Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola (4604 Views)

PDP Govs Brand Fayose A Potential Future Leader / Prof. Maurice Iwu Finds Possible Cure For Ebola - BBC / Dino Melaye Is A Potential HIV Carrier, He Gave Me Syphilis- Actress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Emchio: 1:02pm On Jul 29, 2014
Working in a secretive quarantined lab, scientists in the US have discovered a small molecule that saves monkeys and rodents from one of the world's most terrifying viruses.

Image: Giovanni Cancemi/Shutterstock
Ebola and related viruses cause hemorrhagic fever and death through organ failure, and can have a mortality rate of up to 90%, among the highest of any known human disease.

But researchers working in a high-contaminant biological laboratory maintained by USAMRIID at Fort Detrick in Maryland, US, may have found a potential cure, they've reported in Nature.

The scientists have discovered a molecule, named BCX4430, which looks a lot like the "A" that makes up DNA: adenosine. Adenosine is one of four base pairs in DNA, and is also used in the genomes of RNA-based viruses, such as Ebola.

But because BCX4430 looks so much like Adenosine, the scientists found that members of the Filoviridae virus family, such as Ebola, can accidentally use it as a building block when trying to grow inside our cells.

This is a deadly mistake, writes RealClearScience, as BCX4430 blocks virus growth and reproduction and stops the virus in its tracks.

In the study, the team gave Macaque monkeys effected with the deadly Marburg virus (a close relative to Ebola) two doses for BCX4430 a day for 14 days.

The monkeys who weren't given any of the treatment were dead by day 12, whereas all but one monkey who was given BCX4430 survived, even if they only received treatment 48 hours after they were infected.

Luckily, only viruses appear to be tricked into using BCX4430, and human and monkey cells do just fine with the molecule around.

In vitro experiments also suggest that BCX4430 could potentially be used against a wide range of viruses, including SARS, influenza, measles and dengue.

It's too early to get excited just yet, with no human trials yet conducted. But the newly discovered molecule holds the greatest potential we've ever seen for curing these terrifying diseases.

http://pda.sciencealert.com.au/news/20142204-25416.html

5 Likes

Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by bIoodykiller: 1:07pm On Jul 29, 2014
grin
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 29, 2014
Better
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Meestique: 1:20pm On Jul 29, 2014
As e happen for here, nigerians don close down hospital sharp sharp. Thank God for the whites...! Left for africans alone, u can imagine the rest.
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Lildreezy(m): 1:27pm On Jul 29, 2014
what is happening to african universities, and research centers?

if it is to protest about the Gaza war, abi being used as thugs for election, or to come online as stupid pay per post agents for the pdp and apc, they would be very active!

14 Likes

Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by eaglechild: 1:27pm On Jul 29, 2014
Please stop misleading the public.

A cure in monkeys does not translate to a cure in humans.

At least not yet.

Please no one should drop there guard on basic hygiene and other methods of prevention.

There in NO cure yet.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Emchio: 1:29pm On Jul 29, 2014
eaglechild: Please stop misleading the public.

A cure in monkeys does not translate to a cure in humans.

At least not yet.

Please no one should drop there guard on basic hygiene and other methods of prevention.

There in NO cure yet.

How old are you?

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by eaglechild: 1:29pm On Jul 29, 2014
Emchio:

How old are you?
I can see you have just edited the heading to POTENTIAL.

That is better.
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 29, 2014
a disease surfaced on african soil, is killing africans in drove, not yet among the whites, but they are already reporting a cure for this disease!
What exactly is the purpose of blacks on earth?

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by uzeba(m): 1:34pm On Jul 29, 2014
‪‎
NaijaGirls‬ na wa ooo
Some girls think Ebola‬ is anoda Hit song lyk DoroBucci‬, they have started changing their BB names and even Facebook name to EbolaSexy‬, EbolaDiva‬, EbolaPearl‬, EbolaChic‬, EbolaDuchess‬, EbolaCreamie‬, Pls Ladies, Ebola na disease ohhh!!&.. Plsss guys beware of girls with such names Ooo!!
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Emchio: 1:39pm On Jul 29, 2014
eaglechild:
I can see you have just edited the heading to POTENTIAL.

That is better.

That's the confusion you get, when you don't read before commenting! Edit what?
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by gentleoyink: 1:43pm On Jul 29, 2014
Lildreezy: what is happening to african universities, and research centers?

if it is to protest about the Gaza war, abi being used as thugs for election, or to come online as stupid pay per post agents for the pdp and apc, they would be very active!

Especially Nigerian Universities ---- they go on strike annually that's whats up grin

No single research finding from them. A disease will affect Africa and kill Africans until their saviours from another continent bring the cure. Na only to tell us say them be ASUU na I'm them sabi.

5 Likes

Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by eaglechild: 1:43pm On Jul 29, 2014
Emchio:

That's the confusion you get, when you don't read before commenting! Edit what?

Please do not feign ignorance.
Bye.
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Rikidony(m): 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
after it has killed UPto 900 people undecidedundecided
meanwhile chek out chocolate city new kid on the block Dice Ailes https://www.nairaland.com/1833811/meet-chocolate-city-new-kid
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
wazoboy: a disease surfaced on african soil, is killing africans in drove, not yet among the whites, but they are already reporting a cure for this disease!
omg! U t.w.at.!
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Rikidony(m): 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
uzeba: ‪‎
NaijaGirls‬ na wa ooo
Some girls think Ebola‬ is anoda Hit song lyk DoroBucci‬, they have started changing their BB names and even Facebook name to EbolaSexy‬, EbolaDiva‬, EbolaPearl‬, EbolaChic‬, EbolaDuchess‬, EbolaCreamie‬, Pls Ladies, Ebola na disease ohhh!!&.. Plsss guys beware of girls with such names Ooo!!
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎

NW LET ME LAFF......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...... MCHWWWW

DUDE U CAN DO BETA ..... CHEK OUT CHOC CITY NEW KID DICE AILES https://www.nairaland.com/1833811/meet-chocolate-city-new-kid
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by jamace(m): 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
Meestique: As e happen for here, nigerians don close down hospital sharp sharp. Thank God for the whites...! Left for africans alone, u can imagine the rest.
Na dem cause am. So na dem fit fine the cure. Before before, dis sickness no dey blackman place. We dey chop our bush meat jejelly without wahala. See how onyibo don come cause kata kata for pepper soup joint with EBOLA? Na wa o! shocked shocked Infact, what is the full meaning of EBOLA sef?
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by naffysa(f): 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2014
Ok
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by oldenglish: 2:01pm On Jul 29, 2014
wazoboy: a disease surfaced on african soil, is killing africans in drove, not yet among the whites, but they are already reporting a cure for this disease!
Do you think this Ebola just surfaced? They have been preparing Ebola and the cure for long time now.
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by mekadinho(f): 2:06pm On Jul 29, 2014
Meestique: As e happen for here, nigerians don close down hospital sharp sharp. Thank God for the whites...! Left for africans alone, u can imagine the rest.
Hahaha...... Abeg, let me eat in peace. Were my spoon fall enter self?
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by mekadinho(f): 2:09pm On Jul 29, 2014
Hahaha...... I think its time I leave ds thread, b4 people start thinking I am going mental...
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 29, 2014
The bad business.. invariably something must keep raking them golds to the west. that tool for the exchange of the mines u don't wanna give out so cheap. The bad business, , , that's what's going down.

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Emchio: 2:12pm On Jul 29, 2014
eaglechild:

Please do not feign ignorance.
Bye.

Click the link, and check it's subject.

Like I asked, how old are you?
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by mekadinho(f): 2:16pm On Jul 29, 2014
jamace: Na dem cause am. So na dem fit fine the cure. Before before, dis sickness no dey blackman place. We dey chop our bush meat jejelly without wahala. See how onyibo don come cause kata kata for pepper soup joint with EBOLA? Na wa o! shocked shocked Infact, what is the full meaning of EBOLA sef?
I wish its possible to deep my hand inside my laptop, search 4 you where u are, be it in SAMBISA or Gaza, and design ur face with slaps 4 writing rubbish. Oyibo wan save ur save, u dey here dey type non-sense.
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by jamace(m): 2:18pm On Jul 29, 2014
mekadinho:
I wish its possible to deep my hand inside my laptop, search 4 you where u are, be it in SAMBISA or Gaza, and design ur face with slaps 4 writing rubbish. Oyibo wan save ur save, u dey here dey type non-sense.
What is the full meaning of EBOLA and what tribe has that word?
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by lomprico(m): 2:25pm On Jul 29, 2014
Have it occured to u that its this same white that might have engineered this viruses n test it on africans?
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 29, 2014
oldenglish: Do you think this Ebola just surfaced? They have been preparing Ebola and the cure for long time now.
Another conspiracy theory embarassed embarassed undecided cry Aaaafriiicaaaa cry
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by DJDOLA(m): 2:28pm On Jul 29, 2014
uzeba: ‪‎
NaijaGirls‬ na wa ooo
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
‪‎
its not funny anymore....try another joke...aboki
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 29, 2014
lomprico:
Have it occured to u that its this same white that might have engineered this viruses n test it on africans?
Why cant we engineer one and test it on them?

1 Like

Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by Meestique: 2:34pm On Jul 29, 2014
lomprico:
Oh Goodness! Exactly what was said when HIV came. Has it occured to u dat had it been so, they would av had the cure before-hand?
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by elomepee: 2:36pm On Jul 29, 2014
Emchio:

How old are you?

A beg help me ask am.
Africans, may God help us
Re: Scientists Have Found A Potential Cure For Ebola by wirinet(m): 2:37pm On Jul 29, 2014
My brother that is the bane of we blacks. We are only interested in enjoyment and merriment and let others do the hard work for us. After all we have oil, gold and diamond in the soil to sell to the hard working Europeans and Asians.

It is embarassing that it is Europeans and Asians that is thinking about solving our problems. They help US invent drugs for malaria even though it is purely black mans disease, the same for Sickle Cell Disorder and now they are working hard at solving our Ebola disease. You wonder what they do in our universities and research institutes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Aren't We Allowed To Take Pictures In Nigerian Airport Terminal::::::::::::: / Time To Classify “I Am Not Igbo” Rants As A Disease Or Symptom!, By Paul Achalla / PANDEMONIUM IN ONITSHA ( Mosques, Trailer, Shop, Kiosk Burnt)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.