Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,999 members, 7,810,779 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! (2563 Views)

I Need Advice, My German Shepherd Just Littered 7puppies(photo) / My Dog Is Going Blind :'( / Help Me With Breed Of My Dog.(pics Included). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by Shawnalex(m): 9:36pm On Jul 26, 2014
I have a 6 months old who was a singleton. I bought her mother who is 5 years about 2 years ago from a vet/breeder who said she had problems getting pregnant and he assured me that she was spayed. Last year when we had to travel, I put her in a dog hostel where she had her heat and was crossed by the owners. Bottom line is that she had only 1 pup who eats like a horse: about twice the food her mum eats but isn't growing at all while her mother is so overweight that we walk her for 30 minutes twice a day. I mix Boconi( a canned meat tin 4 dogs) and she gobbles it up but she's is still not growing. Who can tell me what to do? And before people start criticizing, we have had different dogs since I was a child and they were all big. Another issue is that the mother is a cross between caucasian and GSD and father is a pure Gsd .
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by oluomoadebayo: 10:45am On Jul 28, 2014
Make sure the protein content is more than 75% or you could try switch to raw feeding.
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by patrickrose(m): 12:57pm On Jul 28, 2014
Bros I feel ur pain keep feeding the puppy the growth will come at once
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by Shawnalex(m): 6:25pm On Jul 29, 2014
Thks guys. The thing jst tire me
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by Ezemu(m): 10:06pm On Jul 29, 2014
Has the puppy been dewormed?
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by Shawnalex(m): 1:42am On Jul 31, 2014
Ezemu: Has the puppy been dewormed?

Yes. Once she was 2 months and the 2nd time was jst 3 weeks ago
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by Nobody: 2:59am On Jul 31, 2014
I had dis same problem with a lab he was d smallest of d little but eats alot ... ur Dog will grow but it will take a long while.Place don't give up
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by kabedudu(m): 12:14am On Aug 05, 2014
75% PROTEIN !!! for pups it shouldn't be more than 40% (Large breed pups), while for adult dogs 25% or less is ideal .... keep it slow your dog will grow ......
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by begunatoye(m): 4:47pm On Aug 05, 2014
Since you said you are not a neophyte in dog rearing, I would assume your feeding is adequate' however, I strongly suspect the irregular deworming of your pup has contributed to its slow growth. A pup shd be dewormed biweekly until 3months, then once a month till 6months, thereafter once in 2 to 3 months. I will advise you repeat deworming. Remember you have to know your pup's weight to avoid under- or overdosing it. Better still take a trip to the vet. Other factors that stunt your pup's growth are ectoparasitic infestation, exocrine insufficiency ,etc
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by begunatoye(m): 4:57pm On Aug 05, 2014
Also, place the pup on a quality multi vitamins. All said and done, your dog needs a Vet
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by whitebrown(f): 12:16pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hi, if the pupp is not growing and the feeding is ok, it might be something predisposed in the bloodline,I.e genetics. Multivitamins are just a waste of money and ritualistic. Worms can't completely stunt a pupps growth, though it will lead to general poor conditions and less than desirable growth. There is no sane food with 75% protein( that will be abnormal) and even 40% will be too high. For a large breed dog, 28% is the ideal and if it's a working dog, 30% is ok. But note that it's not about the protein content alone, but more about the source( I.e, is it a usable protein). If you give a good food with quality protein, and you have dewormer with a good dewormer recently and the situation is not improving and the environment is fine I.e the pupp is not kept under a stressful condition and allowed to play and run around and still no improvement, then it's a genetic problem. Remember that though the parents might be okay in size, but they may have that gene in them and the gene can become dominant or resurface in the pupp. Some traits even are known to resurface after 3 generations. Lastly stay away from supplements, they will create issues for you.
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by begunatoye(m): 3:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
Supplements cannot create problem for puppies heealth when the right dosage is given. From the history the puppy owner gave, worm infestation is a critical factor in the pup's stunted growth in this particular case, it is a fallacy to say multivitamin is useless, Vitamins are not replacement for a good diet, they only enhanc it. Like. I said , the pup needs a thorough clinical exam from a vet, .
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by Shawnalex(m): 8:04pm On Aug 08, 2014
begunatoye: Supplements cannot create problem for puppies heealth when the right dosage is given. From the history the puppy owner gave, worm infestation is a critical factor in the pup's stunted growth in this particular case, it is a fallacy to say multivitamin is useless, Vitamins are not replacement for a good diet, they only enhanc it. Like. I said , the pup needs a thorough clinical exam from a vet, .

Took her to d vet last week. After spendind 25000, all he cud tell me was dat she was 2 hyper dat she plays, runs and jumps a lot. That her metabolism is too high and I should chain ha 4 15 hrs a day
Re: Please I Need Advice. My dog aint growing! by begunatoye(m): 8:12am On Aug 09, 2014
Well, just as a human patient is not to be tied to one doctor's opinion, you can weigh the pros and cons of her advice. Tying down an hyperactive dog will only worsen. Its condition. You only need to redirect its energy by playing with it and training it to obey commands. Commands like COME, SIT and STAY wil be helpful. I am a Vet mysef and particularly interested in this dog, so pls keep updating

(1) (Reply)

Top Quality Male Saint Bernard Puppies / No Pedigree Pitbull In Naija??? / 2 Male Lhasa Apso Available For Stud Services.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.