Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. (1035 Views)

GENIUS ONLY... Solve If You're A Genius / Top Secret For Maths Success Revealed / Jamb 2013 Thread For Maths! English! Economics And Government. Ur Needs Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 10:32pm On Jul 27, 2014
McWhillion Transports has acquired two trucks to carry different types of cargo. One costs #3,500,000; the other costs $5,200,000. The company expects that the first will last 400,050 km, after which it can be sold for salvage for about #1,000,000. The other will fetch the same salvage price, but will last 544,000 km. The two trucks convoy together, so they always show the same mileage readings.
If the value of each truck declines at different constant rates for every mile driven,
Calculate the rate of depreciation of each vehicle.
At what mileage reading will the residual values of the two trucks be equal?
At what mileage readings will both vehicles cost #500,000 each?

2 Likes

Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 10:34pm On Jul 27, 2014
meryl4merit, UchihaMadara,
Obinoscopy, CarlOzeki, Snowland,
Tinkybabe, hopelink1 ,, vengeance, kobonaire,
Your attentions are needed.
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by Wolison(m): 10:48pm On Jul 27, 2014
Hmm....Na only 2 X 2 = 4 I know ooo
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by simdam500(m): 11:20pm On Jul 27, 2014
I=PRT/100 wink
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 10:17am On Aug 02, 2014
Linda puts money in two investments A and B which paid simple interest. If annual rate of investment of B is 1.5 times of A, what amount did Linda put into A?
a. Interest for 1yr is $50 for A and $150 for B.
b. Linda put twice the amount of A into B.

I'M KINDA CONFUSED, HELP!

DermalCarotene
CarlOzeki
McWhillion
kobonaire
Tinkybabe
Paranorman
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by Nastydroid(m): 1:35pm On Aug 02, 2014
Hmmmn
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by paranorman(m): 2:30pm On Aug 02, 2014
McWhillion: Linda puts money in two investments A and B which paid simple interest. If annual rate of investment of B is 1.5 times of A, what amount did Linda put into A?

DermalCarotene
CarlOzeki
McWhillion
kobonaire
Tinkybabe
Paranorman
this is simple now.. Just lookin at it, i think 'twill give you a simultaneous equation or so.. Though i am not sure and dont wanna jump into conclusion..
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by paranorman(m): 2:32pm On Aug 02, 2014
I'l answer ur questions when i get the time jare..
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by fattbabakay(m): 3:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
Kinda simple...but no PEN
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by kobonaire(m): 3:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
McWhillion: Linda puts money in two investments A and B which paid simple interest. If annual rate of investment of B is 1.5 times of A, what amount did Linda put into A?
This question may appear deceptively simple but is far from it from in my opinion. If A investment rate was X and investment amount Y it means for A : X*Y=50 and B: 1.5X*2Y=150 . We do not have enough information to solve for X, Y
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 4:02pm On Aug 02, 2014
kobonaire: This question may appear deceptively simple but is far from it from in my opinion. If A investment rate was X and investment amount Y it means for A : X*Y=50 and B: 1.5X*2Y=150 . We do not have enough information to solve for X, Y
Bro, that is what I thought and that is why I brought it here for you guys. I thought something was missing and you confirmed it.
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by TemporaryAcount: 4:43pm On Aug 02, 2014
@McWhillion I think I solved the 1st problem, but NairaLand Antispam bot did not like my use of the Naira symbol and so my account got temporarily suspended grin grin
See attached solution .....
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 4:47pm On Aug 02, 2014
TemporaryAcount: @McWhillion I think I solved the 1st problem, but NairaLand Antispam bot did not like my use of the Naira symbol and so my account got temporarily suspended grin grin
See attached solution .....
dat foolish anti spam sha
I cant see the solution clearly

1 Like

Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by TemporaryAcount: 5:21pm On Aug 02, 2014
McWhillion: dat foolish anti spam sha ..I cant see the solution clearly
Truck 1: N3500000, sells for N1000000 at 400050 km mileage
Truck 2: N5200000, sells for N1000000 at 544000 km mileage
Calculate the rate of depreciation of each vehicle:
Truck 1 => (3.5M -1M)/400050 = 6.249 N/km (approx)
Truck 1 => (5.2M -1M)/544000 = 7.721 N/km (approx)

This is given in the question already .. 400050 and 544000 km??

At what mileage readings will both vehicles cost N500,000 each?
Truck 1: let that mileage be X => 3.5M - 6.249X = 0.5, solving for X=480,076 km
Truck 2: let that mileage be Y => 5.2M - 7.721X = 0.5, solving for Y=608,729 km
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 5:45pm On Aug 02, 2014
TemporaryAcount:
Truck 1: N3500000, sells for N1000000 at 400050 km mileage
Truck 2: N5200000, sells for N1000000 at 544000 km mileage
Calculate the rate of depreciation of each vehicle:
Truck 1 => (3.5M -1M)/400050 = 6.249 N/km (approx)
Truck 1 => (5.2M -1M)/544000 = 7.721 N/km (approx)

This is given in the question already .. 400050 and 544000 km??

At what mileage readings will both vehicles cost N500,000 each?
Truck 1: let that mileage be X => 3.5M - 6.249X = 0.5, solving for X=480,076 km
Truck 2: let that mileage be Y => 5.2M - 7.721X = 0.5, solving for Y=608,729 km
Bro, this is quite trickish i tell u. It confused me too.
The 2nd question is talking about a unified reading ( don't forget they always show the same reading since they convoy together).
If there residual values are equal at the same reading, that value can't be #1m.
Think about it
(The other answers are right)
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by paranorman(m): 11:43am On Aug 03, 2014
McWhillion: McWhillion Transports has acquired two trucks to carry different types of cargo. One costs #3,500,000; the other costs $5,200,000. The company expects that the first will last 400,050 km, after which it can be sold for salvage for about #1,000,000. The other will fetch the same salvage price, but will last 544,000 km. The two trucks convoy together, so they always show the same mileage readings.
If the value of each truck declines at different constant rates for every mile driven,
Calculate the rate of depreciation of each vehicle.
At what mileage readings will both vehicles cost #500,000 each?

solved it here already, i shouldnt post it since some1 has already privided the solution.. The second question, i cant inteprete it. Since they have different depreciation rate and they convoy together, i dont think they will be a km/mileage when they will have the same residuals simulteneously...
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by paranorman(m): 11:52am On Aug 03, 2014

insuffient data o..
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 11:58am On Aug 03, 2014
paranorman:

solved it here already, i shouldnt post it since some1 has already privided the solution.. The second question, i cant inteprete it. Since they have different depreciation rate and they convoy together, i dont think they will be a km/mileage when they will have the same residuals simulteneously...
Dont forget that they don't have the same rate of depreciation.
Truck A will be sold off first before B.
Since they have same meter reading, at 400,050km, Truck A will be worth #1m while truck B should cost more but there would be a time the two will cost the same at the same mileage reading.
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by paranorman(m): 12:26pm On Aug 03, 2014
McWhillion:
Since they have same meter reading, at 400,050km, Truck A will be worth #1m while truck B should cost more but there would be a time the two will cost the same at the same mileage reading.
i get ur point.. Lemme see if i can manipulate my way through..
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by paranorman(m): 12:54pm On Aug 03, 2014
McWhillion:
bros, i still do not think so o. I may b wrong though. They move together, they read same on mileage independtly. Second truck cost more than first.. We lookin for a mileage when they cost the same price..

For truck A,
3.5-6.25X=Y

for truck B,
5.4-7.72k=Y

where Y is the residual, and x and k are the respective distance each truck would have travalled so as to hav the same residuals.. Just thinkin out here.. Think it too bro.
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 3:06pm On Aug 03, 2014
@paranorman and kobonaire

Let’s look at it this way, the two trucks run simultaneously, also there odometers read the same figures at the same time but there rate of depreciation is different.
Let’s assume the following represents our rate of depreciation,
(V1-V2)/M
Where, V1 = first value of the truck, V2 = final value of the truck and M = mileage.
We’ve already determined the rate of depreciation for the two trucks as #6.249/km(R1) and #7.721/km(R2) respectively.
The question wants us to calculate for a period where the two trucks will read the same mileage and be worth the same value (i.e M and V2 are the same for both trucks)
If this is true, our equation becomes,
For truck 1---- (#3,500,000-V2)/m = 6.249
For truck 2---- (#5,200,000-V2)/m = 7.721
The above becomes,
3,500,000-V2=6.249M…(eq.1)
5,200,000-V2=7.721M…(eq.2)
Solving for both unknowns we get V2=
(-)#3,716,916,
and M= 1,154,891km
Although that answer is hypothetically impossible but mathematically right. If I had adjusted the values we would have gotten a positive answer.
The two equations can be likened on to two unparallel lines which must surely meet. The cordinates of that point where they meet is what we just calculated for
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by paranorman(m): 8:00pm On Aug 03, 2014
McWhillion:

Let’s look at it this way, the two trucks run simultaneously, also there odometers read the same figures at the same time but there rate of depreciation is different.
Let’s assume the following represents our rate of depreciation,
(V1-V2)/M
Where, V1 = first value of the truck, V2 = final value of the truck and M = mileage.
We’ve already determined the rate of depreciation for the two trucks as #6.249/km(R1) and #7.721/km(R2) respectively.
The question wants us to calculate for a period where the two trucks will read the same mileage and be worth the same value (i.e M and V2 are the same for both trucks)
If this is true, our equation becomes,
For truck 1---- (#3,500,000-V2)/m = 6.249
For truck 2---- (#5,200,000-V2)/m = 7.721
The above becomes,
3,500,000-V2=6.249M…(eq.1)
5,200,000-V2=7.721M…(eq.2)
Solving for both unknowns we get V2=
(-)#3,716,916,
and M= 1,154,891km
Although that answer is hypothetically impossible but mathematically right. If I had adjusted the values we would have gotten a positive answer.
The two equations can be likened on to two unparallel lines which must surely meet. The cordinates of that point where they meet is what we just calculated for
this is what i call 'manipulation' bro.. Good work bro. Two parralel line doesnt meet, do they?! Hehehe..

But come to think of it, we can always find the different mileage for the two trucks at the same residuals as long as they maintain their respective decay rate. Example of this is the last question. Accordint to ur solution(and you already affirm this), ur answer is logical but not realistic. So i dont think their will be ever be a M for which V2s are equal. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 10:35pm On Aug 03, 2014
paranorman:
this is what i call 'manipulation' bro.. Good work bro. Two parralel line doesnt meet, do they?! Hehehe..

But come to think of it, we can always find the different mileage for the two trucks at the same residuals as long as they maintain their respective decay rate. Example of this is the last question. Accordint to ur solution(and you already affirm this), ur answer is logical but not realistic. So i dont think their will be ever be a M for which V2s are equal. I stand to be corrected though.
Of course I can formulate figures that can meet such a condition. The problem with the question I brought here is that I didn't solve it before pasting in here.

It is like forming a question like
A boy buys a pen and a book for #20, the book costs #25. How much costs the pen?
The kind of mistake you noticed above is the kind I committed when forming the values for the question.
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by paranorman(m): 5:24am On Aug 04, 2014
Cool. Okay, i guess we both need to improve on our 'question-formin skills' cheesy..
I is a statistician.. Who art thou?
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 6:18am On Aug 04, 2014
paranorman: Cool. Okay, i guess we both need to improve on our 'question-formin skills' cheesy..
I is a statistician.. Who art thou?
A petrochemist yet to define his career path.
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by paranorman(m): 6:39am On Aug 04, 2014
McWhillion:
A petrochemist yet to define his career path.
you wan chop oyel money too abi? Hehehe. Time for work. Hv a nice day bro.

1 Like

Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by McWhillion(m): 9:14am On Aug 04, 2014
paranorman:
you wan chop oyel money too abi? Hehehe. Time for work. Hv a nice day bro.
Y not bro ,enjoy ur work.
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by kobonaire(m): 7:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
@McWhillion @paranorman you guys have solid math/logic knowledge .... keep up the good work, I'm learning a few things.
Re: For Maths Whiz Only!, Solve This. by oluplus(m): 3:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
busy now. later

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Experience At Yabatech Post Utme For Compsc / Finally Waec Releases 2015/2016 May June Examination Time Table / Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic 2015/2016 POST-UTME Screening Execise Is On Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.