Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,967 members, 7,817,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Nigerians And Patience - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians And Patience (633 Views)

Pres.GEJ And Patience Jonathan Hit The Gym Ahead Of Abuja Jogging Today(photos) / Photo: President Jonathan And Patience in their University days / List Of Alleged Multi-billion Properties Of Goodluck Jonathan And Patience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Patience by IdiatFF(f): 5:01pm On Aug 02, 2014
I read this, so read....

It is indubitable that a nation without a firm hand at the helm,
especially if its institutions are as feeble as the grasp of a new
baby, will ever experience any tangible growth in any area be it
economic, education, agriculture etc. Histories of great nations have always shown that it takes firm and courageous steps to achieve any modicum of development. It is evident likewise that principles, idealogies and whatnots require steadfast, bold-heart and firm mortal to champion, and to rivet the tenets of such principles or idealogies on whatever group it chooses to stand with.

Since the outset of this present democracy in Nigeria, we have
had three eras of leadership. At the inception in 1999, we started with the imperial generalissimo himself, Olusegun Obasanjo (OBJ). In my opinion, I believe OBJ's style of leadership was what we needed at the time he helmed. He was a firm leader ( or ruler as some would say) and he was able to achieve the little we now enjoy as dividend of democracy. Hardly will one see or hear of all these outright impunities we have today. Nigerians felt his leadership whichever way one looks at it. Internationally, he was respected by the West and awed by the developing nations. The international investors' confidence in his reforms brought in several FDIs and I still believe it is his efforts that is still bringing in FDIs till now, my opinion though. He was a great and quick decision- maker.
But like a typical African leader, he smeared his great and
patriotic efforts by his ill-conceived third term agenda and thus ended his tenure in shame, again my opinion.
After the general came one of his stooge, Umaru Musa Yarad'ua, a former governor of Kastina. This second era witnessed several good start-ups, tilting towards: ending the Electricity challenges, Niger-Delta crises, re-organising of the Judiciary for the purpose instilling rule of law into the nation's system and also birthing of era of transparency in government. But all these were in start-up stages before the cold hand of death halted his existence after a
long illness. I have no doubt that if he had had the opportunity of completing a term in office, Nigeria would've experienced, if not mammoth, a modicum of growth far afield of the twisted situation we found ourselves presently.
After Yaradua's demise came the one Nigerian youths dubbed
'clueless one', Dr Goodluck Jonathan (GEJ). He first acted on
acting capacity during his predecessor's long illness and later as a substantive President. All the laudable programmes of his
predecessor were abandoned aside the one he thinks will benefit his people, the Niger-Delta crisis which he had since followed to completion, while all other programmes were either abandoned or tinker with.
I am very much aware that a lot had been said and written about Mr GEJ's incompetence and cluelessness. I am very much aware that so many Nigerians are still in bathtub of regret faulting their gullibility in voting in incompetence. I am aware that the people have lost hope and faith in this Mr GEJ's government which is evident in the increasing daily vituperations of his government by Nigerians, young and old. What I am not aware of is if Nigerians know that they have the power to rewrite their history. What I am not aware of is if inspite of the hardship this present government is subjecting Nigerians to we are still hoping and believing that God or one god from somewhere will come down to help. Our patience is novel and weird. The late Fela Anikulapo Kuti puts it
aptly in one of his songs, we smile in suffering. Sometimes one is made to wonder what will possibly make Nigerians go the Egypt way when even what they've so far been subjected to by Dr GEJ's government is more sordid than the Egyptians.

Source: http://economicate.pun.bz/nigerians-and-the-era-of-patience.xhtml
Re: Nigerians And Patience by latestsunny(m): 5:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
Smh
Re: Nigerians And Patience by Caseless: 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
Gej's style of leadership , incompetence and cluelessness had me regretting why i did not support obj's 3rd term in office.
We have a leader who lacked the boldness to take some drastic steps to address some pressing national issues. Even when he takes decision, he takes deadly ones that are capable of taking us backward.
Nigerians sense of patience is amazing . Imagine this country with every social structure needed in a society available, and our patience...nigeria would have been the most peaceful country in the world.
Gej is a pig built for aerial flight!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Patience by Caseless: 5:56pm On Aug 02, 2014
latestsunny: .
yeye! The topic is abt nigeria and dz is all u cud do;booking space.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Patience by ukeleh: 5:59pm On Aug 02, 2014
The power to make a change is not totally on the populace because most nigeria elections are not won by numbers but by power of incumbency. The greatest weapon we should use right now is patience and prayers. Personally, i believe with God everything is possible.
Re: Nigerians And Patience by IdiatFF(f): 6:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
ukeleh: The power to make a change is not totally on the populace because most nigeria elections are not won by numbers but by power of incumbency. The greatest weapon we should use right now is patience and prayers. Personally, i believe with God everything is possible.

while I think it will be senseless not to believe that God works, we should not just sit and wait because He will not come down to help us. It is in our actions that God works. Thus patience and prayer should be part of our weapons, not the greatest; the greatest weapon we have is taking action consciously to better our lives. The leadership we have are not ready to better our lives, but theirs and their family's. The more reason we are still in the unfortunate situation we found ourselves; where few are getting richer.
Re: Nigerians And Patience by latestsunny(m): 9:39pm On Aug 03, 2014
caseless: yeye! The topic is abt nigeria and dz is all u cud do;booking space.

Hug transformer
Re: Nigerians And Patience by Caseless: 9:47pm On Aug 03, 2014
latestsunny:

Hug transformer
i did.

(1) (Reply)

Chibok Girls Manipulated As Suicide Bombers / Ebola Cure Found..now Our Government Will Politicise It.... / For The Sake Of Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.