Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,402 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) (953 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? / Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by Ollyray1: 9:00am On Jul 19, 2014
Good morning Nairalanders, please to the auto professionals, I need your help so I don't make a mistake. I'm about to buy this neat tokunbo Audi 6 car '99 model. I need every low down concerning the performance, maintenance, fuel economy and also parts availability of this machine before I buy it. #Considering it's my first ride. Thank you.
Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by kingschild123(m): 12:04pm On Jul 19, 2014
I would highly advise you to avoid used Audi'd older than 2 years that are not covered under warranty for the simple reason they are quite expensive to maintain and worse, unreliable. Although many owners say they enjoy driving them and are mostly reliable, most are leases for 3 years or less and thus keep the miles below 40k miles, long before any major work is required- ie timing belts, turbos (on 1.8 and 2.0l) cylinder head gaskets, rings, transmissions, wheel bearings etc etc etc. You must seriously consider the cost involved in keeping an almost 9 year old Audi with 100,000 miles on the odo- is it really worth the long term costs including depreciation, maintenance and repair. In the end how many solid reliable miles will you get out of this vehicle. Consider your total cost of owner ship, not to mention the temperaments of these vehicles- one day they work, the next who knows? Does this vehicle have a warranty. Do you persoannly know this dealer? Are you prepared to spend some serious money to change the timing belt which will soon need to be replaced?

Unless you set aside a seperate budget, expect to be surprised with the repair bill. My advice, stay away and ignore the people who say "oh this car is fast...", "my brother had one for 500k miles and not a single problem and he drag races his..."

Trust me and consumer reports, you'll thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 19, 2014
kingschild123: I would highly advise you to avoid used Audi'd older than 2 years that are not covered under warranty for the simple reason they are quite expensive to maintain and worse, unreliable. Although many owners say they enjoy driving them and are mostly reliable, most are leases for 3 years or less and thus keep the miles below 40k miles, long before any major work is required- ie timing belts, turbos (on 1.8 and 2.0l) cylinder head gaskets, rings, transmissions, wheel bearings etc etc etc. You must seriously consider the cost involved in keeping an almost 9 year old Audi with 100,000 miles on the odo- is it really worth the long term costs including depreciation, maintenance and repair. In the end how many solid reliable miles will you get out of this vehicle. Consider your total cost of owner ship, not to mention the temperaments of these vehicles- one day they work, the next who knows? Does this vehicle have a warranty. Do you persoannly know this dealer? Are you prepared to spend some serious money to change the timing belt which will soon need to be replaced?

Unless you set aside a seperate budget, expect to be surprised with the repair bill. My advice, stay away and ignore the people who say "oh this car is fast...", "my brother had one for 500k miles and not a single problem and he drag races his..."

Trust me and consumer reports, you'll thank me later.

I completely agree with you but they won't listen. Looking at an Audi, let alone an A6 for a first car is a financial disaster waiting to happen.

Audis are technological advanced machines. They require critical maintenance but reward you for that with cunning performance.

OP, find yourself a nice RWD vehicle, preferably Japanese (I know that is a tall order) so you can enjoy driving.
Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by yungboss(m): 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2014
CityNG:

I completely agree with you but they won't listen. Looking at an Audi, let alone an A6 for a first car is a financial disaster waiting to happen.

Audis are technological advanced machines. They require critical maintenance but reward you for that with cunning performance.

OP, find yourself a nice RWD vehicle, preferably Japanese (I know that is a tall order) so you can enjoy driving.
...e.g a lowly 2001/2 Lexus Is300. Wonderful car, I test-drove one recently. Good acceleration, I felt like I was in a 3 series.
Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 19, 2014
yungboss:
...e.g lowly 2001/2 Lexus Is300. Wonderful car, I test-drove one recently. Good acceleration, I felt like I was in a series.

The truth is that most modern cars are actually really good and even some of those Hyundais are formidable opponents on the track.

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by sultaan(m): 6:00pm On Jul 19, 2014
The guy likes Audi, has the money to buy I'll say buy, but also acquire the knowledge to maintain such a car.

People will automatically suggest a small corolla but the Audi is perfect for someone with taste just check the history ,mileage and any pending issue and join a good Audi forum

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 20, 2014
Dnt like people that advise people against buying the car of their dreams.
Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
Bossforeva: Dnt like people that advise people against buying the car of their dreams.

It's okay, I'm not on NL to win a popularity contest.

The interesting thing is that I have a bucket list of cars I want to own. As I cross of the list I've never asked a single persons opinion.

The OP, on a public forum, asked for opinions, and he got many. It's up to the OP to make his decision after weighing the opinions that he sought.
Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by Ollyray1: 9:06pm On Jul 23, 2014
Thank you all Nairalanders, I really appreciates everyone's contributions. I have decided to buy a 2002 model Nissan pathfinder instead.
I was told that most of our Naija auto mechanics don't know much about Audi (most especially the A6) and I don't want to have a frustrating experience on my first ride.
Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ollyray1: Thank you all Nairalanders, I really appreciates everyone's contributions. I have decided to buy a 2002 model Nissan pathfinder instead.
I was told that most of our Naija auto mechanics don't know much about Audi (most especially the A6) and I don't want to have a frustrating experience on my first ride.

An astute decision Sir.

Once you've honed your skills, made mechanic alliances, have a healthy savings account then you can enter the Audi fray.

I love Audis, they are exemplary motorcars but they are not designed for Nigerian roads.
Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by sultaan(m): 10:03pm On Jul 23, 2014
Unfortunately most of what they call roads in Naija is more like and off road course manufacturers can't imagine Nigerian roads when they design cars because it does not meet any standard or spec

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On Audi 6 quarttro V6 Car (1999 Model) by lanrefront1(m): 3:24am On Jul 25, 2014
Nissan Pathfinder..... hope you don't miss mind spending a lot of cash on fuel sha.......your first car... right?

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Rav4 Transmission Issues / Amazing Facts Why Nigerians Love Japanese Cars. / First Look: 2016 Honda RC213V-S - Only 101 Hp?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.