Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Dinner, Drinks And Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dinner, Drinks And Religion (3738 Views)

5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix / Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? / Homosexuality And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 12:02pm On Jul 21, 2014
A dinner with friends slowly morphed into a heated conversation about the supernatural and the "power of the name Jesus", which when called could silence all demons and counter spiritual attacks. I listened as they spoke about waking up and demons holding them down in their sleep.

I listened as each from different sects of Christianity tip toed around their beliefs and selected a common enemy- the Muslim, and how deluded they were with their lack of understanding of what "true fasting" was. And how these poor deluded lovers of Allah have a veil of delusion around their eyes that stops them from reasoning and seeing the falsities in their sacred book and beliefs.

I listened, smiled and nodded appropriately. I nodded in understanding, I smiled in recognition. These I did because I understood. I too have had these thoughts, I too have stuck to my beliefs feeling lucky to have been born on "the right side" and equally lucky to have been "born again" and "under the grace" of the "new covenant with Christ".

But what they didn't see was a woman who has questioned her beliefs and sought the truth; searched through history and understood: the basis of religion, law, power and control; how wars are won and how religions are spread; how diverse the human race is and how religious supremacy is a much worse ideological cancer than racial supremacy. What they didn't see was me fighting back the urge to speak to them about these 'demons' holding them down- teach them about sleep paralysis, release them from their fear of spiritual enemies attacking them; teach them about the power of the mind, and the power of Self. Most of all was me fighting the urge to confess that I too saw them -strong intelligent women deluded with the same veil around their minds.

However all I could bring myself to do was smile and nod, and hope that someday they too would question their beliefs and come to know the truth; and thus live a life of spiritual independence and an empowerment that comes from knowing that it was -their strength that got them thought difficult times, their intelligence that got them to the height of their careers, and their mind and soul that keeps them alive.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 21, 2014

smiley
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 03, 2014
Bump
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by hungryboy(m): 1:05pm On Sep 03, 2014
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by urcutecrush(f): 9:48am On Oct 29, 2014
I can attest to this.the fact that i am female even makes it worst cos they think i shouldn't av any reasonable thought.what I fear is the future will I be able to continue under this pretense.I hope I found someone with likemind.being an atheist in this society is just when u are the only sober person in a car and nobody allows u to drive

7 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 10:11am On Oct 29, 2014
urcutecrush:
I can attest to this.the fact that i am female even makes it worst cos they think i shouldn't av any reasonable thought.what I fear is the future will I be able to continue under this pretense.I hope I found someone with likemind.being an atheist in this society is just when u are the only sober person in a car and nobody allows u to drive

I completely understand. We are in the same boat. Its worse for women in this society, you have to be a 'God fearing woman' or no one would 'respect you' and if by chance you decide to be openly vocal about your religious stance this might result in them thinking/calling you a 'witch' and you will suddeny be the cause of every 'spiritual attack' that comes their way.

Funniest part is in your analogy about the car, in a real life scenario you the atheist would be the sober one while the religious ones are drunk out of their minds. And then they sober up and try to preach to you about morality and how 'grace' covers their sins.

I too fear what the future would be like. How would I find a life partner with as much intellect and reasoning as I, how would I raise my kids, what kind of persucution/struggles my kids would go through for being/thinking different.

But I take comfort in the fact that change is constant, and the way this Age of Information is affecting our society for the better. Soon, sometime in the nearest future (I hope) society would look back at its 'primitive' thinking and laugh and learn from it. After all the world's greatest nations/societies went through their own Dark Ages, we are simply going through ours.

10 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by urcutecrush(f): 10:44am On Oct 29, 2014
rinrin23:

I too fear what the future would be like. How would I find a life partner with as much intellect and reasoning as I, how would I raise my kids, what kind of persucution/struggles my kids would go through for being/thinking different.

But I take comfort in the fact that change is constant, and the way this Age of Information is affecting our society for the better. Soon, sometime in the nearest future (I hope) society would look back at its 'primitive' thinking and laugh and learn from it. After all the world's greatest nations/societies went through their own Dark Ages, we are simply going through ours.
Truthfully i don't see this happening in the nearest future.hopefully we found our heart desires but if not cheers to many years of pretense ahead.as the case of my future children if possible i will teach them d history and science of the world they are in from early age cos i don't want anybody poisining their mind that their mother is the devil incarnate.if possible they won't take any religious study tho the choice fully lies on them.but as it is now the future looks bleak.I geuss i should stop thinking about the future and enjoy the moment cos nobody knows what the future holds.

5 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 12:38pm On Oct 29, 2014
urcutecrush:

Truthfully i don't see this happening in the nearest future.hopefully we found our heart desires but if not cheers to many years of pretense ahead.as the case of my future children if possible i will teach them d history and science of the world they are in from early age cos i don't want anybody poisining their mind that their mother is the devil incarnate.if possible they won't take any religious study tho the choice fully lies on them.but as it is now the future looks bleak.I geuss i should stop thinking about the future and enjoy the moment cos nobody knows what the future holds.

Cheers to the years of pretence and living in the present! wink

3 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by plaetton: 3:08pm On Oct 29, 2014
Hurray and big cheers for our very few, but very brave women, the saviors of our motherland from the malignant cancer of religion.

The journey will be long and your tasks would be hard.

10 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Ranchhoddas: 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2014
urcutecrush:
I know the feeling.I don't agree that absence of evidence is evidence of absence though.When one considers things like the deist idea of God,karma and ''supernatural'' occurences,declaring oneself an atheist becomes a leap of faith.Don't you think?
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by macof(m): 7:42pm On Oct 29, 2014
rinrin23:
A dinner with friends slowly morphed into a heated conversation about the supernatural and the "power of the name Jesus", which when called could silence all demons and counter spiritual attacks. I listened as they spoke about waking up and demons holding them down in their sleep.

I listened as each from different sects of Christianity tip toed around their beliefs and selected a common enemy- the Muslim, and how deluded they were with their lack of understanding of what "true fasting" was. And how these poor deluded lovers of Allah have a veil of delusion around their eyes that stops them from reasoning and seeing the falsities in their sacred book and beliefs.

I listened, smiled and nodded appropriately. I nodded in understanding, I smiled in recognition. These I did because I understood. I too have had these thoughts, I too have stuck to my beliefs feeling lucky to have been born on "the right side" and equally lucky to have been "born again" and "under the grace" of the "new covenant with Christ".

But what they didn't see was a woman who has questioned her beliefs and sought the truth; searched through history and understood: the basis of religion, law, power and control; how wars are won and how religions are spread; how diverse the human race is and how religious supremacy is a much worse ideological cancer than racial supremacy. What they didn't see was me fighting back the urge to speak to them about these 'demons' holding them down- teach them about sleep paralysis, release them from their fear of spiritual enemies attacking them; teach them about the power of the mind, and the power of Self. Most of all was me fighting the urge to confess that I too saw them -strong intelligent women deluded with the same veil around their minds.

However all I could bring myself to do was smile and nod, and hope that someday they too would question their beliefs and come to know the truth; and thus live a life of spiritual independence and an empowerment that comes from knowing that it was -their strength that got them thought difficult times, their intelligence that got them to the height of their careers, and their mind and soul that keeps them alive.

Beautiful! Just bi yu ti ful
if I could hug u right now I would

We need more brave and intelligent women like u in Africa

5 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Raiders: 8:11pm On Oct 29, 2014
rinrin23:

Cheers to the years of pretence and living in the present! wink
you shouldnt live a life of pretence as an atheist to your spouse. A husband don't don't respect your religious beliefs don't deserve to be with you. Sadly, Nigeria is a country filled with religious bigots and being an atheists is as worse as being a gay in Nigeria society. I have never really met an open female atheists in Nigeria because most are scared of discrimination from friends and family. Personally, I don't mind marrying an atheist or a theist as long as my spouse respect my religious beliefs and don't try to force her religious beliefs on me or my family.

1 Like

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Raiders: 8:27pm On Oct 29, 2014
urcutecrush:

lol. It would be very difficult to prevent your kids from learning about religion in school in Nigeria unless your kids are raised abroad or you plan to home school your kids. I remember religious study was madatory Subject from my primary 1 to my jss 3. Also you are right that you might have problem with your husband family if they are uneducated and religious fanatics because in some part of Nigeria, atheists are label as Anti-christ or Satan worshipers.

1 Like

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by plaetton: 8:55pm On Oct 29, 2014
The sooner the children are exposed to the lies and contradictions of religion, the sooner they start to ask questions and formulate critical thinking.
All a parent has to do is plant seeds of thoughts into a child, and then watch it grow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 9:14pm On Oct 29, 2014
Raiders:
you shouldnt live a life of pretence as an atheist to your spouse. A husband don't don't respect your religious beliefs don't deserve to be with you. Sadly, Nigeria is a country filled with religious bigots and being an atheists is as worse as being a gay in Nigeria society. I have never really met an open female atheists in Nigeria because most are scared of discrimination from friends and family. Personally, I don't mind marrying an atheist or a theist as long as my spouse respect my religious beliefs and don't try to force her religious beliefs on me or my family.

In most cases its not really the fear of discrimination, its the associated stress- the stress of constant arguments, stress of trying to enlighten them, stress of dealing with the many prayer warriors/prayer meetings/deliverances they would hold on your behalf, etc. I am somewhat open about my religious views and I know the stress its brought upon me, sometimes its just not worth it. I do believe what you say about marriage but the truth is the statistics are not in our favour, which is why marriage for me would be a ''miracle'' (in my 24 years of existence I have only met one somewhat irreligious man, and he happens to be married).

1 Like

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 9:17pm On Oct 29, 2014
plaetton:
The sooner the children are exposed to the lies and contradictions of religion, the sooner they start to ask questions and formulate critical thinking.
All a parent has to do is plant seeds of thoughts into a child, and then watch it grow.

My thoughts exactly. I intend to raise curious children and pass on the decades worth of knowledge my own curiosity has brought me.

3 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Raiders: 9:34pm On Oct 29, 2014
rinrin23:

In most cases its not really the fear of discrimination, its the associated stress- the stress of constant arguments, stress of trying to enlighten them, stress of dealing with the many prayer warriors/prayer meetings/deliverances they would hold on your behalf, etc. I do believe what you say about marriage but the truth is the statistics are not in our favour, which is why marriage for me would be a ''miracle''.
you are right in a way. However, I don't argue with people about my beliefs because its a waste of time. Its hard to convince someone to change his religious beliefs that he has spend his entire life believing in. When I was in university, I didn't argue with my religious friends because I knew it would not make any different. Anyway, I am the kind of guy who believe that religion beliefs is suppose to be a personal and its wrong to force someone to share your religious belief. You are also right about atheist female having it hard because Nigeria is a society where the female is suppose to convert to the religious beliefs of her husband. I seen many cases where Muslim husband force their christain wives to convert Islam and vice versa.
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 9:48pm On Oct 29, 2014
macof:

Beautiful! Just bi yu ti ful
if I could hug u right now I would

We need more brave and intelligent women like u in Africa

Thank you. We are in the minority but we will grow

4 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 9:52pm On Oct 29, 2014
Raiders:
you are right in a way. However, I don't argue with people about my beliefs because its a waste of time.Its hard to convince someone to change his religious beliefs that he has spend his entire life believing in. When I was in university, I didn't argue with my religious friends because I knew it would not make any different. Anyway, I am the kind of guy who believe that [b] religion beliefs is suppose to be a personal and its wrong to force someone to share your religious belief [/b]You are also right about atheist female having it hard because Nigeria is a society where the female is suppose to convert to the religious beliefs of her husband. I seen many cases where Muslim husband force their christain wives to convert Islam and vice versa.

I totally agree with the bolded

1 Like

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by urcutecrush(f): 10:40pm On Oct 29, 2014
Raiders:
lol. It would be very difficult to prevent your kids from learning about religion in school in Nigeria unless your kids are raised abroad or you plan to home school your kids. I remember religious study was madatory Subject from my primary 1 to my jss 3. Also you are right that you might have problem with your husband family if they are uneducated and religious fanatics because in some part of Nigeria, atheists are label as Anti-christ or Satan worshipers.
I can easily ask them not to be thaught.I know some schools allowz dis but like i said it solely depends on them and if they are taught i will personally teach them the history and dogma of religion.

Some part of Nigeria?nope its all part.Even the ones seeming not to take any stand on religion are the first to defend their religion I.e non church or mosque goers.

If they are all striped of their religion they are left with NOTHING.quite sad anyway I never thought humans can be so SHALLOW
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by urcutecrush(f): 10:58pm On Oct 29, 2014
rinrin23:

In most cases its not really the fear of discrimination, its the associated stress- the stress of constant arguments, stress of trying to enlighten them, stress of dealing with the many prayer warriors/prayer meetings/deliverances they would hold on your behalf, etc. I am somewhat open about my religious views and I know the stress its brought upon me, sometimes its just not worth it. I do believe what you say about marriage but the truth is the statistics are not in our favour, which is why marriage for me would be a ''miracle'' (in my 24 years of existence I have only met one somewhat atheist man, and he happens to be married).

What i hate to deal with most is the group dicussion on how devil has overcome my heart and the deliverance process to remove it behind my back and that expression on their eyes that they are better than me or worst of all using u to preach to a congregration dat knows nothing about u.I know it happens.
All I wish for is to open their head put all the fact there and sew it up literally.

I also was able to meet a married man who isn't an atheist,a christian and he said 'I respect ur belief no matter what they are and I won't try to change u'
How i love those words and kept them close to my heart.the sweetest words ever.

5 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by krayzieklay(m): 11:04pm On Oct 29, 2014
plaetton:
Hurray and big cheers for our very few, but very brave women, the saviors of our motherland from the malignant cancer of religion.

The journey will be long and your tasks would be hard.
Lol.. You can say(write) that again,Plaetton. Seriously, you ladies just made my day. I never knew there were female atheists in this country. Btw @ rinrin23,I thought you live outside Nigeria.
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 8:29am On Oct 30, 2014
krayzieklay:

Lol.. You can say(write) that again,Plaetton. Seriously, you ladies just made my day. I never knew there were female atheists in this country. Btw @ rinrin23,I thought you live outside Nigeria.

Why did you think that?
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by krayzieklay(m): 8:42am On Oct 30, 2014
rinrin23:

Why did you think that?
Well,most female atheists and agnostics I have come acrossed with on this forum are based abroad,so I assumed you were too...
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 30, 2014
rinrin23:

I completely understand. We are in the same boat. Its worse for women in this society, you have to be a 'God fearing woman' or no one would 'respect you' and if by chance you decide to be openly vocal about your religious stance this might result in them thinking/calling you a 'witch' and you will suddeny be the cause of every 'spiritual attack' that comes their way.

Funniest part is in your analogy about the car, in a real life scenario you the atheist would be the sober one while the religious ones are drunk out of their minds. And then they sober up and try to preach to you about morality and how 'grace' covers their sins.

Good to know you're single. I'm single too cheesy
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 30, 2014
My cousin recently told me how amazed he was to find out through nairaland there are several atheists in Nigeria.

In his own words, " Orisirisi, so, someone in his right senses will one day wake up and claim to be an atheist."

Unknown to him, his own sweet cousin is an atheist on same nairaland cheesy who just like the OP has learnt to fight the urge to speak.
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 4:59pm On Oct 30, 2014
rationalmind:
My cousin recently told me how amazed he was to find out through nairaland there are several atheists in Nigeria.

In his own words, " Orisirisi, so, someone in his right senses will one day wake up and claim to be an atheist."

Unknown to him, his own sweet cousin is an atheist on same nairaland cheesy who just like the OP has learnt to fight the urge to speak.

Those kind of statements are the ones that break my silence! We need to fight the urge 'to not speak/stay silent'. Its tough though. There are a lot of us in this society but if we are not open about it we would never know (ref: the picture below)

1 Like

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 30, 2014
rinrin23:

Those kind of statements are the ones that break my silence! We need to fight the urge 'to not speak/stay silent'. Its tough though. There are a lot of us in this society but if we are not open about it we would never know (ref: the picture below)

Aptly said.
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Nobody: 11:15pm On Oct 30, 2014
It is good for one to have confidence in oneslf and to know that one is capable of achieving anything but the spiritual realities of Good and Evil must still be taken into consideration.
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by ghostofsparta(m): 12:57am On Oct 31, 2014
rinrin23:

Hi there, I can relate to the sort of angst those brainwashed ignoramuss furrowed in you, I go through it almost everyday. Believe me when I say everyday. I know the feeling. In my restive bid to enlighten fellow youths whenever at every opportunity they needlessly make references or draw comparison to passages from either of the Abrahamic religions I have had countless,heated arguments with religionists here in Yorubaland such that I am always awestruck at the degree to which their mindset is irredeemable. Recently, two friends of mine were all having this argument about our indigenous believe system is appropriate and suitable to our lifestyle here in our society rather than the Jewish method of approaching things here such that it careened over various issues until it resorted into a twist. This happened last week. I asked the so self-believed Christian friend that isn't Shango greater than Jesus considering so, so and so points, to which he repeatedly yelled Jesus is far more powerful than Shango, despite before that moment we've shared our experiences on various matters relating to our ancestral believe system, in fact he's from a one of those Yoruba town where Shango is their major deity among the Yoruba pantheon. The vehemence at which he claimed the supremacy of the Jewish prophet over those of his so much angered the third friend that he reacted by gesticulating his left hand violently saying "Why you go dey tok like this?", his hand upon hitting the edge of my laptop got the screen cracked immediately. Minutes later, he kept saying, initially as a joke then later as something he believed that it is Jesus Christ whom I and the other friend refuse to accept that responded as such as to impress on us his powers. As he continued stating his delusion from time to time, I couldn't help but to ask him why did Jesus saw it fit not to answered my prayer back then when I prayed to him and why can't he attend to those Boko Haram captives who would really use his help, instead it is me he feels worthy of convincing of his powers? He said, those ones in their heart don't pray to him, that it is only when they're in danger that they remember Jesus and he doen't work that way. I asked how does he know they aren't even more close to their Lord Jesus, son of Jehovah than him? As ususal...he digressed the answer to that question away. Yesterday, afternoon he brought in another old friend of his whom after talking about some books ended up arguing over Christianity again......to which I eventually had to let him know to keep his religion beliefs to his personal life rather than coming to condemn me for not accepting his views on how scientists and us pagans are the ones responsible for the evil in this world. This is what I go through from time to time. I can relate to your bottled up feelings of intense disapproval as their barrage of falsehood unease you.
Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by Nobody: 2:48am On Oct 31, 2014
Being an atheist is probably a very daunting task in Nigeria especially when your whole family are religious fanatics , I have been ostracized and degraded. If I were you I'll keep my beliefs to myself and live life one day at a time.

3 Likes

Re: Dinner, Drinks And Religion by rinrin23(f): 10:44am On Oct 31, 2014
ghostofsparta:

Hi there, I can relate to the sort of angst those brainwashed ignoramuss furrowed in you, I go through it almost everyday. Believe me when I say everyday. I know the feeling. In my restive bid to enlighten fellow youths whenever at every opportunity they needlessly make references or draw comparison to passages from either of the Abrahamic religions I have had countless,heated arguments with religionists here in Yorubaland such that I am always awestruck at the degree to which their mindset is irredeemable. Recently, two friends of mine were all having this argument about our indigenous believe system is appropriate and suitable to our lifestyle here in our society rather than the Jewish method of approaching things here such that it careened over various issues until it resorted into a twist. This happened last week. I asked the so self-believed Christian friend that isn't Shango greater than Jesus considering so, so and so points, to which he repeatedly yelled Jesus is far more powerful than Shango, despite before that moment we've shared our experiences on various matters relating to our ancestral believe system, in fact he's from a one of those Yoruba town where Shango is their major deity among the Yoruba pantheon. The vehemence at which he claimed the supremacy of the Jewish prophet over those of his so much angered the third friend that he reacted by gesticulating his left hand violently saying "Why you go dey tok like this?", his hand upon hitting the edge of my laptop got the screen cracked immediately. Minutes later, he kept saying, initially as a joke then later as something he believed that it is Jesus Christ whom I and the other friend refuse to accept that responded as such as to impress on us his powers. As he continued stating his delusion from time to time, I couldn't help but to ask him why did Jesus saw it fit not to answered my prayer back then when I prayed to him and why can't he attend to those Boko Haram captives who would really use his help, instead it is me he feels worthy of convincing of his powers? He said, those ones in their heart don't pray to him, that it is only when they're in danger that they remember Jesus and he doen't work that way. I asked how does he know they aren't even more close to their Lord Jesus, son of Jehovah than him? As ususal...he digressed the answer to that question away. Yesterday, afternoon he brought in another old friend of his whom after talking about some books ended up arguing over Christianity again......to which I eventually had to let him know to keep his religion beliefs to his personal life rather than coming to condemn me for not accepting his views on how scientists and us pagans are the ones responsible for the evil in this world. This is what I go through from time to time. I can relate to your bottled up feelings of intense disapproval as their barrage of falsehood unease you.

The delusion is so deeply rooted from years and years of twisted scriptures, false testimonies, false prophets and false religion. The average person would take a cracked laptop as a show of God's power over a death of a loved one from a disease that same God refused to cure or the Chibok girls that haven't returned. Although my knowledge on African Traditional religion is little, I would rather see Nigerians fighting/defending them over foreign gods.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does The Bible Say About Homosexuality? Is Homosexuality A Sin? / Ibeji Orisa, Itan, Ebos (sacrifices) And Incantations / Fun Game For Everyone! Come Laugh At Other Religions. Who Wins?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.