Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,535 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life (2530 Views)

Another Look Into Ekweremadu Alleged "Assassination" Attempt.-koboko69 / An Indepth Look Into Buhari's Asset Declaration By Barcanista / Africans Should NOT Support Barack Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by xfrodobagg: 5:21am On Oct 14, 2008
I received this today from a friend. Neither she nor I know the author. The content disturbed me! See what you think and let me know,

This election has me very worried. So many things to
consider. About a year ago I would have voted for Obama. I have
changed my mind three times since then.
I watch all the news channels, jumping from one to
another. I must say this drives my husband crazy. But, I feel if you view MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News, you might get some middle ground to work with. About six months ago, I started thinking "where did the money come from for Obama". I have four daughters who went to College,and we were middle class, and money was tight. We (including my girls) worked hard and there were lots of student loans.

I started looking into Obama's life.

Around 1979 Obama started college at Occidental in California .
He is very open about his two years at Occidental, he tried
all kinds of drugs and was wasting his time but, even though he had a
brilliant mind, did not apply himself to his studies. "Barry" (that was the name he used
all his life) during this time had two roommates, M uhammad Hasan Chandoo and Wahid Hamid, both from Pakistan . http://www.mikefrancesa.com/wordpress/?p=1190

During the summer of 1981, after his second year in college, he made a "round the world" trip. Stopping to see his mother in Indonesia, next Hyderabad in India, three weeks in Karachi, Pakistan where he stayed with his roommate's family, then off to Africa to visit his father's family, http://exposingliberallies..com/2008/08/obamas-1981-visit-to-pakistan.html

My question - Where did he get the money for this trip? Nether I, nor any one of my children would have had money for a trip like this when they where in college. When he came back he started school at Columbia University in New York . It is at this time wants everyone to call him Barack - not Barry. Do you know what the tuition is at Columbia ? It's not cheap! to say the least. Where did he get money for tuition? Student Loans?

After Columbia , he went to Chicago to work as a Community Organizer for $12,000. a year. Why Chicago ? Why not New York ? He was already living in New York .

By "chance" he met Antoin "Tony" Rezko, born in Aleppo Syria , and a real estate developer in Chicago . Rezko has been convicted of fraud and bribery this year. Rezko, was named
"Entrepreneur of the Decade" by the Arab-American Business and Professional
Association". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Rezko

About two years later, Obama entered Harvard Law School . Do you have any idea what tuition is for Harvard Law School ? Where did he get the money for Law School ? More student loans?

After Law school, he went back to Chicago . Rezko offered him a job, which he turned down. But, he did take a job with Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland. Guess what? They represented "Rezar" which was Rezko's firm. Rezko was one of Obama's first major financial contributors when he ran for office in Chicago . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Rezko

In 2003, Rezko threw an early fundraiser for Obama which Chicago Tribune reporter David Mendelland claims was instrumental in providing Obama with "seed money" for his U.S. Senate race.

In 2005, Obama purchased a new home in Kenwoood District of Chicago for $1.65 million (less than asking price). With ALL those Student Loans - Where did he get the money for the property? On the same day Rezko's wife, Rita, purchased the adjoining empty lot for full price. The London Times reported that Nadhmi Auchi, an Iraqi-born Billionaire loaned Rezko $3.5 million three weeks before Obama's new home was purchased. Obama met Nadhmi Auchi many times with Rezko.

Now, we have Obama running for President. Valerie Jarrett, was Michele Obama's boss. She is now Obama's chief advisor and he does not make any major decisions without talking to her first Where was Jarrett born? Ready for this? Shiraz , Iran ! Do we see a pattern here? Or am I going crazy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Jarrett

In May 10, 2008 The Times reported, Robert Malley advisor to Obama was "sacked" after the press found out he was having regular contacts with "Hamas", which controls Gaza and is connected with Iran . This past week, buried in the back part of the papers, Iraqi newspapers
reported that during Obama's visit to Iraq , he asked their leaders to do nothing about the war until after he is elected, and he will "Take care of things". http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/01/barack_obamas_middle_east_expe.html

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2008/01/obama_and_malley.html

Oh, and by the way, remember the college roommates that where born in Pakistan ? They are in charge of all those "small" Internet campaign contribution for Obama. Where is that money coming from? The poor and middle class in this country? Or could it be from the Middle East ? http://www.mikefrancesa.com/wordpress/?p=1190

And the final bit of news. On September 7, 2008, The Washington Times posted a verbal slip that was made on "This Week" with George Stephanapoulos. Obama on talking about his religion said, "My Muslim faith". When questioned, "he made a mistake". Some mistake!

All of the above information I got on line. If you would like to check it.

Wikipedia, encyclopedia, Barack Obama; Tony Rezko; Valerie Jarrett: Daily Times - Obama visited Pakistan in 1981; The Washington Times - September 7, 2008; The Times May 10, 2008.

Now the BIG question - If I found out all this information on my own, why haven't all of our "intelligent" members of the press been reporting this?

A phrase that keeps ringing in my ear - "Beware of the enemy from within".
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by ibrokay(m): 5:53am On Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for the post,but we should stop probing into Obamas past.This is an intelligent young man who is ready to bring the change that all Americans need.The war against the middle east is not justified coupled with the downward dip in the US economy,the republicans have failed the average americans.Please give Obama the opportunity to become president and execute his plans.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by Jakumo(m): 6:36am On Oct 14, 2008
Republicans realise that the writing on the wall spells out VICTORY for Obama, and as their desperation to fight against the tide of history mounts, it is inevitable that they will dig further down into the garbage can to pull out tender morsels of innuendo, rumor and outright falsehood that they HOPE will forestall the inevitable touchdown of the Obama / Biden mothership.

Mcain, dust off those golf clubs and that mothballed fly-fishing tackle in preparation for your inevitable retirement into obscurity, and Sarah Palin, PLEASE return to the Alaskan wilderness to clean and oil your hunting rifle so that you can return to your role as a mother of 35, grandmother of illegitimate hordes and killer of defenceless wildlife, since your amusement quotient faded long ago.  Perhaps you could become a spokeswoman for the cause of educating unwed teen mothers on the need to consider contraception as a means of reducing the burden on America's welfare state.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by Jarus(m): 9:59am On Oct 14, 2008
Summary of the article:
1,That Obama could be a Muslim, just pretending. Or at least has great sympathy for Muslims and most of his associates are Muslims
2,That he has a questionable source of income.

Another stupidity from a faceless writer!!!
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by c33b33(m): 1:48pm On Oct 14, 2008
What about McCain's past?!Every influential person has a past to look into.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by desgiezd(m): 2:12pm On Oct 14, 2008
Is the faceless writer now telling us that the American intelligence network has become so weak as to detect the sources of funds that Obama had been using for his education and for other things?

I guess the Republicans are jittery because of the likelihood of defeat in the elections.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by arramyjay: 6:43pm On Oct 14, 2008
I think Mccain is worse.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by Fuup(m): 6:54pm On Oct 14, 2008
he's human!!!
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by Fuup(m): 7:16pm On Oct 14, 2008
dont give in to all the conspiracy of politics, most times things aint what they seems,
so what're u thinking?b'cos he visit pakistan or have paki friends , he's a terrorist?
Relax, nothing can be as bad as bush's administration
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by ikeyman00(m): 8:54pm On Oct 14, 2008
@ poster

u are mad!
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by mazaje(m): 9:42am On Oct 15, 2008
Another faceless republican. . . . . . Only the base who will never vote for obama will buy this crap. . . . sean hannity, rush limburgh. . . ann coulter. . . .larz larson etc. . . . . . . . hillary tried it and it failed. . . . . . .
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by CYclone1(f): 4:31pm On Oct 15, 2008
So, what's the gist of the epistle?
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by presido1: 5:08pm On Oct 15, 2008
CY_clone:

So, what's the gist of the epistle?
Don't vote Obama.

They will come up with more but time is running against them.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by JJYOU: 5:18pm On Oct 15, 2008
i would be more afraid of mccain that dumps a woman than barak/barry
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by TayoD1(m): 5:30pm On Oct 15, 2008
@topic,

I wonder why the poster did not bring up the issue of Bill Ayers, ACORN and the likes. He/She did not bring up Obama's lies to cover up the associations.

You all will need to wake up. There is a huge cover up in the media regarding Obama. I wonder why many people are not seeing this.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by texazzpete(m): 7:08pm On Oct 15, 2008
Tayo-D:

@topic,

I wonder why the poster did not bring up the issue of Bill Ayers, ACORN and the likes. He/She did not bring up Obama's lies to cover up the associations.

You all will need to wake up. There is a huge cover up in the media regarding Obama. I wonder why many people are not seeing this.

If you really want to 'wonder'. . .
I wonder why the illogicality of this is lost on you. Obama has gone through a serious probe during the Democratic Primaries. Hillary Clinton did all she could to dig up dirt on him, yet nothing like this came out.
McCain's men have been searching for ages, no dice.

The man has two books written in which he details his early life pretty well. The statements there are easy to check out. Why has no one found anything incriminating?

Instead of reading websites like 'exposingliberallies', read his books and the books people have written about him and make your conclusion.

Tayo-D:

There is a huge cover up in the media regarding Obama.

Yeah right. because even Right-wing media like Fox News are sympathetic to Obama, eh? You can bet there has been an insane amount of digging. Fame, fortune and a pulitzer await anyone who can bring down a candidate. No one has.

Tayo-D:

Bill Ayers was active when Obama was 8. Obama has never been shown to have lied concerning his relationship with Ayers.
ACORN enjoys a better working relationship with the Democratic party, true. But that in no way points to any fraud on Obama's part.

I must admit that i've had far better estimation of your intellect before your unfortunate post.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by naijaway(m): 10:41pm On Oct 15, 2008
Yeah right. This is ignorant at its heightest level. So you think all fingers are created equal. Now did u ever mention Obama's middle class relatives like mom, step dad, grandparents, grand uncles and so on. I mean if u were a friend to someone smart and d wealth would spread to u if u were also humble. Who told u McCain did not have friends dat were klansmen; Not just ordinary klansmen but d kinds dat keep wishing/hoping to reslave all dat aren't white. So because McCain supports israel makes him jewish, n wat are d history of Bush's family wealth from whenever it started being more than enough.
Whoever wrote this is just insane but dats ur opinon. If he smoked pots n even crack dats his business at least he still has his head over his shoulders n don't rub his nose every 20mins like McCain(hmm suspect). To me Bush acts like he's sometimes on drug in office but to u datz okay. Mehn, just because d CIA didn't judge run up to iraq's war fair enough doesn't mean that they have all of a sudden become stupid. If Obama has friends from all over d world, dat even over qualifies him for president. He is versatile n should be recommended for dat, don't wait until he's no more before u see wat kind of person he is.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by ifyalways(f): 10:58pm On Oct 15, 2008
presido1:

Don't vote Obama.

They will come up with more but time is running against them.
na u be dis? shocked shocked shocked
o gini an achu gi oso na ulo anyi?na wao angry
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by Eziachi: 1:24am On Oct 16, 2008
Tayo-D:

@topic,

Mister Big wisdom of Solomon, if you think that the media is shielding the truth about Obama including maybe FOX NEWS too, why don't you eduate us on this great secret about Obama we are being shield from?
I am sure with the rate of crime now in Nigeria, their must surely be a classmate of yours who is now a gun robber or pen robber and by that action of his or her, you too must be a robber, because guess what? You use to talk to them, sat with them or even smile at them at school.

Anybody can put anything on the internet and some idiot will take it as fact. Obama ran a difficult primaries for 18 months, had two books about him and now at the last minute:- hurray!!
You had ben kissing a terrorist senator!
Your middle name is Hussein!!
You have a big ears- that is scary for a president!!
You are an Arab even though half of your DNA is Irish and rest from Kenya!!

The problem some white republicans are facing is the fact that they are dealing with a guy who is quite new in politics to have gathered enough dirt on himself like most politicians over a long period of politiking, he is well read and educated than they usually see for a black person and had his own bogus American dreary dream story to tell and his is more interesting that their own and they don't seem to know how to handle it.
Obama can still lose this election, especially if they remember the Florida way, but the fact that he had reached this stage- whatever happen now, his name will be remembered so many years to come in the history of the world.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by adconline(m): 7:45am On Oct 16, 2008
some of us must have been dreaming. Just visit sites like nobama dot com and see some rants against him. I read an article from a right wing ideologue (PhD.) who thinks that Obama did not write his two books but Bill Ayers. He even went to the point of calling Harvard Law Review editor's position a popularity contest. The point is that massive followership of these folks thrives on ignorance. How could I listen to Billy O'Reilly question Snoop Dogg's character while he had to settle sexual harassment law suit out of public glare or  Rush Limbaugh's repeated conflict with illegal drugs.Maybe I'm too  aloof to know that John McCain is a US citizen even though born in canal zone or that Barack Obama is a Christian. I think that the Swedish Academy Secretary on Noble Prize was right to criticize Americans as being  too isolated and insular in literary work. This is also applicable in every facet of American polity. You listen to Glen Beck haul accusations at media of being partisan while he is the greatest partisan and a big media player. I don't know if Europeans are politically wired this way.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by mazaje(m): 8:58am On Oct 16, 2008
Glen becks is a lunatic, i love all those ignorant right wing nuts who thrive on ignorance and stupidity to keep the uninformed and stupid in a box. . . . . the GOP clearly shows that religion is the best source and form of division. . . . . Imagine people like shawn hannity, rush limburgh, ann coulter,larz larson, etc telling people that the liberals do not love america. . . . . its just so unbelievable the conservative(hate)talk radio hosts never see/think past their own interest and ideas ,its either their way or the high way. . . . . i will love to see how they will respond when barack obama becomes the next POTUS. . . . . . .
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by ikeyman00(m): 11:27am On Oct 16, 2008
but the recent debate, i think mccain knows time is running out?  his ideas and style aint working?

@@ poster are they ? or is this superman right here veiws from another planet?
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by GoldCircle: 1:51pm On Oct 16, 2008
this na 'bad belle' of the highest order!
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2008
Arrant nonsense angry

Trying to create fear and doubt about this guy or what?.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by sleekdot(m): 6:00pm On Oct 16, 2008
Yes Obama is a terrorist, he is Anti Christ He is devil, He is Satan, He is Hitler+ Saddam + Idi Amin.
He brought all the epidemic in the world, he brought financial crisis to New york, he brought the mortgage crises, He attacked pearl harbor.
The CIA does not know Obama receives money from Iran because CIA have been bought over, Clinton and Mccain can not dig this deep because they have
been bought over.

Nobody knows but you,TayoD and that website
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by TayoD1(m): 7:54pm On Oct 16, 2008
@texazzpete,

If you really want to 'wonder'. . . I wonder why the illogicality of this is lost on you. Obama has gone through a serious probe during the Democratic Primaries. Hillary Clinton did all she could to dig up dirt on him, yet nothing like this came out. McCain's men have been searching for ages, no dice. The man has two books written in which he details his early life pretty well. The statements there are easy to check out. Why has no one found anything incriminating?
Instead of reading websites like 'exposingliberallies', read his books and the books people have written about him and make your conclusion.
Perhaps you need to wonder why despite Clinton's attempt to bring attention to Bill Ayers, Americans are just beginning to learn about him about 3 weeks to the Presidential election. Until this past week, what did you know about ACORN? Why is all that information just coming out now? Have you ever wondered? Perhaps the reason why no one paid attention is because the Press chose not to delve into it. Or could it be because of fear of being labelled a racists just because you oppose the most viable aspiring black president of the USA?

Yeah right. because even Right-wing media like Fox News are sympathetic to Obama, eh? You can bet there has been an insane amount of digging. Fame, fortune and a pulitzer await anyone who can bring down a candidate. No one has.
Perhaps they'll rather take their risk with Obama than to see Republicans retain the White House. Perhaps they see in Obama, a candidate most aligned with their agenda. Do you know how many attacks Joe the Plumber has been through just today because he considers Obama's tax plan un-american? Be ready for an all out counterattack by the Pres if you intend to touch their anointed one.

Bill Ayers was active when Obama was 8.
So Obama was 8 after 911 when Ayers wrote in the NY Times that he wished he had done more?

Obama has never been shown to have lied concerning his relationship with Ayers.
Oh. From just declaring that Ayers was just someone living in his neighborhood, we have since found out that Ayers actually held a "meet the candidate" fund raising event in his home for Obama. Now, is that just a guy who lives in my neighborhood?

ACORN enjoys a better working relationship with the Democratic party, true. But that in no way points to any fraud on Obama's part.
Its not just about fraud. ACORN is deeply involved and responsible for the present mortgage crisis. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/09/acorn_obama_and_the_mortgage_m.html,

"Obama was part of a team of attorneys who represented the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) in a lawsuit against the state of Illinois in 1995 for failing to implement a federal law designed to make it easier for the poor and others to register as voters." (Mike Robinson, "Obama Got Start In Civil Rights Practice," The Associated Press, 2/20/07)

"Misrepresented" The Group's Work To The FEC. "U.S. Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign paid more than $800,000 to an offshoot of the liberal Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now for services the Democrat's campaign says it mistakenly misrepresented in federal reports. An Obama spokesman said Federal Election Commission reports would be amended to show Citizens Services Inc. -- a subsidiary of ACORN -- worked in 'get-out-the-vote' projects, instead of activities such as polling, advance work and staging major events as stated in FEC finance reports filed during the primary." (David M. Brown, "Obama To Amend Report On $800,000 In Spending," Pittsburgh Tribune Review, 8/22/08)
- [url=http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/rnc-obama--acorn-fact/story.aspx?guid=%7B29569FA1-136D-4B95-9D51-4EF9E87ED547%7D&dist=hppr]http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/rnc-obama--acorn-fact/story.aspx?guid=%7B29569FA1-136D-4B95-9D51-4EF9E87ED547%7D&dist=hppr [/url].

I must admit that i've had far better estimation of your intellect before your unfortunate post.
Excuse my inability to excuse all these facts. If my suspicion of Obama means a lower level of intelligence to you, the so be it. I am not blind to these facts. Obama has being lying and he continues to do so.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by BigB11(m): 8:38pm On Oct 16, 2008
Obama represents one of the most incredible entities around today.
I admire his unique ways, his natural wisdom and the authentic chemistry he has with the middle class in United States.

Regardless of the outcome in Nov 4th, the man is a champion in my book.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by TayoD1(m): 9:30pm On Oct 16, 2008
@BigB1,

Obama represents one of the most incredible entities around today.
I admire his unique ways, his natural wisdom and the authentic chemistry he has with the middle class in United States.
The middle class is his biggest problem. Where are you getting this gist from?

Regardless of the outcome in Nov 4th, the man is a champion in my book.
Finally. We agree on something. Regardless of policies, I really admire what he has achieved. No doubt he is a great man, and may he remain so. I do wish him well, and if he becomes the president after the elections, I will proudly call him My President.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by away4real(m): 10:15pm On Oct 16, 2008
Tayo-D:

@texazzpete,
Perhaps you need to wonder why despite Clinton's attempt to bring attention to Bill Ayers, Americans are just beginning to learn about him about 3 weeks to the Presidential election. Until this past week, what did you know about ACORN? Why is all that information just coming out now? Have you ever wondered? Perhaps the reason why no one paid attention is because the Press chose not to delve into it. Or could it be because of fear of being labelled a racists just because you oppose the most viable aspiring black president of the USA?
Perhaps they'll rather take their risk with Obama than to see Republicans retain the White House. Perhaps they see in Obama, a candidate most aligned with their agenda. Do you know how many attacks Joe the Plumber has been through just today because he considers Obama's tax plan un-american? Be ready for an all out counterattack by the Pres if you intend to touch their anointed one.
So Obama was 8 after 911 when Ayers wrote in the NY Times that he wished he had done more?
Oh. From just declaring that Ayers was just someone living in his neighborhood, we have since found out that Ayers actually held a "meet the candidate" fund raising event in his home for Obama. Now, is that just a guy who lives in my neighborhood?
Its not just about fraud. ACORN is deeply involved and responsible for the present mortgage crisis. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/09/acorn_obama_and_the_mortgage_m.html,

"Obama was part of a team of attorneys who represented the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) in a lawsuit against the state of Illinois in 1995 for failing to implement a federal law designed to make it easier for the poor and others to register as voters." (Mike Robinson, "Obama Got Start In Civil Rights Practice," The Associated Press, 2/20/07)

"Misrepresented" The Group's Work To The FEC. "US. Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign paid more than $800,000 to an offshoot of the liberal Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now for services the Democrat's campaign says it mistakenly misrepresented in federal reports. An Obama spokesman said Federal Election Commission reports would be amended to show Citizens Services Inc. -- a subsidiary of ACORN -- worked in 'get-out-the-vote' projects, instead of activities such as polling, advance work and staging major events as stated in FEC finance reports filed during the primary." (David M. Brown, "Obama To Amend Report On $800,000 In Spending," Pittsburgh Tribune Review, 8/22/08)
- [url=http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/rnc-obama--acorn-fact/story.aspx?guid=%7B29569FA1-136D-4B95-9D51-4EF9E87ED547%7D&dist=hppr]http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/rnc-obama--acorn-fact/story.aspx?guid=%7B29569FA1-136D-4B95-9D51-4EF9E87ED547%7D&dist=hppr [/url].
Excuse my inability to excuse all these facts. If my suspicion of Obama means a lower level of intelligence to you, the so be it. I am not blind to these facts. Obama has being lying and he continues to do so.

@ Tayo, this is becoming unacceptable, how can you attempt to do this. The argument is lame, please read about ACORN on the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Community_Organizations_for_Reform_Now

ACORN has been in existance since 1970 and has been involved in various projects. This arguement against Obama lacks merit, its obvious. The same Mccain crying foul now had praised ACORN in the past, he has been sighted in one of their gatherings.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by away4real(m): 10:15pm On Oct 16, 2008
ACORN, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, is a community-based organization that advocates for low- and moderate-income families by working on neighborhood safety, health care and other social issues. ACORN has over 350,000 members and more than 850 neighborhood chapters in over 100 cities across the United States, as well as in Argentina, Canada, Mexico, and Peru. ACORN was founded in 1970 by Wade Rathke and Gary Delgado.[1] Maude Hurd has been National President of ACORN since 1990.

ACORN's priorities have included: better housing and wages for the poor, more community development investment from banks and governments, and better public schools.[2] ACORN pursues these goals through demonstration, negotiation, legislation, and voter participation.[3]

ACORN is made up of several legally distinct parts including local non-profits, a national lobbying organization and the ACORN Housing Corporation.[4] ACORN says it is non-partisan though it is often aligned with the Democratic Party on policy.[4] This political alignment and some of the causes it advocates have made ACORN the subject of partisan conflict.[5][4] Some of ACORN's voter registration programs have been investigated for alleged fraud.[6]

Issues and actions

Predatory lending and affordable housing
ACORN targets companies that engage in lending practices that it considers predatory. It supports strict state laws against predatory practices, organizes against foreclosure rescue scams, and attempts to steer borrowers toward loan counseling.[7] Following a three-year campaign, Household International (now owned by HSBC Holdings and renamed HSBC Finance Corporation), one of the largest subprime lenders in the country, and ACORN announced on November 25, 2003 a proposed settlement of a 2002 national class-action lawsuit brought by ACORN. The settlement created a $72 million Foreclosure Avoidance Program to provide relief to Household borrowers who are at risk of losing their homes.[7] The settlement came on the heels of an earlier $484 million settlement between Household, Attorneys General, and bank regulators from all 50 US states.[8]

ACORN and its affiliates advocate for affordable housing by urging the development, rehabilitation and establishment of housing trust funds at the local, state, and federal levels.[9] The group also pushes for enforcement of affordable-housing requirements for developers and promotes programs to help homeowners repair their homes and organize tenant demands.[10]

Living wages
Living wage ordinances require private businesses that do business with the government to pay their workers a wage that enables them to afford basic necessities. ACORN has helped pass local living wage laws in fifteen cities including Chicago, Oakland, Denver, and New York City.[11] ACORN maintains a website that provides strategic and logistical assistance to organizations nationwide.

ACORN filed a lawsuit in California seeking to exempt itself from the state's minimum wage of $4.25 per hour in 1995. ACORN alleged in its complaint that minimum wage laws "were unconstitutional as applied to it, because they restricted its ability to engage in political advocacy by forcing it to hire fewer workers, and that its workers, if paid the minimum wage, would be less empathetic with its low- and moderate-income constituency and would therefore be less effective advocates." The court denied ACORN's petition; the denial was sustained on appeal.[12]
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by away4real(m): 10:16pm On Oct 16, 2008
Katrina relief
ACORN members across the country, particularly in the Gulf region, have organized fundraising and organizing drives to ensure that victims of Hurricane Katrina will receive assistance and will be able to return to affected areas. ACORN's Home Cleanout Demonstration Program has gutted and rebuilt over 1,850 homes with the help of volunteers. The ACORN Katrina Survivors Association formed in the aftermath of the storm is the first nationwide organization for Katrina survivors and has been working for equitable treatment for victims. Displaced citizens were bussed into the city for the New Orleans primary and general elections. ACORN Housing Services have helped more than 2,000 homeowners affected by the storm and is an official planner working with the city on reconstruction.[13][unreliable source?]

Education
ACORN pushes education reform usually in the form of organizing neighborhood groups and "community" or "ACORN schools". In Chicago, ACORN has advocated for a certified teacher to be in every classroom. In California ACORN has documented the need for textbooks and school repairs. ACORN works with teachers unions to get money for school construction and more funding for schools.[14] ACORN also supports school reform and the "creation of alternative public schools" such as charter schools.[14][15] ACORN opposed the privatization of some NYC schools, favoring its own Charter School plan.[16] The ACORN model for schools emphasizes small classes, parent involvement, qualified teachers and "community oriented curricula".[17]

Gun control
In 2006, ACORN intervened on behalf of Jersey City, New Jersey in a lawsuit brought against the city, which challenged a local ordinance that limited handgun purchasers to one gun a month.[18] The Hudson County Superior Court struck down the ordinance on the grounds that it violated the New Jersey Constitution's Equal Protection clause, and a state statute prohibiting towns and municipalities from enacting firearms legislation.[19]

On September 29, 2008, the New Jersey Appellate Court denied ACORN's appeal of the Hudson County Superior Court's decision striking down Jersey City's ordinance.[20]

History

1970-1975: Founding
ACORN was founded by Wade Rathke when he was sent to Little Rock, Arkansas by the National Welfare Rights Organization (NWRO) in 1970 as an organizer.[21] Gary Delgado and George A. Wiley were also instrumental to its founding. ACORN's first campaign was aimed at helping welfare recipients attain their basic needs, such as clothing and furniture. This drive, inspired by a clause in the Arkansas welfare laws, began the effort to create and sustain a movement that would grow to become the Arkansas Community Organizations for Reform Now, the beginnings of ACORN.[22]

ACORN's goal was to unite welfare recipients with needy working people around issues of free school lunches, unemployment issues, Vietnam veterans' rights, and emergency room care. The broad range of issues did not stop there as the organization grew throughout Arkansas. ACORN organized farmers to take on environmental issues concerning sulfur emissions.

1975-1980: Growth beyond Arkansas
In 1975, ACORN created branches in Texas and South Dakota. On December 13, 1975, sixty leaders from the three ACORN states elected the first associate Executive Board and the first ACORN president, Steve McDonald, to deal with matters beyond the scope of the individual city and state boards. Each year thereafter saw three or more states join ACORN, building to a total of twenty states by 1980. This expansion led to multi-state campaigns beginning with a mass meeting of 1,000 members in Memphis in 1978. At the end of the conference, ACORN convention delegates marched on the Democratic Party conference with the outline of a nine-point "People’s Platform" which would go on to become the foundation of ACORN's platform when it was ratified in 1979.

ACORN was active in the 1980 Election with the "People's Platform" serving as its standard.[23] It led demonstrations aimed at both major party candidates; demanded to meet with President Jimmy Carter; marched on the president's campaign finance committee chair's home; and presented its platform to the Republican Party platform committee.

1980-1988: Reagan era
By 1980, ACORN’S staff was stretched thin by the demands of meeting its expansion goals. Much of its resources and energy had been dedicated to the presidential primaries and national party conventions. ACORN launched squatting campaigns in an attempt to obtain affordable housing, and encouraged squatters to refit the premises for comfortable living.

In June 1982 ACORN sponsored "Reagan Ranches" in over 35 cities believing the president's focus to be on military as opposed to social spending. These tent cities were erected for two days and were met with resistance from the National Park Service, which tried repeatedly to evict the tenters. The protesters remained and then marched on the White House and testified before a Congressional committee about what they described as the housing crisis in America. The last Reagan Ranch was held at the Republican Convention in Dallas in 1984.

In addition to protesting, ACORN also developed and strengthened its political action committees and encouraged its members to run for office. For the 1984 Election ACORN wanted to endorse a candidate, setting a 75% support in polls among members as its requirement. No candidate reached that level, though there was strong support for Jesse Jackson. ACORN also established a legislative office that year in Washington, DC. During this period ACORN also focused on local election reform in a number of cities, including Pittsburgh, Columbia, South Carolina, and Sioux Falls, South Dakota, encouraging the change of at-large legislative bodies to district representation.

ACORN grew to twenty-seven states, adding chapters in New York City, Washington, DC, and Chicago, Illinois by the end of Reagan's first term.[22]

During the 1988 Election ACORN held its National Convention in the same city as the Democratic Convention — Atlanta, Georgia. During the preceding four years ACORN had strengthened its ties with Jesse Jackson and accounted for thirty Jackson delegates. It also sponsored a march at the convention.

ACORN's membership grew to 70,000 plus in twenty-eight states during this time. It increased its legislative lobbying efforts in Washington and strengthened its Political Action Committees (PACs). It also developed what it called the Affiliated Media Foundation Movement (AM/FM). Starting with station KNON in Dallas, AM/FM moved on to establish radio stations, UHF television and cable television programming. It also sought and received appointments to the Resolution Trust Corporation (RTC) which was formed to dissolve the assets of failed Savings and Loans resulting from the Savings and Loan crisis.
Re: A Starling Look Into Barack Obama's Life by away4real(m): 10:16pm On Oct 16, 2008
1988-1998: Focus on housing

ACORN member demonstrating against predatory lendingWhile some of ACORN’s most notable efforts were in the area of housing, it has counted health, public safety, education, representation, work and workers’ rights and communications concerns among its victories.

The 1990 ACORN convention in Chicago focused on the fast-breaking housing campaign. It featured a squatting demonstration at an RTC house. Later, ACORN members demanded cooperation from banks about providing loan data on low- and moderate-income communities and compliance with the 1977 Community Reinvestment Act (CRA).

ACORN fought weakening of the CRA in 1991, staging a two-day takeover of the House Banking Committee hearing room. It also established ACORN Housing Corporation to service people moving into homes under the housing campaign, rehabilitated hundreds of houses addressed by CRA.

The ACORN convention in New York in 1992, called the "ACORN-Bank Summit", was organized to make deals with giant banks. When Citibank, the nation’s largest bank, did not participate conventioneers protested at its downtown Manhattan headquarters, and won a meeting to negotiate for similar programs.

ACORN supported and lobbied for the "Motor Voter" Act. After its passage, ACORN members attended President Clinton’s signing ceremony. ACORN then pursued new registration laws in Arkansas and Massachusetts and filed suit in Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania as a result of the act.

In 1993, ACORN also began a national campaign to fight insurance redlining, a practice that put the gains made in other housing campaigns at risk. The campaign targeted Allstate, hitting sales offices in fourteen cities and a stockholders meeting. Allstate agreed to negotiate and signed an agreement in 1994 for a $10 million partnership with ACORN and NationsBank for below-market mortgages to low-income homebuyers. Travelers Insurance agreed to a Neighborhood and Home Safety Program, linking access to insurance and lower rates to public safety programs.

In 1994, the group improperly used a $1.1 million grant from AmeriCorps for political purposes and the grant was terminated.[24][25]. Acorn says it does not now accept direct government funding and is not tax exempt.[26]

1998-2004: Building capacity
ACORN's subsequent activities have included its "Living Wage" programs, voter registration, and grassroots political organization.

In 1998 ACORN helped form the Working Families Party in New York which counts increasing the minimum wage as its centerpiece issue.

Dale Rathke, the brother of ACORN's founder Wade Rathke, was found to have embezzled $948,607.50 from the group and affiliated charitable organizations in 1999 and 2000. ACORN executives did not inform the board or law enforcement, but signed an enforceable restitution agreement with the Rathke family to repay the amount of the embezzlement. Wade Rathke stated to the New York Times that "the decision to keep the matter secret was not made to protect his brother but because word of the embezzlement would have put a “weapon” into the hands of [, ] conservatives who object to [ACORN]'s often strident advocacy on behalf of low- and moderate-income families and workers." A whistleblower revealed the fraud in 2008, leading to the departure of both Dale and Wade Rathke.[27]

A March 27, 2003 decision of the National Labor Relations Board found that ACORN attempted to thwart union organizing efforts within its own organization by laying off two workers who were attempting to organize.[28] The two workers, both field organizers with ACORN, began discussions with the Service Employees International Union and later sought to organize under Industrial Workers of the World in response to their $16,000 annual salary for a 54-hour work week.[citation needed] The NLRB ordered the two employees be reinstated in their former jobs and ACORN cease from interrogating employees about organizing activity.[28]. ACORN has since strengthened its ties with the Service Employees International Union, which donates over two million dollars to ACORN each year,[29] often working collaboratively on issues (including health insurance costs and the minimum wage) and sharing office space.

In 2004, Florida ACORN helped to raise Florida's minimum wage by $1.00 an hour by lobbying for a minimum wage amendment to be placed on the ballot. Over 1 million Florida employees were affected by the raise, which is adjusted annually for inflation.

2004 saw ACORN become an international organization, opening offices in Canada, Peru, and beginning work in Dominican Republic. Since then offices have opened in Mexico and Argentina.

2004-present: Voter registration drives
ACORN Votes, ACORN's national political action committee, endorsed the candidacy of Barack Obama during the 2008 Democratic Presidential Primary.[30]

Between 2004 and 2008, ACORN has focused its efforts on voter registration drives. In some locations ACORN employees have submitted false voter registration forms and the group's registration efforts have been investigated in a number of cities.

Investigations that have not resulted in charges or are still pending have been conducted in St. Louis, Missouri in 2006;[31][32] Lake County, Indiana[33] and Cuyahoga County, Ohio[34][35] in 2008; in Michigan in 2008;[36] in Nevada in 2008;[37][38] in Missouri in 2008.[39] Investigations resulting in charges or convictions of ACORN voter-registration employees occurred in 2004 in Ohio;[40][41] in 2005 in Colorado;[42] in 2006 in Kansas City, Missouri;[43] in 2007 in Washington state.[44] In the Washington case, ACORN agreed to pay King County $25 000 for its investigative costs and acknowledged that the national organization could be subject to criminal prosecution if fraud occurs again. According to King County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg, the misconduct was done "as an easy way to get paid [by ACORN], not as an attempt to influence the outcome of elections."[45][46]

During investigations, ACORN has publicly supported the investigations of employees submitting fraudulent voter registration information, has fired them if evidence supports the charges, and has stated its concern with false information on registration forms.[47][48] Officials have stated that ACORN has been cooperative in these investigations.[36]

ACORN in political discourse
This article or section may be slanted towards recent events.
Please try to keep recent events in historical perspective. (October 2008) 

Some Democrats have championed ACORN's work in organizing and supporting the causes of people with low and moderate incomes.[49] ACORN's political committees have sometimes endorsed Democratic candidates.[50] ACORN has participated in every Democratic Convention since 1980 [51] with members elected as delegates.[52] ACORN has lobbied delegates at Republican conventions[53] and has been criticized by Republicans for its support of Democratic candidates and alleged bias in its voter registration efforts.[4]

House of Representatives Republican leader John Boehner called for ACORN to be barred from receiving federal monies, and for a ban on ACORN contracting with candidates for federal office. He said, "ACORN spent decades promoting the housing policies that brought America's economy to the brink, and similarly over the years has committed fraud on our system of elections"[54]

In contrast, John Atlas writes in a Huffington Post editorial that ACORN has "accumulated many enemies" and has been "subjected to vicious attacks from business lobbyists, conservative politicians, and right-wing media." This same source alleges that the George W. Bush administration has sought to harass ACORN with accusation of voter fraud.[55] In a report released October 2008 the US Department of Justice Inspector General found that former US. Attorney David Iglesias was wrongfully fired by Attorney General Alberto Gonzales after Iglesias declined to indict over alleged voter fraud at an ACORN affiliate in New Mexico, citing insufficient evidence.[56]

Some Republicans, most notably Ken Blackwell, have attempted to link Barack Obama to allegations of voter fraud by ACORN.[57] The Obama campaign has strongly denied these accusations via their website and pointed to Blackwell's involvement in the irregularities reported in Ohio during the 2004 presidential election.[58].

During the debate on the bailout bill (the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008), some conservative commentators claimed that a draft provision (omitted in the adopted bill) to give money to funds run by the US Department of the Treasury could potentially lead to money flowing to groups like ACORN.[59][4] When asked how much money ACORN or other community groups would get, Steven Adamske, spokesman for Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), chairman of the Financial Services Committee said, "None. Absolutely none. All funds would go to state and local governments."[5]

In October 2008, the John McCain campaign released a web-based ad suggesting ACORN was partly responsible for the 2008 economic crisis. ACORN pushed back on this accusation via its website, calling the spot "a smear ad".[60] On October 13, ACORN released a picture of Senator McCain attending an ACORN immigration forum to Politico. [61][color=#990000][/color]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nostradamus Predicted Barack Obama's Election Victory! / Meltdown: Fashola Bans Foreign Medical Treatment / Civil War Has Broken Out In Nigeria Fighting Has Started

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.