Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,177 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari (2059 Views)

PDP Releases Press Statement On AIT Ban, Says It's Dangerous For Democracy / Jonathan’s Attempt To Woo Yoruba, Too Late – Afenifere / Four-yr-old Twins Suffocate To Death Inside Car In Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by fkaz(m): 9:20pm On Jul 21, 2014
Former Nigerian Head of State General Muhammadu Buhari has urged President Goodluck Jonathan to pull the brakes on his administration’s runaway train of impunity in the interest of Nigeria’s survival and the sustenance of the nation’s democracy.

In a statement issued in Kaduna on Sunday, General Buhari said the recent induced impeachment or threats of impeachment of governors of opposition states, just to decapitate the opposition, does not augur well for the survival of a fragile nation like Nigeria or the survival of its tenderfoot democracy.

He said the developments in the polity have become an unwelcome distraction for the nation’s ongoing survival battle against the terror group Boko Haram, which has put Nigeria on the tenterhooks, with innocent citizens being daily mowed down at the times and places of the group’s chosen and over 200 school girls spending their fourth month in precarious captivity.

“Whether or not President Goodluck Jonathan is behind the gale of impeachment or the utilization of desperate tactics to suffocate the opposition and turn Nigeria into a one-party state, what cannot be denied is that they are happening under his watch, and he cannot pretend not to know, since that will be akin to hiding behind one finger.

“In my capacity as an elder statesman, rather than a politician, I have spoken to President Jonathan in private over these issues, but indications are that the strategy has not yielded positive fruits.

I cannot, just because I am an opposition politician, fail to do what is expected of me as an elder statesman to help rescue our nation in times of great trouble and palpable uncertainty.

“History will not be kind to me if I sit back while things turn bad, just so that no one will accuse me of partisanship. Yes, I am a politician. Yes, I am in the opposition.

Yes, there is the tendency for my statement to be misconstrued as that of a politician rather than a statesman. But I owe it as matter of duty and honour, and in the interest of our nation, to speak out on the dangerous trajectory that our nation is heading.

“I can say, in all sincerity, that I have seen it all, as an ordinary citizen, a military officer, a head of state, a man who has occupied many other sensitive posts and a politician. I have been a close participant and witness to Nigeria’s political history.

“Our country has gone through several rough patches, but never before have I seen a Nigerian President declare war on his own country as we are seeing now.

Never before have I seen a Nigerian President deploy federal institutions in the service of partisanship as we are witnessing now. Never before have I seen a Nigerian President utilize the common wealth to subvert the system and punish the opposition, all in the name of politics.

Our nation has suffered serious consequences in the past for egregious acts that are not even close to what we are seeing now. It is time to pull the brakes,” Buhari warned.

He advised President Jonathan to tarry a while, take a deep
breath and ponder the impact of recent events in the polity, under his watch, on the survival of the nation and the sustenance of its democracy.

The former Head of State said subverting the Constitution of the Federal Republic in the desperation to impeach a state Governor or deploying the institutions of state, some of which are symbols of the country’s unity, just to kick an out-of-favour state Governor in the groin can only breed anarchy and lead the nation down the slippery slope to perdition.

“The dangerous clouds are beginning to gather and the vultures are circling, and these have manifested in Nasarawa where the ordinary people have defied guns and tanks to protest the plan to impeach Gov. Umaru Tanko Al-Makura in a repeat of the bitter medicine forced down the throat of Gov. Murtala Nyako.

“The people’s protest in Nasarawa is a sign of what to come if the federal authorities continue to target opposition state Governors for impeachment. In the long run, the impeachment weapon will be blunted. Positions will become more hardened on both sides and Nigeria and Nigerians will become the victims of arrested governance and possible anarchy,” he said.

Buhari said Jonathan should also remember that no democracy can thrive or survive without a virile opposition, hence it will amount to a man cutting his nose to spite his face for anyone to embark on a journey to decapitate the opposition, as the current central government is doing, adding that, a man of power must realize that he cannot always do things just because he could do them.

“I, along with many other patriotic Nigerians, fought for the unity and survival of this country. Hundreds of patriotic souls perished in the battle to keep Nigeria one. The blood of many of our compatriots helped to water the birth of the democracy we are all enjoying today.

“Let no one, whether the leader or the led, the high or the low, a member of the ruling or the opposition do anything to torpedo the system.

Let no one, whether on the altar of personal ambition or pretension to higher patriotic tendencies, do anything that can detonate the keg of gunpowder on which the nation is sitting. It is time for all concerned to spare a thought for the ordinary citizens who have yet to see their hopes, dreams and aspirations come to reality, within the general context of nationhood,” he said.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/07/21/jonathans-attempt-to-suffocate-opposition-not-good-for-democracy-buhari/

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
Buhari's attempt to Islamize Nigeria is not good for Democracy.

next!

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by courage89(m): 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2014
Bros,...why not kill the message instead of the messenger.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by atlwireles: 9:32pm On Jul 21, 2014
This is the same fellow, that dared any Nigerian living or dead to oppose his 18 months of hell on earth.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by ratiken(m): 9:32pm On Jul 21, 2014
Healthy opposition is always welcome which was the reason GEJ gave APC the benefit of doubt with his long silence.

But when you play negative politics, constantly bashing the office of the presidency, criticize every FG move without proffering any tangible solution, inciting the public against the govt, promote violence through pronouncements and statements. Such opposition can easily throw a country into anarchy.

Even the holy book says 'suffer not a witch to live'. All APC have practiced so far is pure witchcraft and evily more. They have to be dealt with both by the FG but more by the nigerian masses using their votes.

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by bokohalal(m): 9:37pm On Jul 21, 2014
Only the myopic does not realize that there will be repercussions in the future if the PDP, whether supported by the Presidency or not, continues to emasculate the opposition.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by fkaz(m): 9:39pm On Jul 21, 2014
Billyonaire: Buhari's attempt to Islamize Nigeria is not good for Democracy.

next!

Here they come, can anybody force you to convert to islam?

bigots

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 21, 2014
ratiken: Healthy opposition is always welcome which was the reason GEJ gave APC the benefit of doubt with his long silence.

But when you play negative politics, constantly bashing the office of the presidency, criticize every FG move without proffering any tangible solution, inciting the public against the govt, promote violence through pronouncements and statements. Such opposition can easily throw a country into anarchy.

Even the holy book says 'suffer not a witch to live'. All APC have practiced so far is pure witchcraft and evily more. They have to be dealt with both by the FG but more by the nigerian masses using their votes.

What Buhari fails to understand is that, these selfish Governors were elected on the platform of PDP and then towards the end of their career they wanted to throw the state's structure into the hands of the opposition. I see these governors as cowards and I have no pity for them...
If this was in Russia, I trust what Putin would have done to them.... #saynomore

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by koboko69: 9:46pm On Jul 21, 2014
atlwireles: This is the same fellow, that dared any Nigerian living or dead to oppose his 18 months of hell on earth.

Buhari is admired by many for his uprightness and stand against corruption. His government is revered for its ability to keep the country afloat by making progress through sheer economic ingenuity even when it rejected IMF loan and refused to adopt IMF conditionalities to devalue the Naira.His government is praised for its gain in reducing inflation by refusing to devalue the nation's currency, the Nigerian Naira, curbing imports of needless goods, curtailing oil theft and using counter trade policy to barter seized illegally bunkered crude oil for needful goods like machineries, enabling it to export above its OPEC quota.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 21, 2014
fkaz:

bigots
don't mind the hypocrite and religious bigot! Anu ofia!

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by azimibraun: 9:49pm On Jul 21, 2014
This to me is an open letter to GEj and Nigerians, first it was OBJ now its Buhar telling Nigerians they speak to GEJ behind on how things could work but GEJ never listens. Whatever it is? I think Buihari, Babangida, OBJ, Gowon, Abdulsalam, Pat Utomi, Obi Ezekwesili, Femi Flalana, Wole Soyinka, and a few other Nigerians are clearly in a position to advice GEJ. He can't tell me all these people don't have an atom of love for fatherland. GEJ will self destruct o! Gaddafi, Sadam, Morsi, Mubarak, samuel doe, charles taylor, Mobutu all had suppoters as GEJ has now before their downfall. Absolute powers corrupt absolutely and there is a price tag. I jst hope bush meat no go turn hunter na advice o!n

12 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by talktimi(m): 9:50pm On Jul 21, 2014
The supporters of APC prefer a docile Gej who they can insult and threaten at will, hiding under the guise of opposition/freedom of speech. Buhari should ask his thieving paedophile governors if they stole the peoples money or not. Or does his famed "integrity" have limits ? (obviously it does else he wouldnt be hanging out with Tinubu)

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by shedify: 9:56pm On Jul 21, 2014
Nice one buhari. The beauty of democracy is opposition, d last time I check we are in democracy not dictatorship......

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by patrickmuf(m): 9:57pm On Jul 21, 2014
Wonder how someone who claims to be billionaire can be so foolish...Well it's only on the internet and especially nairaland you see such...

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by psucc(m): 10:00pm On Jul 21, 2014
fkaz:

bigots
What happens to the convert or die threat all over the Islamic nations. We must be objective and if Nigeria must work, every aspects of freedom including worship must be guaranteed.

Though I hold no brief for the Presidency, the way and manner we are taunting the President is making him more popular by the day. How powerful is GEJ that he incites every bit of evil and yet clueless and daft(according to APC).

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by fkaz(m): 10:00pm On Jul 21, 2014
ratiken: Healthy opposition is always welcome which was the reason GEJ gave APC the benefit of doubt with his long silence.

Are you saying APC as a party has never proffer any solution to boko haram menace, which federal government had failed to act on or what?

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by azimibraun: 10:00pm On Jul 21, 2014
gej is a puppet on a nagative string. its hard to explain but the deep thinkers will understand. when a president is a tool in the hands of evil people, its worse than having a president who is the evil himself. OBj was seen as evil and Gej is a tool in the evil men's hand. Gej will do more damage thAn OBj. OBj cldnt have identified more enemies as Gej's handler would. A team player gets more results than a soloist. Obj ws the soloist, gej is the eveil team player.

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by ayusco85(m): 10:08pm On Jul 21, 2014
Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by ola6: 10:09pm On Jul 21, 2014
Old man, pls go and sit down, and enjoy your loot stolen while in government. You are a coup plotter, an extremist and a free rider, yes, you are riding on Idiagbon's work NOT your work.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by azimibraun: 10:10pm On Jul 21, 2014
By the time all APc governors are impeached or muscled out of power do you guys think its every member of the APC that will go back and say " No wahala". Its either they fight back vioently or the PDP who muscle them out, will begin to fight themselves and forget governance. This impeach impeach will only make nigerians sympathize with the APC. I knw my people. Must we have a single party? What is wrong in havin an opposition? APC governors are all involved in gross misconduct and no Pdp governor is tied to gross misconduct haba! Can all dis house of assembly members account for their stupendous and extravagant lifestyle? All the cars and houses.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by worthytalk: 10:10pm On Jul 21, 2014
cry cry general.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by azimibraun: 10:13pm On Jul 21, 2014
GEj will soon make Nigerians start showing Buhari Love.

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by Clerverly: 10:14pm On Jul 21, 2014
I Pity jonathan, sincere9igerian And Ndigbo!

Una go regret very very soon!

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by Clerverly: 10:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
ola6: Old man, pls go and sit down, and enjoy your loot stolen while in government. You are a coup plotter, an extremist and a free rider, yes, you are riding on Idiagbon's work NOT your work.

Another foolish mumu, who doesn't know his left from the right! Must you comment?

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by fkaz(m): 10:20pm On Jul 21, 2014
psucc:
What happens to the convert or die threat all over the Islamic nations. We must be objective and if Nigeria must work, every aspects of freedom including worship must be guaranteed.

Though I hold no brief for the Presidency, the way and manner we are taunting the President is making him more popular by the day. How powerful is GEJ that he incites every bit of evil and yet clueless and daft(according to APC).

You have to tell me what has happen to convert or die, because i don't know where you get that from, apart from iraq terrorist(ISI) where the Christian are now protecting them self with arms.
BTW can you espatiate on how Buhari tend to Islamise nigeria?
And to say jonathan is getting popular is also funny, jonathan is only popular for negative things my brother.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 21, 2014
I just watched an interview on the acting governor of Adamawa state saying the stolen mandate by APC from PDP has been recovered.

So the impeachment of Nyako was all about recovering mandate and not even alleged corruption against him? The fool just exposed the criminal act by PDP to get back Adamawa through an impeachment.

Nonsense!! angry

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by BekeeBuAgbara: 10:25pm On Jul 21, 2014
fkaz:

Here they come, can anybody force you to convert to islam ?

bigots
Did you type this? shocked shocked
Re: Jonathan’s Attempt To Suffocate Opposition Not Good For Democracy – Buhari by fkaz(m): 10:31pm On Jul 21, 2014
BekeeBuAgbara: Did you type this?

Are you a citizen of this country or did you know how the country nigeria come to been?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Beautiful Roads In Aba State / Opinion: Re: Ihejirika-gate And Journalism In Nigeria / Should We Divide This Country Called Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.