Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? (3612 Views)

Poll: Please rate our job section on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 = Perfect

0: 8% (6 votes)
1: 4% (3 votes)
2: 10% (8 votes)
3: 6% (5 votes)
4: 12% (9 votes)
5: 12% (9 votes)
6: 8% (6 votes)
7: 9% (7 votes)
8: 13% (10 votes)
9: 4% (3 votes)
10: 10% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Employers And Salary Payments / . / Job Forum Not Opening? Seun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by Seun(m): 9:48am On Oct 16, 2008
Hello,

To the people who are interested in posting and applying for legitimate jobs:
- How are you finding our job/vacancy section? 
- Is it improving or deteriorating? 
- Are there measures you strongly feel we should take that we are not taking? 
- Is there something another Nigerian job site is doing well that we are not doing as well?

Employers and job seekers, please talk to us.  Your satisfaction is very important to us.

Thanks.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by yicob(m): 11:01am On Oct 16, 2008
Seun, I was about starting a thread on how to make this section better.

1. You are doing a great work

2. The job section is always being spammed by web owners and bloggers

3. Its not always easy to trace a consistent thread as many posters will want to bring their web advert to the top of the page

4. I started a thread on Insight Communications test for saturday so that we can educate people on what they should expect. in less than 15 minutes, the thread was pushed to 2nd page. . . . . .after which about 6 people started a thread on same topic.

5. Job advert are always repeated by folks. Complement existing main thread instead of repeating same toipc.

6. Lets provide a link to the job site instead of linking ours. use signature for your web/blog advert.

7. Some folks are doing great job, let them keep it up. . . . . . .and to those spamming the section, lets turn a new leave.

8. The moderators are trying. . . . . .but I believe the number could be increased

Am OUt.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by hollandis(f): 11:45am On Oct 16, 2008
1. I think nairaland are a little off on a very reliable job forum, because of the almost permissible way the forum is run  ,such sites as ultimatejobs.com, jobslink.com get fed by just redirecting nairaland to their site

2. I’m not sure any company can get much attention in such a jam packed atmosphere

3. The terms used for job positions are not standardized

4.There must be a better advertisement for job seekers and their target audience

5.Lot of half baked graduates ,lot of spammers ,lot of non jobbers,lot of fraudsters

6.Lot of referral sites e.g ultimatejobs.com

7.There’s still a lot of work to be done on the search area to find the specific job you need
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by hollandis(f): 12:00pm On Oct 16, 2008
nireboy:

Oga Seun,

Thanks for the thread.I want to thank you for allowing bloggers use your forum after so many url removal,but there is a problem.Job topics are always repeated by some forumers after it has been posted.say for example i got an information about a shell vacancy and post the info on nairaland.before 2minutes,other bloggers would have posted the same info,now thats a problem that must be put in check.

As much as we wanty trffic to our blogs,we should also consider the forumers who throng the job section to get useful info.another problem that should be dealt with is giving out false vacancy information just to get people to visit your site.I once saw a post on a bank vacancy and i visited the site only to find out that there was no such vacancies available.please the moderators should be on the look out for these spam vacancies.

In fairness,and to be truthful,nairaland still remains the best forum in Nigeria.More grease to your elbows Seun

You are one of the nuisance
Bloggers my foot angry
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by princessk1: 12:42pm On Oct 16, 2008
there should be a place to send suspicious threads like people asking for money, too many scammers and i concur with Hollandis .welldone
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by 1luvkipsus: 2:15pm On Oct 16, 2008
The forum has been bastardized as fake jobs are being advertised daily here. I 'm wondering what these guys are benefitting from this fake games. I pray for Solomonic wisdom for Seun to deal with this menace.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by trimandtrendy(f): 5:08pm On Oct 16, 2008
Wel, i just thing that the section should be divided into groups, like legal, medical, banking jobs, oil jobs etc.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by bayokenny: 7:34pm On Oct 16, 2008
Seun, am happy for this thread you fly out today, to be frank with you many job blogger had already poised in spoiling your great job.

I sincerely believe that a job forum should be an informative section for a job seeker looking for one kind of info and others, and also believe that the forum should serve as a medium for helping the job seekers.

It is a high time you must take a strict measure to safe guard your site and your reputation.

Let us have it at the back of our mind that, most job seekers are fresh graduate, who normally use a paid internet cafe to surf the web for useful information as regard job opening.

When i paid N120 for an hour in cafe, and the job blogger always redirect me to their site, thereby wasting my time and my money before i can get hold of an information is very bad, it doesn't speak well of ourselves and your forum.

how much will this cost them to release useful information to their fellow human being, these practices must stop and they should be aware that one day their own children will be looking for job on the net.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by yicob(m): 8:41pm On Oct 16, 2008
@ trimand, creating child boards for the job section is not necessary for now. Links to all oil, banking and communication career sites can be set sticky. So that when any companies recruit, one can always visit the link to click on the company's career page.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by yicob(m): 8:42pm On Oct 16, 2008
@ trimand, creating child boards for the job section is not necessary for now. Links to all oil, banking and communication career sites can be set sticky. So that when any companies recruit, one can always visit the link to click on the company's career page.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by kateangel(f): 8:56pm On Oct 16, 2008
For those who are interested in posting and applying for legitimate jobs

They should send jobs/vacanies for school cert holder for those who intending furthering there education and dont have means to pay there school atleast when this employers employ them with the money there are going to be receiving they can use it to pay there school fees and do other things than sitting at home doing nothing
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by olaremint(m): 10:10pm On Oct 16, 2008
thanks seun what i hate most is some people posting job adverts and telling you to link another site, if i want to go to another, i have my internet explorer to do so, maybe there is a way those types can be restricted.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by Oluchia(f): 8:31am On Oct 17, 2008
Hollandis and Yicob exactly spoke my mind on the issue.

The job section is no longer what it used to be. It was this section that made me join nairaland 2years ago when I was still jobhunting and the informations I got then helped me in securing the job that I have today.

Sadly, this is no longer the case, I still do come here hoping to get job links for my friends who are still searching for jobs and all I get are bloggers directing one to their sites with outdated vacancies and spammers copying and pasting the same vacancies over and over again. I think these should be restricted.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by Seun(m): 12:38pm On Oct 17, 2008
They are relentless. They use cybercafes and proxies. They wake up every morning to spam Nairaland.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by DisGuy: 1:59pm On Oct 17, 2008
The job forum is not fit for purpose, what do people gain by posting their sites/blogs anyway
filled to the brim with google adverts.

I think you should ban any advert that is not directly linked with a genuine company's website or
address

Vacancies should have positions available, name of company and address of company or contact person
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by favcom(m): 3:26pm On Oct 17, 2008
@ topic
Too many fake announcements
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by packa(m): 4:52pm On Oct 17, 2008
@Seun the ball is now in your court. You have heard it all from your members. Let the reputation of this great forum remain. it's a tough call for Seun and other Moderators they can't do it all alone. it's high time we do something about this manace. angry angry angry
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by zukkymike(m): 5:51pm On Oct 17, 2008
there should be more need for improvement.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by funfavour(f): 4:14pm On Oct 18, 2008
seun the job section is good but you need to have various categories,so a job seeker can easily get available jobs, to many fake vacancies, and bloggers

and where do employers send adverts too?
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by ugojeswite(m): 4:52pm On Oct 18, 2008
Can I repost one of my post RECHARGE VOUCHER PRINTING that was removed. THANKS
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by DoubleN(m): 10:56pm On Oct 18, 2008
My Problem is with all this bloggers. They have just dominated the job section with too many fake advertisement.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by zaragoza(m): 7:11am On Oct 19, 2008
Seun another way of improving on this section is making d moderators scout 4 job vacancies and post them on this section, at least one can be rest assured dat they are genuine. Secondly,when a post is made on dis section it should not automatically appear on dis section especially when d thread contains an external link, such thread should be reviewed by d moderators to ensure dat the provided link leads one directly to the recruiting company's website and not to another job search forum otherwise such thread should not be made to appear. I do contribute on websites such as bbc sports, fox news, cnn etc they spell it out to contributors that their comments might not appear immediately cos it has to be reviewed by thier team of moderators to ensure it contains no foul language, derogatory and incrimnating remarks etc at times u mite not see ur comments posted. Seun i know dis mite be a tall order 4u but if u really want to bring dis section upto standard u should heed to this advice.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by Seun(m): 9:51am On Oct 19, 2008
Great idea, zagozago. Do you know anyone who is interested in becoming a moderator?
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by yicob(m): 12:42pm On Oct 19, 2008
Zagozago will be a gud moderator.

@ Seun,
is it possible to make posts appear in the job section only after review? Hope this wont affect other boards?
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by zaragoza(m): 2:26pm On Oct 19, 2008
Seun i suggest u throw it open to the floor and also lay down d criteria required 4 one to be qualified to be a moderator. This section(job/vacancy) has to be looked into critically to prevent it 4rm crumbling completely.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:40pm On Oct 19, 2008
@Seun
I think you should be strict on the section, create rules that spell out that outright ban for any username that spams the board and then maybe get a re-captcha before signing up that should slow down most spammers and I am sure totally wipe it out with time. zaragoza's idea is nice too, I am a bit tech savvy and Would love to audition for the job but what do I know about Job adverts grin,
Cheers.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 20, 2008
Thank you for this topic, the only thing i want you to add is to always add the date of the posting of topics especially in job issue so that one will diffrentiate b/w the old and new posting.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by nikinash(f): 6:44pm On Oct 20, 2008
I think you should configure the page such that any external link opens in a new window.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by mosyb: 12:07am On Oct 21, 2008
SEUN

I THINK THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THIS BOARD IS THE ISSUE OF FRAUDULENT POSTINGS BY SOME PEOPLE, WHAT U HAVE TO DO IS TO BE VERY STRICT AND EXTRA VIGILANT,YOU SHOULD HAVE XCERTAIN RULES OR NO GO AREAS ONE CANNOT POSTS, ALSO TRY AND VERIFY SOME CERTAIN POSTINGS, YOU CAN APPOINT A TEAM OR SOMETHING TO VERIFY THESE ONLINE ADDRESSES OR WEBSITES,

THERE ARE OTHER JOBSITES I VISIT, THEY ARE SOO MATURE AND DTRAIGHT TO THE POINT, BUT THIS JOB SITE IS BECOMING SOMETHING ELSE, I THINK THINGS WILL GET BETTER, SO U GOT TO LISTEN VERY WELL.
GO THRU SOME OF THESE POSTINGS AND SIMPLY REMOVE THE ONES YOU THINK DONT HAVE THE MAIN PURPOSE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by yicob(m): 2:18am On Oct 21, 2008
Get about 4 moderators to feed this section with latest openings. I know of a naija site that buys Guardian newspaper daily and turn the job vacancies inside the paper to a soft copy on his forum.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by plastermad: 12:50pm On Oct 21, 2008
mosyb:

SEUN

I THINK THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THIS BOARD IS THE ISSUE OF FRAUDULENT POSTINGS BY SOME PEOPLE, WHAT U HAVE TO DO IS TO BE VERY STRICT AND EXTRA VIGILANT,YOU SHOULD HAVE XCERTAIN RULES OR NO GO AREAS ONE CANNOT POSTS, ALSO TRY AND VERIFY SOME CERTAIN POSTINGS, YOU CAN APPOINT A TEAM OR SOMETHING TO VERIFY THESE ONLINE ADDRESSES OR WEBSITES,

THERE ARE OTHER JOBSITES I VISIT, THEY ARE SOO MATURE AND DTRAIGHT TO THE POINT, BUT THIS JOB SITE IS BECOMING SOMETHING ELSE, I THINK THINGS WILL GET BETTER, SO U GOT TO LISTEN VERY WELL.
GO through SOME OF THESE POSTINGS AND SIMPLY REMOVE THE ONES YOU THINK don't HAVE THE MAIN PURPOSE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE

This is very correct. Many posters post fraudulent posts just to collect emails of people who they later spam with mails of proposals and all that. The first thing to do is to moderate of posts that ask for email address and then also check individual websites or blogs to see if they direct to real jobs or are just asking people for personal information. This way u can safeguard peoples privacy on this forum and still maintain sanity and intergrity.

Obviously most of the job posters use blogs to promote google adsense which also leads to possible international openings, which could be helpful. But those that lead to the collection of sensitive data should be banned immediately.
Re: Employers And Job Seekers: Any Problems With Our Job Forum? by yicob(m): 1:46pm On Oct 21, 2008
All those that said Seun should ban anybody that directs job links to his or her blog. . . . . .Will he ban thousands of people? Funny enough, most job posters are also job finders with no means of livelyhood.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Let's Reminisce! / Alien Priest Discovered In Mona Lisa painting / JPTS Churns Out Over 400 M.sc Graduates At 4th Convocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.