Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,028 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian (3555 Views)

Boko Haram Members Killed While In Training In Iraq / I Hope Febuhari Won't Make Us The Last Christians Of Nigeria / Boko-Haram Killed 10 Christians In Borno State!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 28, 2014
Car by car, family by family, frightened Iraqi Christians by the thousands fled their ancient Iraqi homeland over the weekend. With broken hearts and little more than the clothes on their backs, they’ve left behind their houses, businesses, and churches – everything they’ve known.

The Islamic State (ISIS) terror group announced through their mosques on Friday afternoon that local Christians must either convert to Islam, pay an exorbitant Muslim tax – the jizya, which amounts to protection money – or leave the city. If they did not conform to these demands by noon on Saturday, July 19, there would be “nothing for them but the sword.”

Christianity is not new to the region. It was introduced by two of Jesus’ own disciples – St. Thomas and St. Thaddeus (also known as St. Jude) in the 1st Century.

But the ancient roots of Iraq’s Christianity have now been violently ripped out of the country’s spiritual soil.

Most of the Nineveh Plain’s Christians – once numbering more than a hundred thousand – had already fled to Erbil and other destinations in Kurdistan before ISIS’s recent declaration, seeking the protection of the Kurdish Peshmerga’s warriors.

Now the rest of the refugees – many of the last Christians in Iraq – have joined them.

It’s not surprising that the vicious tactics of the IS/ISIS terrorists horrify most observers. As is often reported on social media – with substantial videographic evidence – they have beheaded, mutilated, raped, stoned and even crucified those whose behavior is “unIslamic” or whose religious convictions displease them.

The West has managed to muster a tepid response. For example on Sunday, a statement emanating from the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon’s spokesman:

“...condemned in the strongest terms the systematic persecution of minority populations in Iraq by Islamic State (IS) and associated armed groups. He is particularly disturbed by reports of threats against Christians in Mosul and other IS-controlled parts of Iraq, including an ultimatum to either convert, pay a tax, leave, or face imminent execution…”

The UN, US, EU and numerous others have all denounced IS/ISIS.

But the various powers’ “strongly worded” official condemnations seem to be little more than indignant complaints.

President Obama, for example, has demonstrated no inclination to apply American muscle to ISIS. Speaking about their activities in Syria, he explained,

"What we can't do is think that we're just going to play Whac-a-Mole and send U.S. troops occupying various countries wherever these organizations pop up…."

Rather than fighting fire with fire, western leaders apparently imagine that diplomatic endeavors – including “strongly worded” denunciations – will stop zealous murderers in their tracks.

Really?

Obama and his cohorts seem to have an astonishingly high regard for their persuasive skills.

At the same time, they demonstrate only a dim awareness of the terrorists’ fierce religious fervor.

Devoutly committed to radical Islamist ideology – whether of the Sunni or Shia variety – fanatics like ISIS, al-Qaeda, Hezbollah and Iran’s ayatollahs quite sincerely view the West as the primary force of evil in the world.

Why would such “holy warriors” negotiate with western evildoers?

Only, perhaps, to deceive them.

In Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Egypt, Iran, Iraq and elsewhere, it is abundantly clear that such niceties as “dialogue” are of little interest to bloodthirsty savages.

In the meantime, as American strength diminishes around the globe, the dangers posed by radical Islamist groups like ISIS are exploding exponentially.

And where does this leave the Iraq’s Christians and other minorities whose lives are at stake? Sadly, they are well aware that no host of valiant defenders is going to come to their rescue. In fact, the Iraqi Army virtually melted away when ISIS appeared.

So for the Christians, “Convert, pay the jizya tax, or die,” means, quite simply, that there is little alternative but to flee -- except in a small number of villages over which Kurdistan has extended a protective umbrella.

Thus, most Christians have fled.

Still, some intrepid Iraqi Christians refuse to give up. “If we all leave, it sends the message that there is nowhere safe for Christians to live in Iraq — and this worries me,” Syrian Catholic Archbishop of Mosul, Yohanna Petros Mouche, told the Washington Post. “I’m not a vagabond. This is my home, and I will die here if necessary.”

Such fortitude is inspiring. And yet courage and determination cannot eclipse such excruciating losses. Whether Iraq’s Christians stay or go, nothing can remove the devastating sense of injury and injustice they are experiencing.

“Many Christians interviewed expressed a sense of utter abandonment and desolation,” the New York Times reported. They remarked that the sound of church bells mingled with the Muslim calls to prayer – a symbol of Mosul’s long-standing religious tolerance – “would likely never be heard again.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/07/22/last-christians-in-iraq/

5 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Rich4god(m): 12:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
Things are getting out of hand in this world...

2 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 12:34pm On Jul 28, 2014
God dey
Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by lekkie073(m): 12:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
Everywhere in the world, Islam is wrecking havoc......

17 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
lekkie073: Everywhere in the world, Islam is wrecking havoc......

But they keep living in denial!

Folks, a stitch in time saves nine!
Let us give them an Islamic State before it is too late!

13 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by lekkie073(m): 12:56pm On Jul 28, 2014
noblezone:

Let us give them an Islamic State before it is too late!

u mean d north?
Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Crown128(m): 1:00pm On Jul 28, 2014
''In Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Egypt, Iran, Iraq and elsewhere, it is abundantly clear that such niceties as “dialogue” are of little interest to bloodthirsty savages''
Hey! So Nigeria is now listed with these countries? God help us.

1 Like

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 28, 2014
lekkie073: u mean d north?

Yes!

Let them have an Islamic State!

We can negotiate for defection and free passage of our Christian Brethren who originate from there!
I am sure that we can rehabilitate and take care of them!

Then, we shall draw the boundaries, where in they must not cross!

I have fears! If we don't act fast, ISIS, Al Qaeda, Taliban, etc might face us and the UN will only appear on CNN "condemning" the attacks!

9 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by theplanmaker: 1:07pm On Jul 28, 2014
why do we have to tolerate this people? Arewa youths have indicated interest to divide, the east has been ready since the civil war, the south and west won't mind, and people are dying. so the question is why haven't we seperated?

10 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Vado(m): 1:15pm On Jul 28, 2014
Obama, such a wimp.

1 Like

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by omophunky(m): 1:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
our father, who
art in heaven
I'm not ashamed to ask for guidance at
twenty-seven
No longer afraid to knock on your door
Not scared anymore to lose my life in the
war
After what I just saw, I'm ridin with the
Lord
Cause I really can't afford to lose my
head by the sword
And now that I've seen, what I need to see
Please take me, where I - need to be
(What have you learned?) It's better to tell
the truth than to lie
(What have you learned?) To love my life
until I die
(What have you learned?) Violence isn't
always the key
(What have you learned?) You can't
always believe what you see
(What have you learned?) It's better to
forgive and forget
(What have you learned?) Give as you
expect to get
(What have you learned?) That I can't go
on without you.

2 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by kinharold(m): 2:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
theplanmaker: why do we have to tolerate this people? Arewa youths have indicated interest to divide, the east has been ready since the civil war, the south and west won't mind, and people are dying. so the question is why haven't we separated?

One question I have always asked. Who then is afraid of the separation

1 Like

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by aluunoble: 2:13pm On Jul 28, 2014
What then happens to southern muslims, will they nt be infiltrated?
Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by aluunoble: 2:15pm On Jul 28, 2014
aluunoble: What then happens to southern muslims, will they nt be infiltrated?
noblezone:
Yes!
Let them have an Islamic State!
We can negotiate for defection and free passage of our Christian Brethren who originate from there!
I am sure that we can rehabilitate and take care of them!
Then, we shall draw the boundaries, where in they must not cross!
I have fears! If we don't act fast, ISIS, Al Qaeda, Taliban, etc might face us and the UN will only appear on CNN "condemning" the attacks!
quote author=etunoman76]

http://www.npf.gov.ng/news/view-news?id=320#.U9QVD7GmSSp[/quote]
Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by blackfase(m): 2:18pm On Jul 28, 2014
Thats why Angola is the place to be bru...Islam has no place there.

5 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by thewarrior72: 2:22pm On Jul 28, 2014
When I look at Muslims & look at Koran what I see is, the extremist & the terrorists are the ones obeying all the tenant of Koran

6 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by engrtee(f): 2:44pm On Jul 28, 2014
Muslims are problem in the world

6 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 28, 2014
aluunoble: quote author=etunoman76]

http://www.npf.gov.ng/news/view-news?id=320#.U9QVD7GmSSp

And your point is?

I am not afraid of being accused for Cyber crime over this matter Sir!
I am more afraid of extreme Islam and the havoc it wrecks than being arrested for suggesting that they should be allowed to have an Islamic state while we have our own free society!

By the way Sir, what is your own suggestion on how to solve the problem?

or are you a professional critic who only criticizes without offering any solution!

i wish you well.
Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by fairheven: 2:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
I blame the Americans for all this,first they overthrow Saddam Hussain,in the name of fighting terror,thereby making Iran more powerful;because wen Saddam was in power ,Iran was far subdued(Saddam was like a bull-dog) against Iran.
Secondly,under Saddam,Iraqi christians were far better of,now they the are been hounded down an slaughtered.
The same scenario is playing out in countries that US had overthrown Or tryin to romove their leader like Iraq,Libya and currently Syria,even afghanistan,am not saying that this leaders are good but somehow,they are "neccessarily evil"

4 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by AltarBoy1: 3:31pm On Jul 28, 2014
Thats why I miss the crusade of the old... By now the knights for don dey protect these christians...

5 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
fairheven: I blame the Americans for all this,first they overthrow Saddam Hussain,in the name of fighting terror,thereby making Iran more powerful;because wen Saddam was in power ,Iran was far subdued(Saddam was like a bull-dog) against Iran.
Secondly,under Saddam,Iraqi christians were far better of,now they the are been hounded down an slaughtered.
The same scenario is playing out in countries that US had overthrown Or tryin to romove their leader like Iraq,Libya and currently Syria,even afghanistan,am not saying that this leaders are good but somehow,they are "neccessarily evil"

Bros, come back home to Nigeria!

What do we do to stop the onslaught of these merchants of death?

1 Like

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by fairheven: 4:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
noblezone:

Bros, come back home to Nigeria!

What do we do to stop the onslaught of these merchants of death?
Unfortunately,we have a weak leader in JONATHAN.I don't like obasanjo or Abacha either,but wt is happening now can never happen in their tenure.ee have amilltary that is lacking motivation,billion are budgeted for defence every year,more than anyother sector of the economy,yet our solgdiers keep crying of poor welfare,an yet the Jona wants to get 1billion dollars lone.hi is afraid of coup,so he lacks the will to ask how the money is been spent.

3 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
fairheven:
Unfortunately,we have a weak leader in JONATHAN.I don't like obasanjo or Abacha either,but wt is happening now can never happen in their tenure.ee have amilltary that is lacking motivation,billion are budgeted for defence every year,more than anyother sector of the economy,yet our solgdiers keep crying of poor welfare,an yet the Jona wants to get 1billion dollars lone.hi is afraid of coup,so he lacks the will to ask how the money is been spent.

We don't have a weak leader!
Rather we a falsehood for nationhood!

3 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by jakiedudu(m): 4:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
I love all Muslims but I HATE ISLAM!!!

3 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by fairheven: 4:53pm On Jul 28, 2014
noblezone:

We don't have a weak leader!
Rather we a falsehood for nationhood!

"falsehood for nationhood" meanin we are not suppose to be a nation,then why can't we devide?if JONA can not call the millitary to order,do u call that a strong leader?if billions budgeted for deffence is not acvountd for,is that strong leadership?why shud he seek for loan wen previous allocation has not been judiciously utilised,strong leader?why do we have an army is reacting to bomb attacks instead os been proactive?strong leader?

1 Like

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 28, 2014
fairheven:

"falsehood for nationhood" meanin we are not suppose to be a nation,then why can't we devide?if JONA can not call the millitary to order,do u call that a strong leader?if billions budgeted for deffence is not acvountd for,is that strong leadership?why shud he seek for loan wen previous allocation has not been judiciously utilised,strong leader?why do we have an army is reacting to bomb attacks instead os been proactive?strong leader?
Love Your posts Sire, You re saying the gospel truth!
Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by toxco: 5:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
IS = ISLAMIC STUPIDITY

TAKE NOTE.
Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
fairheven:

We are in the process of dividing, please join the race for it.

As for Jonathan and the military, bros, among the law enforcement agents are officers who work hand in hand with the enemy.
Officers are sent out and then betrayed into the hands of the enemy.

Bro, it is not as simple as you think it is.
Nigeria is jinxed!

3 Likes

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by alotofgrace(m): 6:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
battle is no longer by the nations, but by religion

what of the eckankars, grail messengers, hare krishnas, Buddhist, Taoist, Hindus ?
Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 28, 2014
alotofgrace: battle is no longer by the nations, but by religion

what of the eckankars, grail messengers, hare krishnas, Buddhist, Taoist, Hindus ?

Among all religions, only one is violent! You know which!

1 Like

Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
Read the link in my signature below to know more about the ones right next to you
Re: The Last Christians In Iraq! A Warning To Nigerian by Lilimax(f): 8:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
That religion is a NO tongue to me. sad Just thinking on how they win converts to their religion with these wicked moves wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan Seeks Support For Buhari’s Wife / Prime Minister Of Nertherlands Rides Bicycle To His Office (photo) / Islam Is A Religion Of Peace And Political Stability Globally - Cramjones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.