Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

Can Virtual Private Network (VPN) Provider Increase Your Internet Service Speed? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Can Virtual Private Network (VPN) Provider Increase Your Internet Service Speed? (6483 Views)

How To Increase Your Internet Speed With TP Link Router / Yahclick Internet Service / Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Virtual Private Network (VPN) Provider Increase Your Internet Service Speed? by arbitrage: 10:33pm On Jul 30, 2014
Can a Virtual Private Service (VPS) provider increase your internet connection service speed through their Virtual Private Network (VPN) server that you are connected through for anonymous browsing? I asked this question because ordinarily, VPN service is meant for you to connect to online resources and websites that will not allow your primary country IP to connect. For example, to use US PayPal account or enjoy some Netflix video services and such like from Nigerian internet connection (e.g. Swift Networks or Airtel), you must "hide" your Nigerian IP to be able to connect to such USA-targeted website. But when you now visit the VPN networks' sites to use their free or pay for foreign IP address VPN service (like openVPN, anonymox, HideMyAss, etc), they often advertise various high speed connectivity in several Mbps as you can see 16 Mbps in my attachment below. Is that true that they can really increase my speed if I subscribe to their service, knowing that they are not my original and primary ISP but our regularly sluggish MTN, Airtel or Swift? If my Nigerian ISP connection is just 56 kbps, can a VPN server connection give me their advertised speed when my real IP connection is natively slow? Share your idea please. I often hear people talk of other VPN tunnelling tools like myfreedom as being fast. Is it the tunnelling connection that makes it faster or my Nigerian ISP must be fast in itself to get a reasonable speed from VPN proxy connection?

Re: Can Virtual Private Network (VPN) Provider Increase Your Internet Service Speed? by LordAdam: 11:34pm On Jul 30, 2014
arbitrage: Can a Virtual Private Service (VPS) provider increase your internet connection service speed through their Virtual Private Network (VPN) server that you are connected through for anonymous browsing? I asked this question because ordinarily, VPN service is meant for you to connect to online resources and websites that will not allow your primary country IP to connect. For example, to use US PayPal account or enjoy some Netflix video services and such like from Nigerian internet connection (e.g. Swift Networks or Airtel), you must "hide" your Nigerian IP to be able to connect to such USA-targeted website. But when you now visit the VPN networks' sites to use their free or pay for foreign IP address VPN service (like openVPN, anonymox, HideMyAss, etc), they often advertise various high speed connectivity in several Mbps as you can see 16 Mbps in my attachment below. Is that true that they can really increase my speed if I subscribe to their service, knowing that they are not my original and primary ISP but our regularly sluggish MTN, Airtel or Swift? If my Nigerian ISP connection is just 56 kbps, can a VPN server connection give me their advertised speed when my real IP connection is natively slow? Share your idea please. I often hear people talk of other VPN tunnelling tools like myfreedom as being fast. Is it the tunnelling connection that makes it faster or my Nigerian ISP must be fast in itself to get a reasonable speed from VPN proxy connection?

Okay, so I'm not exactly that knowledgeable about networking to give you the technical details. But that's a good thing, because at least you'd get to understand my point faster.

Now to the question, the simple answer is that VPNs don't exactly increase your speed. Speed could appear faster if they ran cloud services or optimized their caching system (like the difference in speed between browsing with firefox and maxthon). But something as dramatic as increasing your 58kbps connection to 100kbps is not achievable.

Well, as to the reason behind setting up supposed misleading ads, the ads are for those with high speed connections who'd like to not have to sacrifice their speed for the immediate benefit of the VPN.

High-speed connections going as high as 100Mbps are all the rage in the developed world, getting 16Mbps would sound petty but usable to a subscriber from that part of the world. We on the flip-side of the globe with top-speed connections only going as high 10Mbps, would see that (the VPN's 16Mbps speed ad) as a good thing, simply because we'd be able to "max" out our connection.

Finally, the top VPN providers are on top of their game on this one, faster SSD servers are becoming cheaper, better caching modules are been developed by independent teams, the efficacy of server management is getting better. All of this hold high promises of better speeds for VPN users, but not high enough if you're stuck with a low-speed connection (your example of 58KBps comes to mind).

~Lord
Re: Can Virtual Private Network (VPN) Provider Increase Your Internet Service Speed? by arbitrage: 6:26am On Aug 01, 2014
Thanks a million for your response. I am honestly pleased.
Re: Can Virtual Private Network (VPN) Provider Increase Your Internet Service Speed? by Sibrah: 12:15am On Aug 02, 2014
Theoretically, it is possible. Popular IPSec Protocol goes with compression option which is capable of reducing your communication payload but that's if your VPN starts and ends outside your ISP reach. A site to site VPN is a good example of such case. If you are using remote & public VPN servers you have to reach out to through your ISP before they NAT & encrypt ur traffic then only the ISP can decide whether they want to compress your traffic and thereby increase their own bandwidth but not yours.
Re: Can Virtual Private Network (VPN) Provider Increase Your Internet Service Speed? by arbitrage: 12:38pm On Aug 10, 2014
Sibrah: Theoretically, it is possible. Popular IPSec Protocol goes with compression option which is capable of reducing your communication payload but that's if your VPN starts and ends outside your ISP reach. A site to site VPN is a good example of such case. If you are using remote & public VPN servers you have to reach out to through your ISP before they NAT & encrypt ur traffic the only then ISP can decide whether they want to compress your traffic and thereby increase their own bandwidth but not yours.

Thanks for your input too.

(1) (Reply)

Fast Internet Service In Enugu / Lean How To Use Microsoft Toolkit To Activate MS Office 2013 / Lenovo, Macbook, Hp, Dell, Iphones, Androids, Oneplus And Lots More...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.