhere i go and use of any system i please this includes all of my apps and ppa's too, could you do that on windows....nope, don't tell me about windows backup because it's not the same thing

14. i've talked about this when refferring to office in my own post.....IE is dead though even MS knows that that's why they have a brand new browser in windows 10....MS edge (it's still not as good as other popular browsers)

15. Jeeeez.....ignorance, why would you say this don't you have access to the internet go to askubuntu.com ubuntuforums.com, these are just the support site's for ubuntu each linux distro has it's own forums for the community to interact, they're better than the windows forums in the case of askubuntu (i don't have much experience with other distro forums but i guess they are just as good)...You never looked for support so don't complain.

16. should we still talk about this again (abeg read number 15 it's just one number before this)

17. yeah it's not so widespread in Nigeria....This dosen't mean we don't have linux users in nigeria....linuxmeetups.com also i have a group but you'll not join so i'm not posting it you have to look for it yourself if you're interested tongue

18. Nope it's because that's what you grew up with....gone are the days of the command line being tied to linux.....now there are nice gui's to use (it's still there for power users though), by the way windows also passed through the command line times too and it's still there...though their command line is not as powerful as the TERMINAL

19. This means Linux runs on a large variety of hardware, even all those ancient computers, try installing windows 7 on your old desktop or laptop (pre- 2007) back in the days you'll know what i mean....linux is everywhere even android phones are powered by linux....The biggest phone os in the market, abeg where is your windows mobile (This is another battle for another thread though)

20. i might agree with you here...i'm tempted a bit, but you have to dole out the cash to get all the amazing software....don't crack o

21. Not necessary (what was OP Thinking here.....High grade Oshogbo weed must have been speaking grin grin grin)

22. Yes Linux can't be windows there are too different operating systems (Linux is the Brain for power users, windows is the pinky for basic users)....does it not rhyme

23. is photoshop free, or corel draw (don't tell me you're a pirate)....gimp is and you can't even compare gimp to paint don't ever try it

24. Even me too i was tired of hearing software grin grin

25. i don't want to hear anything about pinky and the brain again angry angry angry

By the way try and do this on your windows search in a single command or action or however: Search for all the pictures on your pc contain a particular keyword and move them to another folder (when you achieve this please post it here) grin

and also on linux i can have a system more like a workstation with different users that can be logged in at the same time and run different types and versions of software and update them and make changes to their system however they like without rebooting or interrupting the users (e.g updating a software of another user or upgrading the system for everybody)....when you do this on windows post your achievement here or mail bill gates, oh i can also login through ssh and work on another pc, e.g updating or installing software without interrupting anybody that is using it, in windows the best you can get is RAT's (Remote Access tools) where the mouse will be moving or PUTTY (a light weight ssh client for windows).......Thank you for listening too

Some cool screenshots of my desktop

oh by the way i'm an arsenal fan and i listen to frank edwards so don't mind that

Hahaha... I so love this die, Chaii. Nwanne tell me the brand of Linux Machine I fit buy wey dey good. with prices?

1 Like

Re: The Benefits And Advantages Of Linux Operating System by xeroxism: 7:23pm On Mar 17, 2017
It is very nice to see young Nigerians interested in linux...pls i would like us to meet up ONLINE regularly...i have a blog (FOSSNAIJA.COM) on linux and FREE AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE, anybody can get to me there....#peace

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Neat UK Used Dell E6430 -core i5 8gb RAM / Canon Pixma Photo Printer 18k / SOLD OUT !Uk Used Hp Elitebook 8540p Core I5, 1gb Nvidia Graphics 500gb/4gb @60k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.