Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors (21802 Views)

Why You Really Are Extra Tasty To Mosquitoes / Malaria Makes You Smell Delicious To Mosquitoes / This Small Patch Could Make You Invisible To Mosquitoes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by PrincessB1(f): 10:15am On Jul 28, 2014
So inspiring
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by Chrisx1x(m): 10:16am On Jul 28, 2014
Those with large nose,hope una dey hear o

1 Like

Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by scanp(m): 10:30am On Jul 28, 2014
Franchise21: I'm used to both cities. Buh I tell u "Lagos has it in abundance"
bros,,,,, e b like say u de 4 one village for,, bcus no mosquito 4 lagos city
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by Katier00(f): 10:41am On Jul 28, 2014
Olaooni88: No wonder they(mosquitos) are always Seeking u day&night bah..? Lol
yes, am very tall and have O blood, they always bite me like craze bt they dnt bite my kids n hubby that much. Lol

1 Like

Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by hardbody: 10:46am On Jul 28, 2014
jayseehe: very true, I sure know mosquitoes are attracted to CO2
.. and blood group O

but I doubt the tall people part, I think it has to do with body mass than CO2

another thing I know for sure mosquitoes are attracted to black... so if you wear black clothing, it will attract them

So mosquitoes can see and identify colours at night?

@ topic...i am addicted to beer which explains why they flock around me, but they duck and get drunk almost always. I have higher alchohol system in my body than blood. LOL
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by Hamsaini: 11:05am On Jul 28, 2014
Katier00: No wonder
horn before overtaking bros.
No wonder!!
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by myspnigeria: 11:09am On Jul 28, 2014
Hmmm. Lovely article.... I don learn new things
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by Katier00(f): 11:09am On Jul 28, 2014
Hamsaini: horn before overtaking bros.
No wonder!!
I dnt get u
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by vislabraye(m): 11:29am On Jul 28, 2014
I also want to believe that those with high pcv attract mosquito.
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by emiye(m): 11:34am On Jul 28, 2014
Mosquitoes are attracted to sweat.
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by youngds: 11:54am On Jul 28, 2014
[size=18pt]Am cool with d biting but, d music Na Na Na!!! So off key[/size]
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by blaxx: 12:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
babeface3: Mosquitoes are picky creatures — unsurprising if you’re the one always ducking for cover under a swarm of bloodsuckers while your friend remains unscathed. Good thing scientists are on the hunt to discover what makes certain people especially attractive to the tiny insects. Here are nine reasons they’ve come up with so far.

You Breathe

In many ways, no one is immune. The fact that humans breathe makes us all mosquito targets to varying degrees. More than 30 years ago, researchers discovered that carbon dioxide is one of the main reasons mosquitos seek us out. The insects will fly to higher concentrations of CO2 (i.e. - large groups of people at sporting events and backyard parties), then use other sights and smells to narrow down their target.

You’re Tall

Because larger people produce more carbon dioxide and more body heat, they’re naturally more attractive to mosquitoes. This is why, when in groups, adults usually get bitten more than children, and men are targeted more often than women.

You’re Pregnant

Along with swollen feet and morning sickness, pregnant women are also nearly twice as likely to get bitten than those who are not expecting, according to one international study. Two reasons: Pregnant women produce excess amounts of carbon dioxide and body heat.

You Exercise Regularly

During a workout, the body produces a chemical called lactic acid, which is released through sweat glands on the skin. And one German study confirmed that mosquitoes can detect and are attracted to lactic acid at close range.

Your Feet Stink

One study published in the journal PLOS ONE found that people with a higher abundance but lower diversity of bacteria on their feet are highly attractive to mosquitoes. The bacteria, which is pungent, is also found in Limburger cheese and is so effective at attracting mosquitoes, that scientists are using the cheese to trap and control the flies in Africa.

You’re Wearing Perfume

Mosquitoes suck the nectar of flowers for energy, so they’re attracted to floral scents. And certain floral odors are effective enough that researchers are figuring out how to use them to lure mosquitoes with their sweetness.

You’re Genetically Predisposed

Your genes are responsible for your body odor, so scientists are starting to test how genetic makeup could affect one’s susceptibility to mosquitoes. For example, one study published in the journal Infections, Genetics, and Evolution found that people with a particular HLA gene are more likely to be bitten.

You Drink Beer

Downing just one 12-ounce beer can increase the risk of being bitten, says the Journal of the American Mosquito Association, although it’s unclear why. Just make sure that backyard beer is worth it.

You Have O Blood Type

This one is debatable. Several studies, including the most recent published in the journal Experimental Parasitology, show that people with blood type O are more likely to get bitten. However Joseph M. Conlon, a technical adviser to the American Mosquito Control Association, has disputed some of the research, blaming “bad statistics.”

https://www.yahoo.com/health/9-reasons-youre-a-mosquito-magnet-91764600447.html

mosquito and liquor go together... Interesting!
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by inositol88(m): 12:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
nice topic, but wat about some insecticides dat smell like perfume?
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 28, 2014
Mosquitoes seeking Africans out because of smelling bodies! There is need to clean up the slummy nature of the surroundings in Nigeria. Sh*t!

I DON'T KNOW WHY NIGERIANS LIKE DIRTY ENVIRONMENT. Jeez!
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 28, 2014
Are bees the same?

When I was a kid, I disturbed a beehive with some of my little friends, and guess what? I was the only one who wasn't stung repeatedly in the madness that followed. Ever since then, I've noticed them (the bees) just hovering around me. It's quite unusual. I even stopped wearing fragrances for a bit, thinking it was the reason, but nothing. Oh well. It'll bee alright.

1 Like

Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by ramdris(m): 5:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
Oyinbo dem with all their yeye research sef. Well may b na d mosquito wey dey their side dem dey tall cos d one here in ajegunle dey even suck my cat. shocked
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by MegMich(m): 5:22pm On Jul 28, 2014
From the entomologist point of view, large body mass does attract mosquito.
Also, the thing about the blood group O is debatable. Mosquitoes can't tell one blood grp from anoda. However, there are protective factors even when bitten. These include-
#Infants less than 6 months.
#AS hemoglobin genotype....@ they don't suffer the severe form.
#Africans especially in the tropics-- we've got the Duffy antigens and are saved from the vivax specie of mosquito. Moreover, we're in endemic area and as such, can't suffer the severe form of malaria since our immune system has been equiped via exposure to mosquito from child birth.
#Those lacking G-6-P-D enzyme.
Therefore, the blood group O thing 'may' just be a protective factor.
Malaria could be worst in the following group-
#Infants greater than 6 months because the maternal immunity must have waned by then.
#SS genotype.
#White race.
#Pregnant women.
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by MegMich(m): 6:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
It is not the smelly body that attracts mosquito, its rather a deduction that once you smelly, you'll likely have a dirty environment.
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by Sarimah(f): 7:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nobleval: shocked shocked
mosquito go soon enter ya mouth grin
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
Sarimah: mosquito go soon enter ya mouth grin
I reject that IJN.
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by Franchise21(m): 10:08pm On Jul 28, 2014
scanp: bros,,,,, e b like say u de 4 one village for,, bcus no mosquito 4 lagos city
Get ur facts right
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by judedwriter(m): 10:11pm On Jul 28, 2014
cuttiemama: Mehn! The mosquito thing tire me. Very annoying creatures.
That's why they need your blood-to continue to annoy u grin
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by streetzdreamz(m): 10:30pm On Jul 28, 2014
cuttiemama: Mehn! The mosquito thing tire me. Very annoying creatures.
u cute,@ topic dose creatures r so annoying sometimes I just ignore em,same goes for houseflies,swift,sensitive n very annoying....I wonder why they were created in d first place lipsrsealed
Re: Reasons You Are More Attractive to Mosquitoes Than Your Neighbors by maestroferddi: 1:09am On Jul 29, 2014
Mayydayy: taaa!!ahdonbelifit.
if mosquitoe truely like carbondioide why them no dey bite tree abi human being produce CO2 pass tree.
give me another story.biko
Wetin you get for Integrated Science for Junior Secondary?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Scientists Find Aggressive New HIV Strain ( Seems Confined To West Africa) / Please Help A Friend. He Is About To Commit Suicide!! / Use Loving Care Body Lotion To Get Rid Of That Spots On Your Skin And Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.