Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,534 members, 7,816,304 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians (1743 Views)

The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: / Coming To The Uk: Is It Easier To Come To Uk As A Spouse Than As A Student? / The UK Is Just Like Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by pafun(m): 9:30am On Oct 16, 2008
This is how one of the scams works.
The British High Commission encourages a great number of their schools and education consultants including British Council to advertise in Nigeria newspapers for students.

When prospective students apply , they are led to pay a deposit of fees or full fees in pounds in exchange for letter of admission to take to embassy for visa, always with proviso that if your visa application is unsuccessful your money will be returned less "administrative costs" . Usually they know that your application has no hope of succeeding and all they are targeting is this administrative costs from thousands of applicants. Good business.

Hopeful prospective student goes to apply for visa with non refundable "processing fee" of N25,000 or more and are encouraged by British High Commission even though from onset they know that the application has no hope of succeeding. N25,000 from thousands of applicants daily. Good business.

Prospective students loses his "processing fee" and also pays school administrative charges and it is always a problem to recover the deposit (which meanwhile sits in a UK bank earning cool interests for the school). Foolish monkey Nigerian repeats the process the next year. Good business for UK.
grin grin
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by JJYOU: 9:39am On Oct 16, 2008
nice one. your true colour is coming out mr ugly britain. what is your source for this?
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 10:50am On Oct 16, 2008
yes poster!!

i love this guy, but hey im not one of them gay opps lipsrsealed. dubious me waiting on this one.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by Godalone(m): 12:02pm On Oct 16, 2008
JJYOU:

nice one. your true colour is coming out mr ugly britain. what is your source for this?
You don't need any source,it is real.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by skfa1: 12:06pm On Oct 16, 2008
This is what is happening. You dont need any link.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by landis(m): 12:21pm On Oct 16, 2008
Pafun,

Thanks for this thread.

We Africans never learn anything or we just cannot think beyond 24hrs.

During the colonial times, UK did not bring any money or wealth to Africa. They use resource within that colony to support the queen and the rest for the colony.

Because Lugard was so good at this they brought him from Sudan to Nigeria.

Today about 500yrs later, they are still using 'similar tricks' and we still like sheep falling in same trap.

They are using Nigerians to fund their embassy in Nigeria.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by promise2(f): 12:52pm On Oct 16, 2008
Poster,

you are right, this people are milking Nigerians.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by vvvjustice: 1:20pm On Oct 16, 2008
Somehow, i think it is a one way thinking to think that the UK (or any other popular country) government does make profits from its foreign consulates or embassies by means of visa application fees. The fact is, while some unpopular countries might not be having good turn-outs at their consulates or embassies, a popular country like the UK (and some other EU states), the USA, Canada and Australia with high turn-outs does not make "profit" from visa application as many people imagine.
   Lets take the UK for example, the money its embassies raise from visa applications is a fraction of what the country spends:
*To maintain its Ministry of Foreign Affairs (the staff both in the UK and abroad),
*To maintain its millions of illegal or liability immigrants
*To maintain its Political or economical asylum seekers
*To maintain its foreign residence health/social welfare
*To maintain its Deportation or repatriation costs for undesirable aliens
*To maintain its job creations for welcomed aliens etc.

If my calculation is right, all these maintenances amount to some multi-billion Pounds each year: So, from understanding, it may be wrong to judge that the embassy "business" is a profitable one, it just doesn't go that way.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by landis(m): 1:38pm On Oct 16, 2008
Lets take the UK for example, the money its embassies raise from visa applications is a fraction of what the country spends:

you talking out of point.

UK funds their NIGERIAN high commission from money they make from NIgerians.

Thats what this is all about. we are not talking about other UK embassies.

And this is possible as it one of the strategic goals of 'colonialism'

It same thing the french doing with their ex-colonies all over african.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by Godalone(m): 1:59pm On Oct 16, 2008
[quote

[quote][/quote]
This is not true,you are not getting it.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by skfa1: 3:44pm On Oct 16, 2008
vvvjustice:

Somehow, i think it is a one way thinking to think that the UK (or any other popular country) government does make profits from its foreign consulates or embassies by means of visa application fees. The fact is, while some unpopular countries might not be having good turn-outs at their consulates or embassies, a popular country like the UK (and some other EU states), the USA, Canada and Australia with high turn-outs does not make "profit" from visa application as many people imagine.
*To maintain its Ministry of Foreign Affairs (the staff both in the UK and abroad),
*To maintain its millions of illegal or liability immigrants
*To maintain its Political or economical asylum seekers
*To maintain its foreign residence health/social welfare
*To maintain its Deportation or repatriation costs for undesirable aliens
*To maintain its job creations for welcomed aliens etc.

If my calculation is right, all these maintenances amount to some multi-billion Pounds each year: So, from understanding, it may be wrong to judge that the embassy "business" is a profitable one, it just doesn't go that way.

I do not agree with you.

ok also tell me something about the money for visa renewer ? sometime ago it was £250 but now £300 per person x millions of applicant.

Dont tell me that the money is for admin charge,thats just another way or system to rip millions of people off. So it is every nation that does its either in a systematic way or the other way round.

Another system is covering up . You see the above you`ve typed, is just a cover up system. Is just that when Nigerian scammer scam,they just scam, no cover up and you wount find them again but when others does theirs, it will look legall which they wount run away but use a system to cover it up.

Some country will even send their soldier to another country to fight war because of the profit they will make at the end of the war.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by skfa1: 3:48pm On Oct 16, 2008
Infact this thread should even include Exploitation and Invading not only scamming.

All this are not good aswell, human being forgot that the world will end one day either you like it or not.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by DisGuy: 5:16pm On Oct 16, 2008
ok also tell me something about the money for visa renewer ? sometime ago it was £250 but now £300 per person x millions of applicant.

this is also applicable in the UK, ripping off their own people?
it's general business practise isnt it?

Let them close their embassy in Nigeria, that way they wont make money from us again cheesy
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2008
@ poster

keep the flag flying high!
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by luka1981(m): 5:57pm On Oct 16, 2008
Italy is scamming Nigerians more any other country, with they stories of processing fees, investigation fees, appointment fees, legalization fees, translation fees  lawyers fees and lawyes gifts. Upon all these fees the Italian embassy may still reject visa to applicant who has spent up to on million naira with every necessary document.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by lucabrasi(m): 6:59pm On Oct 16, 2008
their national carrier(b.a)charging around same price for a 6 hrs flight to nigeria and almost 24 hrs flight to australia give or take a few quids
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by Busybody2(f): 12:07am On Oct 17, 2008
Have you forgotten flights to the States, with off-peak flights that only cost an average of £200 for a return journey.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by shotster50(m): 2:30am On Oct 17, 2008
They do these things to capitalise on our national quest to go abroad by all means. Though morally questionable, you dont need to be Richard Branson to see you can make a lot of money from that. If you are in the UK as a Student / Work Permit / EU or UK Citizen Spouse, and you have renewed your Visas lately you will have see the increase in fees from earlier years. Nigerian Embassy here in London will probably do the same if they get the same number of applicants like the UK get in Nigeria.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by manmustwac(m): 10:42am On Oct 17, 2008
It dose happen but is it really part of a scam? Because the High Commision have morals and integrity.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by damiso(f): 11:10am On Oct 17, 2008
manmustwac:

It dose happen but is it really part of a scam? Because the High Commision have morals and integrity.

It is if they do not give you the visa.i think the fees should be refundable if you are refused.That one is my own problem.Or they can be like the american embassy and charge flat fee of £100 even if its 1week or 10 yrs visa.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by JJYOU: 11:22am On Oct 17, 2008
shotster50:

They do these things to capitalise on our national quest to go abroad by all means. Though morally questionable, you don't need to be Richard Branson to see you can make a lot of money from that. If you are in the UK as a Student / Work Permit / EU or UK Citizen Spouse, and you have renewed your Visas lately you will have see the increase in fees from earlier years. Nigerian Embassy here in London will probably do the same if they get the same number of applicants like the UK get in Nigeria.

surprise surprise. nigerian embassy here do this also. i said here before on the nollywood thread they turned down some of our guys from going to nigeria to do a documentary. one of the 3 was a nigerian british passport holder. it tooks us weeks, phone calls, looking for who know who and another set of visa fees to get the visa.

if this is a scam, nigeria is at it too. but knowing my people like i do and the dodgy papers they waka with the people have to do a thorough work and shine thier eyes
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by DisGuy: 12:50pm On Oct 17, 2008
Like i said its some sort of general business. . .

I million student wrote jamb or is it waec and post jamb exams in nigeria for only 200,000 places
I don't think they get their money back!!
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by badabeat: 7:17pm On Oct 17, 2008
Thank you poster for your concise assessment of the situation as it is. You can accuse any foreign high commission in Nigeria of doing 1000% profitable business and you will be right anyday afterall thats why they are in the most populous black nation in Africa.
Post amended!
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by shotster50(m): 8:24pm On Oct 17, 2008
They treat us anyhow because they are aware of the economic and political situation we have in our country. I think the main reason is to dissuade Nigerians from coming over to the UK. the sad thing is even if they start charging a Million buck for visa fees, people will still queue for it.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by pafun(m): 8:39pm On Oct 17, 2008
this Guy:

Like i said its some sort of general business. . .

I million student wrote jamb or is it waec and post jamb exams in nigeria for only 200,000 places
I don't think they get their money back!!

At least jamb allows you to take the exam and make the result public , and you know (deep within yourself) the reason why you failed . As a matter of fact the refusal letters are already in the computer, they just fill in your name , click the relevant reasons (why they think you should fail) and print. Chikena.
Good business. As we well know most of the visa officers are barely literate and are really not empowered or permitted to use their initiatives (even if they knew how ). I have worked with a lot of them for more than a decade (and I still do) so I know what I am saying.
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by presido1: 2:13pm On Oct 19, 2008
JJYOU:

if this is a scam, nigeria is at it too. but knowing my people like i do and the dodgy papers they waka with the people have to do a thorough work and shine their eyes
You know we always learn from them but we will use it to wicked ourself.

On a more serious note its day light robbery, Why can't they collect half and the other half when the visa is granted, which means that the first part of the payment is for admin , second part for visa proper.

Anyway thatz Nigeria for us, if somebody take action some here will call him Coward
Re: How The Uk Is Scamming Nigerians by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 08, 2013
A famous quote by Richard. Branson"give a man fish,help him a day,teach a man how to fish,Ʊ ruin a business opportunity"all †ђξ monies stolen by our corrupt politicians re still frozen inforeign banks earning interest,how much hs been brougt back to our countries!!if our colonial masters TRULY teach us how make this country work,who will want to leave dis country-Noone!!hw will dey make d trillions frm Nigerians appllyin fr visa,paying tuition fees,getting intl certificaations,??if these countries rily wanted us to grow,dey will stp accespting our syphhooned funds into their countries,publicly declare †ђξ finaancial assets of our corrupt leaders,start recognizind. Nd accepting our degrees,make our country visafree to our colonial masters,then we can start frm thre,,,asides that my peple,†ђξ colonization nd modern slaavery continues!!

(1) (Reply)

Ndlea Clearance / 100 Questions You Ask When Moving To A New City? / An Aussie Coming To Nigeria: Give Me Some Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.