Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,433 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry (2004 Views)

How Buhari Is Hurting Nigeria’s Electoral Process (Vanguard) / Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts / Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Eldavido1: 10:23am On Jul 18, 2014
The massive consumption of cattle skin, commonly called ‘pomo’ or
‘kanda,’ in the country has been proven to be destroying the hides
and skin industry where Nigeria earns at least $3 billion annually in
foreign exchange.
At the time being, Nigeria’s hides and skin production, mainly
undertaken in Kano State, is said to be the largest in the Economic
Community of West African States (ECOWAS) sub-region, with a
total population of over 245 million people and an economic growth
of 6 percent – 7 percent annually.
This was revealed last Friday by Adeniyi Agunbiade, a professor of
animal nutrition and feed technology, and is also the vice chancellor
of McPherson University, Seriki-Sotayo, Ogun State, a tertiary
institution owned by the Foursquare Gospel Church in Nigeria.
Agunbiade specifically said that Nigeria, although was able to earn $
3 billion from sale and export of hides and skins, but the country
was miles away from playing deep in the huge global market of
hides and skins worth over $72 billion.
He said an expected expansion in the country’s leather industry
would depend largely on the recovery of hides and skins of the
farming stock, much of which is currently being consumed
nationwide as ‘pomo.’
He mentioned that countries like China, Morocco, Tunisia, among
others, were reaping heavily in exports of raw hides and skins to the
world during the same period; “while sadly, Nigeria consumes hers
in a food delicacy that has no nutritional value.”
He, therefore, advocated for the stoppage of animal skin (pomo)
consumption in order to save the country’s hides and skins
industry.
The US, with a value of hides and skins put at over $57 billion, is
said to be the world’s preferred supplier of raw and semi-processed
materials for leather production.

businessdayonline.com/2014/07/pomo-consumption-hurting-nigerias-3bn-hidesskin-industry/

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 18, 2014
I have not read more bull5hit in my life

1 Like

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Eldavido1: 10:29am On Jul 18, 2014
naijababe: I have not read more bull5hit in my life

Maybe you forgot that "pomo" has no nutritional value whatsoever!
A shear waste of hide and skin for our local industries.

1 Like

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by fijiano202(m): 10:30am On Jul 18, 2014
naijababe: I have not read more bull5hit in my life
theres always a first time for everything..bullshiit included
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Nobody: 10:38am On Jul 18, 2014
Eldavido1:

A [b]shear [/b]waste of hide and skin for our local industries.

You mean a sheer waste right? Kinda at par with haggis but it is still the national dish of Scotland.
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by mars123(m): 10:39am On Jul 18, 2014
This is not bullsh1t,it is true sh*t...but Naijans don't wanna hear true sh*t!
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Eldavido1: 10:51am On Jul 18, 2014
naijababe:

You mean a sheer waste right? Kinda at par with haggis but it is still the national dish of Scotland.

Any suggestion out of the logjam cause our industries are bearing the brunt.
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 18, 2014
Eldavido1:

Any suggestion out of the logjam cause our industries are bearing the brunt.

Ok...........let me break it down. Yes pomo is a national delicacy that can earn us billions but to suggest that people should stop eating it is preposterous. As with all things, if our markets are competitive and those who rear the cows earn the billions, eating pomo will become a thing of the past, they'd rather sell for hide than for meat, gerrit.

Encourage and support animal husbandry and CUT DOWN THE ELITIST MIDDLEMEN.

2 Likes

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Tolexander: 11:00am On Jul 18, 2014
Eldavido1:

A shear waste of hide and skin for our local industries.

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Eldavido1: 12:06pm On Jul 18, 2014
naijababe:

Ok...........let me break it down. Yes pomo is a national delicacy that can earn us billions but to suggest that people should stop eating it is preposterous. As with all things, if our markets are competitive and those who rear the cows earn the billions, eating pomo will become a thing of the past, they'd rather sell for hide than for meat, gerrit.

Encourage and support animal husbandry and CUT DOWN THE ELITIST MIDDLEMEN.

nice one...

1 Like

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Sealeddeal(m): 12:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
@Op,Kanda is not given to anybody free of charge. The consumers buys it equally.
Govt should instead support the increase in production of cattles so that after Kanda consumers must have bought the quantity they need,there will still be enough for export.

1 Like

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by PointB: 12:45pm On Jul 18, 2014
Basically Nigerians have been consuming shoes, belts, and hand-bag and co in gargantuan proportion. Time to say no to pomo!!

1 Like

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by davno: 12:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
Abeg nobody should touch our pomo ooh! Give us good roads, constant electricity, etc commercializing our pomo for d hide n skin industry is not what Nigeria truly needs at d moment.
Madam abeg put 3 pomo there!

2 Likes

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Metrofox(m): 12:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
For pomo to have no nutritional value economically speaking would mean it still has a value that simply means we're cutting down on the calories we consume daily, it's a natural check and balance system, if we succeed in exchanging chicken,beef and pork for our dear pomo, we help in kicking out obesity grin

1 Like

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by collynzo2(m): 1:16pm On Jul 18, 2014
I wonder what exactly people enjoy from eating that shît, no taste, no nutritional value, absolutely nothing.
Nigerians and their weird choices.
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by JEITO: 1:39pm On Jul 18, 2014
@ OP- don't you think the fact that kpomo is one of the most consumed food item in the Nigeria and also a good export product that can fetch us billions on dollars, should open a wider market for cattle rearers to expand their market and increase their production?
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by JEITO: 1:42pm On Jul 18, 2014
As for those calling for a ban on kpomo, why not stop gas flaring first! After all, we are losing more from it than from pomo consumption.
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by JEITO: 1:44pm On Jul 18, 2014
collynzo2: I wonder what exactly people enjoy from eating that shît, no taste, no nutritional value, absolutely nothing.
Nigerians and their weird choices.
even water has taste. Well this a case of one man's meat, another man's poison or in this case business.
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by omoharry(f): 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
BANNED KPOMO KE, HAAAAAAAAAAAAA! ABEG OO! MAKE UNA STOP AM IF NA PLAY. IT DOES NOT HAVE NUTRITIONAL VALUE, NO PROBLEM BUT EE DEY SWEET FOR SOUP. IMAGIN EATING KPOMO WITH OGBONO SOUP..
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Sibrah: 1:55pm On Jul 18, 2014
One has to give way for the other. 'Assorted kpomo' or Leather. Atleast if there is no power to work a leather processing plant, there will be firewood for kpomo.
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Eldavido1: 2:24pm On Jul 18, 2014
Sealeddeal: @Op,Kanda is not given to anybody free of charge. The consumers buys it equally.
Govt should instead support the increase in production of cattles so that after Kanda consumers must have bought the quantity they need,there will still be enough for export.

Higher kpomo production will result in excess availability thereby lower prices. And when you have lower prices that will shoot up consumption. So in essence increase production = lower prices = Higher kpomo consumption. It's just gonna be a circle. They have to ban it's consumption period!
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 18, 2014
Eldavido1:

Higher kpomo production will result in excess availability thereby lower prices. And when you have lower prices that will shoot up consumption. So in essence increase production = lower prices = Higher kpomo consumption. It's just gonna be a circle. They have to ban it's consumption period!

Wrong, think about it this way, as a butcher, if you know u can sell a kilo of pomo for 1000 naira to consumers and 4000 to people who process for hide, who will you sell to?

1 Like

Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by lakpalakpa: 2:57pm On Jul 18, 2014
naijababe:

Wrong, think about it this way, as a butcher, if you know u can sell a kilo of pomo for 1000 naira to consumers and 4000 to people who process for hide, who will you sell to?

I love you.....

What can I do to make you mine??

Intelligent ladies always "burst" my head..

kiss kiss
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 18, 2014
^ Sorry mate, your timing is not great. Maybe 15 years ago, i would returned that smiley wink
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by tandj: 3:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
@lakpalakpa. Gosh.
She is waaaay above u even as a single.
Sorry bro.
@naijababe, I see u, good one.
Will meet u guys again at d right time.
I just love it here for now.
The drama is better than nollywood movie,I tell ya kiss
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Eldavido1: 3:44pm On Jul 18, 2014
naijababe:

Those who process for hide. Yeah I think I got your point.
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Eldavido1: 3:44pm On Jul 18, 2014
naijababe:

Those who process for hide. Yeah I think I got your point. Hope it wrks out that way.
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by lakpalakpa: 3:51pm On Jul 18, 2014
naijababe: ^ Sorry mate, your timing is not great. Maybe 15 years ago, i would returned that smiley wink

sad sad
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 18, 2014
tandj: @lakpalakpa. Gosh.
She is waaaay above u even as a single.
Sorry bro.
@naijababe, I see u, good one.
Will meet u guys again at d right time.
I just love it here for now.
The drama is better than nollywood movie,I tell ya kiss

You lost me. Who are you
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by atlwireles: 4:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
This is a supply and demand issue. We don't need government regulations where. Just produce more cows for the pomo lovers and the hides/skins industry.
Re: Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 18, 2014
atlwireles: This is a supply and demand issue. We don't need government regulations where. Just produce more cows for the pomo lovers and the hides/skins industry.

Touche wink

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer / Rivers State Welcomes Barr Nyesom Wike today 24th oct - Pictures / Apologetic Boko Haram Leaflets Dropped From Helicopter In Adamawa State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.