Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:00 AM

Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment (1313 Views)

Hidden Motives Behind President Buhari's Consistent Foreign Trips. / Governor Al-Makura Lying On Bug-Infested Mattress In Government School (Pic) / BREAKING: Nasarawa Lawmakers Serves Gov. Al-makura Impeachment Notice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by talk2smat(m): 4:50am On Jul 20, 2014
Following the impeachment plot on Governor Tanko Al-makura by Nasarawa state assembly dominated by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, over sundry allegations, analysts are of the opinion that the issues are politically motivated. It is hardly believable that the pomp and hysterical jubilation of Nasarawa people following the emergence of Governor Umaru Tanko Al-makura’s victory at the 2011 poll would come to a crashing end at the hands of the very PDP that was massively voted out of office for inertia by the electorates. This is the eighth time the state assembly has threatened Governor Al-makura with impeachment but only now has reached the point of serving a notice on him to that effect. Many questions come to mind as to the timing and motive behind this move.

From conspiracy theorists to informed political sources, diverse reasons are being adduced, most of which point to the fact that the PDP is more concerned with maintaining grip on power at any cost than governance and the collective prosperity of Nigerians. The public court in Nasarawa state is of the judgment that Al-makura is a victim of Goodluck Jonathan and PDP’s new strategy for self-perpetuation at the helm of affairs. This is for the simple reason that if the principles of good governance are measured by the delivery of democracy dividends, then the outrage that greeted this move by the assembly is justified.

From inception of his administration in 2011, Al-makura made it clear that plundering public purse for personal gains would not be tolerated and that disposition sets the tone for his running battle with the assembly over the issue of financial patronage as had been the tradition. Although the Speaker of the Assembly, Hon. Musa Ahmed Mohammed had on many occasions testified that Al-makura has ensured fiscal autonomy for the state assembly, the lawmakers are disenchanted with the governor’s consistent refusal to oblige them any fiscal privilege other than what is statutorily theirs. It is believed that the previous occasions they threatened him with impeachment, the primary motive was bargaining for some financial patronage.

On several occasions, the public rose spontaneously to the governor’s defence who is widely viewed as the messiah saving the state from the twelve wasteful years of PDP’s misrule. Two shades of opinion that have now come to the fore however are that the presidency perfected the defection of the deputy governor to the PDP as a way of easing the governor out for fear of facing him at the polls due to his soaring popularity coming on the heel of his achievements. Persuaded to carry out this onerous task to reclaim the state for the PDP so as to ensure Jonathan’s re-election did not come without a prize as the lawmakers were said to have been given N30 million each with a promise of automatic return ticket if they pull it off.

Although Al-makura was said to have given them N10million each two days before their resolution to impeach him, it was not enough to sway them. The lawmakers are reaping bountifully from both sides with each trying to save or perpetuate themselves in office. It noteworthy that all the 16 charges leveled against Governor Al-makura border on financial misappropriation. For example, he is accused of misappropriating over N2 billion from the Joint Account Fund, over N3billion from Local Government Joint Account and diversion and misappropriation of Sure-P funds. Other allegations include falsification of financial report for the year 2012 and diversion of over N350 million funds meant for flood.

Laudable and morally upright as this may sound if proven to be true, what bothers the Nasarawa electorates is the veiled insincerity behind this glossy display of pious grandstanding by the assembly. An informed source who spoke to LEADERSHIP Sunday was of the belief that the Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, is taking advantage of his closeness to the president to mastermind the removal of Al-makura to pave way for him to realize his long desired ambition of becoming the governor of the state. The source who pleaded anonymity also disclosed that part of the grand plan is to force the Deputy Governor, Hon. Dameshi Barau, to resign so that the speaker acts for a period of three months during which the presidency is expected to perfect the election of either Maku or Senator Solomon Ewuga as governor.

Investigations also reveal that in the event that Maku and Ewuga proof difficult to sell, the former governor, Alhaji Aliyu Akwe Doma would be brought into the race to fly the party’s flag. This is more so due the stigma which an Eggon man is associated with after visiting mayhem on several ethnic communities in the state. Senator Ewuga is said to be disposed to this option because it would serve as a form of extending a hand of fellowship to the Alagos after the brutal massacre of their kinsmen by the Ombatse militia. With the impeachment notice having claimed three lives already in a standoff between Gwandara and Eggon youths who are both rooting for one of theirs, more is still expected as a backlash to this move which many in the state consider hypocritical and ignoble.In the interim, however, four constituencies have indicated readiness to initiate moves towards recalling their members from the assembly, Francis Orogu, PDP-Keana, Anthony Obande, PDP-Doma South, Mohammed Okpede, Doma Central are on danger list.

One peculiar and disturbing dimension is the refusal of the lawmakers to heed to the counsel of royal fathers in the state. Hon. Orogu, who is unarguably the face of the impeachment was said to have turned down all pleas by the Osana of Keana HRH, Sen Emmanuel Elayo. Even the emir of Lafia appealed to him in the same vein but the former labour leader refused to reconsider his position. Many in the state, however, are of the belief that the lawmakers would eventually reconsider their moves in the interest of peace. Some are also of the opinion that since Al-makura has given the impression of an impeccable manager of resources as demanded by the APC code of conduct, he should rather avail himself for scrutiny rather than buying time on the matter giving the impression of his culpability on the issues raised.

Credit:http://leadership.ng/news/politics/378379/underlying-motives-behind-al-makuras-impeachment

1 Like

Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by Bunchersstab(m): 6:34am On Jul 20, 2014
Oga, i could not read all ya post due 2 d sentiments in it.
Am not a memba of any political party,all i alwaz agitate 4 is gud governance. Am not 4m Nassarawa state either.
My litu knowledge abt PDP achievements. Lafia township road,Egon water works,Abdullahi Ademu transform d education section,so many roads were constructed & rehabilitated.
wat has KURA tanko achieved so far
If he is innocent jst as u portray him let him defend himself instead of runin 2 Aso-rock.
*My advice look 4 crediblity*

4 Likes

Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by donphilopus: 6:59am On Jul 20, 2014
Bunchersstab: Oga, i could not read all ya post due 2 d sentiments in it.
Am not a memba of any political party,all i alwaz agitate 4 is gud governance. Am not 4m Nassarawa state either.
My litu knowledge abt PDP achievements. Lafia township road,Egon water works,Abdullahi Ademu transform d education section,so many roads were constructed & rehabilitated.
wat has KURA tanko achieved so far
If he is innocent jst as u portray him let him defend himself instead of runin 2 Aso-rock.
*My advice look 4 crediblity*

Guy, forget about that. If that's how good governance is being run, then I would say an impeachment notice should also be served to Gov. Idris Wada of Kogi State because he has done nothing.

Whether you accept it or not, all these impeachment saga are politically motivated!
Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by Bunchersstab(m): 7:07am On Jul 20, 2014
donphilopus:

Guy, forget about that. If that's our good governance is being run, then I would say an impeachment notice should also be served to Gov. Idris Wada of Kogi State because he has done nothing.

Whether you accept it or not, all these impeachment saga are politically motivated!
Politically motivated yes but are the governor involved innocent
My wish is 4 pipu like Wada,SuswanAkpabio etc who run errands for naija white house be impeached also.
Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by shedify: 7:12am On Jul 20, 2014
The beauty of democracy is opposition, when the PDP led adminstration wants every state to be PDP by all means...There is big trouble ooo
Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by figment232(m): 7:27am On Jul 20, 2014
I dnt knw wots all d noise is about.nobody is being arm twisted here d HOA is only performing its statutory functions.Almakura shld be bold 2defend himself against d charges brought against him.
Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by talktimi(m): 8:15am On Jul 20, 2014
donphilopus:

Guy, forget about that. If that's our good governance is being run, then I would say an impeachment notice should also be served to Gov. Idris Wada of Kogi State because he has done nothing.

its "politically motivated" because its against an APC governor but if its against one from the PDP, you will clap your hands claiming victory for democracy. The question you should ask yourself is did Al Makura mis appropriate\steal money that would have better developed his state or not ? You dont have to be a one sided saint abeg

1 Like

Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 20, 2014
Shameless liars. The PDP was not "massively" voted out in Nassarawa state in 2011. The CPC won that election with a marginal 3,885 votes [Al-Makura (CPC) scored 324,823 votes in the Nasarawa Governorship ballot to beat Doma (PDP) (320,938 votes)]
http://allafrica.com/stories/201104280445.html

Facts are sacred

3 Likes

Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by Koolmexxi(m): 9:35am On Jul 20, 2014
Sore losers... Why is there always a PDP orchestrated conspiracy theory behind every loss suffered by d APC?? It's simply politics in play jare

1 Like

Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by oduastates: 9:50am On Jul 20, 2014
Sincere9gerian: Shameless liars. The PDP was not "massively" voted out in Nassarawa state in 2011. The CPC won that election with a marginal 3,885 votes [Al-Makura (CPC) scored 324,823 votes in the Nasarawa Governorship ballot to beat Doma (PDP) (320,938 votes)]
http://allafrica.com/stories/201104280445.html

Facts are sacred
Yeah right,
PDP after deploying their rigging machinery could not defeat CPC in a state a few yards from Abuja.
This is what you call a landslide .
Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by emeka94(m): 12:31pm On Jul 20, 2014
Bunchersstab: Politically motivated yes but are the governor involved innocent
My wish is 4 pipu like Wada,SuswanAkpabio etc who run errands for naija white house be impeached also.

Are u serious asking dis question? Is any governor in Nigeria innocent of anything? Show me a corruption free governor in Nigeria and I'll show u a snow white pig
Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by emeka94(m): 12:40pm On Jul 20, 2014
talktimi: its "politically motivated" because its against an APC governor but if its against one from the PDP, you will clap your hands claiming victory for democracy. The question you should ask yourself is did Al Makura mis appropriate\steal money that would have better developed his state or not ? You dont have to be a one sided saint abeg
Of course its pure victory for democracy if a PDP governor is impeached!! Do u think that oga jona will not try to save a pdp governor facing impeachment? By the way which party is in control of the centre govt? will u in all honest deny that PDP -which is the power that be in Nigeria- is not on a political witch hunt?
Personally I honestly wish that all d governors will be impeached. I couldn't care less whether d governor is from pdp or apc because all of them are guilty!!!
Smh
Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by emeka94(m): 12:42pm On Jul 20, 2014
shedify: The beauty of democracy is opposition, when the PDP led adminstration wants every state to be PDP by all means...There is big trouble ooo

Thank you. God bless ur brain. U get beta sense cheesy
Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by mikolo80: 2:40pm On Jul 20, 2014
There are only 3qsns to be answered here. 1. Why did he not join ruling party that dominate the house. 2. Did he or did he not steal from sure p,local govt fund or not. 3. Why did he not bribe assemblymen with 30million
Re: Underlying Motives Behind Al-makura’s Impeachment by tit(f): 2:46pm On Jul 20, 2014
Good!
Let us impeach all the 36 governors!

(1) (Reply)

Aregbesola Leads Omisore In Osun Governorship Election / Ebola: Baby Suspected To Have Virus In Kwara / Oshiomhole Gives Jonathan The 'ebola Greeting'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.