Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,207 members, 7,829,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? (1234 Views)

List Of Freely Available And Downloadable Programming Books From The Internet / What App/Software Will You Love To Have But Can't Afford? / Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by davidsmith8900: 5:59am On Jul 23, 2014
According To This Link ~> http://www.internetworldstats.com/af/ng.htm

Back In 2011, Only 28.5% of the population use the internet. I recently did a google search and only 32.6% are on the internet. Is that Nigerians, want to be on the internet and they can't afford it? Or they dont find it useful? Or is the internet just so bad that some people have given up on it?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by tempem: 6:07am On Jul 23, 2014
davidsmith8900: According To This Link ~> http://www.internetworldstats.com/af/ng.htm

Back In 2011, Only 28.5% of the population use the internet. I recently did a google search and only 32.6% are on the internet. Is that Nigerians, want to be on the internet and they can't afford it? Or they dont find it useful? Or is the internet just so bad that some people have given up on it?
I don't think this is factual... 'cause with the era of Techno and other chinese brands, peeps surfs the 'net more frequent.

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by emmyw(m): 6:09am On Jul 23, 2014
For real?

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 6:17am On Jul 23, 2014
tempem:
I don't think this is factual... 'cause with the era of Techno and other chinese brands, peeps surfs the 'net more frequent.

Thank you for your reply but how frequently? Nairaland has a max of about 5,000 online daily. Also if people are surfing the net, where are they going? What apps are they using? What do they go on the net for?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 6:18am On Jul 23, 2014
emmyw: For real?

What part? The numbers or question?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by tempem: 6:21am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

Thank you for your reply but how frequently? Nairaland has a max of about 5,000 online daily. Also if people are surfing the net, where are they going? What apps are they using? What do they go on the net for?
What's the target?
I mean basis for surfing the internet.

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 6:23am On Jul 23, 2014
tempem:
What's the target?
I mean basis for surfing the internet.

The target, as in what apps? Like when I got to the internet, I use google to get information and Nairaland to chat or communicate with others. Apart from Facebook, Google & Nairaland & News, what other things do many go online for?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by psucc(m): 6:27am On Jul 23, 2014
OP pls kindly confirm your fact cos it may still be that of 2011 or a %tage of those visiting Google.

The number of our students alone using Facebook, 2go is alarming except these two are not counted as part of the Internet.
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by emmyw(m): 6:28am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

What part? The numbers or question?
The number.

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 6:29am On Jul 23, 2014
emmyw: The number.

Oh yeah. Do u think its too low or too high? I think its too low. Personally I think most people surf about once a month, because it is expensive. Or how do u feel?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by tempem: 6:32am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

The target, as in what apps? Like when I got to the internet, I use google to get information and Nairaland to chat or communicate with others. Apart from Facebook, Google & Nairaland & News, what other things do many go online for?
So whatelse do you need?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by psucc(m): 6:33am On Jul 23, 2014
OP pls kindly confirm your fact cos it may still be that of 2011 or a %tage of those visiting Google.

The number of our students alone using Facebook, 2go is alarming except these two are not counted as part of the Internet.

Pls help promote us where we pass.
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by emmyw(m): 6:33am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

Oh yeah. Do u think its too low or too high? I think its too low. Personally I think most people surf about once a month, because it is expensive. Or how do u feel?
Its too low bro,may be with time they will increase but i don't know why Nigeria dull in everything except scaming? A nigerian nearly scam me on facebook.smh.

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 6:35am On Jul 23, 2014
emmyw: Its too low bro,may be with time they will increase but i don't know why Nigeria dull in everything except scaming? A nigerian nearly scam me on facebook.smh.

Thats sad. I hope that he/she didnt get you sha.
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by emmyw(m): 6:38am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

Thats sad. I hope that he/she didnt get you sha.
No, he was trying to do what i know its a scam,he thought am a fool,he didn't check well before approaching me.

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 6:39am On Jul 23, 2014
emmyw: No, he was trying to do what i know its a scam,he thought am a fool,he didn't check well before approaching me.

Lwkmd. Nice 1.

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by emmyw(m): 6:47am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

Lwkmd. Nice 1.
Yea bro.

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by sseunth(m): 7:30am On Jul 23, 2014
the truth is that we dont really surf the net like checking google and other sites that are beneficiary....w3 dont surf net from what we ll benefit from....but you dont wanna know the precentage of people using BBM, TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND WHATSAPP

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 9:02am On Jul 23, 2014
sseunth: the truth is that we dont really surf the net like checking google and other sites that are beneficiary....w3 dont surf net from what we ll benefit from....but you dont wanna know the precentage of people using BBM, TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND WHATSAPP

So basically the internet is a means of communication for users then? Like BBM, Twitter, Facebook & Whatsapp, is just for communication means?
But why dont most of us surf the net for beneficiary reasons? Things that will help or benefit us?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by sseunth(m): 9:11am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

So basically the internet is a means of communication for users then? Like BBM, Twitter, Facebook & Whatsapp, is just for communication means?
But why dont most of us surf the net for beneficiary reasons? Things that will help or benefit us?
for naija users..we are using the internet to catch fun and communicate...mst especially getting new dates....we are not ready to learn in nigeria...we are not ready to make a change...and to me that is why some things will never change like the level of unemployment and poverty. even the big companies we have in nigeria, how many of them are making use of the internet?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by sseunth(m): 9:14am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

and then most people have spoilt the internet...we dont believe in it as the way out. there are alot of scammers on the internet.

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 9:20am On Jul 23, 2014
sseunth: and then most people have spoilt the internet...we dont believe in it as the way out. there are alot of scammers on the internet.

What do you mean "have spoilt the internet"? There are scammers everywhere. Where do you meet these scammers? Facebook? Gmail? CraigsList? Its not like you are looking for scammers, right? You just have to avoid them.
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by sseunth(m): 9:24am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

What do you mean "have spoilt the internet"? There are scammers everywhere. Where do you meet these scammers? Facebook? Gmail? CraigsList? Its not like you are looking for scammers, right? You just have to avoid them.
do you think you can avoid them?

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 9:27am On Jul 23, 2014
sseunth: do you think you can avoid them?

Yes I avoid them everyday. Can't you avoid them? Where do u usually meet scammers on the internet, so that I can advise you on how to stay safe and avoid them.
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by sseunth(m): 9:30am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

Yes I avoid them everyday. Can't you avoid them? Where do u usually meet scammers on the internet, so that I can advise you on how to stay safe and avoid them.
any popular site you can think of. mst especially facebook..yahoo and gmail

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 9:33am On Jul 23, 2014
sseunth: any popular site you can think of. mst especially facebook..yahoo and gmail

When you say scammers, I pray and hope u dont mean advertisers? They are different. Well anyway for facebook, I only look at my friends network or chat with my friends. Yes people send me messages on facebook, yahoo and gmail, but most of the time I see them in the spam box and automatically delete it.
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by sseunth(m): 9:40am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

When you say scammers, I pray and hope u dont mean advertisers? They are different. Well anyway for facebook, I only look at my friends network or chat with my friends. Yes people send me messages on facebook, yahoo and gmail, but most of the time I see them in the spam box and automatically delete it.
i mean scammers not advertisers. anyways most nigerians dont think of tomorrow...presently i am looking for people that i share same dreams with...but nowhere to be found all because they wanna enjoy today and tomorrow will solve itself

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 9:44am On Jul 23, 2014
sseunth: i mean scammers not advertisers. anyways most nigerians dont think of tomorrow...presently i am looking for people that i share same dreams with...but nowhere to be found all because they wanna enjoy today and tomorrow will solve itself

I love your inspiration and motivation but I need you to be more clear. You're speaking in metaphors and parables and I dont seem to understand. What are you trying to say?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by sseunth(m): 9:51am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

I love your inspiration and motivation but I need you to be more clear. You're speaking in metaphors and parables and I dont seem to understand. What are you trying to say?
funny....this is it...i have it in mind that never will i work under sum1 after my education..as in i wanna invest mysef...i have bin lookin for people with the same dream so that we can form a TEAM (together everyone achieves more) through the internet but they are just discouraging like telling me to have the fun to the fullest today that tomao will solve itself...to me..i use internet to get new ideas....but i am yet to see someone like me sha

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 10:00am On Jul 23, 2014
sseunth: funny....this is it...i have it in mind that never will i work under sum1 after my education..as in i wanna invest mysef...i have bin lookin for people with the same dream so that we can form a TEAM (together everyone achieves more) through the internet but they are just discouraging like telling me to have the fun to the fullest today that tomao will solve itself...to me..i use internet to get new ideas....but i am yet to see someone like me sha

What are you trying to do? What are your goals and milestonies?
Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by sseunth(m): 10:10am On Jul 23, 2014
naijatechworld:

What are you trying to do? What are your goals and milestonies?
well..i jst wanna change sometins in nigeria...wanna prove the motherfuckers wrong that nigeria can be a better place...etc

1 Like

Re: Is It That Most Nigerians Can't Afford The Internet Or They Dont Want It? by naijatechworld: 10:39am On Jul 23, 2014
sseunth: well..i jst wanna change sometins in nigeria...wanna prove the motherfuckers wrong that nigeria can be a better place...etc

That I understand, but in what area? Politics? Art? Music? Programming? You're speaking abstractly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need Help With Matlab Programming / See This Facebook Robot Software / Python Projects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.