Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,542 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? (974 Views)

"Imagine That" By Styl-Plus / P-square vs Styl-Plus / Styl Plus: What's Happening? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by deebarca: 11:55am On Oct 13, 2008
can anybody tell me what is going on with STYLPLUS? i am dissapionted with their last album, what's wrong with them?
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by geolabious(m): 7:42pm On Oct 14, 2008
deebarca:

can anybody tell me what is going on with STYLPLUS? i am dissapionted with their last album, what's wrong with them?
[size=13pt]Why is it that u also look for their mistake[/size]
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by shotster50(m): 12:42am On Oct 17, 2008
For some wierd reason, the term, 'One hit wonders' refuses to leave my mind.
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by maedan(f): 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2008
What's wrong with them? Hmm'n, poor packaging, no decent choreography, shoddy producing. They need to expand and stop using friends to do everything. This is showbiz, they need professionalism. That said, those boys can SING.
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by A40(m): 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2008
They have always been whack from the very beginning i have never been a fan so i am not really suprised their songs are too damned commercial and watered-down no variety to their music whatsoever.They have nice voices don't get me wrong but they are using those voices wrong
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by tjadeba(m): 4:54pm On Oct 17, 2008
maedan:

What's wrong with them? Hmm'n, poor packaging, no decent choreography, shoddy producing. They need to expand and stop using friends to do everything. This is showbiz, they need professionalism. That said, those boys can SING.
i feel so too, too poor production and i feel they/their producers are too lazy.there wasnt any touch of professionalism in their last album, from the songs to the packaging of the CD sleeve.all the rave reviews that D'banj ,9ce n co are getting is as a result of hardwork and nothing more(maybe proper marketin/promotion)
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by spicy007(f): 5:44pm On Oct 17, 2008
hey, i love those guys. they have talent and i still do have a maddening crush on the guy named ZEAL kiss
and their single, "Nobody go Solo" isnt soo bad, its just that the current influx of interesting artistes in the industry kinda pushed them to the backstage.

ideally, there arent expected to be releasing songs every 3 months, so let them have their break.

P.S: abeg if u have Zeal's contact, i no mind ooo
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by maedan(f): 1:55pm On Oct 21, 2008
OMG- Zeal? Gosh, I want him too! I mean, ahem, I want him to do something solo, maybe just one single. With a good song, a good producer and a good video, he'll be a smash! And he can always go back to the group when he's done. Hey, Sisquo did it. smiley
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 21, 2008
Zeal?

maedan:

Yup, I agree.
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by Emad(f): 10:04am On Oct 22, 2008
I think their story is the one we all know " many hands do light work, but then too many cooks spoil the broth "

they have set up a brotherhood not a business they are living with the consequences of their decision
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by YeWendy1(f): 12:37pm On Oct 22, 2008
Too bad for em,
I think their music is still sorta good, in a way,
But they need something to spice up.
Brotherhood is good, but it shouldn't get in the way of what they do, Music is their lives right?
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by busygirl(f): 12:38pm On Oct 22, 2008
awww. no matter what, i have got unconditional love kiss kiss for styl-plus, i really love the way they have stood by each other. .recently,I heard that shifi and zeal are planning to get married soon, but tunde isn't thinking about marriage yet. from pm news online. congrats to shifi and zeal, although my heart hurts a bit, because . . .i love shifi! grin grin grin
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by mbulela: 2:16pm On Oct 22, 2008
BELOW IS AN ARTICLE WRITTEN BY AYENI THE GREAT. NAIJA'S FOREMOST SHOWBIZ WRITER, A FEW WEEKS BACK.

I first met Tunde Akinsanmi on a quiet, uneventful evening in Lagos around 2003. His childhood friend Bayo Omisore who was one of my closest friends had arranged for us to meet because in his (Bayo’s) words, Tunde needed to know one or two things about the haphazard music industry; having been trying desperately to break-in, without luck.

So we met very briefly at Ayo Animashaun’s house, exchanged ideas, contacts, and a lil’ info.

That was the last I heard of the ambitious young man. Almost a year later, I started hearing about STYL Plus. After wondering why there was so much ado about the group, I heard their first offering: Olufunmi, and immediately became a fan. The R&B group brought a new, even exciting dimension to the genre in Nigeria, making them thrive where many had fallen, and instantly making them the darlings of fans and critics.

Like many Christians who had found Christ; who were already converted and consumed with the passion to win more souls, I preached the gospel of STYL Plus like I was paid to. I listened to their music like it was going out of fashion, and I told who ever cared to listen that music now had a new name: STYL Plus. Fortunately for me and many others, music isn’t like religion where you have to worship one god and discard the other. So I still rocked Plantashun Boiz while trying to make up my mind whether or not the trio of Faze, 2face and Blackface would have a future after STYL Plus.

One day, I placed a called to Bayo Omisore and after talking about girls, work, mode 9, girls and more girls, he told me of how Tunde had gone on to hug fame and fortune, as one of the three singers that make up STYL Plus. As someone who had seen artistes transform from nonentities to superstars, I was glad for the singer and his friends. I was reminded again, of the power of dreams and I told myself I must dream harder.

But I was also scared. Every success comes with some level of responsibility, and I wondered if the trio would be ready to take the bull by its horn. But as a fan, it is usually difficult to see your star’s imperfections. I was in love with STYL Plus. Nothing else mattered. As far as I was concerned, the boys had become the R in R&B, anyone who didn’t like that could go and eat ‘spaghetti’.

My little niece Temitayo was with me in the evangelism. A young, impressionable girl, she not only liked STYL Plus’ music, she was in ‘love’ with Tunde and the more she tried to hide it, the more obvious it became.

But now, almost five years after, I doubt if she still feels the same way. Just like me, she has found a new ‘crush’, a new obsession; she has fallen in love with a new ’sound’. The reasons are obvious. A lot has happened to us, the fans. our tastes have changed. We are more aware, we have more choices to pick from now, and we have grown. But my darling trio, have they grown with us or ahead of us? I’m afraid no.

Staying put in Abuja, where they operate with their managers TJazz and Joey, the boys have failed to capitalise on earlier opportunities, they’ve failed to renew pact with fans. They are no longer hungry! At a time when they should have moved over to Lagos, in order to be closer to promoters, corporate bodies, mainstream media and music industry professionals, STYL Plus remained in Abuja. It didn’t matter to them that D’banj left London to slug it out in Lagos; Psquare left Jos to make home in Lagos and Mode 9 abandoned Abuja when he realised Lagos was where it was all happening. Since STYL Plus first made their first hit, over 20 artistes have left different world cities to make homes in Lagos. Many of them, including Weird MC, Kween, D’Banj, Psquare and Mode 9 have gone one to establish successful careers while staying in the city regarded by many as the headquarters of music in Nigeria.

The boys not only remained stubbornly in Abuja, the headquarters of politics; they started churning out badly conceptualised, badly directed videos that did little to enhance their status. Fans and friends were worried; and many tried to step in. but nothing changed. Two albums after, and a couple of lack-lustre videos too, STYL Plus remained unreachable, unavailable and high- up- there. With near-zero media mentions, total absence on the social circuit, and no banging new music to speak for them, the once-upon-a-time R&B saviours soon went into relegation, taking the reserve seat while the likes of Psquare, Faze, 2face, and 9ice reigned supreme.

Now, just like Eedris Abdulkareem, the boys appear to be realising their folly, and are making efforts to return to the centre stage. Unfortunately, a new album- their third- has come out nothing but a woeful attempt, and a painful embarrassment to the reputation they have struggled hard to build. Is this the end for STYL Plus, or the beginning of the end? Or will fans forgive their past mistakes and embrace their new body of work despite it being absolutely mediocre? At a time when everyone is bouncing to near-excellent music coming from Asa, 9ice, Sound Sultan and others, why would anyone want to stop and give STYL Plus a second listen? And in an era where young R&B cats like Wande Coal, GT The Guitarman, W4, Terry G, and Sho’Boi are warming up to grab fans’ attention, how will STYL Plus win the battle to remain in contention?

I wish I had the answers. I wish I had the solution to the problems of a group I once idolised. But beyond answering these questions, STYL Plus needs to do more than record a couple of half-baked songs to win our patronage again. We’ve given them the chance before, they squandered it. If we must give them again, they must tighten their loins, dust their pants and get ready to play the game by the rules. For starters I think they should call an estate agent, get a home in Lagos, and move over with the speed of light.

Oh, they may consider sacking their managers too!
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by Emad(f): 3:22pm On Oct 22, 2008
Thank you for such detailed analysis

I feel the same way too, about their managers i wonder why tehy are taking so long

by the way , their website has not been updated for about a year.

I wonder if it means they have not paid their bills
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by pheesayor(m): 9:10pm On Oct 22, 2008
mbulela:

Oh, they may consider sacking their managers too!

I think that has happened and is affecting them, the names TJAZZ and JOEY was missen on the album.
Some weeks ago styl plus was interviewed and they said the album was recorded under some conditions which will be made to the public soon. Nevertheless, their new album, though not so inviting will grow on u as u listen to it more.
The Boiz r still good
Re: Styl Plus: What's Wrong With Them? by busygirl(f): 9:33pm On Oct 22, 2008
I second phessayor's post. . Listen to the album more often and you will see that it's not as bad as people made it sound. . .they are still good . . .plus, they've got perfect harmonies. . .

(1) (Reply)

Amplifyd Crew ft Id Cabasa - Big Girls: Suliyat Di Jenifa / I Need Help In Getting M.i's Illegal Music Link. (no Rar Folder Format Pls) 10ks / New Video: Omawumi – Chocolata Ft. Naeto C

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.