Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges (1392 Views)

Video Of Nigerian Soldiers Begging Shiites To Clear The Road / Fayose's Motorcade Was Blocked In Ondo By Angry Youths – See What He Did / Buhari Finally Moves To Probe Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by watchinglagos: 11:02pm On Jul 31, 2014
Over a year ago watchinglagos.com posted a second post after the first post months earlier about blocked drainage channels around mile 2 bus stop going to Orile as a result of trading on the drains cover and indiscriminate dumping of waste materials on the road which either gets blown into drain or is washed into it when it rains.

The drainage got completely blocked and instead of water flowing into the drain, it remain on the the road, turned green and due to that commercial buses avoided the bus stop and instead drop and pick passenger on the road hereby causing serious traffic backlog that at times goes as far as beyond festac 1st gate.

Recently we noticed that the drains around mile 2 and orile bus stops were being cleared but was dumped beside the drains. We hope the government completes this process before the rain washes them back into it.

Also, Julius has moved to their yard around coker bus stop to fix bad portions and finished some parts of the road that was left unfinished years ago.

Pictures from mile 2 and orile below

Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by watchinglagos: 11:02pm On Jul 31, 2014
more

Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by watchinglagos: 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
first picture mile 2, second one orile

Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by slimfit1(m): 11:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
Fashola and his substandard work sometimes.

1 Like

Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by pheesayor(m): 12:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
Can't be substandard, Julius berger built that road. It is the daily activities of Lagosians that blocked the drainage. Imagine trading on the drain covers, people litter the roads and dirt gets blown or washed into the drains. How then does this make the project substandard ?
slimfit1: Fashola and his substandard work sometimes.
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by slimfit1(m): 1:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
pheesayor: Can't be substandard, Julius berger built that road. It is the daily activities of Lagosians that blocked the drainage. Imagine trading on the drain covers, people litter the roads and dirt gets blown or washed into the drains. How then does this make the project substandard ?

Thank you for bringing up that issue, we know that our people are very dirty and it is a busy area get it covered.
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by pheesayor(m): 1:48pm On Aug 01, 2014
the drains are covered, dirts get into them through the water entry point, look at the pictures again
slimfit1:

Thank you for bringing up that issue, we know that our people are very dirty and it is a busy area get it covered.
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by Validated: 6:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
pheesayor: the drains are covered, dirts get into them through the water entry point, look at the pictures again

Then clear it regularly. That is governance. PERIOD!
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by watchinglagos: 7:18pm On Aug 04, 2014
source: http://www.watchinglagos.com/2014/07/lasg-finally-moves-to-clear-blocked.html

mods frontpage please, let us make people aware of this so the government doesn't dump this process halfway. Thanks
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
IT IS PURE SUB-STANDARD RUBBISH WORK.

EVERY DRAIN MUST be covered, and covered in such a way, with solid concrete, and form a pedestrian sidewalk which nobody can ''open'', with the drains accessible to the authorities (workmen) only through vents built on the side of the road (between the road and sidewalk). It is only when you build substandard rubbish that you see all this nonsense of open, stinking drains and somebody needing to 'clear' the drains and all that filthy nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by pheesayor(m): 2:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
The drains are covered but due to indiscriminate dumping of waste by everyone, also by road side traders.
ROSSIKE: IT IS PURE SUB-STANDARD RUBBISH WORK.

EVERY DRAIN MUST be covered, and covered in such a way, with solid concrete, and form a pedestrian sidewalk which nobody can ''open'', with the drains accessible to the authorities (workmen) only through vents built on the side of the road (between the road and sidewalk). It is only when you build substandard rubbish that you see all this nonsense of open, stinking drains and somebody needing to 'clear' the drains and all that filthy nonsense.

Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by Reptyle(m): 3:40pm On Aug 05, 2014
ROSSIKE: IT IS PURE SUB-STANDARD RUBBISH WORK.

Chief the drains are covered. The work up to Mile 2 was handled by Julius Berger who have a reputation for doing quality work.
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by IGBOSON1: 4:09pm On Aug 05, 2014
If the LGA concerned was alive to its responsibilities by clearing the gutters -at least every fortnight- then we wouldn't have got to this stage to begin with!

It's the same in all our major cities and urban centres: LGAs shirking their responsibilities and allowing filth to pile up! Ordinarily, streets in busy commercial areas ought to be swept every evening after close of business!

2 Likes

Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by pheesayor(m): 5:17pm On Aug 05, 2014
you're right, a few LGAs do that though, for some inner streets. This however is a highway and to be honest, there are people that sweep these roads too, as ask anyone that works in Lagos. The problem is the drains are covered and cleaning them every fortnight becomes impossible because you need heavy machines to lift the slabs. Where I fault the state government is that they allowed the drains to be extremely filled before starting the cleanup process.
IGBOSON1: If the LGA concerned was alive to its responsibilities by clearing the gutters -at least every fortnight- then we wouldn't have got to this stage to begin with!

It's the same in all our major cities and urban centres: LGAs shirking their responsibilities and allowing filth to pile up! Ordinarily, streets in busy commercial areas ought to be swept every evening after close of business!
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 05, 2014
the lasg is un serious about this drainage crisis, the government should set up a ministry or an agency in charge of drainage management. They should be will equipped with the latest clearing facilities as well as patrol vehicles and should be able to arrest offenders too.
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by naptu2: 5:37pm On Aug 05, 2014
Obiagelli: the lasg is un serious about this drainage crisis, the government should set up a ministry or an agency in charge of drainage management. They should be will equipped with the latest clearing facilities as well as patrol vehicles and should be able to arrest offenders too.

An agency exists, but I think they need to do more enforcement.

http://moelagos.gov.ng/offices/office-of-drainage-services-ods/

http://moelagos.gov.ng/offices/office-of-drainage-services-ods/drainage-maintenance-operation-dmoefad/
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by naptu2: 5:40pm On Aug 05, 2014
Reptyle:

Chief the drains are covered. The work up to Mile 2 was handled by Julius Berger who have a reputation for doing quality work.

That depends on what you mean by "covered".
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 05, 2014
naptu2:

An agency exists, but I think they need to do more enforcement.

http://moelagos.gov.ng/offices/office-of-drainage-services-ods/

http://moelagos.gov.ng/offices/office-of-drainage-services-ods/drainage-maintenance-operation-dmoefad/

oh i didn't know that, i have never seen their uniforms or vehicle, are they under public works?
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by naptu2: 6:12pm On Aug 05, 2014
Obiagelli:
oh i didn't know that, i have never seen their uniforms or vehicle, are they under public works?

They are under the Ministry of Environment. They wear overalls and boots. I've seen them work at Ikorodu Road, Ozumba Mbadiwe Road and Herbert Macaulay Road. It started out as the Emergency Flood Abatement Gang (EFAG), before it was converted to an agency (EFAD). EFAG was also part of the government's employment measures.

However, I'm not sure how well they pay their labourers, because they are always begging for money/food.

The Office of Drainage Services (ODS) is quite unpopular, because they often demolish walls/buildings that are too close to drains.

http://www.ilupejutoday.com/lagos-state-government-demolishes-11-ilupeju-shops/
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by pheesayor(m): 6:40pm On Aug 05, 2014
The state government simply needs to pay more attention to drainage clearance, increase the capacity of those in charge to do more simultaneously.

Where's berem sef?
naptu2:

They are under the Ministry of Environment. They wear overalls and boots. I've seen them work at Ikorodu Road, Ozumba Mbadiwe Road and Herbert Macaulay Road. It started out as the Emergency Flood Abatement Gang (EFAG), before it was converted to an agency (EFAD). EFAG was also part of the government's employment measures.

However, I'm not sure how well they pay their labourers, because they are always begging for money/food.

The Office of Drainage Services (ODS) is quite unpopular, because they often demolish walls/buildings that are too close to drains.

http://www.ilupejutoday.com/lagos-state-government-demolishes-11-ilupeju-shops/
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 05, 2014
pheesayor: The state government simply needs to pay more attention to drainage clearance, increase the capacity of those in charge to do more simultaneously.

Where's berem sef?
I dey here o! cool

@pheesayor,its been a long time I passed that road especially from mile2 to orile. Clearing the gutters in this rainy season,how efficient is it?
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by pheesayor(m): 6:51pm On Aug 05, 2014
not convenient at all
berem: I dey here o! cool

@pheesayor,its been a long time I passed that road especially from mile2 to orile. Clearing the gutters in this rainy season,how efficient is it?
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 05, 2014
pheesayor: not convenient at all
I guessed so.
Can I have the link to your site again?
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by naptu2: 6:57pm On Aug 05, 2014
pheesayor: The state government simply needs to pay more attention to drainage clearance, increase the capacity of those in charge to do more simultaneously.

Where's berem sef?

They also need to do more enforcement and public enlightenment (what's the point of clearing the drains if it'll simply be blocked in no time) and use proper covered drains with metal grates and manholes.
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by pheesayor(m): 11:08pm On Aug 05, 2014
www.watchinglagos.com
berem: I guessed so.
Can I have the link to your site again?
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by naptu2: 7:48am On Aug 06, 2014
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by naptu2: 11:16am On Aug 06, 2014
This should also be a good opportunity to test these things to see if they actually work. I got these numbers almost a year ago. Anybody that's encountered flood should call these numbers and post their experience here, let's see if it works.

naptu2: LAGOS STATE EMERGENCY NUMBERS

Distress Call
767, 112

Distressed/Collapsed Building (LASPPDA)
01-5931947, 4933658, 4931940, 7630854

Ambulance Service (LASAMBUS/LASEMS)
08022887777,08022883678,08022887788, 01-7413744,01-7930490,01-7639939

Environmental Monitoring
0803318347078,043705057, 08023036632

[size=14pt]Flooding/Blocked Drainage (EFAG)

08056145481, 08023298197, 08096019599, 08056145484, 08055988566
[/size]

Health Facilities Regulation (HEFAMA)

08033229049, 08023149120

Radio Lagos/EKO FM (News Alert)

Lagos Television (News Alert )

01-496728

Open Corpse (SEHMU)

08034279776, 08033602259, 08023356540, 08030789190

Office of Public Defender (Public Complaints)

01-8975571,7926928

Citizens Mediation Center

Rapid Response Squad (RRS)

08056250710,08033482380,08023127350, 08033355544, 01-7750715,01-4970389, 01-4970062, 01-4931261, 01-4920388

Traffic Control (LASTMA)

08075005411, 08023111742, 08077551000

BRT

Lagbus

Pothole/Collapsed Road

Broken Pipe/Water Leakage

Cutting of Roads (LASMIRA)

Environmental/Noise Pollution (LASEPA)

Signage/Outdoor Advertisng (LASAA)

01-8996502-9, 01-8251398

Security Trust Fund

Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 10, 2014
naptu2: This should also be a good opportunity to test these things to see if they actually work. I got these numbers almost a year ago. Anybody that's encountered flood should call these numbers and post their experience here, let's see if it works.

767 works for sure. I have made two calls in the past. They even followed up afterwards
Re: LASG Finally Moves To Clear Blocked Drainaiges by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 10, 2014
naptu2: This should also be a good opportunity to test these things to see if they actually work. I got these numbers almost a year ago. Anybody that's encountered flood should call these numbers and post their experience here, let's see if it works.

767 works for sure. I have made two calls in the past. They even followed up afterwards

(1) (Reply)

Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students / America Gives Free Education To 57 Chibok Girls / New Intelligence Reports On Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.