Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,473 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School (23750 Views)

Should Sex Education Be Taught As A Subject In Nigerian Schools? / I Wish Our University Hostels Are Like Dis / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Bjfirst: 3:12pm On Jul 25, 2014
booked
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Mzjhulz(f): 3:13pm On Jul 25, 2014
cool
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by MadCow1: 3:16pm On Jul 25, 2014
I wished they thought me how to hussle.. angry
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Sweetlemon(f): 3:17pm On Jul 25, 2014
Lovely article.

Well, I wish I was told toooooooo many things when I was younger.
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by macsika: 3:18pm On Jul 25, 2014
Brb
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 25, 2014
Twas a nice read. Tnx.
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 25, 2014
Sorry for ur loss
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by jericco1(m): 3:31pm On Jul 25, 2014
I hate it when long. Ugh!
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Chukkasy(m): 3:36pm On Jul 25, 2014
Thats because most of life's lessons are experiencial, they dont teach you everything in school....as we grow, we learn....nice write up sha, although its too long
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by adekayo1234(m): 3:36pm On Jul 25, 2014
Excellent piece

But I no finish am in order to save time...50-50 rule grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by timpaker(m): 3:45pm On Jul 25, 2014
cool
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by chemmerfrank(m): 3:51pm On Jul 25, 2014
for me its no good...why the hell should i live my life according to the pareto principle or some value standard...my dear black people explore life to the fullest...cause the more we live...the more we learn...i see no reason i had to knw all dose things and thats why you where neva thought...
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by winiwini: 3:51pm On Jul 25, 2014
you made my day
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by freecharles(m): 3:53pm On Jul 25, 2014
Dfavouredone: 13. 80-90% of what you fear will happen never really come into reality.
This is a big one. Most things you fear will happen never happen. They are just monsters in your own mind. And if they happen then they will most often not be as painful or bad as you expected. Worrying is most often just a waste of time.
This is of course easy to say. But if you remind yourself of how little of what you feared throughout your life that has actually happened you can start to release more and more of that worry from your thoughts.

this happens to me
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by rash47(m): 3:55pm On Jul 25, 2014
These are evergreen lessons, op its not to late.
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 25, 2014
I wish they had taught me in school that "sometimes the enemy of the BEST is the GOOD"...this made me spend a good number of my creative years working for ungrateful people/firms instead of working on my dreams.
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by myspnigeria: 4:16pm On Jul 25, 2014
god bless d o.p for sharing this
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 25, 2014
Nice piece. But I must warn, if you assume rapport with a stranger, you run the risk of looking like a freak...lol
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by tunshe: 4:39pm On Jul 25, 2014
The quality of this piece demand 100 likes but the quality of kids in nairaland these days especially on first page is displayed on cheap gossip and religious affiliation rather than self development.

@OP, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by ITbomb(m): 4:43pm On Jul 25, 2014
They should have taught me that to get any girl of your choice was to get a good grade, then a good job and a good car, not to wear the trendy clothes and rap the latest lyrics and pursue women

2 Likes

Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:55pm On Jul 25, 2014
Dfavouredone: 13. 80-90% of what you fear will happen never really come into reality.
This is a big one. Most things you fear will happen never happen. They are just monsters in your own mind. And if they happen then they will most often not be as painful or bad as you expected. Worrying is most often just a waste of time.
This is of course easy to say. But if you remind yourself of how little of what you feared throughout your life that has actually happened you can start to release more and more of that worry from your thoughts.

14. Don’t take things too seriously.
It’s very easy to get wrapped up in things. But most of the things you worry about never come into reality. And what may seem like a big problem right now you may not even remember in three years.
Taking yourself, your thoughts and your emotions too seriously often just seems to lead to more unnecessary suffering. So relax a little more and lighten up a bit. It can do wonders for your mood and as an extension of that; your life.

15. Write everything down.
If your memory is anything like mine then it’s like a leaking bucket. Many of your good or great ideas may be lost forever if you don’t make a habit of writing things down. This is also a good way to keep your focus on what you want..

16. There are opportunities in just about every experience.
In pretty much any experience there are always things that you can learn from it and things within the experience that can help you to grow. Negative experiences, mistakes and failure can sometimes be even better than a success because it teaches you something totally new, something that another success could never teach you.
Whenever you have a “negative experience” ask yourself: where is the opportunity in this? What is good about this situation? One negative experience can – with time – help you create many very positive experiences.

What do you wish someone had told you in school or you had just learned earlier in life?
Writing things down.
I v learned this earlier & I use it to my advantage.
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by joedejana(m): 5:04pm On Jul 25, 2014
Too long, can't read embarassed
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by RealMccoy2(m): 5:05pm On Jul 25, 2014
Plagiarism at its best if the OP claims to be the originator of this article and please quote your source next time. I saw it few days ago online.

2 Likes

Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by paroleski(m): 5:07pm On Jul 25, 2014
hey...i guess the op is damn ryt[color=#990000][/color]
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by NaLaugh: 5:09pm On Jul 25, 2014
Dfavouredone:

Granted

What on Earth gives you the right to grant permission for the reproduction of someone else's work?

Do you know what plagiarism is?

NEVER present third-party material in an attempt to take credit for it.

This article was written by Henrik Edberg on April 2, 2008.

Credit the original author, as you are not.

5 Likes

Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by GbengaPs(m): 5:18pm On Jul 25, 2014
0rex: This has to be one of the best articles I have read on NL in a long time. Good work OP
You are very correct.

1 Like

Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by udswagz: 5:30pm On Jul 25, 2014
I wish someone had told the Nigerian student to start thinking entrepreneurial while in
school, its how i started thinking and i am really grateful to God for giving me such insight.
Do you have any idea how many university graduates are unemployed ?
Even that guy across your street that graduate 2 years ago has not gotten
a job. whats the point ?
the best thing you can do for yourself is to develop your skills.
and focus on building them while you are still in school.
Frankly Nigerian education is one big joke, and there is no promise afterwards.
I focused more on my building my programming skills while in school
and after one year of graduating (have not served, bleeping school ppl)
I am running a web and mobile application development agency,
doing really fine and just got a new laptop.
Please guys build your skill, the educational promise is false.

If you really have to design a website, develop a web application or mobile application
some sites we have developed
www.helonyconcept.com
www.kasemart.com

and we also develop android mobile applications
here is one i recently developed
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmasnig.udcreate&hl=en

Have an app or website idea ? just visit www.udonline.net
and i will help bring your idea to reality.
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jul 25, 2014
OmichaelO: Nice one!! TBH..have only just read the headings..
watx TBH??
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by jezsie: 5:38pm On Jul 25, 2014
gd
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by Christmasdon(m): 5:41pm On Jul 25, 2014
MissYuzedo: How To Wash My ODOLONDOLO for Receiving BOOMBA
.meaning?
Re: 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School by otalenu(m): 5:41pm On Jul 25, 2014
Wonderful

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OAU Releases Post-utme Results 44 Candidates Scored 300 And Above / 11 Types Of People You Will Meet In The University / Queens College Students Win Big At 2020 CONRAD Challenge Finals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.