Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,906 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa (1598 Views)

GEJ Biggest Deceivers... Political Tsunami / Political Tsunami As 84 PDP Senators Lose Primaries! / 2011: Political Tsunami Looms In Nigeria, Says Seer, Warns Yar'adua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 30, 2014
Written by barcanista

Since the Return of Democracy in 1999, the ruling People's Democratic Party has Won all Four Presidential Elections, with Fmr President Olusegun Obasanjo Winning Two of the four to enjoy successive terms. The Party through its one time National Chairman Ahmadu Ali boasted in 2006 that the "PDP Will Rule Nigeria For uninterrupted Sixty Years". PDP Candidates late Musa Yar Adua and Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan won the 2007 and 2011 editions respectively. As 2015 poll draws closer, let us examine what has played in Africa in recent years.

Since 2010, A Total of Four(4) Incumbent Presidents has lost re-election bid in Cote d'Voir, Malawi, Senegal and Zambia as well as a shock successful bid of long time Guinea's opposition leader Alpha Conde. Below is a summary of Political Tsunami in Africa since 2010.

1. Laurent Gbagbo (Cote Ivoire): Assumed Power 26 October 2000
The 4 December 2010 election saw Political Rival Alassane Ouattara was declared winner. After the announcement of the result, incumbent Gbagbo complained irregularity of which International observers disputes. Not wanting to let go of power, he was forced out by youth groups in 11 April 2011 after a series of civil conflict. Gbagbo became the first casualty.

2. Rupiah Bwezani Banda(Zambia): Assumed Power 29 June 2008
Banda's rise to power could be likened to that of President Jonathan Goodluck of Nigeria. Was Appointed Vice President in October 2006. He later assumed the role of Acting President on 29 June 2009 after then President Levy Mwanawasa stroke and died. He was elected to President in October 2008 election. Opposition leader Michael Sata defeated Banda in the September 2011 presidential election, and Sata accordingly succeeded Banda as President on 23 September 2011. Banda lost his re-election bid.
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 30, 2014
3. Abdoulaye Wade (Senegal): Assumed Power 1 April 2000
Wade was an opposition leader that contested and lost 4 successive Presidential election in Senegal. In 2000 election, he defeated incumbent Abdou Diouf(Who had been in Power since 1981). He was re-elected in 2007. In 2012 Presidential election, Wade declared for a 3rd Term despite protest by the opposition kicking against it. Wade lost the election to Opposition Leader Macky Sall in the 2012 polls.

4. Joyce Banda (Malawi): Assumed Power 7 April 2012
Banda served as the Vice President of Malawi between May 2009 to April 2012. She was Sworn in as President following the death of President Bingu wa Mutharika in April 2012. She became the First Female President and Vice President of Malawi. She was named as the Most Powerful Woman in Africa by FORBES in 2014. The 2014 Presidential election saw Banda suffering a heavy defeat to Arthur Peter Mutharika, who happens to be the Younger Brother of the late President. Her bid to remain in power after the defeat was unsuccessful. Subsequently, she congratulated the Arthur Peter Mutharika.

NIGERIA'S ELECTION
14 February 2015 willl see Nigerian electorates trooping to the poll to elect their Leader. The opposition party All Progress Congress look to be more formidable than in previous elections. Can the APC be able to upstage the incumbent and ruling PDP to make President Goodluck Jonathan the next victim of political tsumani? Or Will the PDP prove itself as "the biggest party in Africa"? Can Jonathan be able to cross the hurdles?

Your Contribution pls....
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by desgiezd(m): 3:57pm On Jul 30, 2014
We all wait and see as it is a waiting game.
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2014
desgiezd: We all wait and see as it is a waiting game.
Whoever think 2015 Presidential poll will be a walk over for any candidate is day-dreaming. The ruling party will want to make use of incumbency to their advantage. The Opposition will want to use their collective influence and strength to their own advantage. I expect intrigues and political calculations, and miscalculations in the coming weeks.
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by gunuvi(m): 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2014
its not yet time for Nigeria. we still love our president. gej till 2019 and beyond
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 30, 2014
gunuvi: its not yet time for Nigeria. we still love our president. gej till 2019 and beyond
I am sure every incumbents usually enjoy support from certain quarters.
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by desgiezd(m): 4:09pm On Jul 30, 2014
whatlyf: Whoever think 2015 Presidential poll will be a walk over for any candidate is day-dreaming. The ruling party will want to make use of incumbency to their advantage. The Opposition will want to use their collective influence and strength to their own advantage. I expect intrigues and political calculations, and miscalculations in the coming weeks.

These intrigues, political calculations and miscalculations have already started in earnest. What about the impeachments that's the order of the day now. I guess it will get more intriguing in the coming days. Its only those that have strong hearts that should watch the matches/drama as they unfold.
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 30, 2014
desgiezd: ^^^ These intrigues, political calculations and miscalculations have already started in earnest. What about the impeachments that's the order of the day now. I guess it will get more intriguing in the coming days. Its only those that have strong hearts that should watch the matches/drama as they unfold.
You are right. The first intrigue is the return to power of Ayo Fayose. In my own opinion, the gale of impeachment and threat of impeachment by PDP Majority State Houses against their respective Governors is Political Miscalculation on the part of the ruling PDP. My opinion.
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by desgiezd(m): 4:47pm On Jul 30, 2014
^^^ I agree with you totally on this, otherwise why would the legislators in Nasarawa relocate to a remote place and carry on with the process even when people are protesting against it. Its something that can drive sympathy votes in favour of the opposition.
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 30, 2014
desgiezd: ^^^ I agree with you totally on this, otherwise why would the legislators in Nasarawa relocate to a remote place and carry on with the process even when people are protesting against it. Its something that can drive sympathy votes in favour of the opposition.
The process of impeachment in recent times is laughable. In one of the dailies last week, I saw the new speaker of Ebonyi State House of Assembly and some of her members holding plenary in front of her house with a mace placed on a wooden bench.
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by desgiezd(m): 5:15pm On Jul 30, 2014
OlaJohnson1:
The process of impeachment in recent times is laughable. In one of the dailies last week, I saw the new speaker of Ebonyi State House of Assembly and some of her members holding plenary in front of her house with a mace placed on a wooden bench.

LOL! Please tell me its a scene from Nollywood!
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 30, 2014
desgiezd: ^^^ I agree with you totally on this, otherwise why would the legislators in Nasarawa relocate to a remote place and carry on with the process even when people are protesting against it. Its something that can drive sympathy votes in favour of the opposition.
the impeachment in nassarawa is the most unfortunate step taken by a house. That they are doing such despite the resultant crisis is laughable. The party did not realise that controlling government house doesn't necessarily translate to gaining popular support.

Sympathy vote on d reckoning
Re: 2015 Presidential Election And Political Tsunami In Africa by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jul 30, 2014
OlaJohnson1:
Am I surprised? No...its d same naija that minority impeached Ladoja in 2006

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Urges Buhari To Be Truthful In His Presidential Campaign / A Senators Monthly Salary + Allowance(Aprox 1.5Million Naria) / How To Make Your Own War College Plaque Like APC Urchins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.