Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

My Good Friday Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Good Friday Story (730 Views)

The Good Friday (very Short) / A Not So “good Friday” Indeed / Oh, My Good Friend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Good Friday Story by gottoboy(m): 3:05pm On Jul 31, 2014
Years ago, I was living in a foreign land
where I ran into trouble with the law.
The laws seemed unfair, confusing, and
harsh. I was sentenced to death for my
crimes. I wish I could say I was not guilty
but according to the law of the land I was guilty as charged. My situation was
hopeless.

Prison was truly a horrible place. Hopelessness became my constant companion. As I sat in my prison cell, I heard whispers of a seldom-used law that caused me to
vacillate between a glimmer of hope and even greater despair. The law stated that if
an innocent person could be found who was willing to take my place I could be set
free from prison. Hope was fleeting; what was the chance this would ever happen?!!
Who would ever take my place? After all . . .
I was guilty. I deserved to die according to the law.
Time went by. My execution day arrived. I had no more hope. The prison guard
arrived.
As he unlocked my cell he gave me with unbelievable news. A man visiting
from another country had offered to take my place! My first response was disbelief.
Was this a sick joke? But it was true. I did not know him. I had never met him.

On the
day I was to be executed, he took my place. I was set free. I was offered a home in a
new land, with a new life. The arrangements were set.
All I had to do was accept the offer. Of course I did.
I stumbled out of my prison in disbelief. Could this be real? I was given a ticket as
well as directions to my new future. I had so many unanswered questions, but was
told I needed to accept the offer. My many questions would be answered in time.

I so wanted the freedom and the new beginning, however I had so many doubts and
questions. Who was this person who took my place?
How could this actually be
happening to me, in prison with a death sentence on my life one moment, and
walking out the prison door the next?
Was this for real? Why me? Who was behind
all this?
I was sent to a new land, a place I had never been. Freedom was overwhelming.
I was
officially declared “Not Guilty”. I could start a new life. I felt so relieved! But I still
wondered, “Why would someone die for me?”

Upon arrival I was taken to a palace! I thought, “There must be a mistake.” I was a
convicted criminal and was being treated as if I were an important person. How could
this be? Still in disbelief I thought, “This will not end well, it can’t be good. Maybe
they will again put me in jail, once my sordid past is revealed.” Even as these
thoughts pervaded my mind, I was led into a beautiful and grand room.

A
distinguished man dressed in fine clothes smiled and called me by name. He came to
me and embraced me! All I could say was, “Sir, I am so confused. How do you know
me? Why am I here?” He offered me a chair, we sat as he began to explain. “I have
followed your story for a long time. In fact from the moment of your birth I have
watched the circumstances of your life. I know every detail. I know what you got for
your fifth birthday. I know about your father’s death. I know you find this hard to
believe but I love you. You see, my son is the one who took your place. He took your
guilt. He took your death sentence. He was the innocent man who died for you.”
I began to weep with amazement, wonder, and gratitude. I deserved none of this. As
if he read my thoughts, he said, “I knew you were hopeless. I had to do something.

This was the only way. The law is clear that without the death of an innocent person
there can be no freedom. My son was willing to take your place.”

The man turned and called for an aid, “Please show my son to his room.” “Sir,” I asked in amazement, “you called me son?” “Yes,” he replied with a look in his eyes I will forever remember, “You are now my son. THIS is your new life. I have adopted
you. You are now part of my family, my son, my heir. We will live together.

Every year I celebrate the day an innocent man died for me, to give me freedom. It’s
called Good Friday.
God, Thank you for saving me, for giving Your son for me, for calling me Your own.

Thank you for Good Friday and thank you that Sunday is coming! Amen

“God rescued us from dead-end alleys and dark dungeons. He’s set us up in the kingdom of the Son he loves so much, the Son who got us out of the pit we were in, got rid of the sins we were doomed to keep repeating.”
(Colossians 1:13-14, MSG)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Good Friday Story by captainflash(m): 2:47pm On Oct 10, 2014
cool In english that's what we call narative essay. .gud one. .
Re: My Good Friday Story by gottoboy(m): 12:27pm On Oct 11, 2014
Appreciate boss

(1) (Reply)

10 Things You'll Find In Ladies Handbags / EMBITTERED (taste Of Blood) Episode 2 / Be Inspired By This Military Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.