Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? (17421 Views)

Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by disloman(m): 6:08am On Jul 27, 2014
lamps011: use grater to wound the thumb, soak the thumb inside hot water and use ground pepper to massage it. because of the injury, he'll stop.
HaaaaaaaaAa.Wetin happen nao?If u av a rough childhood,doesn't mean pple too must xperience such.U bad gan.

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by disloman(m): 6:09am On Jul 27, 2014
olorundimu: Op, none of the above remedies can stop the child from sucking his finger. It's a habit that wanes as the child gets older, most do not last beyond 5 years of age. No application of pepper, bitter leaf, alomo bitter or even deliberately inflicting injury to the affected finger will stop this habit. Show the child tender loving care and be patient with him. The waning process starts during his first few months to one year when he gets enough time to mingle with his peers.

My 2cents
Bros!U don born?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 6:26am On Jul 27, 2014
denkyw: Carry alomo bitters rubb am for those fingers,after testing the bitterness no be person go tell am to stop.
chai c solution ooo[left]
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by deltateam: 6:31am On Jul 27, 2014
lamps011: use grater to wound the thumb, soak the thumb inside hot water and use ground pepper to massage it. because of the injury, he'll stop.

Your wickedness knows your bounds even from a sanitorium?! shocked

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by condralbede(m): 6:31am On Jul 27, 2014
Bitter leaf is ur Frnd....rob it on his thumbs n leave d rest.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Cymbal: 6:31am On Jul 27, 2014
Am sure with time,the baby ll stop

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Jesuspistol(m): 6:35am On Jul 27, 2014
gerona:

PLEASE HELP ME ON HOW BEST TO STOP HIM. Thanks.

Nawa o! Matter weh no hard no need wahala now. Use d old method - JUST SQUEEZE BITTERLEAF WATER ON THE THUMB OFTEN. U go see the drastic change. When I small, na wetin my grandma do me be dat o.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by aloeplant: 6:48am On Jul 27, 2014
Very simple get aloe Vera plant , rub it on his finger. Juice from the plant.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by japhmanuel: 6:54am On Jul 27, 2014
Put aloe vera on the thumb
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by evea: 6:57am On Jul 27, 2014
[quote author=gerona]I have a baby boy who is 3yrs and sucks his finger. All efforts to stop him has failed. I need help because it is his right finger, I am afraid it may affect his desire to write, his speech and deform the finger and teeth.

PLEASE HELP ME ON HOW BEST TO STOP HIM. Thanks.[/quo

Rub bitter leaf on the fingers. simple
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by frankmoney(m): 6:59am On Jul 27, 2014
I sucked my thumb until I was in js2....mehn the thumb was flat....until one day I just decided to stop . its a matter of self discipline because my mum and dad tried everything they rub my hand with bitter leaf I still sucked , used cello tape I still sucked Lol...until I decided to stop

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Originalsly: 7:01am On Jul 27, 2014
denkyw: Carry alomo bitters rubb am for those fingers,after testing the bitterness no be person go tell am to stop.
...or bitter leaf......the safest, cheapest and most effective solution. Hot pepper will work but what happens when he rubs his eyes?...he will. Act now before his teeth and gums start setting to leave space for the finger. Hmmm...cutting/grating his finger...some people still barbaric.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by BodyKiss(m): 7:05am On Jul 27, 2014
denkyw:
i tells you,hot pepper can do the work better cheesy

Is this thread about child abuse?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by BodyKiss(m): 7:06am On Jul 27, 2014

This is total abuse.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Adexbaba99: 7:10am On Jul 27, 2014
Get him a glove.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 27, 2014
gerona: I have a baby boy who is 3yrs and sucks his finger. All efforts to stop him has failed. I need help because it is his right finger, I am afraid it may affect his desire to write, his speech and deform the finger and teeth.

Buy a thick sock and wear it on the hand or both hands.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Papps: 7:49am On Jul 27, 2014
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by 1stola: 7:54am On Jul 27, 2014
gerona: I have a baby boy who is 3yrs and sucks his finger. All efforts to stop him has failed. I need help because it is his right finger, I am afraid it may affect his desire to write, his speech and deform the finger and teeth.

BE APPLYING ALOEVERA TO THE FINGER HE SUCKS.
IT WORKS LIKE MAGIC. ALOEVERA IS GOOD FOR THE BODY.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Biggyd2: 7:57am On Jul 27, 2014
How do you make sure that the hands are clean always? Do you follow a crawling child anywhere he/she goes? Do you know how many thumb sucking children land in the hospital just because they picked unnecessary infections? We are not even talking of deformed teeth.

I think people should at least try something that won't be harmful to the child ie bitterleaf. If the child still doesn't stop, the adult would have the comfort that they made effort to help. Nobody wants a child who sucks until they are in secondary school(and some of them do)

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by VantagePoint: 7:59am On Jul 27, 2014
[quote author=tyoseni]
It's kind of too late because the child in picture is now a full grown up child. This could have been averted when he was still within the first 4 months of infant age by wearing him hand glove.
Try scare him about the implication of finger sucking if it will work. [/quote
I don't think it is too late.
I sucked my thumb right until age 5 and my younger brother up till age 6.
All methods were employed, ranging from applying plaster to the thumb, to rubbing it with bitter leaf.Didn't work.
What did it in for me and my brother was the negative reinforcement to the thumb sucking-warnings, disapproval, and actions that generally make it obvious that it wasn't a welcome habit.
Also as he grows up he becomes socially aware of the taunts and jests that he will stop it.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Kalvan: 7:59am On Jul 27, 2014
Omexonomy: Dont rub anything in the hand or play any foul play with the finnger. What the child is experiencing is due genetic disorder that disturb some children which will be over by the age of 6 or 7.

"Genetic disorder"?! Well done o. NL Doctor, where did you get your degree, University of Obalende abi?

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by blesszzy(m): 8:03am On Jul 27, 2014
U sude av acted immediately u noticed buh rite now its going 2 b difficult.. i fear 4 dat thumb oh, by d time he finally stops u go fear gann.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 27, 2014
you are wicked grin

alomo bitters on a baby's thumb? Leave him to suck he will outgrow it.its part of child development. Its when he is 9 and above that you can spank him cheesy
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Lanceslot(m): 8:14am On Jul 27, 2014
tyoseni:
It's kind of too late because the child in picture is now a full grown up child. This could have been averted when he was still within the first 4 months of infant age by wearing him hand glove.
Try scare him about the implication of finger sucking if it will work.
No time is too late, I stopped thump sucking @ the age of 5, my mum did everything possible stop me, from applying bitter leaf to pinching my thumb with injection needle whenever she saw me sucking it. Op put more effort, whenever you see him sucking command him to stop, apply bitter leaf to the finger and maybe use needle to scare him whenever you see him sucking his thumb.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 27, 2014
Omexonomy: Dont rub anything in the hand or play any foul play with the finnger. What the child is experiencing is due genetic disorder that disturb some children which will be over by the age of 6 or 7.

my roommate in secondary school who was almost 18yr sucks his thumb. What will you say about that?
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Lanceslot(m): 8:21am On Jul 27, 2014
olorundimu: Op, none of the above remedies can stop the child from sucking his finger. It's a habit that wanes as the child gets older, most do not last beyond 5 years of age. No application of pepper, bitter leaf, alomo bitter or even deliberately inflicting injury to the affected finger will stop this habit. Show the child tender loving care and be patient with him. The waning process starts during his first few months to one year in school when he gets enough time to mingle with his peers.

My 2cents
I know a guy in his 20s who is still sucking his thump, he knows that its not a good habit, but covers his hand with his shirt whenever he wona suck. Nobody stopped him and it developed into a very thick habit that is nearly impossible for him to stop now.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by tempex88(m): 8:22am On Jul 27, 2014
Very easy, ensure his hands are always rubbed with bitter leaf
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by singlefade25(f): 8:29am On Jul 27, 2014
frankmoney: I sucked my thumb until I was in js2....mehn the thumb was flat....until one day I just decided to stop . its a matter of self discipline because my mum and dad tried everything they rub my hand with bitter leaf I still sucked , used cello tape I still sucked Lol...until I decided to stop
so u sef suck, I don catch u.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 27, 2014
bennyrazz: you can as well use plaster grin you cut the finger with blade like making an incision then you plaster it round for two weeks. Ordinarily the finger should heal up after 1 day but prolong it by leaving the plaster on for one or two weeks
I know this person is a man.it is only a man that can type such

If another human being passed out through your v j and you were in the labour room sweating screaming and exerting energy, you will be more rational and humane
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 27, 2014
@OP

Do anything humanly possible to stop the child from sucking his thumb.

I noticed this is difficult to stop, I do see some adults that still suck theirs whenever they are lonely, but without their finger and the worse part of it is that they lose their mind when ever they start that.
Not only that, kids that suck their thumb always get sick, stomach here and there.

Don't take any advice that you should leave the child.

I can ever allow my unborn to do that sh1t.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by singlefade25(f): 8:38am On Jul 27, 2014
He will definitely stop, my sisters suck their fingers too, but when they were in Junior secondary school, their friends started making jest of them, so they stopped. My mother tried everything, bitterleaf, sock, cutting their finger. OP, if u do all these things, your boy will suck behind u. Talking from experience.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by chii8(f): 8:41am On Jul 27, 2014
My son is almost 3months old n licks his fingers all over but i normally wear him handgloves although ne doesnt lk it at all

(as am typn,hes even cryn for fingers release)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Girl Kills Her 4-day-Old Son For Prostitution In Katsina / GAY LOVE: Man, 95 Marries 67 Year Old Man Lover With Kisses (PHOTOS) / Anambra Man Who Was Found Wandering Finally Rescued By Relative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.