Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations (688 Views)

Who Can Help Me Send Bulk Emails To Promote An Event / Get Paid $0.1 For Each Person That Reads Your Post / I Need The Software For Sending Bulk Emails To Only Nigerian Mail Owners. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 30, 2014

Google has announced that it wants to help
users have a good time
while on holiday. While
that sounds great, the
search giant is doing it
in a creepy way - by reading your emails.

Google explains, "traveling this summer?
If your hotel
confirmation is in your
Gmail, you can now ask
Google for things to do,
eat or see to do nearby without the fuss looking
up where you’re
staying.

Tap the mic on the
Google app and say
'Show me restaurants
around my hotel' or
'Give me directions to
my hotel from here'. You'll be finding your
way around like a local
in no time".

Read more: How To Protect Your Email
Privacy

Don't get it wrong,
that sounds really neat
and I am sure Google's
intentions are good.
However, think about
what the company is saying. It will monitor all
of your Gmail emails, in
hopes that one of them
will contain a hotel
confirmation.

If it does find a
confirmation, it will
internally flag your
profile. Then, the search
giant's computers will
essentially wait for you to ask them for nearby
restaurants or
directions near
"my hotel".

Unfortunately, there
seems to be no way to
opt in or opt out. So, if
you book a hotel and
expect that to be
private - surprise, Google knows too! Of
course, for tech geeks
in the know, Google
monitoring emails is
nothing new - targeted
advertising is what keeps the email service
free. Still, it seems that
every time Google
thinks up a new way to
utilise email monitoring,
the service just feels a bit creepier.

What do you think
about Google monitoring
your emails for hotel
confirmation? Creepy or
cool?

SOURCE: www.itproportal.com/2014/07/30/google-confirms-it-reads-your-emails-to-help-you-have-fun-tracks-hotel-reservations/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+itproportal%2Frss+%28Latest+ITProPortal+News%29
Re: Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 30, 2014
welcome development. Its cool! cool
Re: Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 30, 2014
This is a breach of privacy.
Re: Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 30, 2014
Lacomus: This is a breach of privacy.
Yeah, Indeed.

But, its better like this, to make things eaiser economically, and tourism aspect
Re: Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 30, 2014
blueto: Yeah, Indeed.

But, its better like this, to make things eaiser economically, and tourism aspect
some messages are meant to be confidential
Re: Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 30, 2014
Lacomus: some messages are meant to be confidential
Google also can keep secrets.

However, some secrets are mearnt to be exposed!
Re: Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations by Djtm(m): 4:01am On Jul 31, 2014
Lacomus: This is a breach of privacy.
this is 2014 there's nothing like privacy.
Re: Google Confirms It Reads Your Emails To Track Hotel Reservations by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 31, 2014
Djtm:
this is 2014 there's nothing like privacy

(1) (Reply)

Social Live Exchange Account For Grab!!! / OFER: Can You Code Voguepay Payment Gateway Extension Module For Boxbilling? / Domain Name, Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.