Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,393 members, 7,812,158 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Computer Networking - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Computer Networking (1892 Views)

Learn Computer Networking / Need A Seminar/project Topic On Computer Networking / What Does Computer Networking Entail? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 1:25pm On Jul 18, 2014
please am in need help of anyone that knows how to network more than two computers. I will be glad if i can get a teacher here.
Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 3:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
Horppy: please am in need help of anyone that knows how to network more than two computers. I will be glad if i can get a teacher here.
Thanks in anticipation

What do you need help with?
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 7:45pm On Jul 18, 2014
Fulaman198:

What do you need help with?
i want to knw hw to network
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
Horppy:
i want to knw hw to network

Your question though is a bit vague, you want to know how to network? You want to know how to setup a computer network? You want to know how to connect two computers? I'm confused by your question.
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 9:30pm On Jul 18, 2014
Fulaman198:

Your question though is a bit vague, you want to know how to network? You want to know how to setup a computer network? You want to know how to connect two computers? I'm confused by your question.
i think is because i dnt knw anything abt networking stuff, dnt mind me i thought is d same. Let me start frm "how to connect two computers". Thanks i really appreciate ur response
Re: Computer Networking by persius555(m): 2:55am On Jul 19, 2014
Google search engine is your fiend.
Re: Computer Networking by Skywalker5(m): 12:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
Horppy:
i think is because i dnt knw anything abt networking stuff, dnt mind me i thought is d same. Let me start frm "how to connect two computers". Thanks i really appreciate ur response

use an ethernet cable to connect both PC and make sure their IP address is on the same network
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 12:15pm On Jul 20, 2014
Skywalker5:

use an ethernet cable to connect both PC and make sure their IP address is on the same network

He would need a crossover Ethernet cable
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 12:36pm On Jul 20, 2014
Skywalker5:

pls, hw do i get d IP address of both computers?
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 12:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
Horppy:
pls, hw do i get d IP address of both computers?

What operating system? Do you mean IP address assignment?
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 8:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

What operating system? Do you mean IP address assignment?
window 7
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 9:37pm On Jul 20, 2014
Horppy:
window 7

Ok how many computers in the network?
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 10:28pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ok how many computers in the network?
four
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 10:30pm On Jul 20, 2014
Horppy:
four

Ok I think I understand what you are trying to do, you are trying to set up a home network correct? Is it going to be wired or wireless? Is it going to have a printer? Are you going to attempt to access the internet with this network? I need to know more in order to help you,.
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 10:38pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ok I think I understand what you are trying to do, you are trying to set up a home network correct? Is it going to be wired or wireless? Is it going to have a printer? Are you going to attempt to access the internet with this network? I need to know more in order to help you,.
sir, u are right. I will prefer d wireless. d printer wil be added and d network wil be access.
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 10:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
Horppy:
sir, u are right. I will prefer d wireless. d printer wil be added and d network wil be access.

Ok, so here is how it works,

You get a router which acts as a gateway to the internet. It routes traffic from the inside of your network to the outside so that you get internet access. What kind of Internet Service Provider are you using? The router will connect to whatever modem your CSU/DSU that you use. In addition, if your network is wireless, you won't need any of the wires described previously unless you are connecting your router to a machine (some kind of Modem, DSL modem, Cable Modem, CSU/DSU, etc. etc.) I wish you understood network topologies, I would write one up for you.

Your Computers would need to have wireless LAN cards that can access your router. There is a long list of things to do, when buying a printer make sure it is compatible with wireless networks. Since you will be on a wireless network, you would want to go ahead and encrypt it with the strongest form of encryption currently available (WPA2 with AES).

Keep asking questions.
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 10:50pm On Jul 20, 2014
BTW, the router will have to be wireless.

Depending on how far you want the router to reach is very important too. How many metres?
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 10:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ok, so here is how it works,

You get a router which acts as a gateway to the internet. It routes traffic from the inside of your network to the outside so that you get internet access. What kind of Internet Service Provider are you using? The router will connect to whatever modem your CSU/DSU that you use. In addition, if your network is wireless, you won't need any of the wires described previously unless you are connecting your router to a machine (some kind of Modem, DSL modem, Cable Modem, CSU/DSU, etc. etc.) I wish you understood network topologies, I would write one up for you.

Your Computers would need to have wireless LAN cards that can access your router. There is a long list of things to do, when buying a printer make sure it is compatible with wireless networks. Since you will be on a wireless network, you would want to go ahead and encrypt it with the strongest form of encryption currently available (WPA2 with AES).

Keep asking questions.
Which one is network topologies?
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 10:54pm On Jul 20, 2014
Horppy:
Which one is network topologies?

It is a design diagram that network engineers use for network planning

This is an example.

Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 10:58pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

It is a design diagram that network engineers use for network planning

This is an example.
ok. do i need to knw dat in my lesson?
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 10:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
Horppy:
ok. do i need to knw dat in my lesson?

LOL absolutely not, I just said it would have been easier for your network planning. All you need to do is ask a lot of questions until you get the gists of what you need to do in order to successfully establish your first home network. Once you learn it, you will feel accomplished and enjoy it.
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 11:03pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

LOL absolutely not, I just said it would have been easier for your network planning. All you need to do is ask a lot of questions until you get the gists of what you need to do in order to successfully establish your first home network. Once you learn it, you will feel accomplished and enjoy it.
assuming all d equipment is ready nw, wats d first step to take?
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 11:06pm On Jul 20, 2014
Horppy:
assuming all d equipment is ready nw, wats d first step to take?

You would want to go ahead and setup your wireless router first. Can you please kindly tell me what other equipment besides the computers and possible printer that you have.
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 11:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

You would want to go ahead and setup your wireless router first. Can you please kindly tell me what other equipment besides the computers and possible printer that you have.
there is no other equipment
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 11:12pm On Jul 20, 2014
Horppy:
there is no other equipment

Do you have an ISP? No DSL modem, no CSU/DSU? None of those things to get to the internet? Is this just a home network to transfer files to and fro other computers.
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 3:14am On Jul 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Do you have an ISP? No DSL modem, no CSU/DSU? None of those things to get to the internet? Is this just a home network to transfer files to and fro other computers.
i wil get it by d end of dis month

1 Like

Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 4:48pm On Jul 21, 2014
Horppy:
i wil get it by d end of dis month

Ok please keep me informed
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 7:49pm On Jul 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ok please keep me informed
ok sir
Re: Computer Networking by teamup: 8:23pm On Jul 21, 2014
following
Re: Computer Networking by bayotee(m): 10:27pm On Jul 29, 2014
Following. This is really interesting.
Re: Computer Networking by Fulaman198(m): 10:29pm On Jul 29, 2014
Op, we still have not heard back from you
Re: Computer Networking by Horppy(m): 3:43pm On Aug 02, 2014
Fulaman198: Op, we still have not heard back from you
Thanks boss, i just bought it today. So, lets continue our lecture.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Original 135w And 230w HP Chargers For gaming laptops and workstations for Sale / SOLD Lenovo Thinkpad P50 (come With Charger And Lenovo Docking Station) SOLD / Like New UK Used Dell Latitude 7480 - 8GB RAM, Core I5, 6th Gen, 7hrs Battery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.