Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? (7706 Views)

InnosonMotors CEO Drives Foreign SUVs But Wants Us To Buy His Cars / How Good Are Liberty Jeeps? / Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by shenny4uall: 4:59pm On Jul 26, 2014
Hello to our car experts here. I am looking for some advice on a vehicle I am going to buy and ship to Nigeria. I need your help in understanding which of these vehicles will be the best for Lagos. Please comment on each vehicle in your response (at least to whatever extent you know) so that I get a full picture of why you think it's good or bad. I'm looking for a car with the least amount of HEADACHE, so the criteria I care about are:

(1) Ruggedness. The ability to do well on those bad Lagos roads and even when it rains heavily
(2) Durability. A car that will not give me problems easily and will not have frequent issues
(3) Overall maintenance cost. If there is a problem, a car that will cost a reasonable amount to fix - in NIGERIA. So it means parts are readily available, good mechanics can service it without having to take it to an expensive dealership

All the cars I'm considering (listed below) will be bought in the USA. They will go through proper inspection and maintenance before I ship them out of US. Note: The cars I'm considering are somewhere between 2005 to 2008 model, with less than 80,000 miles.

1. Acura MDX (2007)
2. Honda Pilot (2008)
3. Infiniti FX35 (2006-2007)
4. Land Rover LR2 (2008)
5. Land Rover LR3 (2006)
6. Lexus RX330 (2006)
7. Mercedes Benz GLK-350 (2007-2008)
8. Mercedes Benz ML-350 (2006-2008)
9. Range Rover Sport (2006)
10. Toyota Highlander (2008)
11. Volkswagen Touareg V6 (2005-2006)

I will be very very grateful.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 26, 2014
Which kind wahala be this na this This post looks like a rainforest with over growth and under growth. I can't even understand it because its very untidy. OP please I use the name of everything that's good to beg you, come and re edit your post, post images where applicable and remove those silly coloured fonts for they do injustice to your thread.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
Jamb questions..... GLk.....ML 350....Oga how did RX 330 enta da place... undecided

Now to my real question... How long do you intend to use the particular vehicle?
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by shenny4uall: 8:01pm On Jul 26, 2014
I will be using it mostly in evenings and weekend on the island. But it will also get some regular use from Victoria island to Ikeja. Thanks.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by shenny4uall: 8:01pm On Jul 26, 2014
lomomike: Which kind wahala be this na this This post looks like a rainforest with over growth and under growth. I can't even understand it because its very untidy. OP please I use the name of everything that's good to beg you, come and re edit your post, post images where applicable and remove those silly coloured fonts for they do injustice to your thread.

It's possible that the device you're viewing it on is not optimal for viewing this. On a regular laptop it is clear to read. Thanks for your input.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by shenny4uall: 8:02pm On Jul 26, 2014
smartchoice: Jamb questions..... GLk.....ML 350....Oga how did RX 330 enta da place... undecided

Now to my real question... How long do you intend to use the particular vehicle?

I will be using it mostly in evenings and weekend on the island. But it will also get some regular use from Victoria island to Ikeja. Thanks.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jul 26, 2014
shenny4uall:

Sorry I meant period of time of use...say like months or years
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 26, 2014
shenny4uall:

It's possible that the device you're viewing it on is not optimal for viewing this. On a regular laptop it is clear to read. Thanks for your input.
No, its optimized but I use glasses and I don't like using it always before I need to read. In your own case, its forcing me to use my pair of 2nd eyes.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by sultaan(m): 6:40am On Jul 27, 2014
MDX is #1

Or RX330 #2

Honda and Toyota luxury brands

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by grimadult(m): 10:43am On Jul 27, 2014
Oga please edit your topic,you said"JEEPS" and I was expecting to see the likes of liberty,cherooke,commander,patriot,compass and so on under d jeep brand. Edit to "SUVS" not "JEEPS".

CHEERS.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by SpaceAngel: 7:51pm On Jul 27, 2014
grimadult: Oga please edit your topic,you said"JEEPS" and I was expecting to see the likes of liberty,cherooke,commander,patriot,compass and so on under d jeep brand. Edit to "SUVS" not "JEEPS".

CHEERS.

Assume you didn't see JEEPS, but you got the message. From the SUV list which one are you advising him to buy?
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by shenny4uall: 8:24pm On Jul 27, 2014
SpaceAngel:

Assume you didn't see JEEPS, but you got the message. From the SUV list which one are you advising him to buy?

SpaceAngel: Thank you so much for replying that comment. I don't know why some people do everything they can to find ways to bring negativity into something so simple. If the topic doesn't appeal to someone (e.g., grimadult) then ignore it instead of writing something negative.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by shenny4uall: 8:26pm On Jul 27, 2014
smartchoice:
Sorry I meant period of time of use...say like months or years

Oh I misunderstood you. The plan is to use it for 2-3 years continuously. Then after 3 years it will either be sold off or it will become my "rough terrain" vehicle while i buy a nicer SUV or a sedan.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by shenny4uall: 8:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
sultaan: MDX is #1

Or RX330 #2

Honda and Toyota luxury brands

Is there a reason why you rank MDX and RX330 top 1 and 2?
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by sultaan(m): 9:26pm On Jul 27, 2014
Bigger, rated better by motor trend
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 27, 2014
From personal experience buy the MDX...
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by shenny4uall: 12:08am On Jul 28, 2014
smartchoice: From personal experience buy the MDX...

Thanks!
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by LeJeun3: 5:42am On Jul 31, 2014

I don't own a car, but as a Mechanic in Lagos. I would say you get either of the Land Rover vehicles. Except off course the LR2 (pls don't ask why). So its either the Range Rover or the LR3.

Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by shenny4uall: 4:41am On Aug 11, 2014
LeJeun3:

I don't own a car, but as a Mechanic in Lagos. I would say you get either of the Land Rover vehicles. Except off course the LR2 (pls don't ask why). So its either the Range Rover or the LR3.

Chief, it looks like everyone says DON'T get the Land/Range Rover vehicles due to maintenance cost. Most people have said get Toyota or Honda (or Lexus/Acura). This you RR or LR3 suggestion dey make me scratch head.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by LeJeun3: 9:38am On Aug 11, 2014
shenny4uall:

Chief, it looks like everyone says DON'T get the Land/Range Rover vehicles due to maintenance cost. Most people have said get Toyota or Honda (or Lexus/Acura). This you RR or LR3 suggestion dey make me scratch head.

Boss, I understand the point most people are making. But maybe just maybe someone with both car classes would give us a heads up. Most people have given advice from a secondary view point.

#sooperrescue

Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by sultaan(m): 3:34pm On Aug 11, 2014
LeJeun3:

Boss, I understand the point most people are making. But maybe just maybe someone with both car classes would give us a heads up. Most people have given advice from a secondary view point.

#sooperrescue

Does the primary point of view include the fact that mechanics make more when customers own a RR
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by mishooo(m): 4:32pm On Aug 11, 2014
my advise would be

1. 2007 MDX
2. Infiniti FX35 (2006-2007)
3. Lexus RX330 (2006)
4. Toyota Highlander (2008)

Although i cant really differentiate between Ruggedness and durability in cars, as i feel they mean same thing. so i am considering Class/Durability/Maintenance. Not in any order though, but the ones with the most averages combined.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by LeJeun3: 5:44pm On Aug 11, 2014
sultaan:

Does the primary point of view include the fact that mechanics make more when customers own a RR

Boss don't put me on the spot.. grin

But honestly, there isn't any difference in servicing a RR and any other regular SUV, the workmanship is flat. You pay for any other thing as per the price (Oil, Filters, fluids etc)

I prefer the RX330 to the MDX.

Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by ivoryhouse(m): 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
Hello Op, I understand the clamour for japanese cars but if you want cars for the long haul go for the Lr3. Apart from the range rover sport, all the others are cross over utility vehicles. The parts of most suvs are expensive in Nigeria so I encourage anyone who can to order them from overseas and save money and time.
Good luck
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by sooperrescue(m): 7:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
For me o, let the OP buy Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. For someone to seek for our opinion before he buys an SUV, it shows he is mindful of the repair cost and the durability. I was also thinking that he plans to use the SUV in Sango Ota or Abule Egba. For VI and Ikeja runs, buy a Range rover Sport Supercharged so that your nerves are soothed whenever you are cruising to either Islands. Apart from these two SUVs, all the others on your list uses Premium unleaded fuel and ask Lejeun 3, to maintain your SUV with Premium unleaded fuel cost money. But a highlander is like an elevated 2002 Toyota Corolla.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by sultaan(m): 8:38pm On Aug 12, 2014
sooperrescue: For me o, let the OP buy Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. For someone to seek for our opinion before he buys an SUV, it shows he is mindful of the repair cost and the durability. I was also thinking that he plans to use the SUV in Sango Ota or Abule Egba. For VI and Ikeja runs, buy a Range rover Sport Supercharged so that your nerves are soothed whenever you are cruising to either Islands. Apart from these two SUVs, all the others on your list uses Premium unleaded fuel and ask Lejeun 3, to maintain your SUV with Premium unleaded fuel cost money. But a highlander is like an elevated 2002 Toyota Corolla.

Chei my brother found a way to sneak Toyota Corolla into the mix, the man wey wan by jeep suppose get money to buy fuel.

OP can also throw a Ford Edge into the mix
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
sooperrescue: For me o, let the OP buy Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. For someone to seek for our opinion before he buys an SUV, it shows he is mindful of the repair cost and the durability. I was also thinking that he plans to use the SUV in Sango Ota or Abule Egba. For VI and Ikeja runs, buy a Range rover Sport Supercharged so that your nerves are soothed whenever you are cruising to either Islands. Apart from these two SUVs, all the others on your list uses Premium unleaded fuel and ask Lejeun 3, to maintain your SUV with Premium unleaded fuel cost money. But a highlander is like an elevated 2002 Toyota Corolla.

Wrong bro! Highlander is a bigger, heavier, and taller sibling of Toyota Camry.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by sooperrescue(m): 11:21pm On Aug 12, 2014
lomomike:
Wrong bro! Highlander is a bigger, heavier, and taller sibling of Toyota Camry.
lomomike,
Driving a Corolla and A highlander is the same feeling. No extra glow feelings like you can get from driving a GL 450, those feelings that makes the driver joyfully play with the tiptronic buttons thinking they were joysticks or a Range Rover's engine roar challenging you to push harder. But inside an Highlander, ahhhh ... honey, when are we getting home, this journey is taking too long.....

sultaan: .
Chei my brother found a way to sneak Toyota Corolla into the mix, the man wet wan by jeep suppose get money to buy fuel.
OP can also throw a Ford Edge into the mix
Hahaha. I just want the guy to know that instead of considering Toyota Highlander and Pilot, he should go for the top of the range as e be say na VI and Ikeja he go dey waka. If he think of those two, make he buy Corolla. They are the same. As for fuel matter, Jeep nor say make we subscribe to petrol station. Those wey get Hummer, dem don park the SUV. E don turn to relic for their house. Lexus LX470 get 2 fuel tanks and that na guzzler. How many young men dey buy that SUV? Na sunday sunday motor be that. Have you not wondered why Toyota Sequoia can be bought for N2m toks? As big as that SUV is. Na so we see am.
Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by pipolad(m): 1:47am On Aug 13, 2014
FROM THE LIST YOU PROVIDED,I WOULD CONSIDER THESE TWO.

1. RANGE ROVER SPORT

2. ACURA MDX 07

FROM MY OWN PERSPECTIVE ,I WILL GO FOR THE ACURA.THAT MACHINE IS LOYAL.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by lonelydora: 6:28am On Aug 13, 2014
You are comparing BOYS with MEN.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 13, 2014
List too long self OP sounds confused.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Land Rover Freelander / How Do I Take Care Of My Audi A6r / 7 Injuries Car Airbags Can Cause If They Deploy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.